Ana or Anna? I need to change before FIRST birthday

A year ago we welcomed our third baby [name_f]Ana[/name_f] [name_f]Elena[/name_f] (aww sound). The only thing is I have it spelled [name_f]Anna[/name_f] on her birth certificate. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you pronounce them differently ?? [name_f]Ana[/name_f] and [name_f]Anna[/name_f]? I’m nervous that she will be pronounced the [name_f]Anna[/name_f] (like in apple) way her whole life and that’s why I hesitate to change it officially… please help! I heard this is the best website for a name advice :slight_smile: thx!

I say Anna like the a in apple, and Ana like the a in father (or like the character in Frozen). I think it’d be best to spell it like Ana if it’s the latter pronunciation. Anna can be pronounced either way really but I think most people will assume it’s like the a in apple. Otoh I do prefer how Anna looks visually. It looks more complete and balanced to me than Ana.

I also pronounce them differently like the previous poster.

I’d be more likely to pronounce [name_f]Ana[/name_f] as aw-nuh, but I think the [name_f]Ahna[/name_f] spelling is even more foolproof.

I say them differently, with [name_f]Anna[/name_f] as A-nuh (A like in apple) and [name_f]Ana[/name_f] as [name_m]AH[/name_m]-nuh. I’d say with [name_f]Anna[/name_f] being so well known with that pronunciation in the English speaking world, it’s probably best to use [name_f]Ana[/name_f] if you’re saying [name_m]AH[/name_m]-nuh.

I have a friend named [name_f]Ana[/name_f] who pronounced it like An-na, but I knew an [name_m]Ah[/name_m]-nah who was [name_f]Annah[/name_f]. It’s one of those names that has an equal chance of getting mispronounced, so you’re likely to have to correct people no matter what.

I’ve always said [name_f]Ana[/name_f] like ah-nuh/aw-nuh and [name_f]Anna[/name_f] like ann-uh and just assume that’s how they’re said until I know otherwise. Once I know the correct pronunciation though I don’t have an issue remembering it, like the actress [name_f]Anna[/name_f] Faris pronounces her name the same way as [name_f]Ana[/name_f] so that’s how I always read it.

I pronounce [name_f]Anna[/name_f] and [name_f]Ana[/name_f] the same, like “and” without the d, AN-uh. I know 2 AN-uh’s, one spells it [name_f]Anna[/name_f], the other spells it [name_f]Ana[/name_f]. I prefer two N’s, I think it just looks nicer.

AW-nuh could be either [name_f]Anna[/name_f] or [name_f]Ana[/name_f], I don’t think it matters. [name_f]Anna[/name_f] from Frozen is AW-nuh spelled [name_f]Anna[/name_f].

I’m an [name_u]Andrea[/name_u], and I get mispronounced all the time. I say it AN-dree-uh, but there’s also AWN-dree-uh, and AWN-drey-uh. I just correct people and move on, it’s not a big deal to me.

I do pronounce them differently.

I would automatically pronounce [name_f]Anna[/name_f] as AN-nuh and [name_f]Ana[/name_f] as [name_m]AH[/name_m]-nuh. I could see AW-nuh spelled either way, but since [name_f]Anna[/name_f] pronounced AN-nuh is so much more established due to [name_f]Anna[/name_f] being a lot more common than [name_f]Ana[/name_f], I would spell it [name_f]Ana[/name_f].

I personally prefer the look of [name_f]Anna[/name_f] over [name_f]Ana[/name_f] unless [name_f]Ana[/name_f] is a nickname for [name_f]Anastasia[/name_f] etc.
In terms of pronounciation, I pronounce [name_f]Anna[/name_f] as in a for [name_f]Apple[/name_f], however in Frozen [name_m]Ah[/name_m]-na is still spelt [name_f]Anna[/name_f]. Whereas I would think that [name_f]Ana[/name_f] is more likely to be pronounced [name_m]Ah[/name_m]-na.
In terms of what is on the birth certificate I personally wouldn’t change it as essentially it’s the same name whatever the spelling. Also you could change it to [name_f]Ana[/name_f] and when your daughter is older she could turn around and say she wishes you kept the original spelling! I would stick with what you have at present and at home call her [name_f]Ana[/name_f]/ [name_f]Anna[/name_f] as you prefer, your daughter could always change it when she is older if that’s what she wants to do.

I hope that makes sense, and I hope you don’t get too stressed with the decision making!

I say both as anne-a but I’m Canadian. I’ve noticed Americans use ‘o’ sounds often where I use ‘a’ sounds. eg. saying [name_f]Tonya[/name_f] for [name_f]Tanya[/name_f].

ps I also like the look of [name_f]Anna[/name_f] much better than [name_f]Ana[/name_f]. I’d leave it.

I say them both like A-nuh. A sharp A and not a long one (think [name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_m]Kendrick[/name_m] vs [name_f]Anna[/name_f] from Frozen). I have never ever come across an [name_f]Anna[/name_f]/[name_f]Ana[/name_f] who pronounces it like [name_f]Anna[/name_f] from Frozen, except in American films and TV shows. If you want the [name_f]Anna[/name_f] from Frozen way, go with [name_f]Ana[/name_f].

My step mom is [name_f]Anna[/name_f] pronounced aw-nah, so I don’t assume when I see it. I think it’s one of those names that has two equal pronounciations. However, for ease, [name_f]Ana[/name_f] may be better for you.

I prounounce them differently. [name_f]Ana[/name_f] I’d automatically pronounce Aw-nun, [name_f]Anna[/name_f] as [name_f]Ann[/name_f]-uh.

I pronounce them like previous posters but whenever you have a popular name with multiple pronunciations you run the risk of it being pronounced in the way you don’t like. So personally if it bothers you that much I’d go with [name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_f]Ana[/name_f] but if it doesn’t [name_f]Ana[/name_f] [name_f]Elena[/name_f] is fine.

I would change it to [name_f]Ana[/name_f] as it is more likely to be pronounced the way you want it. I think [name_f]Ana[/name_f] is beautiful!

I say [name_f]Ana[/name_f] “[name_m]Ah[/name_m]-na” and [name_f]Anna[/name_f] “[name_f]Ann[/name_f]-na”

They’re both same and I can only think of one way of saying [name_f]Anna[/name_f]? [name_f]Ann[/name_f]-uh