Zendaya

Hello

What is your opinion on the name [name_f]Zendaya[/name_f]? I’ve come to really like it but I’m interested in knowing how it’s perceived in general. thanks!

I just think of the singer.

I’ve never heard this outside of the pop star or whoever she is. She seems like an ok namesake, although I wouldn’t use the name now.

It’s a one-person name in my opinion. Although she’s not as popular as someone like Beyoncé, [name_f]Madonna[/name_f] or [name_f]Shakira[/name_f] (other one person names), her name is so unheard of that it just feels like it’s hers.

It’s a lovely sounding name and you could by all means use it, but there’d probably be a lot of association with the celebrity, at least at the moment. It’s hard to say whether the pop star [name_f]Zendaya[/name_f] will reach the level of celebrity as [name_f]Beyonce[/name_f] or [name_f]Madonna[/name_f] or whether she will fade, you’d definitely be taking a risk using it at the moment.

The names of other Disney [name_f]Channel[/name_f] stars are still usable, like [name_f]Selena[/name_f] and [name_f]Miley[/name_f]. [name_f]Zendaya[/name_f] is more distinctive than those two, but I don’t think that too many people will make the connection, unless they’re a part of the demographic that she appeals to (tweens, basically.) I think [name_f]Zendaya[/name_f] is a pretty name, so if you really like it, I say use it!

I think it’s terrible.

The name does nothing for me.

I think it’s such a pretty, lilting name but it is very associated with the singer/actress. Not that she’s a bad namesake - she’s actually an awesome human being. However, her name is just so unique that it will be perceived as being named after her.

If it’s part of your culture, I can see it working, otherwise it’s one of those that would appear to be “trying too hard” in my opinion.

I also had a feeling that this name was “made up” by whomever named the singer [name_f]Zendaya[/name_f], and although there are some internet sources saying it’s an African or [name_f]Shona[/name_f] name, I can’t find much substansial evidence. If this name is largely “made up” and there aren’t many other [name_f]Zendaya[/name_f]'s before the one named pop star, I can’t see it working.

This name has a lot of differences from other Disney stars’. For one, [name_f]Miley[/name_f] and [name_f]Selena[/name_f] aren’t single named entertainers. [name_f]Selena[/name_f] is, in fact, a reasonably popular name otherwise, with other famous bearers. [name_f]Miley[/name_f] is unique, and it’s usability is debatable…but it also has the same sound as [name_u]Riley[/name_u], [name_f]Kylie[/name_f], [name_m]Wiley[/name_m], etc. all of which are quite popular. (It’s also not her given name).

[name_f]Zendaya[/name_f] is much more unusual than those.

I honestly think it’s beautiful. [name_f]Zendaya[/name_f] is a lovely choice, and I wouldn’t say it’s too tied to the Disney star.

Yes, the singer, but I rather doubt anyone will care in twenty year (and the demographic she’s popular with is somewhat narrow anyway). Pop culture is a fickle thing - unless you’re [name_u]Michael[/name_u] [name_m]Jackson[/name_m]-level celebrity, people move on rather quickly. Maybe it’s “made up.” Maybe not. Does it really matter if it is? [name_f]Cora[/name_f], [name_f]Wendy[/name_f], and [name_f]Miranda[/name_f] are considered perfectly usable despite this status. I also don’t see how the name’s rarity before said singer makes it unusable. [name_f]Kayla[/name_f] got much of it’s popularity from a soap opera character, and hardly anyone recalls that now.

Weigh thess factors, of course, because the singer is still influential for the moment. But also keep things in perspective and consider how much it will matter in 2030.

I say use it if you love it. It was put on 302 birth certificates last year, so there’s definitely more than one Zendaya now.

It’s absolutely beautiful with a gorgeous meaning - but VERY tied to the singer. Still usable in my opinion but she’d probably get bombarded with '‘like the singer!?"’ at all opportunities which may become annoying.

Due to it’s origins I wouldn’t recommend it unless you are of African-decent.

Gorgeous international name with a great meaning. And [name_f]Zendaya[/name_f] [name_m]Coleman[/name_m]'s a very good girl so it doesn’t have a negative connection. :slight_smile: