Zsa Zsa as a nickname for Alaska

dont like [name_f]Lassie[/name_f], Laskie, [name_u]Allie[/name_u], [name_u]Sky[/name_u] but love [name_u]Alaska[/name_u] the other nicknames that I consider would be [name_f]Alia[/name_f] and Sass

1 Like

It’s a bit of a stretch for me, especially with that spelling, but I think something like [name_u]Sasha[/name_u] could work!

It’s a little too stretchy for me, but one of my favorites is Aleu, pronounced ah-loo (like the character from the Balto movies or the Aleutian Islands in Alaska)

Maybe as a pet name. There isn’t much of a Z sound in [name_u]Alaska[/name_u]

That sounds like the kind of name that evolves on its own once the child is born… No, I wouldn’t call a baby named [name_u]Alaska[/name_u] [name_f]Zsa[/name_f] [name_f]Zsa[/name_f], but if it stuck because my younger daughter called her that, then yes!

1 Like

To me there is no sound relation between [name_u]Alaska[/name_u] and [name_f]Zsa[/name_f] [name_f]Zsa[/name_f] (and Im a big fan of stretchy nicknames) so if thats what youre looking for I would say this doesnt work.

However I also think that nicknames can be whatever you want. [name_f]My[/name_f] oldest’s name is [name_f]Winnie[/name_f], her younger sister cant say that and calls her [name_f]Mimi[/name_f], now a lot of people call her [name_f]Mimi[/name_f]. I also know a woman whose name is [name_f]Agnes[/name_f] but her dad called her pip squeak as a child which evolved to pip then to Pep and she’s been known as Pep her whole life. Personally I think you can nickname them whatever you want as long as it feels right.

3 Likes

I think a nickname like that works. [name_f]My[/name_f] family calls me that and it’s not even close to [name_f]Giada[/name_f]! If you were saying something like [name_u]Jo[/name_u] as a nickname for [name_u]Alaska[/name_u] I would be confused. Names like [name_f]Zsa[/name_f] [name_f]Zsa[/name_f] could work on anything I think. :slightly_smiling_face:

Makes sense to me :person_shrugging:

1 Like

Its a stretch but I can see it and im a big fan of super stretchy nicknames so its a thumbs up for me.

!!! [name_u]Love[/name_u] those movies! I’m now wondering if this is subconsciously why I love ‘Elu’ as a nn for Eloise…

I like a stretchy nickname, this is pushing it a bit even for me but if it works for you! I like [name_f]Sassy[/name_f] and the previous suggestions of Aleu and [name_u]Sasha[/name_u]. To me the dominant sound is the ‘sk’ so maybe [name_f]Aska[/name_f] or [name_f]Eska[/name_f]?

Having said that, you can’t completely prevent other people in their life going with [name_u]Allie[/name_u] or [name_f]Lassie[/name_f] and it sticking, so I’d be cautious if you don’t love the more intuitive nicknames.

1 Like