Zeke, Oliver, Felix, Finn or something else??

My husband and I had picked [name]Oliver[/name] as our boy’s name, and then we found out how popular it is. I still love it the most of any name we’ve considered, but how popular does everyone really think it is? [name]Finn[/name] was or backup name, but we found out that it too is really popular. What are your takes on how popular each [name]Oliver[/name] and [name]Finn[/name] are??

What do people think of [name]Felix[/name]? My husband loves it, but I’m not connecting with it in the way I do with [name]FInn[/name] and [name]Oliver[/name].

FInally, we are considering [name]Zeke[/name]. Again, my husband loves it, and I like it, but it seems to me that people consider it a nickname for [name]Ezekiel[/name]. Is that your take or could it stand alone without being associated with [name]Ezekiel[/name] (I really dislike that name and also don’t want a name that’s such a blatant biblical reference).

Please help! I am due in 5 weeks and I have looked at hundreds of thousands of names and am now desperate and due very soon, and my husband and I cannot agree. Please please help!

I think [name]Oliver[/name] and [name]Finn[/name] are rising in popularity - it depends where you live though? I’d say in the USA [name]Finn[/name] would be more popular and [name]Oliver[/name] less, and in the UK the other way around.

I really dislike [name]Zeke[/name] as a full name. People will assume his name is [name]Ezekiel[/name] and it will just be confusing.

[name]Felix[/name] is wonderful, though, I hope you use that! :slight_smile:

Best of luck, Elo x

THank you! I appreciate it! Any other thoughts from others would be fantastic too.

Oh, [name]Oliver[/name] is one of my favourite names for a boy. I just think it’s handsome but still has a quirky, offbeat style despite its popularity in some areas. My second choice would be [name]Felix[/name] - love the meaning “happy and prosperous” and like the “x” ending. [name]Both[/name] [name]Zeke[/name] and [name]Finn[/name] seem incomplete to me and should be used only as nicknames. [name]Zeke[/name] would be a cool nn for [name]Ezekiel[/name] and [name]Finn[/name] can be used as a short form for a number of great Irish names like [name]Finnegan[/name], [name]Finnian[/name], [name]Fintan[/name] or [name]Finnbarr[/name]. Oh, the Irish love their Finns! I know, I’m Irish! Other names you might like: [name]Sebastian[/name], [name]Xavier[/name], [name]Leo[/name], [name]Julian[/name], [name]Benedict[/name], [name]Ethan[/name], [name]Theodore[/name], [name]Gabriel[/name], [name]Tristan[/name], [name]Orlando[/name], [name]Alexander[/name], [name]Nicholas[/name], [name]Nathaniel[/name], [name]Malachi[/name], [name]Damian[/name], [name]Josiah[/name], [name]Eli[/name], [name]Benjamin[/name], [name]Milo[/name] and [name]Jonah[/name]. Good luck to you.

I just met a high schooler whose name was [name]Zeke[/name] (not short for [name]Ezekiel[/name]). My name is [name]Cassie[/name] and everyone assumed it was short for [name]Cassandra[/name] or [name]Cassidy[/name] but it really wasn’t that big of a deal to me.

I hope I don’t hurt your cause but as a mommy to a 4 year old [name]Oliver[/name] I obviously love it - and don’t know any others in my area. Agree with you on avoiding popularity but go with what you love. Good luck!

On a side note since we seem to have similar lists … have you considered [name]Dexter[/name] or [name]Simon[/name]?

[name]Felix[/name] is my favorite. I just love that name. [name]Oliver[/name] is my next favorite, and it’s only just in the top 100, but it has been jumping by about 20 places every year, so that is something to keep in mind. Next would be [name]Zeke[/name], which I like, but I think [name]Felix[/name] is better. My last choice is [name]Finn[/name], which is a good name, but I don’t think it’s a good substitute if [name]Oliver[/name] if too popular. [name]Finn[/name] is a popular TV name, so it’ll likely keep getting popular in real life as well. Also [name]Finn[/name] is more popular than it appears by numbers. There are a lot of boys named just [name]Finn[/name], but there are so many other names that are given that go by [name]Finn[/name] for short forms. [name]Finnian[/name], [name]Phineas[/name], [name]Finnigan[/name], [name]Finnbar[/name], [name]Griffin[/name], and so on. So [name]Finn[/name] is likely just as popular or more popular than [name]Oliver[/name].

I have a 2 year old [name]Oliver[/name] and I love the name. I agree I have been starting to hear it more often and that is dissapointing but I still love it. I also really like [name]Felix[/name] but it doesn’t go too well with my last name. [name]Zeke[/name] is on my list too! I can’t make up my mind either. Since we seem to like similar names…I also have [name]Baxter[/name], [name]Ike[/name], [name]Otto[/name], [name]Xavier[/name] (I love it but might be too popular?) and [name]Oscar[/name] (but may be too close to [name]Oliver[/name] for me) on my list. On a side note…I do like the name [name]Finn[/name] but it is pretty popular and if you were going to go in that direction I’d stick with [name]Oliver[/name]. :smiley:

[name]Felix[/name] is my favorite off your list. It is a little more adventerous then the other names on your list. I really dont think [name]Oliver[/name] that common, and I wouldnt let it stop you from using it either. Have you checked the SSA list for your state? [name]Oliver[/name] may not even rank in your top 100, it doesnt here. [name]Finn[/name] is nice, but it feels a little trendy to me. Maybe [name]Fintan[/name] or [name]Griffin[/name] nn [name]Finn[/name]? [name]Zeke[/name] sounds like a dogs name imho.

I absolutely LOVEEEE [name]Felix[/name]! What an all-around great name–interesting sound, good meaning, cute for a kid and sophisticated for an adult! I would advise you not to go with [name]Oliver[/name]. I work at a children’s clothing store and I have to tell you that I hear the name [name]Oliver[/name] every single day I go to work. I used to like the name but by now it has become really dull to me. I don’t like [name]Finn[/name] or [name]Zeke[/name] at all, and you definitely shouldn’t use it if you don’t like [name]Ezekiel[/name]. I really dislike that name too, and I would assume that [name]Zeke[/name] was a nickname for [name]Ezekiel[/name] (yes, blatantly religious as you mentioned). Go with [name]Felix[/name]!

I am being induced one week from today, and my husband and I had also settled on [name]Oliver[/name]! I love the name. But I have a hard time with getting doubtful if I hear people say negative things – someone said to me (I couldn’t believe it), ‘you CAN’T name him [name]Oliver[/name]!’ because she didn’t like it. That messed with my head! My oldest son isn’t crazy about it either. Then I read jackiet’s post & wish I hadn’t! lol
For the record, I’m an American living in [name]Ireland[/name] – so if you live in the States, my son wouldn’t be one more [name]Oliver[/name] to add to the American new baby pool :slight_smile: We’re all the way across the pond.
And how about [name]Fionn[/name]? That’s another spin on [name]Finn[/name]. Still Irish.

I’ve never been a fan of [name]Felix[/name], sorry, but I love the name [name]Oliver[/name]. If that’s your favorite, I think you should use it. I work with kids and I’ve yet to meet an [name]Oliver[/name].

Good luck!

I just stumbled across this because we named our now 3-month-old son [name]Zeke[/name], and I was wondering what other people think about it and how popular it is. I definitely get some weird looks from people when I tell them his name is just [name]Zeke[/name], but it was his greatgrandpa’s nickname so it has sentimental value. He may hate us later for giving him a “nickname” name, but most of the responses have been positive and at least he won’t be one of many Finns (cool, but getting way too popular in my opinion) or Aidens in his class. I liked the name [name]Oliver[/name] as well, but that is the name of our good friends’ dog :confused: