Zsa Zsa as a nickname for Alaska

dont like [name_f]Lassie[/name_f], Laskie, [name_u]Allie[/name_u], [name_u]Sky[/name_u] but love [name_u]Alaska[/name_u] the other nicknames that I consider would be [name_f]Alia[/name_f] and Sass

1 Like

It’s a bit of a stretch for me, especially with that spelling, but I think something like Sasha could work!

It’s a little too stretchy for me, but one of my favorites is Aleu, pronounced ah-loo (like the character from the Balto movies or the Aleutian Islands in Alaska)

Maybe as a pet name. There isn’t much of a Z sound in [name_u]Alaska[/name_u]

That sounds like the kind of name that evolves on its own once the child is born… No, I wouldn’t call a baby named [name_u]Alaska[/name_u] [name_f]Zsa[/name_f] [name_f]Zsa[/name_f], but if it stuck because my younger daughter called her that, then yes!

1 Like

To me there is no sound relation between [name_u]Alaska[/name_u] and [name_f]Zsa[/name_f] [name_f]Zsa[/name_f] (and Im a big fan of stretchy nicknames) so if thats what youre looking for I would say this doesnt work.

However I also think that nicknames can be whatever you want. [name_f]My[/name_f] oldest’s name is [name_f]Winnie[/name_f], her younger sister cant say that and calls her [name_f]Mimi[/name_f], now a lot of people call her [name_f]Mimi[/name_f]. I also know a woman whose name is [name_f]Agnes[/name_f] but her dad called her pip squeak as a child which evolved to pip then to Pep and she’s been known as Pep her whole life. Personally I think you can nickname them whatever you want as long as it feels right.

3 Likes

I think a nickname like that works. [name_f]My[/name_f] family calls me that and it’s not even close to [name_f]Giada[/name_f]! If you were saying something like [name_u]Jo[/name_u] as a nickname for [name_u]Alaska[/name_u] I would be confused. Names like [name_f]Zsa[/name_f] [name_f]Zsa[/name_f] could work on anything I think. :slightly_smiling_face:

Makes sense to me :person_shrugging:

1 Like

Its a stretch but I can see it and im a big fan of super stretchy nicknames so its a thumbs up for me.

!!! Love those movies! I’m now wondering if this is subconsciously why I love ‘Elu’ as a nn for Eloise…

I like a stretchy nickname, this is pushing it a bit even for me but if it works for you! I like Sassy and the previous suggestions of Aleu and Sasha. To me the dominant sound is the ‘sk’ so maybe Aska or Eska?

Having said that, you can’t completely prevent other people in their life going with Allie or Lassie and it sticking, so I’d be cautious if you don’t love the more intuitive nicknames.

1 Like