Zoe, Zöe, or Zoë

I’m loving the name [name_f]Zoe[/name_f]! But where do you put the dots? Zöe or [name_m]Zo[/name_m]ë? Or is it better as just [name_f]Zoe[/name_f]?

I think [name_f]Zoe[/name_f] is better. Chances are, the “dots” are going to be left off of almost any form with her name on it or will just be a forgotten addition. In my opinion, a vast majority of people know how to pronounce [name_f]Zoe[/name_f] and those that don’t, will ask. I’m not sure the “dots” are wholly necessary.

In the US, just go with [name_f]Zoe[/name_f] with no dots. No one is going to take the time to actually type it up correctly since it takes an additional step in word. Most “systems” won’t even allow it (I’m in HR so I can tell you none of our systems would allow for the dots) and since most things are digital now a days, it would never really be correct anyway.

If you do want the dots, then just be open to the fact that it will never be correct - other than bday cards, etc. As for where to put it, I personally don’t know much about what it means. Isn’t it a pronunciation thing technically? If so, I imagine that where they go depends on what origin you are looking to harness. So, you should research which means what and go with that. If one is Greek and the other is Spanish (for example, I am totally making this up) then which means more to you Greek heritage/culture or Spanish? If neither, then go with which you think is “cutest”. Without knowing anything about it, my vote would be over the o.

My daughter is [name_f]Zoe[/name_f]. In the US you cannot use the marks on any legal paperwork. So [name_f]Zoe[/name_f] she is.