~ your useable shortlist

hello friends! :blossom:

like all of you, i love names. and so, i have many lists, and whenever i make a list of favorites, it ends up being super long.

i want to see your useable shortlist, five names for girls and five names for boys that you would actually use, and (to make it a little harder) if you have a significant other, pick names they haven’t vetoed!

to be honest, it took me so long to make my list, but here it is:

BOYS

1. oliver
  2. theodore ~ theo
  3. august ~ auggie
  4. hugo
  5. simon

GIRLS

1. eleanor ~ nora
  2. margot
  3. ivy
  4. florence
  5. willa

if you’d like to include a little about each name and why it’s on your list, i’d love to read it! i might include mine later.

:orange_heart: marnie

35 Likes

all of the names on your shortlist are so lovely! :two_hearts:

unfortunately my boyfriend and i have never really talked names (he likes henson & constanza, but that’s all he’s told me) so going off of my favorites alone:

boys:

1. winter “win” - i love all win- names and winter has a connection to my favorite group
  2. elio “leo” (wouldn’t work with my partner’s name, though)
  3. romulus “romy”
  4. percival “percy”
  5. perseus “percy”

girls:

1. andromeda “romy/anna/roma” - my absolute favorite name atm; i love the space connection, how unique it is, and the nicknames
  2. ophelia “lia”
  3. persephone “percy”
  4. astrea “astra”
  5. juno “june/junie”
15 Likes

Right now, I would say

Girls

1. [name_f]Sadie[/name_f]
  2. [name_f]Caroline[/name_f]
  3. [name_f]Maisie[/name_f] (I wouldn’t use it if I’d already used [name_f]Sadie[/name_f], though)
  4. [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] (probably wouldn’t use with Caroline)
  5. [name_f]Anna[/name_f]

Boys

1. [name_m]Samuel[/name_m]
  2. [name_u]Everett[/name_u]
  3. [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u]
  4. [name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m]
  5. [name_m]Russell[/name_m]
9 Likes

Girls:

1. [name_f]Sarai[/name_f] - my forever favourite, princessy without the frills and just the best name ever (to me)
  2. [name_f]Cherith[/name_f] - I adore her meaning and the warm, cherished feel
  3. [name_f]Una[/name_f] - for her distinctive, endearing yet sparky sound
  4. [name_f]Mabli[/name_f] - cuddly with a bit of kick and I love the meaning
  5. [name_f]Tansy[/name_f] - i had to really think through my lists but I think [name_f]Tansy[/name_f] wins (for today at least). I like the gentle yet outdoorsy feel, in touch with nature, but not too rough

Boys:

1. [name_m]Sholto[/name_m] - rugged but gentle and taken from a book I like a lot!
  2. [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] - sweet and cheerful but adventuorus too -met the loveliest kid called [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] and he really sold it to me
  3. [name_u]August[/name_u] - warm and lovely, with a kind of gentlness (wow, there might be a theme here)
  4. [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] -I love the adventuorus vibe, the ocean feel, and the kindness it holds within it
  5. [name_u]Ezra[/name_u] - it’s soft and warm and reminds me of one of my favourite books!

I really struggled with the boys names as I only really love two

Your list is gorgous too!! [name_u]Florence[/name_u], [name_f]Willa[/name_f], [name_f]Margot[/name_f], [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] and [name_u]August[/name_u] are beautiful

9 Likes

Yes! I have many different categories of lists as well. And they’re always changing
 my SO has vetoed some of my more “unusual” choices too. I adore your lists though! Especially your girls’ list is really making my heart sing. [name_f]My[/name_f] shortlist as of today, (approved by SO) would be:

Boys:

1. [name_u]Rio[/name_u]
  2. [name_u]Luca[/name_u]
  3. [name_m]Emilio[/name_m] “Milo” or “Elio”
  4. [name_m]Abel[/name_m] or [name_u]Theo[/name_u]
  5. [name_u]Atlas[/name_u] or [name_m]Apollo[/name_m]

Girls:

1. [name_f]Lola[/name_f]
  2. [name_u]Vida[/name_u]
  3. [name_f]Marina[/name_f]
  4. [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] or [name_f]Penelope[/name_f]
  5. [name_u]Alma[/name_u] or [name_f]Ivy[/name_f]
9 Likes

This is a great question/post! It’ll be hard to narrow down but here we go. Names are in alphabetical order, not in order of preference.

BOYS

[name_u]Asa[/name_u] - many different origins and meanings, soft
[name_u]August[/name_u] - love this name, probably my favourite boy name
[name_u]Julian[/name_u] - classic and timeless, love the nn [name_u]Jules[/name_u]
[name_m]Otis[/name_m] - classic but unexpected, good namesake
[name_u]Wren[/name_u] - this might be controversial but I think it would be a wonderful name for a boy

I love soft boy names and all of these fit into that category imo.

GIRLS
[name_u]Hazel[/name_u] - classic but not too popular, autumnal
[name_u]June[/name_u] - warm, sunny, classic but not ‘old sounding’
[name_f]Frida[/name_f] - love that it’s instantly recognizable (probably because of a certain Frida) but very rarely used; love the meaning
[name_f]Maeve[/name_f] - my favourite meaning of a name ever - ‘she who intoxicates’
[name_f]Margot[/name_f] - probably my absolute favourite name, feminine yet strong
+
I have to include two more names (I apologize for breaking the rules but my list wouldn’t be complete without them)
[name_f]Blythe[/name_f] - I love the happy meaning combined with the slightly murky, somber sound and how unusual yet classical it is, and these same reasons are why I’d probably hesitate
[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] - timeless classic, worried about popularity and ‘royalty’

10 Likes

This is fun! I love that we have to pick names that our significant other agrees on.

BOYS:

[name_m]Bastien[/name_m]
[name_m]Mathias[/name_m]
[name_u]Tristan[/name_u]
[name_u]Arthur[/name_u]
[name_u]Leo[/name_u]

GIRLS:

[name_f]Eve[/name_f]
[name_u]Cleo[/name_u]
[name_f]Clara[/name_f]
[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]
[name_f]Estelle[/name_f]

8 Likes

BOYS

1. [name_m]Malachy[/name_m]
  2. [name_m]Dashiell[/name_m]
  3. [name_m]Quillan[/name_m]
    4.Duncan
    5.Finnian

GIRLS

1. [name_f]Caledonia[/name_f] “Callie” (We used this one!)
  2. [name_f]Jessamina[/name_f]
  3. [name_f]Aubrianna[/name_f]
  4. [name_f]Octavia[/name_f]
  5. [name_f]Thomasina[/name_f]
8 Likes

These are names we have agreed we both like. I have put them in the order I like them but we haven’t decided if they will be first names or one of the middle names. It was hard to pick just 5 boy names though and even harder to find 5 girl names I truly love.

Cassian
Ariston
Anthem
Breyer
Rhyett

Mazikeen
Adaleia
Dove
Juliette
Blaire

4 Likes

girls

eliza
eleanor
josephine (middle)
libby
manon
maxine (middle)
romy

boys

cosmo (middle)
jem
laurence
percy
theodore

11 Likes

Right now

Girls:

1. [name_f]Ada[/name_f]
  2. [name_u]Ruby[/name_u]
  3. [name_f]Astoria[/name_f]
  4. [name_f]Isla[/name_f]
  5. [name_f]Clover[/name_f]

Boys:

1. [name_m]Calvin[/name_m]
  2. [name_u]Franklin[/name_u]
  3. [name_u]Hollis[/name_u]
  4. [name_m]Josiah[/name_m]
  5. [name_m]Lachlan[/name_m]

This is hard! I used to have super long lists, put tons of effort into combos, etc. Now it is just difficult to find meaningful names. With the exception of [name_f]Ada[/name_f], these names are mainly just “we liked it” whereas our son’s name has a ton of significance. Sigh.

8 Likes

Girls
[name_f]Amity[/name_f]
[name_f]Sophronia[/name_f]
[name_f]Cosette[/name_f]
[name_f]Winifred[/name_f]
[name_f]Dorothea[/name_f]
(I love so many, but I have 6 top contenders so + Lucienne)

Boys
[name_m]Caspar[/name_m]
[name_u]Dublin[/name_u]
[name_u]Elias[/name_u]
[name_u]Atlas[/name_u]
Sebastion
(Boy names aren’t my thing so my list of useable names for boys was already 5)

7 Likes

wow revere, your list is just so dreamy! winter (love this on a boy!), elio, andromeda (especially with the nn “romy”), ophelia, and juno are my personal favorites. :new_moon_with_face:

2 Likes

i love your cuddly, classic style. charlotte and maisie are so sweet, and i love everett and samuel from your boys list.

2 Likes

grace, i absolutely love your list! tristan (i’m a little biased, because it’s my boyfriend’s name), august, caspian, mabli, una, and tansy are so eclectic and cool :crystal_ball:

2 Likes

we definitely have similar styles, because i think your list is gorgeous!

i adore emilio, and these nicknames are brilliant! i recently met a baby named this, and his parents call him “leo”!

3 Likes

gorgeous lists, and i would’ve broken the rules for charlotte and blythe as well :orange_heart:

2 Likes

i love your style of classic, yet uncommon names! and btw, I think your son’s name is just dashing! :teddy_bear:

2 Likes

love love love!!

and i’m so happy to see finnian and duncan on a list!

2 Likes

[name_f]My[/name_f] top 5’s~

Girls

[name_u]Kahlo[/name_u]

[name_f]My[/name_f] favorite, in honor of my passed great grandma [name_u]Carmen[/name_u] [name_f]Delia[/name_f] for multiple reasons. I absolutely adore the vibe and the connection to my grandma. I just love it so so much

[name_f]Amparo[/name_f]

[name_m]Just[/name_m] barely behind [name_u]Kahlo[/name_u], [name_f]Amparo[/name_f] is one I just love so much. It’s an honor for my mother, [name_f]Amie[/name_f]. I love the glamorous, tough, old Latin Hollywood feel I get from it

[name_f]Azula[/name_f]

I loved this one for a long time but it only jumped so high a year or so ago. It’s the name of one of my favorite characters in one of my favorite shows, Avatar: The Last Airbender. It also has a connection to my younger sister.

[name_f]Fatima[/name_f]

I only fell for this super recently, I used to not like it at all but one day it just kinda clicked and I fell hard. [name_m]Just[/name_m] absolutely loved it one day, I love how full of history it is and the whole vibe

[name_f]Hecate[/name_f]

It’s just so spunky!! It’s so grungy and glamorous and smart and I love the connection to the goddess

Boys

[name_m]Osiris[/name_m]

[name_f]My[/name_f] favorite since I was 12 years old and I still adore it :black_heart: I use it as an honor for my dad [name_m]Omar[/name_m]. I love the dark and regal vibe I get, how it feels so under the radar yet so strong and sparkly

Zephiro

I loved [name_u]Zephyr[/name_u] but when Zephiro came to me I just loved it so much, it just felt right. It’s kind of an alternative spelling to Zefiro and CĂ©firo, I changed it to a ph to make it more similar to [name_u]Zephyr[/name_u]. I feels so easy going and fun while being a little grounded

[name_m]Prospero[/name_m]

I first heard this from The [name_u]Tempest[/name_u] which is favorite [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m] play. Other than that association I just really love it! I love the dark academia, slight gothic victoriana vibe it has and how simple yet interesting it is

[name_u]Loki[/name_u]

This one means a lot actually. One of my absolute favorite characters is [name_u]Loki[/name_u] from [name_u]Marvel[/name_u]. That character helped me through so much, definitely a comfort character to me. Aside from that I just really like the name!

[name_u]Raven[/name_u]

This was my #2 for a long time, slowly started loving others more but I still adore [name_u]Raven[/name_u]. So edgy and modern but cozy

10 Likes