19th century nicknames (Scotland)

During lockdown, we have been going on walks around an old graveyard near us, and ever since I spotted an [name_f]Agnes[/name_f] nicknamed Nantie, I’ve been intrigued by nicknames recorded on gravestones in [name_u]Scotland[/name_u].

Originally, I was only going to look up names in a couple of major cities (Edinburgh, [name_u]Glasgow[/name_u], [name_u]Aberdeen[/name_u]…) to make it less time consuming, but once I started, I got so into it I ended up collecting data from all of [name_u]Scotland[/name_u]. :sweat_smile:

I was mostly interested in 19th century nicknames, and I limited my search to people who passed away between 1855-1915. I used the https://www.findagrave.com/ database as it has a fairly robust search engine, and the records seem mostly accurate.

First, I searched for names that I have spotted at our local graveyard and/or names that were generally popular around that time. I made a list of all the nicknames recorded for these names, and then, I searched the database for the nicknames themselves to get an idea of how widespread they were. Finally, I used MindNodes to create a mind map of all the nicknames for each name. (This has been my entire [name_m]Saturday[/name_m], and it’s been wonderful.)

To organise the chaos somehow, I’ve split the nicknames into categories:

• Popular (40+ people have the nickname)
  • Common (10+)
  • Rare (under 10)
  • [name_u]Unique[/name_u] (only 1)
  • Seemingly random (the nickname doesn’t seem to be derived from the person’s given name)
  • Gaelic (sometimes Gaelic versions of people’s names have been listed as a nickname - my guess is that these people had an “[name_f]English[/name_f]” name for official records and actually went by their Gaelic name)
  • Nicknames from middle names (any nicknames that have been derived from the middle name rather than the first name)

Note on wee (tw: death) - Sadly, most of the nicknames that start with wee, the Scots word for small, are children. I was surprised by how touched I was by them, even though they passed away 100+ years ago.

Nicknames for [name_f]Margaret[/name_f]

It was exciting to find a couple of [name_f]Margaret[/name_f]'s actually nicknamed [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] or [name_f]Daisy[/name_f]. [name_f]My[/name_f] other favourites are [name_f]Retta[/name_f] and [name_u]Mattie[/name_u] / [name_u]Matty[/name_u].

Nicknames for [name_f]Agnes[/name_f]

Agnes
*I forgot to add [name_f]Nessie[/name_f] (28)

[name_f]Nessie[/name_f] is by far the cutest nickname for [name_f]Agnes[/name_f], I think. The others sound a little too childish or harsh.

Nicknames for [name_f]Helen[/name_f]

Helen

Wee [name_f]Bunny[/name_f] made me kind of teary eyed (she died at the age of 2). [name_f]Helen[/name_f] [name_f]Amy[/name_f] “[name_f]Joy[/name_f]” is also really cute.

Nicknames for [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]/Eleanore/Eleanora

Eleanor

I’m in love with [name_f]Lena[/name_f]! I’m not sure if “[name_f]Helenora[/name_f]” was an actual nickname or just an alternate spelling. Historical records can be messy like that.

Nicknames for [name_f]Mary[/name_f]

*I forgot to add [name_f]Mollie[/name_f] (2)

I had no idea that [name_f]Polly[/name_f] was a pretty usual nickname for [name_f]Mary[/name_f] back in the day. (According to Wikipedia, it started out as a variation of [name_f]Molly[/name_f].)

I couldn’t find out why [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Isabella[/name_f] was nicknamed “[name_f]Isabella[/name_f] Inches”. It’s strange. Maybe there’s a story behind that, or it could be an inaccuracy in the database again.

Nicknames for [name_u]Marion[/name_u]

[name_u]Marion[/name_u] [name_m]Bowman[/name_m] “[name_f]Blossom[/name_f]” is beautiful ([name_m]Bowman[/name_m] was probably [name_u]Marion[/name_u]'s mother’s maiden name - you see that a lot with Scottish names. The mother’s maiden name is often added as a middle name). [name_u]Marion[/name_u] “Mousie” is beyond cute.

Not sure what the deal is with [name_u]Marion[/name_u] nn “[name_f]Sarah[/name_f]”. It might be a middle name that was accidentally recorded as a nickname in the database.

Nicknames for [name_f]Catherine[/name_f]

[name_f]Tottie[/name_f], [name_f]Ettie[/name_f], and [name_u]Kit[/name_u] are the sweetest. [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] nn [name_f]Rena[/name_f] is cool and would work as a nickname today.

I don’t know what’s going on with [name_f]Flora[/name_f], [name_f]Christine[/name_f], or [name_f]Lena[/name_f].

[name_f]Isabel/name_f

[name_u]Isa[/name_u]'s popularity took me by surprise! Also, I’m happy to have discovered [name_f]Isabella[/name_f] “La [name_f]Belle[/name_f] [name_f]Electra[/name_f]” [name_m]Henry[/name_m] - she was a magician who would electrocute herself (???) on stage. This website has a really beautiful picture of her. Apparently, she was “[name_f]Lib[/name_f]” to her sister.

Nicknames for [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]

This graph is, unsurprisingly, giant. There have always been a ridiculous amount of nicknames for [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f].

[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] nn “Elbie” is the winnder for me. Elbie sounds like such an intriguing, fresh nickname. “Betz” and “[name_f]Betsy[/name_f]-[name_f]Betty[/name_f]” also made me smile.

[name_f]Elspeth[/name_f] came up a couple of times as a nickname for [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], but it was more common as a separate, full name. [name_f]Elspeth[/name_f] also has some nicknames of its own, including:

Nicknames for [name_f]Jane[/name_f]

Jane

[name_f]Jane[/name_f] is almost nickname proof these days, so it was interesting to discover many options here. However, [name_u]Jean[/name_u] and [name_f]Jeannie[/name_f] / [name_f]Jeanie[/name_f] were often used as full given names in [name_u]Scotland[/name_u] as well.

While looking up [name_f]Jane[/name_f], I also came across some cool nicknames for [name_f]Janet[/name_f]:

Other treasures:

[name_f]Lillias[/name_f] nicknames

Summary

Eliza
Lillie
Lilly
Lily
Lilley
Lillian

(This wasn’t a Scottish record - but I accidentally searched for Aberdeen, US, and came across a Lillias “Lillibelle” :pleading_face:).

[name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f]

Summary

Minnie
Neima
Winnie
Mina
Ina

[name_f]Harriet[/name_f]

Summary

“Wee Hettyn”
Harriet HelenNellie

[name_f]Georgina[/name_f]

Summary

Georgina LovieIna
GeorginaJean
Geogina JessieIna
Georgina StirlingIna

[name_f]Martha[/name_f]

Summary

Myra
Mattie
Matty

Full names for “Nettie

Summary

AlexandraNettie
AnnetteNettie
Jessie ForestNettie

Cool nuns

Summary

Sister IsabellaAmbrose
Sister ElizabethMary de Sales”
Sister MargaretMary Juliana
Sister MargaretJoannes
Sister Margaret “Edburga”
Sister MaryScholastica
Sister CatherineMechtilde
Sister CatherineMary Pacifica

I hope you enjoyed going down this rabbit hole with me. I had so much fun compiling these that I might end up doing the same with boy names. :slightly_smiling_face:

41 Likes

How intriguing! Thank you for sharing this

1 Like

this is so amazing, thank you so much for sharing!!! :heart:

[name_f]Margaret[/name_f] - I love [name_f]Daisy[/name_f], [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] and [name_u]Mattie[/name_u]. It’s interesting to see [name_f]Mia[/name_f] on there too!

[name_f]Agnes[/name_f] - [name_f]Nessie[/name_f] is adorable, surprising to see [name_f]Hattie[/name_f] on there!

[name_f]Helen[/name_f] - i’m actually tearing up at ‘wee bunny’ :pleading_face:

[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] - [name_f]Lena[/name_f] is so cool, it feels so modern!

[name_f]Mary[/name_f] - I adore [name_f]Polly[/name_f] so much, i remember being quite shocked when i first learned it was a nickname for [name_f]Mary[/name_f] haha

[name_u]Marion[/name_u] - Mousie is so cute and wee mysie.

i wonder whether [name_u]Marion[/name_u] in this case was a name given to multiple daughters of the same family based on tradition etc and so they went by their middle name. When researching my family tree i found quite a few cases where all of the children (girl’s more often) had the same first name.

[name_f]Catherine[/name_f] - [name_f]Ettie[/name_f] and [name_f]Tottie[/name_f] are so sweet!

[name_f]Isabel/name_f - [name_f]Tibby[/name_f] and Iddie are cute, also it’s cool to see [name_f]Sybella[/name_f] because i found this name in my family tree too :))

[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] - most of these weren’t too surprising but goodness elizabeth has sooo many nicknames :joy: Elbie is cool - sounds like a variation of [name_m]Albie[/name_m].

[name_f]Jane[/name_f] - i’m very surprised to see so many nicknames for [name_f]Jane[/name_f]! It’s awesome to see [name_u]Jessie[/name_u] there!

that’s adorable!

1 Like

Wow you did a fantastic job! Elbie, [name_f]Lib[/name_f] and Mousie are so adorable. Thank you for sharing it!

1 Like

I think that’s very possible! It might explain [name_f]Flora[/name_f], etc. as a nickname for [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] as well. I was also wondering if [name_f]Cissie[/name_f]/Sissy could be short for sister & commonly used as a nickname in families with multiple Elizabeths, since that came up a few times.

Aaahh, I know. :broken_heart: :sob: It really got to me.

1 Like

Thank you! I’m really crushing on Elbie now.

1 Like

definitely!! when i was doing my family tree it was elizabeth that seemed to be given to lots of the daughters so i think that’s very possible :))

1 Like

Wow, how interesting, thank you!! La [name_f]Belle[/name_f] [name_f]Electra[/name_f] sounds like an intriguing character.

I did not know [name_f]Minnie[/name_f] used to be a common nickname for [name_u]Marion[/name_u].

1 Like

This was an enjoyable read, thanks for sharing it! [name_f]Retta[/name_f] is such a cool nickname for [name_f]Margaret[/name_f]! And [name_f]Isabel[/name_f] nn [name_f]Tibbie[/name_f] is adorable. It just goes to show that creative nicknames aren’t a modern invention at all.

Something I noticed… You listed [name_f]Sybil[/name_f] as a “random” nickname for [name_f]Isabel[/name_f] but I’m wondering if it’s like a contraction? [name_f]Isabel[/name_f] → [name_u]Sabel[/name_u] → [name_f]Sybil[/name_f] maybe? If you say [name_f]Isabel[/name_f] really fast it kinda sounds like [name_f]Sybil[/name_f] :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

That makes sense to me, too! I debated whether to list it as unique or random since [name_f]Isabella[/name_f] - [name_f]Sybella[/name_f] are clearly connected… so [name_f]Sybil[/name_f] kinda works too. I think in the end I went with random since there was only one example of [name_f]Sybil[/name_f] as a nickname for [name_f]Isabella[/name_f]. I would have felt more confident about categorising it if there had been more examples to compare it with.

[name_f]Minnie[/name_f] seemed super popular in general - I wonder if people saw any M name as an excuse to call their daughter [name_f]Minnie[/name_f]? :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

as a scot, this is so cool to see!

I’ve noticed we have a weird thing with nicknames, the amount of people I have in my family that I’ve only known by their nickname, then found out their real name and been totally confused is ridiculous

1 Like

I love that so much. I think it explains why [name_f]Jane[/name_f] - [name_f]Jeanie[/name_f] goes both ways (there were multiple examples of [name_f]Jane[/name_f] nn [name_f]Jeanie[/name_f] as well as [name_f]Jeanie[/name_f] nicknamed [name_f]Jane[/name_f]). No matter what your name is, you’re getting a nickname.

2 Likes

Isabella is a linguistic variation of [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], so while unique as a nickname choice isn’t all that random. :blush:

Sadie is typically a form of [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] though so that one really is out of left field for [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] unless her middle name was [name_f]Sarah[/name_f].

1 Like

I think the reason why is because everybody had the same (or super similar) name, im currently doing my family tree and there are so many helens, margarets, james, johns, agnes, williams etc, and cousins or even siblings having the same (or almost the same) name, there would have to be some creative nicknames to tell them apart

I find it funny now that we get people on here asking if second cousins called emma and emily for example would be too confusing, where they all had the same names and were not bothered at all

5 Likes

That’s a good point re: [name_f]Isabella[/name_f] - I was focused on it as an individual name while compiling this so didn’t recall the connection at all!

The “[name_f]Sadie[/name_f]” is an [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] [name_f]Binny[/name_f] “[name_f]Sadie[/name_f]”. I’m guessing [name_f]Binny[/name_f] was the mother’s maiden name.

2 Likes

Haha, yeah.

Nameberry in 2021: are [name_f]Emma[/name_f] and [name_f]Emily[/name_f] too close for cousins?

[name_u]Aberdeen[/name_u] circa 1880: These are my daughters [name_f]Aggie[/name_f], [name_f]Nannie[/name_f], and Wee [name_f]Nessie[/name_f].

3 Likes

This is so fascinating! Thank you for sharing. Am esp intrigued by seeing [name_f]Janet[/name_f] as a nickname for others bc I always think of [name_f]Janet[/name_f] as the longform and Jinty as the nickname

1 Like

Thank you for sharing this! I have to say [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] nn Elbie is my favorite. I can’t wait to see the boy version of this if you do one.

2 Likes

I wasn’t expecting that at all either! It seems that [name_f]Jane[/name_f] / [name_f]Jeannie[/name_f] / [name_f]Janet[/name_f] were all a little mixed up, since there were [name_f]Janes[/name_f] nicknamed [name_f]Janet[/name_f], Janets nicknamed [name_f]Jane[/name_f], Jeannies nicknamed [name_f]Janet[/name_f], and Janets nicknamed [name_f]Jeannie[/name_f]… took me a while to get my head around them all.

It was so exciting to see Elbie after scrolling past hundreds of pages of [name_f]Lizzie[/name_f], [name_f]Betsy[/name_f], [name_f]Bessy[/name_f]… :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: And thanks! I probably will look into the boys names as well. This was really interesting and fun to put together.

2 Likes

Wow, this is so intriguing! Thanks for sharing with us :slight_smile:

1 Like