36 weeks with no name!!

hey ladies!!!
im new here, and i desperately need your help!

im 36w2 pregnant with my 2nd daughter and me and dh have NO idea what to name her!! our first dh is named [name]Jonathan[/name] [name]Rose[/name] and we call her [name]Jonnie[/name]-[name]Rose[/name] for short. [name]Jonathan[/name] is dh’s middle name and was our pick for a girl or a boy. my name is boring (jennifer) and so i dont want to pass it on.

can you help me find a cute name that also sounds nice with [name]Jonnie[/name]'s name?

thanks!!!

forgot to mention i love boyish names on girls with cute girly middle names. one name we’ve been tossing around is [name]Richard[/name] [name]Marie[/name] with [name]Richie[/name] as a nickname. what do you think?

i also forgot to mention our last name is [name]Robertson[/name]! stupid pregnancy brain!!! :lol:

please help? starting to panic :cry:

Well, to be honest, let me just say that I’m kind of shocked you named a girl [name]Jonathan[/name] [name]Rose[/name]. It’s a highly unusual choice for a female because [name]Jonathan[/name] is an all-male name for most people. Sorry but I really can’t support your choice of [name]Richard[/name] [name]Marie[/name] for a daughter. It not only looks odd but sounds strange as well. When I see [name]Richard[/name] [name]Marie[/name], it sends a message out to the world that the parents were disappointed to have a daughter. To me, there’s a difference between a “boyish” name and a boys name. It’s hard for me to make suggestions but I’ll give it a try. I think you have three options:
1 Another Biblical name like [name]Elisha[/name], [name]Noah[/name], [name]Jude[/name], [name]Jesse[/name] or [name]Micah[/name]/[name]Michael[/name]. At least these names have been used for girls in some version or another.
2 A girls name taken from a boys name (eg. [name]Theodora[/name] nn [name]Theo[/name] / [name]Philippa[/name] nn [name]Pippa[/name] or [name]Piper[/name]).
3 A unisex name or surname (eg. [name]Quinn[/name], [name]Kendall[/name], [name]Avery[/name], [name]Ellis[/name], [name]Keeley[/name], [name]Parker[/name], [name]Paige[/name], [name]Elliott[/name], [name]Hadley[/name], [name]Murphy[/name], [name]Marlowe[/name], [name]Quincy[/name], [name]Sawyer[/name] or [name]August[/name]).

I’m not sure I helped but I hope I gave you some ideas. I do wish you luck in finding a name that you can love like [name]Jonnie[/name]-[name]Rose[/name]! All the best!

I must say I agree with [name]Mischa[/name].

What other names do you like? I like [name]Mischa[/name]'s suggestion of a girl name with a boyish nickname. Here are some suggestions:

[name]Alexandra[/name] nn [name]Alex[/name], [name]Xander[/name]
[name]Andrea[/name] nn [name]Drew[/name], [name]Andy[/name]
[name]Antonia[/name] nn [name]Tony[/name]
[name]Bernadette[/name] nn [name]Bernie[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] nn [name]Charlie[/name]
[name]Christine[/name], [name]Christina[/name] nn [name]Chris[/name]
[name]Danielle[/name], [name]Daniela[/name] nn [name]Dani[/name]/[name]Danny[/name]
[name]Edwina[/name], [name]Edna[/name] nn [name]Eddie[/name]
[name]Erica[/name] nn [name]Eric[/name]
[name]Evangeline[/name] nn [name]Evan[/name]
[name]Francesca[/name], [name]Frances[/name] nn [name]Frankie[/name]
[name]Frederique[/name] nn [name]Freddie[/name]
[name]Gabrielle[/name], [name]Gabriella[/name] nn [name]Gabe[/name]
[name]Georgia[/name] nn [name]Georgie[/name]
[name]Geraldine[/name] nn [name]Gerry[/name]
[name]Henrietta[/name] nn [name]Henry[/name]
[name]Jacqueline[/name] nn [name]Jac/name
[name]Josephine[/name], [name]Josepha[/name] nn [name]Joey[/name]
[name]Kylie[/name] nn [name]Kyle[/name]
[name]Matilda[/name] nn [name]Matt[/name]
[name]Maxine[/name] nn [name]Max[/name]
[name]Michaela[/name] nn [name]Mike[/name], [name]Micah[/name], [name]Mickey[/name]
[name]Nicole[/name], [name]Nicolette[/name] nn [name]Nick[/name]
[name]Roberta[/name] nn [name]Robbie[/name], [name]Bertie[/name]
[name]Samantha[/name] nn [name]Sam[/name], [name]Sammy[/name]
[name]Stephanie[/name] nn [name]Stevie[/name]
[name]Willow[/name], [name]Willa[/name] nn [name]Will[/name], [name]Willie[/name]

I know some seem far fetched, but I wanted to give you an idea. Other unisex or more masculine possibilities:

[name]Addison[/name]
[name]Ariel[/name]
[name]Blake[/name]
[name]Cameron[/name]
[name]Casey[/name]
[name]Dakota[/name]
[name]Devin[/name]
[name]Dylan[/name]
[name]Eden[/name]
[name]Ellery[/name]
[name]Ellis[/name]
[name]Emerson[/name]
[name]Emory[/name]
[name]Finley[/name]
[name]Harley[/name]
[name]Harper[/name]
[name]Hayden[/name]
[name]Jamie[/name]
[name]Justice[/name]
[name]Kennedy[/name]
[name]Logan[/name]
[name]Miller[/name] ([name]Millie[/name]?)
[name]Payton[/name]
[name]Reagan[/name]
[name]Reese[/name]
[name]Riley[/name]
[name]Rory[/name]
[name]Rowan[/name]
[name]Ryan[/name]
[name]Sage[/name]
[name]Schuyler[/name]
[name]Sloan[/name]
[name]Sydney[/name]
[name]Taylor[/name]

[name]Hope[/name] that helps!

I have to agree with everyone else. [name]Richard[/name] is definitely not a name I would give to a little girl. I would be worried that she would have to continue to prove to people that she was girl. Also the NN [name]Dick[/name] is a little off putting as well. If you really like it then go for it. I can’t really suggest anything but what other people have suggested is a good idea. Good luck picking a name.

im sorry you don’t like [name]Jonathan[/name] on our girl. im sure if you saw a picture of her your mind might be changed, shes a cutie.

i like michael, maybe mikey as a nickname. parker and murphy are also great, but i dont know about cute nicknames for those.

thank you!

I think other posters have done a nice job of outlining some sources you could go to. I want to especially echo that another biblical name might be nice with [name]Jonathan[/name]. Additionally, some of the names suggested actually have use by both sexes in the Bible. [name]Noah[/name] spelled [name]Noa[/name] is in there for a female figure, and [name]Micah[/name]/[name]Michael[/name] is in there as a woman, [name]Michal[/name] (I’m not 100% sure the names are eytmologically completely the same, but they’re very close in sound at any rate).

You came here for opinions as well as inspiration, so: If you are going to stick with a very masculine name, let me put aside my own feelings on that and just argue against [name]Richard[/name] specifically for a sec.

I don’t like to put down anyone’s favorite, but I do have what I think are some real considerations about this one.

Here’s the thing about [name]Jonathan[/name]: in addition to [name]Jonnie[/name] now, she also has the option to go by femmier [name]Joni[/name] (a la Ms. [name]Mitchell[/name]) or even, by a stretch, [name]Joan[/name] (perhaps spelled [name]Jon[/name], I don’t know) when she’s older, if she so chooses. I don’t think [name]Richard[/name] gives that option. There’s [name]Richie[/name] and [name]Ricky[/name]/[name]Rickie[/name]/[name]Rikki[/name] etc, and that’s it. I also don’t think it’s going to be an easy name for her in a certain age range when her peers learn that [name]Dick[/name] is a historical nickname for [name]Richard[/name] (I have male friends named [name]Richard[/name], and it was hard enough for them). Finally, I’m not sure [name]Richard[/name] [name]Robertson[/name] is the best sort of alliteration. It’s not the very worst, but it’s just one more strike against it.

Let me propose as an alternate to [name]Richard[/name] a boys name for a girl I think gets both a boyish nickname and a potentially girlier one or two, just like like [name]Jonathan[/name]: [name]Andrew[/name]. Another Biblical name. Nn [name]Drew[/name] is very boyish but actually has some feminine use through Ms. Barrymore, and I think [name]Drew[/name] [name]Marie[/name] has a nice rhythm the way [name]Jonnie[/name] [name]Rose[/name] does (1-2 and 2-1). But there is also the option for another boyish one, [name]Andi[/name]/[name]Andie[/name]/[name]Andy[/name], also a little bit known for girls through Ms. McDowell. [name]Andie[/name] [name]Marie[/name] is fine. AND if she wants to go by something more feminine when she’s older, she can style herself [name]Annie[/name] or [name]Anne[/name] the way [name]Jonathan[/name] might have [name]Joni[/name] or [name]Joan[/name].

[name]Andreas[/name] does something similar if you like it better: [name]Drew[/name] is more of a stretch from it, although you could still do it(I wouldn’t recommend Dre, because of Dr. Dre being such a strong association).

What else: [name]Matthew[/name] could be [name]Matty[/name]/[name]Maddy[/name] which is very in for girls right now, although that’s it as far as nicknames go I think. [name]Maddy[/name] [name]Marie[/name] is kind of cute.

[name]Elliot[/name]/[name]Elijah[/name]/[name]Elias[/name]/[name]Elisha[/name] - anything that could plausibly be [name]Ellie[/name] for a nickname or [name]Elle[/name] ([name]Elle[/name] [name]Marie[/name]!)-- notice this came up in pp’s suggestion too via another route. Again those are only two femm-y nicknames with nothing more boyish, although they are two!

[name]Everett[/name] nn [name]Eve[/name]/[name]Evie[/name]/[name]Ever[/name]: [name]Eve[/name] [name]Marie[/name]!
[name]Evan[/name] nn [name]Eva[/name]/[name]Eve[/name]: [name]Eva[/name] [name]Marie[/name]! Also somewhat known from [name]Evan[/name] [name]Rachel[/name] Woods.
[name]James[/name]: Does have [name]Jamie[/name], and model [name]James[/name] [name]King[/name] makes this faintly familiar.
[name]Dorian[/name]: All-boy, but feels feminine through [name]Dora[/name]
[name]Julian[/name]: All boy, but nn [name]Julie[/name] or [name]Julia[/name] is there. [name]Jules[/name] is kinda either/or. [name]Jules[/name] [name]Marie[/name] is actually really nice for me!

[name]Joseph[/name]: nn [name]Jo[/name] ([name]Jo[/name] [name]Marie[/name]!), [name]Josie[/name], [name]Effie[/name]
[name]Josiah[/name]: see above, minus the [name]Effie[/name]

[name]Lionel[/name]: All-boy, but another way to [name]Ellie[/name] (actually, that’s an option for a lot of boys names with -el, really).
[name]Louis[/name]: All boy, has all of the [name]Lu[/name]/[name]Lou[/name]+ options (Lulette, [name]Lula[/name], etc.) and [name]Lou[/name] [name]Marie[/name] is really cute! [name]Luca[/name]/[name]Lucas[/name]/[name]Luke[/name] gets you sort of the same thing.

[name]Bryce[/name]: Faintly known on girls through Ms. [name]Howard[/name], [name]Bryce[/name] [name]Marie[/name] is really cute. I think it may capture some of what you like of [name]Richard[/name]?

[name]Reese[/name]: Very well known through Ms. Witherspoon, but very boyish and [name]Reese[/name] [name]Marie[/name] is very cute. A lot less name than [name]Jonathan[/name] though. [name]Bryce[/name] has the same issue but a little less so.

[name]Miles[/name]: Nn [name]Mila[/name] or [name]Milly[/name] - [name]Mila[/name] [name]Marie[/name] is pretty cute!

There are more I’m sure!

I hope this helps! All best!

jesba - ty so much ! [name]Andrew[/name] is a great suggestion and i think it goes great with JRs name :smiley:

i will definitly have to ask dh bout it.

i also like [name]Everett[/name] and [name]Bryce[/name], i think theyd be so adorable on a little girl!!

nicole_1024 - i quite like blake but it seems like its getting a bit common on girls these days for my liking? one of the things i love most about Jonnies name is that ive never seen a girl called [name]Jonathan[/name] before i love how unique she is. [name]Miller[/name] and [name]Sloan[/name] are great!! more suggestions to ask the dh about.

Um, probably the reason you haven’t heard a girl called [name]Jonathan[/name] before is because it is a BOY’S name. It’s not unisex, and it’s not “unique”. It’s just awful. Why didn’t you just name her [name]Jonnie[/name]? (still not great, but way better than [name]Jonathan[/name]). And if you like [name]Richard[/name] so much, why don’t you give it to a son if/when you have one or name this daughter [name]Rikki[/name] [name]Marie[/name]?

While I personally find unisex names distasteful and taking over great masculine names, and least a unisex name would be better than one totally and completely masculine.

By the way, looking for something “unique”? I can say without a doubt naming a girl [name]Alice[/name] will get a lot more head turns than [name]Avery[/name], and is definitely classier.

unisex names:

[name]Harper[/name]
[name]Quinn[/name]
[name]Reese[/name]/[name]Reece[/name]
[name]Avery[/name]
[name]Morgan[/name]
[name]Tristan[/name]
[name]Riley[/name]
[name]Ellery[/name]
[name]Dylan[/name]
[name]Auden[/name]
[name]Emerson[/name]

If it’s the nickname you’re after there are there are tons of feminized versions of male names, such as:

[name]Harriet[/name] ([name]Hattie[/name])
[name]Philippa[/name] ([name]Pippa[/name])
[name]Charlotte[/name] ([name]Charley[/name])
[name]Theodora[/name] ([name]Theo[/name], [name]Teddy[/name])
[name]Frederique[/name] ([name]Fred[/name], [name]Freddy[/name])
[name]Davina[/name]
[name]Georgia[/name], [name]Georgianna[/name] ([name]George[/name], [name]Georgie[/name], [name]Geordie[/name])

wow is this the way you all talk to each other here on nameberry?? :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:
i understand you might not like [name]Jonnie[/name]'s name, but calling it awful is quite mean. she is named and we love her name. thats not what im asking for opinions on.

i dont want sugar coated responses but i dont think that its fair or nice at all to call a child whos already been borns name awful.

Using masculine names on girls is unconventional, definitely, but all male-turned-female names had to start somewhere. And even if it does stay an all-male name, then hey, you were just being creative and doing what you liked. I personally wouldn’t name a girl a masculine name, but I’m not going to condemn you for it either.
[name]Just[/name] thought I’d add that since you seemed a little offended by some disapproving comments, and I wanted to add my two cents.

As for ideas for your next daughter, I am inclined to agree with jesba’s suggestions. However, I personally would stay away from [name]Andrew[/name] because of the meaning; naming a little girl something that means “manly” just seems wrong to me. That’s just my opinion, though, so if you love it then I say go for it. Few people pay that much attention to meaning anyway, and it’s a lovely name. Also, I liked [name]Everett[/name] and [name]Evan[/name] as options that jesba presented. I think they could work on a girl without being too startling.

I’m glad you liked some of the suggestions! I see the pp’s point about [name]Andrew[/name]'s meaning, didn’t think of that, but the thing is that it’s the same meaning for [name]Andrea[/name], which is a common female name, and the situation is similar similar from [name]Charlotte[/name], which is related to [name]Charles[/name] “free man” and I think the same meaning is true for [name]Frances[/name]/[name]Francis[/name]. In some ways you have an out if she ever asks you about the meaning, because the point is you like manly names on girls, and you can say, “look, it’s a manly name” : D. Anyway, if you care more about meanings, AND it bothers you, sure feel free to look elsewhere : D. I do also like how [name]Andrew[/name] sounds with your last name, by the way.

[name]Everett[/name] could be really good, and even though it’s very different from [name]Jonathan[/name], somehow [name]Everett[/name] and [name]Jonathan[/name] sound like siblings, and certainly [name]Jonnie[/name]-[name]Rose[/name] and [name]Eve[/name]-[name]Marie[/name] do sound like sisters – I was thinking about it more, and besides [name]Eve[/name]/[name]Eva[/name]/[name]Evie[/name] (or Ev! Ev [name]Marie[/name]!) she could have Rett/[name]Rhett[/name] or [name]Ettie[/name]/[name]Etta[/name]. I would advise against naming [name]Rhett[/name] on its own, by the way, just because it’s the name of a rare disorder affecting girls (spelled Rett I think) - that’s so little known I don’t think it matters for a nickname, but to me it’d be kind of weird as a full name on a girl (although there was the actress [name]Brett[/name] [name]Butler[/name], which is close. [name]Do[/name] you like [name]Brett[/name]? Seems a little like a nickname for [name]Brittany[/name], but different enough. I’d personally prefer [name]Everett[/name], but one more thing to mention).

All best!

[name]Hi[/name] [name]Jennifer[/name]

Thank you for coming to nameberry for advice. It must be hard for you to hear that your baby’s name on a girl has shocked a few here. I suspect that you may have already experienced that with friends and family? However, we do not want to upset you, and I have found nameberry to be a very polite environment so I hope that we may be of help to you.

I would be inclined to choose a girl’s name that is derived from a boy’s name eg [name]Georgina[/name] nn [name]Georgie[/name].

If you would like an unisex name then there are many lovely ones eg [name]Delaney[/name], [name]Avalon[/name] and [name]Bellamy[/name].

Or another idea is to use a surname in the middle name spot and use a pretty girl’s name in the first name spot. For example, [name]Alexa[/name]/[name]Alyssa[/name]/[name]Alicia[/name]/[name]Elisha[/name] [name]Brooke[/name] surname.

Otherwise you could choose a name like [name]Quinn[/name], [name]Finley[/name] or [name]Lou[/name]/isa.

all the best,

rollo

Um, probably the reason you haven’t heard a girl called [name]Jonathan[/name] before is because it is a BOY’S name. It’s not unisex, and it’s not “unique”. It’s just awful. Why didn’t you just name her [name]Jonnie[/name]? (still not great, but way better than [name]Jonathan[/name]). And if you like [name]Richard[/name] so much, why don’t you give it to a son if/when you have one or name this daughter [name]Rikki[/name] [name]Marie[/name]?

[/quote]

Saying that that little girl’s name is “just awful” to her mother is extremely impolite and hurtful. She has already named her daughter, she clearly loves her daughter and her name. It is one thing to criticise the names of abstract persons whom nameberries might read about in newspapers or meet elsewhere, but such confrontational criticism directly to the mother of an already named child is uncalled for. She has not asked for a retrospective analysis of her first child’s name, she is here for suggestions and advice for the name of her second daughter.

I think it’s best to avoid having both the formal name and the nn be male. You avoided it by calling your daughter [name]Jonnie[/name] [name]Rose[/name]. [name]Richard[/name]/[name]Richie[/name] doesn’t avoid it. [name]Richard[/name] is one of the most masculine names out there, complete with the phallic nickname.
A couple quick ideas:
[name]Alice[/name] nn [name]Al[/name]
[name]Natalie[/name] nn [name]Nat[/name]
[name]Veronica[/name] nn [name]Ronnie[/name] or [name]Nic[/name]
If you really want to get to the nn [name]Richie[/name], maybe [name]Veronica[/name] would work for that too. Or [name]Rachel[/name], [name]Erica[/name], or [name]Rochelle[/name]? I’m not really sure.
I love [name]Alex[/name] and [name]Sam[/name] on girls (and they’ve been mentioned)
Good luck and congrats!

I think [name]Jonnie[/name] [name]Rose[/name]/ [name]Jonathan[/name] [name]Rose[/name] is ADORABLE, and you should just brush off the haters. I want to congradulate you for thinking outside the box! Everybody is bringing back old fashion names for girls and you have given your daughter a classic, timeless, beautifully unique name. She’ll always be able to tell people she is named after her father, something to be proud of. For her little sister I really like the idea of mixing up her middle name from [name]Marie[/name]; are you absolutely set on her mn? I want to suggest that you go with the floral theme started with [name]Jonnie[/name] [name]Rose[/name]. What about [name]Everett[/name] [name]Bluebell[/name] or [name]Everett[/name] [name]Anemone[/name]; [name]Bryce[/name] [name]Elodie[/name] or [name]Bryce[/name] [name]Lilac[/name]; [name]Sloan[/name] [name]Lotus[/name] or [name]Sloan[/name] [name]Calla[/name]; [name]Miller[/name] [name]Wisteria[/name] or [name]Miller[/name] [name]Camellia[/name]; [name]Andrew[/name] [name]Dahlia[/name] or [name]Andrew[/name] [name]Marigold[/name]. My personal favorite of the names you’ve liked so far is [name]Andrew[/name]! I don’t mind the meaning; I think it would be supercute on a little girl! Many nicknames to pick from, too. Some other suggestions for a fist name that I think flows well with [name]Jonnie[/name] [name]Rose[/name] and may be your style: [name]Greer[/name], [name]Rowan[/name], [name]Jonquil[/name], [name]Aster[/name], [name]Bryony[/name], [name]Clove[/name], [name]Ione[/name]. I hope you are finding this helpful :slight_smile:

Hmmm. This has already been mentioned, but I do want to repeat that I think it’s important your daughter has a choice. If she doesn’t like a more masculine name, she can a feminine name – whether it be the full name or nickname. Personally I think you should leave room for this if it were to happen, but of course it’s up to you in the end. :slight_smile:

Yes, I guess [name]Blake[/name] is rising. I’m really glad you like [name]Miller[/name] and [name]Sloan/name because those are my favorites as well! :slight_smile:

My daughter’s name is [name]Elliott[/name], after her grandfather and yes, we did get criticism for that at first but now that is just her. I know how you feel! I will say that we love that her name can be [name]Ellie[/name] or [name]Elle[/name] if she wants which is great. I think it is a fantastic name for a girl! Also, if a name has meaning to YOU then that makes it special like your [name]Johnnie[/name].

Maybe [name]Kennedy[/name] [name]Marie[/name]? [name]Kalen[/name] [name]Foster[/name]?