~ your useable shortlist

this is almost exactly my uc right now, except i don’t think i would actually use cosette, so i swapped her out for thea. (oooo, thea cosette would be so pretty!) edit: oh gosh, i forgot about june! my sweet, sweet june! ok, thea’s off the list.

the girls:

1. marie - just sweet, elegant and timeless. for me, she is the perfect name.
  2. anya - i love the sleek beauty and simplicity.
  3. rose - i realized my life would be complete without a little rose.
  4. june - summery, bright and youthful.
  5. clara - a name that ages and travels well, and with such grace.

the boys:

1. august - handsome yet outdoorsy, with the sweet nickname gus.
  2. finnian - definitely a name for a little woodsy prince. finn makes it familiar.
  3. wesley - my long time love, with the nickname wes.
  4. declan - fallen hard for this recently. handsome for a little one and an adult.
  5. todd - so sweet. been on my list for so long, then dps made me love it more.

adding meanings where applicable: marie “sea of sorrows”, anya “grace”, clara “clear + bright”, august “great + magnificent”, finnian “fair”, wesley “western meadow”, declan “full of goodness, man of prayer”, todd “fox.”

12 Likes

sylvester “sal // scully” (my favorite name of all time :heart: an honor for a dear relative)
atreyu “tru” (such a cool sound !! fresh but still somewhat familiar)
robinson “rocky” (it took me a long time to find a name that could feasibly have the nn rocky but i found it and i adore him)
ambrose “abbey” (ambrose is so sweet & abbey is an honor for several loved ones)
indiana (i just adore the sound, look, and vibe of indiana, even though i can’t find a proper nn for him)

honorable mentions: zephaniah “zeff,” benedict “bucky,” and viggo

ariadne “artie” (i’ve loved ariadne for a long time, but when i realized that it could have the nn artie it shot to the top of my list)
kahlo “loki” (thanks to night @leafygreens i fell in love with kahlo & i adore the nn loki, even if it is a bit of a stretch)
saphira “shiro” (i found this name in eragon (christopher paolini) and fell in love with it !!)
thora “teddy // rory” (it’s a sleek, streamlined version of thaddea !! what’s not to love !!)
tied: rhiannon “ronny” & romilly “romy” (can’t decide between these two)

honorable mention: cecily “sully”

11 Likes

Girls:

1. [name_f]Cosima[/name_f]
  2. [name_f]Elettra[/name_f]
  3. [name_f]Vittoria[/name_f]
  4. [name_f]Thea[/name_f]- maybe short for [name_f]Theodora[/name_f] or [name_f]Dorothea[/name_f]
  5. [name_u]Romy[/name_u]

Boys:

1. [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] - I dont love [name_u]Charles[/name_u] but I feel charlie is to nicknamey as a full name
  2. [name_m]Luciano[/name_m]
  3. [name_m]Vincent[/name_m] “Vinny or Vince”
  4. [name_m]Wolfgang[/name_m] “Wolf”
  5. [name_u]Seven[/name_u] - maybe too adventurous but i just love it
6 Likes

Both lists are in no particular order. This was a great experiment, because it forced me to think about what names I’d realistically actually use for a kid instead of just what I like most hypothetically! I do genuinely adore every name on this list though. Middle name would be an honor name no matter what, most likely Clary or John.

BOYS

1. Simon
  2. Rowan
  3. Julian “Jules” (or just Julian)
  4. Felix
  5. Victor “Tory”

GIRLS

1. Athena “Thea” (or just Athena)
  2. April
  3. Roxanne “Roxy”
  4. Georgia
  5. Isadora “Sadie”
10 Likes

this is a great idea! the boy list was very hard for me though ^^

girls:

may

i think it’s pretty obvious that i like may! the “mae” spelling is pretty as well, but i prefer the -y. may’s been on my list forever. may’s also for maybonne mullen, and it’s my father’s birth month! it’s also a very subtle lana del rey nod by way of may jailer, and though i wouldn’t want to name my daughter after her, she was important to me in my high school years, so

sabine

for the magician’s assistant, which is my favourite book. this is also the name that my mother wanted to name me, but my father vetoed. i also like sally, my best friend’s name, as a stretchy nickname!

june/juna

silver and sunshine. also reminds me of june carter cash and “junebug” by the b-52s. i wouldn’t use if i already had a may, of course, but i still adore it!

caroline

this is probably the most meaningful name on my list. i actually don’t love it objectively, but i wouldn’t be surprised if it ends up in the middle spot. this was my mother’s nickname growing up, and it’s also similar (though unrelated) to her real name! it’s also a nod to north carolina, where i was born, and it’s got so many good song associations: caroline, no; caroline says i & ii, caroline by fleetwood mac…

betty

i love betty so much, even though it’s slightly tainted in my family by association with my purportedly terrible great-grandmother. another very sunshiney name - not all names have colour associations for me, but betty is definitely gold!

boys:

bill

i just love bill! it’s not an honour or anything, and i’m not at all fond of william, but bill just clicked for me one day and hasn’t left the top of my list since. it’s short and spunky and has that midcentury vibe. i also love the idea of willa “bill” on a girl, but i don’t think i would give a kid a name based solely on my assumption that a certain nickname would stick.

sandy

this is a diminutive of my father’s name, but it’s not the one he uses, so i like that it’s a subtler nod. reminds me of rivers and beaches and summertime, and also of the westing game and sand by nancy sinatra & lee hazlewood and fourth of july, asbury park by bruce springsteen. plus i quite like andy as a nickname, even if it’s the exact same syllable count ^^

frank

ah, love frank! this was my first ever real love for a boy name, and it’s also my mother’s top pick for any male children i might have, so using it would make her happy. i also love the “free” meaning, and how it shares a meaning with caroline! i’m only hesitant because i hate frankie.

carey

the nickname by which my mother’s gone her whole life, and for carey by joni mitchell, the first song i ever knew all the words to. sure is hard to leave you, carey…except i’m not sure on nickname potential. still love it!

nesha

this is a diminutive of “nebojsa,” which is my great-uncle’s name; it’s also another name that was a contender if i had been a boy. my parents were ahead of their time! i think it has the same gentle appeal as sasha, but it’s more uncommon! i have a clunky yugoslav honour name in the middle spot, and i think it would make a nice connection. i’d call him neshko.

11 Likes

Girls

1. [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] - sounds cheerful and welcoming + honors multiple family members
  2. [name_u]Willow[/name_u] - love the spiritual meaning behind it
  3. [name_f]Jeanette[/name_f] “Etta” - I’m a 4th generation “ette” name and I’d like to continue the tradition
  4. [name_f]Freya[/name_f] - such a strong name representing all the things I love
  5. [name_f]Eilidh[/name_f] - adore the meaning but probably wouldn’t use it if I use [name_f]Daisy[/name_f], they sound too similar to me

Boys

1. [name_u]Bodhi[/name_u] - honor name with spiritual significance
  2. [name_u]Alden[/name_u] - family name
  3. [name_m]Gideon[/name_m] - instantly makes me happy when I hear this name
  4. [name_u]Thaddeus[/name_u] “Tadhg” - underused name with a nice meaning, nickname honors Irish heritage
  5. [name_m]Percival[/name_m] “Pearce” - another strong name with family ties
8 Likes

i feel like my favorites and style is always changing haha but here’s what i would use as of right now

girls
~eliza
honor name, meaningful, and been a favorite since i was a little kid- my “everlasting name”
~charlotte or just charlie
honors someone very special who passed away
~colette nn coco (not sure if charlotte and colette
would work together tho…)
honors my sibling and has the adorable nn coco
~saylor
connects to my grandfather
~willow
ok, honestly i used to despise this name lol. then i started to like the name willa and then just instantly fell in love with willow for some reason!

boys
~cruz/crew/cru
honestly just love this name for no reason lol
~sol
lovely meaning and love short and sweet boys names
~renley nn ren
love this name on a boy with the nn ren
~wells
@hannahwren suggested this name and i absolutely adore it
~murphy
saw this name on instagram and just think it’s so cute but also very strong and masculine sounding

honorable mention for river which i love on either boys or girls

7 Likes

maxine is such a lovely middle alternative to the overused marie! and i’ve recently been crushing on jem!! i think it’s a perfect name for a little boy! :bug:

1 Like

i know what you mean! i think when you love names, it gets hard to find the name. you have a darling short list though, i adore all of these names!

such cool names; they definitely give me a dark and mystical vibe! i loved reading the stories behind them as well. plus i would love to meet a little kahlo!!

1 Like

these names are so fun and spunky!! and you are INCREDIBLE at thinking of nicknames. thora “rory” is especially getting to me. okay and cecily “sully” :pleading_face:

2 Likes

these are so fun! and maybe not up your alley, but i think charlie seven would be brilliant on a little boy! :sauropod:

4 Likes

oh may, your list gives me all the retro vibes and i absolutely LOVE it. they have an endless summer sort of vibe for me. bill, sabine, carey, june, frank and betty are especially adorable.

3 Likes

It’s hard for me to come up with 5 boy names, but at the moment these are probably my top. On the other hand it was tough to choose only 5 girl names, as I find those much easier to like

Boys:

1. [name_u]Clifford[/name_u] “Kit” - my grandpa’s name with a more modern nickname even though it’s a bit of a stretch
  2. [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] “Teddy” - i just love saying [name_m]Theodore[/name_m]
  3. [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] “Sully” - my grandma’s maiden name
  4. [name_m]Roger[/name_m] - lots of pop culture refs that I adore
  5. [name_u]Jude[/name_u] - long time favorite from when I was in high school

Girls:

1. [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] - an honor name
  2. [name_f]Winifred[/name_f] “Winnie”
  3. [name_f]Flora[/name_f]
  4. [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] “Penny” or “Nellie”
  5. [name_f]Belle[/name_f]

I changed my number 5 girl names a few times before landing on [name_f]Belle[/name_f], besides [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] pretty much the reason behind all of the girl names is I like the way they sound

10 Likes

aww your list is so sweet! i feel like it’s just full of names you can’t help but love. they’re all in that perfect sweet spot, imo. and i remember suggesting wells (as a brother for cruz and george i think it was) !! i’m so glad you still like it. it’s still one of my favorite names.

i was formerly @hannahwren btw. i got a new account :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

oooh ok!! i’ve been obsessed with it ever since :heart_eyes:

1 Like

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] there.

This sounds fun! And way harder taking my husband’s opinions into account. I’ll see what I can come up with. :blush:

Girls-

1. Guinevere-I love [name_f]Guinevere[/name_f] so much. She’s been my #1 girl since I was in high school (20 years ago!) It’s just elegant & mysterious & strong & feminine & well known but unique. Thankfully my husband seems to like it.

2. Clementine-I love this one too. I don’t quite remember the moment where I fell in love with it. It’s just so smiley & artsy & lovable. Another well known yet not heard too often choice.

3. Olive-I love the glamorous & spunky vibe of this one. I’m not quite sure the moment that I decided that I loved this one either?

4. Eleanor-I love this name too, & I know that DH does. I really like it for the nn [name_f]Nellie[/name_f], even though I don’t think my husband is as much into that one. [name_f]Nellie[/name_f] was my great grandmother, & it’s a bit less over done than [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]. I do know when I started liking [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] though. I’ve loved the name [name_u]Finn[/name_u] for years & years, & I came across siblings named [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] & [name_u]Finn[/name_u] at the children’s museum playing. I loved the sibling set so much, that I decided [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] was a worthy favorite.

5. Greta-This is really sweet & quiet & lovable. And DH is obsessed w/the nn [name_f]Gerty[/name_f]. I think that [name_f]Greta[/name_f] nn [name_f]Gerty[/name_f] is fun & interesting.

And honorable mentions that would be on the list if it weren’t for DH’s opinions are [name_f]Daisy[/name_f], [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] & [name_f]Nuala[/name_f]

Boys-

1. Albert-This isn’t my number one favorite, but it was my grandpa’s name & DH loves it too. It feels like a special very usable choice.

2. Bastian-DH loves this one too, & I find it handsome & a bit mysterious. It’s fairly simple but unique, which is a plus.

3. Ewan-I love [name_m]Ewan[/name_m] & I think I could talk my husband into it? We have a very Irish last name & most of our little nephews have Gaelic names. A little [name_m]Ewan[/name_m] would fit in really well. It’s soft & kind & smart & simple but not popular.

4. Solomon-I don’t even know if I like this that much . DH really likes it, & I love the nn [name_u]Sol[/name_u] & [name_m]Solly[/name_m]. [name_f]My[/name_f] great grandpa was just [name_u]Sol[/name_u], so it’s an honor name at least.

5. Finnian-I’d prefer just [name_u]Finn[/name_u], but I think I’m more likely to talk DH into [name_m]Finnian[/name_m] nn [name_u]Finn[/name_u]. Because it’s kind of quirky & Irish. I fell in love w/Finlay in 1997 when I was 14. I was so ahead of the trends, right? :grin: I was reading a baby name book on a family road trip. :joy: I shortly after decided that I love anything [name_u]Finn[/name_u] related.

Honorable mentions that I’d use in a heartbeat if DH was on board are [name_u]Julian[/name_u], [name_u]Nolan[/name_u] & [name_u]Shiloh[/name_u].

11 Likes

Boys:
Benjamin Patrick - has been my #1 since I was 10 so this one is a given
Beckett Ried - honors a super influential person in my life but also i just really love the name :blush:
Augustus Grant - idk i just really love Augustus
Everett Joel - so classy & cute to me! (not sure how well Beckett & Everett would work though)
Noah Martin - love this one so much for absolutely now reason

Girls
Emilia Paige - my #1 always
Reese Caroline - been loving Reese more and more every day
Adeline Faith - love Adeline sm!
Harper Evangeline - harper is just so cute & I love it paired with Evangeline
June Olivia - been loving June so much lately & I think it fits the vibe of the others

7 Likes

boys:

1. jasper ~ jay
  2. hollis ~ though i had no intentions of this being an honor name, by grandfather who passed away when i was about six was born on christmas so this is a subtle nod to him.
  3. theodore ~ teddy
  4. finch ~ finn
  5. cassian ~ cass

girls:

1. mina ~ minnie
  2. sophia ~ sophie
  3. vivian ~ vivi
  4. irene ~ ren
  5. eleanor ~ this is another subtle honor name as my grandma’s mom’s name was ellen.
10 Likes

Girls

1. [name_u]Blair[/name_u]
  2. [name_f]Etta[/name_f]
  3. [name_f]Pia[/name_f]
  4. [name_f]Ivy[/name_f]
  5. [name_f]Clea[/name_f]

Boys

1. [name_u]Evan[/name_u]
  2. [name_m]Hugo[/name_m]
  3. [name_u]Arthur[/name_u]
  4. [name_u]Charlie[/name_u]