Any thoughts on website update?

The ad goes to Prime Video: Palm Springs

It comes up on the first forum page I visit (usually https://forum.nameberry.com/). I have to reopen the forums several times until the ad stops appearing and I can actually use the site.

1 Like

I’m not sure if it’s that important, but I just found a small glitch on [name_u]Augustine[/name_u]’s girl name page:

1 Like

Thanks. I’ve already flagged this up, it’s a problem on a few name pages but will hopefully be an easy fix when we get to it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just curious/ maybe I missed this elsewhere but are comments on name pages and posts gone now?

Just kidding, found my answer! But I liked those sections too and found them helpful especially for pronunciations which I usually have to go to other sites to find now.

1 Like

Good one :joy: :fearful:

Yes, they’re gone at least for now.

To be honest, the first time the site loaded for me, I thought I ran into one of those glitches where half the site appears in plain text because the actual layout hadn’t loaded in yet or whatever. Someone earlier said it looks unfinished and I echo that statement.

Also, I can’t find any way to edit pages? I just dropped by to add some names from a new video game I played but there doesn’t seem to be any way to do so.

Not a big fan on the infinite scrolling of forum threads. [name_u]Or[/name_u] infinite scrolling in general. Maybe a personal preference but at least with pages I can find a good page to stop on and return right back to it the next day. [name_m]Can[/name_m]'t do that with infinite scrolling.

EDIT: Also, if I scroll up in this thread, at the point where it loads the next segment up it will jump around to the top of THAT segment and I’ll have to scroll back down in order to continue scrolling up.

3 Likes

We’re planning to add the user-editable sections back in soon.

The infinite scroll is part of pretty much every modern forums software we could have chosen, and with this software, there is not a pagination option. However, the URL at the top changes automatically to match the post you’re currently reading, so you can easily jump to the right spot that way, either by bookmarking, favouriting or otherwise saving the URL.

There is also a scroll bar at the side (or bottom, on mobile), which allows you to jump to a specific post number, as well as having a “Back” function which takes you to your last read post. Plus, there’s a bookmark function within Discourse itself (find it in the three dots menu at the bottom of every post) which you can use to save any post you like to come back to later, no matter where in a thread it is.

I’m not entirely clear what you mean by this, sorry. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you have a screenshot or similar to demonstrate the issue?

Can we somehow agree to the data policy in our user account. It’s getting really really consenting every half an hour or so!

I’m not seeing this! Is it happening randomly or every time you open the site having not been on for a while?

At first it was once or twice a day, but now it’s much more regular, very irritating. Three times already this morning now and it is 10:54!

1 Like

I noticed this too. It’s not realy possible to easily take a screenshot of this because it’s like an immediate jump. But I’ll try to explain it a bit more:

Because of the infinite scrolling, longer topic don’t load all the replies at once. When you start reading at the top (with reply 1, or the first new reply), the next replies will load when you arrive at the bottom of the page. This works well.

However, when you start reading a topic from the bottom this causes an issue. Once you’ve scrolled up to the point where the next segment loads, it will load but it will take you to the reply to the top of the segment, while you wanted to read the reply at the bottom of the segment.

For example, a thread has 350 replies. You start with reading the last reply, then you read reply 349, 348, 347, etc…
…304, 303, 302. You’re reading reply number 301 now. While you’re doing that, the page loads the next 50 replies: reply number 250-300 (I don’t know how many replies are loaded at once, but lets say 50 in this example). But, when those replies are loaded, the page jumps to the top reply of those. Now you are at 250, but you wanted to read 300 and now you have to scroll down, back to 300.

I hope this helped!

3 Likes

Ohhh, OK, I understand. Thanks @Johannaa :slight_smile: This will be Discourse end, rather than Nameberry, and I suppose the reason is that they don’t expect people to be reading in reverse order! Has this always been the case (since the switch to Discourse) or is it something you’ve noticed more recently?

I’m not totally sure, I don’t read in reverse order that often :grinning:, but as far as I know it has been always the case since the switch.

1 Like

OK, I can ask about it on the main Discourse support board. Thanks :slight_smile:

This should be fixed now, could you please confirm when you get a chance?

1 Like

Several things I dislike about the new list making format:
1- names no longer automatically organize themselves in alphabetical order
2- can’t add any comments to names as was possible before
3- the removal of a unisex name option- I get it’s more convenient to click and directly visit the male/female page but it means you now have to add each name twice when making unisex name lists

I get not all of these can be dealt with, just wanted to air some small grievances.

2 Likes

We fixed this but I can see that a recent change has removed this again. I’ll flag it up now, thanks for the catch!

Lots of comments about this, I’ll bring it up again with the team but I know there were good reasons for this decision related to site speed, etc. It wasn’t just a snap decision.

This is being brought back! Unisex names will eventually be green and you’ll be able to add them to lists as unisex.

3 Likes

Was referring to additional comments that can be made in lists, but yes I miss that as well. I understand the rationale but it was nice having somewhere to comment about specific names.

4 Likes

Still not working :frowning:

1 Like

What browser/device please? And what happens if you refresh the page?