Any thoughts on website update?

Unfortunately, the old layout wasn’t working well at all from a site management and SEO perspective. [name_u]Page[/name_u] speed was extremely slow and there were lots of different applications servicing different parts of the site, which meant lots of updating and cross-checking.

When we get this all sorted, it will be much quicker and much more flexible from a content creation point of view, and hopefully from a user experience point of view too!

Yes, I need to ask about this.

@KJGlitter @smollie

See here for more info about comments on the name pages :point_down:

4 Likes

I would just like to bring up a very minor issue I just noticed:

If I search a name that is unisex, both pages come up as options, as usual.

But when I click on one of them, it still asks me to choose which gender, even though I already clicked the one for the gender I wanted.

I think it should just be one or the other, right?
As I said, minor issue, but something I noticed that could get annoying for people who search unisex names often to have to select the gender they want twice. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Yes, I have spotted this one and added it to the list already :+1: Thanks!

3 Likes

I hadn’t thought about it like this. As @katinka mentioned there was a lot of animosity in the comments sections, but now I remember it was a good place to question the name descriptions. There’s an active thread for bringing these to attention:

2 Likes

No namehunter?

It was one of my favourite parts of the site and very useful too.

15 Likes

Honestly, I found it helpful, too! All of the different opinions, both positive and negative, gave me thoughts about aspects of certain names that I might not have considered otherwise, which I really loved. However, it is true that sometimes the comment sections were home to nasty debates. Unfortunate that it has to be this way. :confused:

11 Likes

@emelfem

Don’t worry, a new version of Namehunter is coming back very soon – much more detailed and with an improved algorithm for generating suggestions.

14 Likes

The ad placement blocks some of the buttons at the top for me on desktop version & there’s no option to close the ad

9 Likes

I have this one, too, and this is not the first x-less ad that covers content. :confused:

I think if you can get the URL and PM it to @katinka with your location, she can block it. But I have struggled to get the URL before because some of them just become games when you click on them. :woman_shrugging:t3:

2 Likes

Well, if this is the reason, then I’m perfectly okay with that. I just thought all the white might have been you guys trying to be more “hip and modern” :sweat_smile:

I’ll miss the colors, but if this helps you run the site better, I can adjust. I’m sorry for complaining. I probably sounded really petty.

I think this has been going on for a few years and similar errors have happened on previous versions of the site, too. It will be nice to finally have it fixed, though. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I too fondly remember the tickertape but it significantly slowed down the site which Google penalizes you for. So it had to go. For now.

1 Like

I understand. Is that what happened with the popularity cloud too?

2 Likes

I was looking for a thread like this! I want to say I love it! I’m having no problems, (chrome user, if that makes a difference) and the new design is very chic. Also, I can now access the blog posts, which I couldn’t before the update. So overall, big improvement for me.

4 Likes

Why is the name suggestion generator gone?? That was my most-used feature on the site! Someone tell me it’s going to be back! [name_u]Or[/name_u] it’s hiding and I can’t find it?

3 Likes

We have a new and improved version of Namehunter coming soon, so stayed tuned!

4 Likes

Yay, so happy to hear you’re having a good experience!

1 Like

Yes, exactly — that was a great feature as well!

I agree with you 100%. It feels so bare and generic.

12 Likes

I keep signing into the main website, only to be kicked out when I go to the next page. It’s been a repeated pattern of signing in, being signed out , signing back in again, over and over. Is work being done that would cause this?

Possibly! I know [name_m]Hugh[/name_m] is currently looking into the sign in issues, so this could be part of it. If it’s still happening in a few hours/tomorrow, @ me and I’ll add this specific issue to the list.

1 Like