A sister for Rosemary Aline

Help! I don’t think it is possible for me to find a name I love as much as my first daughter’s name- [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] [name_f]Aline[/name_f] (with [name_f]Rosie[/name_f] as a nickname.) It meets all of the criteria we were shooting for: honor/family names ([name_f]Mary[/name_f] and [name_f]Aline[/name_f]), old lady/vintage/classic feel, long/romantic feel, precious nickname, and uncommon enough but not strange. I’ve poured over lists and have some contenders (For first and/or middle names) below but am hoping someone can come up with ideas I haven’t thought of, or help me select which one fits best. It also needs to fit with a potential future boy who would be named [name_m]Watson[/name_m] [name_u]Everett[/name_u] (nn [name_m]Rhett[/name_m]).

Clara - family name, but also a friend’s daughter’s name and may be too common

Carolina - nickname “[name_f]Cece[/name_f]” (Would honor a grandmother named [name_f]Carolyn[/name_f])

Cecelia- nickname “[name_f]Cece[/name_f]” (no family connection)

Elodie - nn “[name_f]Ellie[/name_f]” ([name_f]Elodie[/name_f] is a family name)

Vivienne - nn “[name_f]Vivi[/name_f]” ([name_f]May[/name_f] be too common, no family connection)

Estelle - nn “[name_f]Stella[/name_f]” ([name_f]Estelle[/name_f] is a family name)

Angeline - nn “[name_u]Angel[/name_u]” ([name_f]Angeline[/name_f] is a family name)

Camilla - nn “[name_f]Millie[/name_f]”

Anna-[name_f]Clara[/name_f] or [name_f]Anna[/name_f]-[name_u]Marie[/name_u] ([name_f]Clara[/name_f] and [name_u]Marie[/name_u] are family names; I love double barreled names but don’t want her to end up being called just “[name_f]Anna[/name_f]”)

Names that I like but can’t use:
[name_f]Clementine[/name_f] and [name_f]Violet[/name_f] (I don’t want to continue the “nature” name theme)
[name_f]Penelope[/name_f] and [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f]- nn “[name_f]Poppy[/name_f]” (my husband hates them)
[name_f]Alice[/name_f]
[name_f]Eloise[/name_f]

If you made it through that novel, thank you! I appreciate the help!

2 Likes

Rosemary [name_f]Aline[/name_f] is beautiful! I also adore all of the names on your “can’t use” list, so that’s very promising.

My favorites are [name_f]Clara[/name_f], [name_f]Elodie[/name_f], [name_f]Angeline[/name_f], and [name_f]Estelle[/name_f]. [name_f]Carolina[/name_f] is also nice, but I prefer [name_f]Caroline[/name_f] because I would instinctively pronounce [name_f]Carolina[/name_f] Car-oh-lie-nuh, which I don’t think is what you’re going for?

Clara [name_f]Elodie[/name_f]
[name_f]Angeline[/name_f] [name_f]Cecelia[/name_f]

2 Likes

Estelle is very pretty and doesn’t need a nickname imo.
[name_f]Millie[/name_f] is nice and could even stand on its own.

1 Like

I love [name_f]Carolina[/name_f] [name_f]Elodie[/name_f]!

1 Like

You seem to have similar taste to me.
Some of mine are-
[name_f]Adelaide[/name_f], [name_f]Audrey[/name_f], [name_f]Esther[/name_f], [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], [name_f]Heidi[/name_f], [name_f]Millicent[/name_f], [name_u]June[/name_u], [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f], [name_f]Josephine[/name_f], [name_f]Edith[/name_f], [name_f]Eve[/name_f] and [name_f]Ivy[/name_f].

3 Likes

Thank you! That is a good point about [name_f]Carolina[/name_f]- I do wonder how often it would be “mispronounced.” We live in the US so I feel like “[name_f]Carol[/name_f]-eye-na” would be the first instinct but you never know.

I love that [name_f]Clara[/name_f] [name_f]Elodie[/name_f] combines two family names. I think I like [name_f]Angeline[/name_f] [name_f]Cecelia[/name_f] even better though.

1 Like

North/South [name_f]Carolina[/name_f] was my first thought, definitely. I think [name_f]Carol[/name_f]-lee-nuh is a pretty pronunciation for the name, but unless you spell it [name_f]Karolina[/name_f] (which isn’t nearly as nice) I think mispronunciation is inevitable.

1 Like

I do love the feel of those names! Thanks for the ideas! For some reason I am drawn to the 3 syllable first names so I will have to consider [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] and [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f]. For some reason I associate [name_f]Millicent[/name_f] with “Maleficent” from Sleeping Beauty and I don’t care for the likely “[name_u]Josie[/name_u]” nickname for [name_f]Josephine[/name_f]. I do love [name_u]June[/name_u] as a middle name!

1 Like

I didnt realize there were different ways to pronounce [name_f]Carolina[/name_f]! I pronounce it Care-o-lie-na.

1 Like

Estelle [name_u]Vivian[/name_u] nn [name_f]Elle[/name_f]
[name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] [name_u]Francis[/name_u] nn [name_f]Vivi[/name_f]
[name_f]Florence[/name_f] [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] nn [name_f]Flora[/name_f]
[name_f]Florence[/name_f] [name_f]Annelise[/name_f] nn [name_f]Flora[/name_f]
[name_f]Florence[/name_f] [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] nn [name_f]Flora[/name_f]
[name_f]Georgia[/name_f]
[name_f]Annelise[/name_f]
[name_f]Winifred[/name_f]
[name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]
[name_f]Harriet[/name_f]/Hattie

1 Like

I absolutely love [name_f]Carolina[/name_f] with [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f]! It meets all of the criteria you outlined above, and it’s just so lovely. I don’t think that the state connection is too much, so long as you don’t currently live in one of the Carolinas. Yes people will probably mispronounce it on occasion but I think since both are established pronunciations it’ll just take a quick correction and you’ll be fine, I would’t worry about that too much. [name_f]Carolina[/name_f] [name_f]Elodie[/name_f] would be very sweet.

2 Likes

First, can I start by saying that I can’t tell you how much I love [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] [name_f]Aline[/name_f]! [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] has been one of my longterm favorites, and [name_f]Aline[/name_f] is my favorite [name_u]French[/name_u] name. This is the best combo I’ve heard in a long time.

You have a very similar style to me! I love every name on your list. [name_f]My[/name_f] favorites are [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f], [name_f]Carolina[/name_f], [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f], and [name_f]Elodie[/name_f].

Some names that sound nice with [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f]:

Anneliese (or [name_f]Annalise[/name_f] or [name_f]Annalisa[/name_f])- These remind me of your [name_f]Anna[/name_f]-[name_f]Clara[/name_f] and [name_f]Anna[/name_f]-[name_u]Marie[/name_u] and feel double barreled, even if they technically aren’t.

Violetta- This feels less nature-y than [name_f]Violet[/name_f] and sounds lovely with [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f]

Victoria
[name_f]Cassandra[/name_f]
[name_f]Charlotta[/name_f]
[name_f]Carlotta[/name_f]
[name_f]Katerina[/name_f]
[name_f]Lara[/name_f]
[name_f]Susannah[/name_f]
[name_f]Guinevere[/name_f]
[name_f]Elaine[/name_f]
[name_f]Marietta[/name_f]
[name_f]Willa[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilia[/name_f]
[name_f]Marina[/name_f]
[name_f]Clarisse[/name_f]
[name_u]Evelyn[/name_u]
[name_f]Viviana[/name_f]
[name_f]Melinda[/name_f]
[name_f]Celia[/name_f]
[name_f]Cecily[/name_f]
[name_f]Angelica[/name_f]
[name_u]Camille[/name_u]
[name_f]Anna[/name_f]-[name_f]Claire[/name_f]
[name_f]Anna[/name_f]-[name_f]Elle[/name_f]
[name_f]Anna[/name_f]-[name_f]Estelle[/name_f]
[name_f]Anna[/name_f]-[name_f]Eloise[/name_f]
[name_f]Anna[/name_f]-[name_f]Ella[/name_f]
[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]
[name_f]Ellia[/name_f]

Best of luck!! Let us know what you end up choosing!

1 Like

Of your list, [name_f]Estelle[/name_f] gets my vote. Hands down. It’s gorgeous, vintage, sounds stunning with [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] (and possibly [name_m]Watson[/name_m]), and has the family connection. It checks all your boxes while being as distinctive and familiar-yet-uncommon as [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f].

Possible honor names I’d suggest, if you’re not sold:
[name_f]Clarice[/name_f] (could honor [name_f]Clara[/name_f])
[name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] (could honor [name_f]Angeline[/name_f])
[name_f]Marianne[/name_f] (instead of [name_f]Anna[/name_f]-[name_u]Marie[/name_u]) – But you do already have [name_f]Rose[/name_f]mary, which makes me feel like [name_u]Marie[/name_u] has already been honored, however subtly.

Other suggestions based on your list & that I love with [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f]:
[name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] / [name_f]Adele[/name_f]
[name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] / [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f]
[name_f]Cecile[/name_f]
[name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Diana[/name_f]
[name_f]Edith[/name_f]
[name_f]Emmeline[/name_f]
[name_f]Esther[/name_f]
[name_f]Felicity[/name_f]
[name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]
[name_f]Helena[/name_f]
[name_f]Juliet[/name_f]
[name_u]Louise[/name_u]
[name_f]Sylvia[/name_f]

2 Likes

I like all the names on your list would only suggest [name_f]Adeline[/name_f].

1 Like

Rosemary [name_f]Aline[/name_f] is such a beautiful name really lovely envious off this one!

From your list I really like [name_f]Clara[/name_f], [name_f]Elodie[/name_f], [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f], [name_f]Angeline[/name_f] & [name_f]Camilla[/name_f]. I just think these names are beautiful have great nickname options aside from [name_f]Clara[/name_f] and work really well with [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] [name_f]Aline[/name_f].
Potential combinations from my favourites…
[name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] [name_f]Clara[/name_f]
[name_f]Camilla[/name_f] [name_f]Elodie[/name_f]
[name_f]Angeline[/name_f] [name_f]Clara[/name_f]

Suggestions you may like…
[name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] ‘[name_f]Evie[/name_f]’
[name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] ‘[name_f]Addie[/name_f]’
[name_f]Theodora[/name_f] ‘[name_f]Thea[/name_f]’
[name_f]Gabriella[/name_f] ‘[name_f]Ella[/name_f]’
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f]
[name_f]Victoria[/name_f] ‘[name_f]Tori[/name_f]’
[name_f]Helena[/name_f]
[name_f]Catherine[/name_f] ‘[name_u]Kit[/name_u]’
[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] ‘[name_f]Lottie[/name_f]’
[name_f]Alexandra[/name_f] ‘[name_u]Lexi[/name_u]’
[name_f]Penelope[/name_f] ‘[name_u]Penny[/name_u]’

1 Like

Your daughters name is so beautiful!

I would suggest …
[name_f]Elowen[/name_f] nn [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] or [name_f]Winnie[/name_f]
[name_f]Eulalia[/name_f] nn [name_f]Laila[/name_f]
[name_f]Delilah[/name_f] nn [name_f]Lila[/name_f]
[name_f]Aurelia[/name_f] nn [name_f]Aura[/name_f] or [name_f]Ray[/name_f]
[name_f]Emilia[/name_f] nn [name_f]Emmy[/name_f] or [name_f]Milly[/name_f]

Good luck :smile:

1 Like

From your current list, I think the best option by far is [name_f]Estelle[/name_f]. Of the new suggestions, [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] makes the most sense, and it’s lovely next to [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f].

1 Like

Carolina [name_f]Estelle[/name_f] would be gorgeous

Evangeline [name_u]Camille[/name_u] and [name_f]Evelina[/name_f] [name_f]Celeste[/name_f] also came to mind

1 Like

I think depending on where you live [name_f]Carolina[/name_f] mispronounciations may not be a problem! I live in a predominately hispanic community so I’ve always pronounced it the spanish way, and didn’t know that people said it like the state till I was in college! With [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] I like [name_f]Carolina[/name_f], [name_f]Cecelia[/name_f], [name_f]Elodie[/name_f], and [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] the best! Good luck!

1 Like

Rosemary and Angeline sound perfect to me. I also adore the nickname Angel with Rosie. I’ve met quite a few Angels, though, men and women. Some it worked well for and others, not as much. I think it sounds lovely with Rosie though.

I always pronounce Carolina as “car-oh-LEEN-uh” like in Spanish, though I live in the U.S. and speak English. I personally really dislike the “care-oh-line-uh” pronunciation.

Elodie and Estelle are beautiful as well but I think Angeline works better with Rosemary. Either would sound better as a middle for Angeline imo.

Angeline Elodie
Angeline Estelle

Rosemary Aline & Angeline Elodie
Rosemary Aline & Angeline Estelle

I think either is flawless and both would use an honor name in the first and middle name spot again.

1 Like