1 name and 3 middle names?

Hello berries!

I decided to edit my post because I have another question.

I love the name Elli0tt C@spian James Archibald LASTNAME.

We would only use the two first names because James and Archibald are to honor our families. It’s important for me that they appear on the birth certificate. We’ll never use them out loud.

I know it could look weird in America but it’s quite common in my culture (we have several middle names and don’t use them out loud. That’s the way we honor family).

If my son can go just with Elli0tt C@spian J. A. I would be okay with that.

What do you think?

Thank you!

I think 2 middle names are fine but I think 3 is just too much name. [name_u]Finn[/name_u] [name_m]Henry[/name_m] [name_m]Charles[/name_m] sounds nice

I wouldn’t put the commas. In several years of working for university admissions, I’ve found that punctuation in names tends to cause headaches with paperwork and computer systems–they’re just not set up to deal with punctuation. [name_m]Even[/name_m] things as common as hyphenated/double-barrelled lastnames can go wonky, let alone commas.

Name him [name_u]Finn[/name_u] [name_m]Augustus[/name_m] [name_m]Henry[/name_m] [name_m]Charles[/name_m] LASTNAME and then call him whatever you like. Often second and third middle names get left off of unofficial documents anyway, so you probably wouldn’t have problems with him going by [name_u]Finn[/name_u] [name_m]Augustus[/name_m] LASTNAME.

PERSONAL OPINION: too much, dear!
I don’t even understand why there has to be a middle name. BUT THREE?!
I think you should just go with ONE first name and ONE middle name.
If you really want to use the other two names, you could give them to other kids.

PS: commas in birth certificates? Really?
That’s just me, don’t feel offended.
:smiley:

I think three middles would be cumbersome in our society, but hey, that is how princes and princesses get named :slight_smile: I’m not sure what would and wouldn’t cause trouble on official documents, but worth considering. My guess is the comma would make things more difficult.

Thanks Jadnf.

And [name_u]Finn[/name_u] [name_m]Henry[/name_m] [name_m]Charles[/name_m] doesn’t work because we prefer a name that we really like as a middle name and then family names!

Lu_Brazil: We have commas on our borth certificate and ID in [name_f]France[/name_f] (I have mine under my eyes). So, it doesn’t look weird to me. I love names, want to please our families and want my kid to have a connection with these awesome persons. I don’t feel like having other kids just to name them, but thanks for the suggestion, it’s interesting :wink:

Labelo, Thanks, I’m glad to hear that!

Personally, I think it’s too much. If he ever wants to travel around, his name won’t ever fit on the forms. My friend I travelled with had problems with this.

I would at least let go of one name. I’m sorry, but it just sounds slightly pretentious to me.

I like a lot of name, but this is too many names even for me. Sorry. Commas in a name look very, very strange to the American eye, as our Federal government does not recognize punctuation of any kind. Some of the individual states may recognize punctuation, but the Federal level simply omits all punctuation – even hyphens (as in [name_f]Mary[/name_f]-[name_f]Jane[/name_f]) and the apostrophes (as in M’kayla). These names would simply read [name_f]Maryjane[/name_f] and Mkayla on official papers. The only way there would be punctuation on an identification card here would be when the surname is placed first (as in [name_m]Jones[/name_m], [name_m]Peter[/name_m] for a man named [name_m]Peter[/name_m] [name_m]Jones[/name_m]. This is common on documents like the driver’s license).

That said, I always vote for the parent choosing whatever they think is best. You asked for opinions though, and there’s mine. [name_f]Hope[/name_f] it is helpful.

I think it’s [name_m]WAY[/name_m] too much, but that’s from an American perspective. [name_m]Even[/name_m] if [name_u]Finn[/name_u] [name_m]Augustus[/name_m] is the first name, it seems like people would generally call him [name_u]Finn[/name_u] anyway, so to have the [name_m]Augustus[/name_m] and two more…I don’t know. If I were using an honor name, I’d like it to get more visibility than as a third/fourth name that will rarely be acknowledged. I think [name_u]Finn[/name_u] [name_m]Augustus[/name_m] LASTNAME is very handsome. Or [name_u]Finn[/name_u] [name_m]Henry[/name_m] [name_m]Charles[/name_m] LASTNAME.

BUT, If it’s common and customary where you are from then I say go for it. It will cause confusion if he is growing up in the US but if the several names are important and sentimental to you then that is what is most important. The commas don’t seem necessary at all whether you use one or all of the names.

Thank you berries!
He will probably grow up in the US. I know if we move in Europe he would not have any problem. I just don’t know how it would works in [name_u]America[/name_u].

I agree with @labelo. No commas are needed. If you want 3 MNs just put [name_u]Finn[/name_u] [name_m]Augustus[/name_m] [name_m]Henry[/name_m] [name_m]Charles[/name_m] LASTNAME.

Would he be called “[name_u]Finn[/name_u] [name_m]Augustus[/name_m]” like it’s his FN? That seems long to say every time. If you mean, [name_u]Finn[/name_u] [name_m]Augustus[/name_m] LASTNAME… what’s the point of the other 2 if you aren’t going to use them? [name_m]Just[/name_m] a thought…
I personally think 2 is enough but hey, to each there own! If it is very important to you and your partner to have 3, then have 3.

[name_u]Finn[/name_u] would be the first name and [name_m]Augustus[/name_m] the middle name that we both love. He would be called [name_u]Finn[/name_u]. But we want to honor our fathers in his name. To honor my mom’s side we can use the last name (unisex name) and honor everybody, it’s easy. But I want a part of my dad too.

I agree with this completely. Also, it took me a second to realize it wasn’t three brothers.

And if someone named their child after me, but named thier daughter [name_u]Finley[/name_u] [name_f]Augusta[/name_f], [name_f]Lauren[/name_f] LASTNAME I’d assume they hated my name or only honored me because they felt obligated.

I agree that it is too much, especially in [name_u]America[/name_u]…legal forms and even college Scantron exams wouldn’t have enough room to put all his legal names down letalone honor the punctuations for the most part. To me it feels like you couldn’t agree and on one or the other, so you crammed them all in there. I feel like it isn’t much of an honor if most of the child’s peers won’t know his middle names or call him by them. But then again, a lot of kids won’t share their middle names, some because they’re just stubborn and they like how mysterious it is and some because they absolutely hate their middle names or are embarrassed by them. I totally understand you wanting to include those important names. But I do think you ought to drop at least one of them. I know families who have used the same first name for their sons for many generations. Example: [name_m]Robert[/name_m] [name_u]Seth[/name_u], [name_m]Robert[/name_m] [name_m]Tanner[/name_m], and they are called by their middle names all their lives. What about [name_m]Charles[/name_m] [name_m]Henry[/name_m] [name_u]Finn[/name_u]… And I know you probably already decided on the names, but I do like the sound of [name_m]Henry[/name_m] [name_m]Charles[/name_m] [name_m]Findlay[/name_m] (And [name_u]Finn[/name_u] for short). Or [name_m]Charles[/name_m] [name_m]Henry[/name_m] [name_m]Findlay[/name_m].

[name_m]Just[/name_m] my thoughts.

I agree that you can name him whatever you like, the names themselves are lovely, but most forms won’t provide enough characters to represent the majority of that.

If you look at the Social Security Administration’s website regarding name character length they state that you are allowed 16 characters the middle name slot.
So even for his SSN he’ll be [name_u]Finn[/name_u] [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] [name_m]Henry[/name_m].
[name_m]Charles[/name_m] would be over the length limit and wouldn’t appear.

I have three middle names, and love them. It doesn’t really matter, it’s not as though you tell people your full name everyday. I wouldn’t use commas, just go for it!

It’s too much. And this is coming from someone who has a kid with two middle names. Three is just too cumbersome and if they only appear on his birth certificate and he’s never going to use them, what’s the point? Would also ditch the commas. For the record, I think [name_u]Finn[/name_u] [name_m]Henry[/name_m] [name_m]Charles[/name_m] sounds really nice!

If two middle names is enough for the [name_m]Prince[/name_m] of the [name_f]England[/name_f], I think it’s enough for us commoners too :slight_smile:

If it is really important to you, go ahead and use three middle names! :slight_smile: I would definitely skip the comma though.