4 month old's name... Aster??

So. My appologies for neglecting to reply to each and every one of you for your fantastic help last week.

I had to have surgery on [name]Wednesday[/name] :confused: Hopefully, the last of my medical issues related to her birth (chronic endometritis, now it appears they may have removed the underlying cause- a small, infected retained piece of my placenta- nearly FIVE months outā€¦ part of how we ended up in this situation in the first place, I have been SO ill. Regardless, this is my plea to come back and ask you all one more question)

In short, I shared your suggestions with DHā€¦ I believe it was lamps, diedre and scareletsmom who suggested [name]Aster[/name] (forgive me if there were others Iā€™m leaving out).

We both love [name]Aster[/name]. [name]Aster[/name] [name]Miriam[/name], I love the way it sounds, I really do. It makes me happy to call her [name]Aster[/name]. It is a beautiful flower and, according to some sources means ā€˜starā€™. It is soft and naturey, but also can be taken seriously [name]IMO[/name]. Simply lovely. DH agrees. Honestly, the first name we have AGREED upon.

HOWEVERā€¦ we are very, very worried about the potential for ā€œassā€ teasing. Should we be?

Also, as Iā€™ve said before, our boyā€™s name was [name]Asher[/name]. Iā€™m very attached to [name]Asher[/name]. I have namers remorse over my DS that I DIDNā€™T name him [name]Asher[/name]. [name]Asher[/name] and [name]Aster[/name] are way too close for a sib-set, yes? (it may be the sound-alike quality to [name]Asher[/name] that DH and I agree on)

and as a sad consideration, it looks like I may have permanent damage to my fertility due to this prolonged uterine infection so the possibility of another child may not exist. If you think we should use [name]Aster[/name], how much weight do we put on loving [name]Asher[/name] when I may or may not be able to have more children? (we were planning one more)

We have agreed that if people (meaning, you all and another board I post on- donā€™t want to go to people [name]IRL[/name] anymore) think [name]Aster[/name] is a cruel moniker to put on her, we will name her [name]Blythe[/name]. [name]Blythe[/name] is happy and sweet and so is she. We havenā€™t set a date for her name because I have been so ill, but realize it must be soon. For her and for us.

Thank you. again.

*edited to ask another question- teasing aside, what do you think of [name]Aster[/name]? To me, it is a light, beautiful, floral name inspired by Greek mythology. Iā€™ve gotten feedback from other places that it is harsh and/or a boyā€™s name. wdyt?

I donā€™t understand the concern you have for her being teased with a$$ - what does that mean? Sorry for being slow but Iā€™m very tired atm:) I havenā€™t heard [name]Aster[/name] before, it kind of sounds like a cross between [name]Astrid[/name] and [name]Ester[/name] to me. I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Blythe[/name] though! That is a wonderful name.

Thatā€™s awful about you being ill, hope you are feeling better now:)
Good [name]Luck[/name]!

Sorry for not being clearā€¦ on pain meds and overwhelmed. We are worried that people will call her ā€œAssā€. And, well, thatā€™s not a very nice thing to be called.

My DS was really cute- he LOVES [name]Aster[/name] as well, and he said he would tell anyone who called her ā€œassā€ that that wasnā€™t her name at all! :slight_smile:

Iā€™m so, so sorry that youā€™ve been sick, and I hope that youā€™re okay now. It sounds so painfulā€¦ :frowning:

About [name]Aster[/name], part of me is so happy that you agree on a name, that I just want to leave it at that, but the other part of me want to truthfully answer the question you posed.

Iā€™ve always worked with children, and while itā€™s impossible to stop kids from teasing people based on their names (Iā€™ve heard it allā€¦even teasing based on seemingly benign names), it just seems like some names are more likely to be targets of teasing than others.

[name]Do[/name] I think that [name]Aster[/name] is gorgeous? Yes. [name]Do[/name] I think thereā€™s a good chance that [name]Aster[/name] may be the butt of A$$ jokes (no pun intended)? Yes. Can I predict it for certain? No. No one can.

I heard that on The Office, someone named their baby girl [name]Astrid[/name], and that she was unfortunately called ā€œA$$ turd.ā€ This made me realize that [name]Aster[/name] and [name]Astrid[/name] are very close, and that if you take [name]Aster[/name] and simply tack a D onto the endā€¦wellā€¦you get the point.

I can honestly see kids figuring this out and adding that D, or at least realizing that the beginning of [name]Astrid[/name] sounds like a word they arenā€™t supposed to say.

I feel badly for sharing this point of view, but I want to be honest with you. Sadly, I do think that thereā€™s a very real possibility that A$$ teasing may come into play.

Best wishes to you! :slight_smile:

sigh.
First off, thank you for your condolences. Part of the reason she doesnā€™t have a name is that Iā€™ve been terribly, terribly ill since her birth (in and out of the hospital- my second surgery) Weā€™re hoping this time it will actually be taken care of. The potential harm to my fertility makes her naming seem so much more overwhelming, if that makes sense.

Second, what you said about her name echos exactly how we feelā€¦ we are SO thrilled to have found a name we both love. and so hesitant to actually use it. Youā€™re right, kids will tease about any name, but teasing with a curse word is particuarly bad in my book.

Can anyone come up with a cute nickname for [name]Aster[/name] if the teasing was too intense? Suppose she could use [name]Miriam[/name], but I just donā€™t see calling her that. We canā€™t come up with a nn for [name]Aster[/name] that doesnā€™t scream ā€œtease meā€

Is there anything really, really close to [name]Aster[/name] you think we might like? After pouring over name lists, we donā€™t want to start again, but maybe there is a slight variation that might be less prone to teasing?

I agree with [name]Jill[/name]. Iā€™ve see that episode of The Office so it was I think of when I hear [name]Aster[/name].
I do think itā€™s a pretty name. [name]Ester[/name] means ā€œstarā€, sounds a lot like [name]Aster[/name] with out the A$$ teasing possibilities. [name]Estee[/name]/[name]Esti[/name] could be a cute nn.

Similar to [name]Aster[/name]:

[name]Esther[/name]
[name]Astoria[/name] (nn [name]Story[/name] or [name]Aster[/name])
[name]Augusta[/name]/[name]August[/name]
[name]Arista[/name] (Greek name)
[name]Briar[/name]
[name]Calla[/name]
[name]Calista[/name]
[name]Cassia[/name]
[name]Clover[/name]
[name]Estelle[/name]
[name]Flora[/name]
[name]Honor[/name]
[name]Stella[/name]

If youā€™re comfortable with [name]Aster[/name], thatā€™s what matters! :slight_smile:

Good luck!

The only nn I can think of is [name]Star[/name], which is a stretch and Iā€™m sure that would get ā€˜twinkle twinkleā€™ or ā€˜do you have a brother called moon?!ā€™. [name]Do[/name] you think maybe [name]Miriam[/name] [name]Aster[/name] would work? nn [name]Mim[/name] or [name]Blythe[/name] [name]Aster[/name] [name]Miriam[/name]?

Sorry that this doesnā€™t seem to be working out for you but it is so much better to be considering all this while she is still a baby so she doesnā€™t have to put up with it later on.

After thinking about [name]Story[/name] as a nickname for [name]Astoria[/name], Iā€™m thinking that you could also call [name]Aster[/name] ā€œ[name]Story[/name],ā€ because itā€™s so close to ā€œStery.ā€

Plus, you have quite the story to tell her about how she was named. :slight_smile:

Good luck!

this is definitely a stretch, but what about [name]Tess[/name] as a nn? It has such a fun, spunky feel.

Thanks for your thoughtsā€¦ While I think [name]Miriam[/name] [name]Aster[/name] is simply lovely, [name]Miriam[/name] has to stay in the middle, per family tradition that I would like to keepā€¦ and weā€™ve gone around and around about two mns and decided we HAVE TO make a choice- sheā€™s got two last names, and, as someone earlier on pointed out, it is really sort of and indecisive thing to do to give her five names.

Hmā€¦ [name]Astoria[/name] is a good one to ponder on. It is beautiful sounding. I have a lot of family in [name]Astoria[/name], Oregon, though, and Iā€™m not sure I want to place-associate her (not that its a bad association)ā€¦

it has gotten me thinking about names that start with As-ā€¦ why do you think some are immediately associated with ā€˜assā€™ jokes and not others? I mean, [name]Astoria[/name] isnā€™t really that much farther than [name]Aster[/name], but it doesnā€™t seem to scream ā€˜tease meā€™ā€¦ and, I do know a fair number of girls called [name]Aspen[/name] and Iā€™ve never even thought about the potential until nowā€¦

On another note, I happened to know a girl named [name]Story[/name] growing up and, well, the association is simply awful. Which is too bad, because, inherently, I like [name]Story[/name]ā€¦ could do [name]Tori[/name] with [name]Astoria[/name] as well, though [name]Tori[/name] seems dated to me.

oo, [name]Aster[/name], nn [name]Tess[/name] is CUTE! I like. Iā€™m impressed.

DH and I actually talked about [name]Ester[/name] instead of [name]Aster[/name] for a bit, and, well, it just doesnā€™t have the same naturey feel to me. [name]Ester[/name] is still all grandma to me, and not in a good way.

Ok this is really pushing it now but if you rearranged the letters you could have [name]Sera[/name]? not sure where the ā€˜tā€™ fits into that but Iā€™ve run out of ideas on this one sadly:(

Hmā€¦ [name]Astoria[/name] is a good one to ponder on. It is beautiful sounding. I have a lot of family in [name]Astoria[/name], Oregon, though, and Iā€™m not sure I want to place-associate her (not that its a bad association)ā€¦

it has gotten me thinking about names that start with As-ā€¦ why do you think some are immediately associated with ā€˜assā€™ jokes and not others? I mean, [name]Astoria[/name] isnā€™t really that much farther than [name]Aster[/name], but it doesnā€™t seem to scream ā€˜tease meā€™ā€¦ and, I do know a fair number of girls called [name]Aspen[/name] and Iā€™ve never even thought about the potential until nowā€¦

On another note, I happened to know a girl named [name]Story[/name] growing up and, well, the association is simply awful. Which is too bad, because, inherently, I like [name]Story[/name]ā€¦ could do [name]Tori[/name] with [name]Astoria[/name] as well, though [name]Tori[/name] seems dated to me.[/quote]

I accidentally fell asleep on the couch a few hours ago, but before I go to my actual bed, I thought Iā€™d reply. :slight_smile: (Granted, Iā€™m 75% asleep, but Iā€™ll give it a try.) :slight_smile:

[name]Astoria[/name] sounds less ā€œa$$ā€ to me because I pronounce it more like a-[name]STORY[/name]-uh or even uh-[name]STORY[/name]-uh (the first syllable is ā€œaā€/ā€œuhā€), while with [name]Aster[/name], the first syllable is A$$. Because of this, I donā€™t hear ā€œa$$ā€ as much with [name]Astoria[/name] as I do with [name]Aster[/name]. With [name]Astoria[/name], the a and s sound separate to me. [name]Astoria[/name] isnā€™t the best with [name]Miriam[/name], but I thought Iā€™d still put it out there. :slight_smile:

I suggested it because I thought it had greater nickname potential than [name]Aster[/name], and because I thought that you could use [name]Aster[/name] as a nickname and fall back on [name]Astoria[/name] if teasing arose.

I really love [name]Tess[/name], and give a round of applause to the poster who suggested it. (I forget who you are as I type this!)

Not to get into a new name list, but if you like [name]Tess[/name], what about [name]Tessa[/name] [name]Miriam[/name]?

Whatever you choose, be it [name]Aster[/name] [name]Miriam[/name], [name]Blythe[/name] [name]Miriam[/name], or whatever you feel in your heart, I wish you the best!

Take care! :slight_smile:

I am so glad to hear from you I was becoming worried about you and I was alarmed to hear that you have been so ill. I hope that you feel much better soon.

I wish that I could endorse [name]Aster[/name] but the points that [name]Jill[/name] made were probably right. I think the nearest name to [name]Aster[/name] is [name]Esther[/name] and if you ask me you canā€™t get a prettier combo than [name]Esther[/name] [name]Miriam[/name].

[name]Queen[/name] [name]Esther[/name] was a strong woman and if you had a daughter with her strengths you would be very happy. At a stretch you may even like [name]Thea[/name] as the nn.

Of course I love [name]Blythe[/name] but [name]Esther[/name] [name]Miriam[/name] is beautiful a really good choice.

PS [name]Just[/name] noticed that you are not sold on [name]Esther[/name].

Canā€™t we talk you into [name]Esther[/name]??? [name]Just[/name] kidding!

Sending you more hugs and I look forward to hearing about the name you eventually choose for your beautiful baby girl but also your health.

Best wishes for lots of plain sailing in the near future.

I think [name]Aster[/name] nn [name]Tess[/name] is a really great idea! :slight_smile:

The thing with teasing is that you can never predict it will happen ā€“ even with obviously teasable names. Iā€™ve known kids with really bad-potential-for-teasing names and they never got teased for it. And other kids who have names with absolutely no teasing potential and they get teased with completely unrelated names.

My surname sounds obviously like ā€˜knickersā€™ and while I got teased for it, my sister (who went to the same school and is only three years younger) never got teased about it at all. If children are going to tease they will choose anything, even a completely nonsensical name that has no relation what so ever to that childā€™s name (bigbum, spotty, poshy etc etc).

It all seems to be dependant on so many different factors. At the end of the day you could choose a different name with no obvious association and your child could still get teased, or you could use [name]Aster[/name] and she never gets teased. I really donā€™t think the potential should deter you from using a name you love.

[name]Just[/name] my two cents. Good luck! :slight_smile:

I like [name]Blythe[/name] a lot. But what about just naming her [name]Asher[/name]? [name]Asher[/name] [name]Miriam[/name]. I see it as an easily feminized name because of its closeness to [name]Ashley[/name] and [name]Ashton[/name].

What about [name]Asha[/name]?? It is VERY close to [name]Asher[/name] and [name]Aster[/name] both, but since it is [name]Ash[/name]- instead of
As-, I donā€™t think it is quite as teasable. I love [name]Asha[/name] [name]Miriam[/name].

Iā€™m so sorry to hear about your dilemma! The very best of luck to you and your name search. :slight_smile:

[name]EDIT[/name]: I just saw this now: [name]Tess[/name] is a great nickname for [name]Aster[/name]!