Any thoughts on website update?

Thanks, I’m behind.

Like a lot of other people, I miss the colors! All the white makes it kinda look like it didn’t quite finish loading, lol. Also, where did the comments on the individual names go?

13 Likes

Unfortunately, the old layout wasn’t working well at all from a site management and SEO perspective. [name_u]Page[/name_u] speed was extremely slow and there were lots of different applications servicing different parts of the site, which meant lots of updating and cross-checking.

When we get this all sorted, it will be much quicker and much more flexible from a content creation point of view, and hopefully from a user experience point of view too!

Yes, I need to ask about this.

@KJGlitter @smollie

See here for more info about comments on the name pages :point_down:

4 Likes

I would just like to bring up a very minor issue I just noticed:

If I search a name that is unisex, both pages come up as options, as usual.

But when I click on one of them, it still asks me to choose which gender, even though I already clicked the one for the gender I wanted.

I think it should just be one or the other, right?
As I said, minor issue, but something I noticed that could get annoying for people who search unisex names often to have to select the gender they want twice. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Yes, I have spotted this one and added it to the list already :+1: Thanks!

3 Likes

I hadn’t thought about it like this. As @katinka mentioned there was a lot of animosity in the comments sections, but now I remember it was a good place to question the name descriptions. There’s an active thread for bringing these to attention:

2 Likes

No namehunter?

It was one of my favourite parts of the site and very useful too.

15 Likes

Honestly, I found it helpful, too! All of the different opinions, both positive and negative, gave me thoughts about aspects of certain names that I might not have considered otherwise, which I really loved. However, it is true that sometimes the comment sections were home to nasty debates. Unfortunate that it has to be this way. :confused:

11 Likes

@emelfem

Don’t worry, a new version of Namehunter is coming back very soon – much more detailed and with an improved algorithm for generating suggestions.

14 Likes

The ad placement blocks some of the buttons at the top for me on desktop version & there’s no option to close the ad

9 Likes

I have this one, too, and this is not the first x-less ad that covers content. :confused:

I think if you can get the URL and PM it to @katinka with your location, she can block it. But I have struggled to get the URL before because some of them just become games when you click on them. :woman_shrugging:t3:

2 Likes

Well, if this is the reason, then I’m perfectly okay with that. I just thought all the white might have been you guys trying to be more “hip and modern” :sweat_smile:

I’ll miss the colors, but if this helps you run the site better, I can adjust. I’m sorry for complaining. I probably sounded really petty.

I think this has been going on for a few years and similar errors have happened on previous versions of the site, too. It will be nice to finally have it fixed, though. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I too fondly remember the tickertape but it significantly slowed down the site which Google penalizes you for. So it had to go. For now.

1 Like

I understand. Is that what happened with the popularity cloud too?

2 Likes

I was looking for a thread like this! I want to say I love it! I’m having no problems, (chrome user, if that makes a difference) and the new design is very chic. Also, I can now access the blog posts, which I couldn’t before the update. So overall, big improvement for me.

4 Likes

Why is the name suggestion generator gone?? That was my most-used feature on the site! Someone tell me it’s going to be back! [name_u]Or[/name_u] it’s hiding and I can’t find it?

3 Likes

We have a new and improved version of Namehunter coming soon, so stayed tuned!

4 Likes

Yay, so happy to hear you’re having a good experience!

1 Like

Yes, exactly — that was a great feature as well!

I agree with you 100%. It feels so bare and generic.

12 Likes