2nd boy name help!

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] everyone, I’m a long time name nerd but haven’t been on the forums as much lately! I posted 2 years ago when we were having our first (Solomon, Jude, or Jonah?). He’s now a beautiful 1 year old named [name_u]Jonah[/name_u], we’re very happy with his name and [name_u]Jojo[/name_u] suits him perfectly.

We’re expecting our 2nd boy this fall and are fairly decided on [name_u]August[/name_u] (Augie), with 2 family middle names already set (not sharing for privacy). However, I do highly suspect [name_u]August[/name_u] will be quite popular in the future, much more so than [name_u]Jonah[/name_u], likely even trendy? Undecided on how much that bothers me because we really love it. I feel there’s just so many more names being used in general that this is not quite the Michaels or Jasons of my day, but I guess there’s still something about needing to feel unique as a professed name nerd…

Other names that we have previously had on our list:
[name_m]Solomon[/name_m] - nickname [name_u]Sol[/name_u]. Couldn’t quite get behind this for our first, like it slightly more this time, but don’t want to start a sibset theme
[name_u]Jude[/name_u] - our runner up for [name_u]Jonah[/name_u] but also not necessarily looking for a 2nd J
[name_m]Casper[/name_m] - Not as good of a match with [name_u]Jonah[/name_u]?
[name_u]Finn[/name_u] - would prefer a longer name but don’t like any of them particularly, also just as if not more trendy than [name_u]August[/name_u]
[name_m]Isaac[/name_m] - nickname [name_m]Ike[/name_m], but surprisingly popular on the social security list, also the theme problem
[name_u]Elliot[/name_u] - has been used in our extended family and also has so many spellings
[name_u]Emmett[/name_u] - just ok
[name_u]Everett[/name_u] - just a maybe

Looking for thoughts on [name_u]August[/name_u] or other suggestions.

Thanks!

[name_u]Welcome[/name_u] back!

I love [name_u]August[/name_u], and I think it works really well with [name_u]Jonah[/name_u]. I do think it is set to become fairly popular and I expect to see a significant rise when the SSA popularity list comes out on [name_m]Friday[/name_m]. That said, it’s a great name and I don’t see it in the top 10 any time soon (if ever!)

From your other names, I like [name_m]Solomon[/name_m], [name_u]Jude[/name_u], [name_m]Casper[/name_m], and [name_m]Isaac[/name_m] (yay for Ike!). I don’t think [name_m]Casper[/name_m] and [name_u]Jonah[/name_u] are too mismatched – they both have a soft, gentle feel. [name_u]Jonah[/name_u] and Solomon/Isaac together is quite biblical, but I don’t think it would necessarily be an unbreakable theme. [name_u]Jonah[/name_u] and [name_u]Jude[/name_u] are a bit matchy, but stylistically fit well. I agree [name_u]Finn[/name_u] is probably equally as trendy as [name_u]August[/name_u], and it doesn’t sound like you love [name_u]Elliot[/name_u], [name_u]Emmett[/name_u], or [name_u]Everett[/name_u].

A few suggestions that came to mind:
[name_m]Atticus[/name_m]
[name_m]Felix[/name_m]
[name_u]Archer[/name_u]
[name_u]Milo[/name_u]
[name_u]Thaddeus[/name_u]
[name_m]Gideon[/name_m]
[name_m]Silas[/name_m]
[name_u]Flynn[/name_u]
[name_m]Caleb[/name_m]
[name_u]Beckett[/name_u]
[name_u]Bennett[/name_u]
[name_u]Rowan[/name_u]

1 Like

Thank you! I had forgotten the mother’s day social security release, but always love going through it!

I agree with you, I just don’t feel like [name_u]August[/name_u] has the qualities of a top 10 name (and no month name has ever hit top 10), but things can always surprise you.

I really feel like I should like [name_u]Flynn[/name_u] more… will add it for consideration.

1 Like

Congratulations :tada::tada:

Firstly [name_u]Jonah[/name_u] is adorable name very sweet, peaceful and fun. I think [name_u]August[/name_u] makes the perfect brother name for [name_u]Jonah[/name_u]. [name_u]August[/name_u] + [name_u]Jonah[/name_u] are a wonderful pairing. [name_u]August[/name_u] is fashionable I see him being discussed a lot on Nameberry however I haven’t encountered a single baby called [name_u]August[/name_u] which makes me feel that he’s still on the lower side statistically. In the UK (I’m basing my response as a [name_u]Brit[/name_u] not sure how helpful it’ll be but here goes) he ranks at 461 so he’s a rare choice and it’ll take a while before [name_u]August[/name_u] is the next [name_u]Noah[/name_u] for example. I’m not sure where you are so it could be less or more popular but look at your stats and judge popularity this way rather than noticing a general buzz about a name on forums. I also feel that popularity shouldn’t deter you from using a name you love. However I do get the desire to be unique as a name nerd I think you just need to way up your love for [name_u]August[/name_u] over your want for ‘uniqueness’. Still I do think [name_u]August[/name_u] is unique enough he has a similar level of uniqueness to [name_u]Jonah[/name_u].

Anyways moving away from my ramblings I love [name_m]Solomon[/name_m], [name_u]Finn[/name_u] and [name_m]Isaac[/name_m]. I have loved [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] for a while now he’s so handsome, peaceful and I love the nickname [name_u]Sol[/name_u]. I think [name_u]Jonah[/name_u] + [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] are gorgeous together. I get the theme concern so I was thinking [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] could be a good fit. Similar vibe to [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] but takes away the theme. [name_u]Finn[/name_u] is lovely outdoorsy choice that feels cosy with [name_u]Jonah[/name_u] a lovely sweet pairing. [name_m]Isaac[/name_m] is lovely but again I can see the theme being a concern however for some reason [name_m]Isaac[/name_m] feels more mainstream in comparison to [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] which feels very biblical.

I think you should stick with [name_u]August[/name_u]! However some other ideas could be [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m], [name_m]Dashiell[/name_m], [name_u]Finnegan[/name_u], [name_m]Lachlan[/name_m], [name_u]Beckett[/name_u] and [name_u]Roscoe[/name_u].

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps

1 Like

I love [name_u]August[/name_u] - maybe it’s a UK perspective, but it doesn’t feel trendy or popular here yet (might not be helpful where you are). [name_u]Jonah[/name_u] and [name_u]August[/name_u] are lovely!

I think [name_m]Casper[/name_m] works well with [name_u]Jonah[/name_u] :slight_smile:

A few other suggestions with [name_u]Jonah[/name_u]:

[name_u]Tristan[/name_u]
[name_u]Rory[/name_u]
[name_u]Franklin[/name_u] ‘Finn’
[name_u]Callum[/name_u]
[name_m]Otto[/name_m]
[name_m]Otis[/name_m]
[name_m]Felix[/name_m]
[name_u]Sasha[/name_u]
[name_u]Roscoe[/name_u]
[name_u]Evan[/name_u]

I love [name_u]Jonah[/name_u] and [name_u]August[/name_u]. I don’t think you need to worry about the popularity.

I love [name_u]Jonah[/name_u] and August!! I don’t think [name_u]August[/name_u] is too popular at all. Such a sweet pairing.

I would say that [name_u]August[/name_u] already is very trendy, but it’s such a sweet match with [name_u]Jonah[/name_u] and it sounds like it’s definitely the name you love! I say go for it.

I know [name_u]August[/name_u] is popular and trending, but for me I’m having trouble seeing it complement [name_u]Jonah[/name_u] very well. To me, they’re very different categories of names. (And let me clarify, I like [name_u]August[/name_u]. I LOVE [name_u]Jonah[/name_u]. This isn’t a criticism of either name.)

I understand you not wanting to be theme-y. That said, I do think [name_m]Solomon[/name_m], [name_u]Jude[/name_u], & [name_m]Isaac[/name_m] are fantastic with [name_u]Jonah[/name_u]. Moving away from the Biblical, I think [name_m]Casper[/name_m] actually works better with [name_u]Jonah[/name_u] than [name_u]August[/name_u] (and it’s definitely a cool, under-the-radar name). I also think [name_u]Finn[/name_u] and all your E names are closer to Jonah’s “category” than [name_u]August[/name_u]. Maybe it’s because [name_u]August[/name_u] sounds “harsh” next to Jonah’s soft sound.

Other ideas:

[name_m]Alexander[/name_m]
[name_m]Ansel[/name_m]
[name_u]Charley[/name_u]
[name_u]Henry[/name_u]
[name_m]Jabez[/name_m]
[name_u]James[/name_u]
Joshua/Josh
[name_m]Lemuel[/name_m]
[name_m]Martin[/name_m]
Nathan/Nate
[name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m]
[name_m]Paul[/name_m]
[name_u]Wesley[/name_u]
[name_u]William[/name_u]

The first thoughts I had were [name_u]Seth[/name_u] or [name_m]Ezekiel[/name_m], nickname [name_u]Zeke[/name_u].

I like [name_m]Casper[/name_m] the best with [name_u]Jonah[/name_u]!

Thanks everyone, all those suggestions are lovely. I’m in [name_f]Canada[/name_f] and it’s hard to tell exactly what names are truly popular here because there aren’t published full lists, just top 10, but I’ve never met one in my area for what it’s worth.