Are these just too effeminate?

Hey guys!

So me and my DH have been sifting through names for a bit. And there are a few names we keep going back to, only the femininity has us a bit worried.

We are almost completely convinced to use the name Saff, though it seems more of a nn. But the problem comes from trying to…un-nickname it with something like [name]Saffron[/name], or maybe [name]Sapphire[/name].

Are [name]Saffron[/name] and [name]Sapphire[/name] just too much for a boy? Are there any other names that could work with Saff? (Or does it seem more likely to just nix it all?)

We both also really love [name]Archer[/name]. The problem coming from picking a middle name…

I really love [name]Archer[/name] [name]Grace[/name]. But am a little afraid it might be cause for some teasing, even as just a middle name. We’ve also considered Archer [name]Gray[/name]/[name]Grey[/name].

Any other suggestions, possibly keeping with the same sound?

This little one is going to stay a mystery till it’s time and we have already chosen a girl’s name; [name]Harriet[/name] [name]Sage[/name]. He/She will be joining their sister, little baby [name]Winter[/name] [name]Blue[/name].

I find it almost impossible to believe that the same human being would name one daughter [name]Winter[/name] [name]Blue[/name], a second daughter [name]Harriet[/name], and think [name]Saffron[/name], [name]Sapphire[/name] and [name]Grace[/name] were good boys’ names. Esp a human being with the lovely name of [name]Ciara[/name] [name]Yvonne[/name]. But just in case:

[name]Saffron[/name], [name]Sapphire[/name] and [name]Grace[/name] are completely unworkable as boys’ names.

Saff, if it must be had, can be obtained from

Asafa, as in Jamaican sprinter Asafa [name]Powell[/name]
[name]Stafford[/name] or Safford
Safi (Arabic name meaning ‘pure’)
[name]Seraphim[/name] / serafim
Jehoshaphat (cruel)

It seems pretty schizo to me too, but I actually know a boy with [name]Grace[/name] as a middle. It’s his grandmother’s maiden name though, his father bears it as well.

I don’t have anything very helpful to say, but I think [name]Saffron[/name] could work for a boy if you really wanted it to. Mostly I just wanted to say that I think [name]Winter[/name] [name]Blue[/name] is a very beautiful name!

Aha; I’m actually not sure how to take that first part xD…

But yes, I figured both [name]Saffron[/name] and [name]Sapphire[/name] would really just not work, hence asking for some help! I’ve never met a [name]Saffron[/name], and just don’t like [name]Sapphire[/name] as a girls name.

I definitely love Safford, maybe even Safi. Much more.

Hmm; I can see it being used as a family name. Maybe it is just too pretty other wise. But it’s good to hear its not completely unheard of.

[name]Saffron[/name], [name]Sapphire[/name] & [name]Grace[/name] all seem very femme to me.

[name]Grey[/name] or [name]Gray[/name] work. [name]Grayson[/name] works. [name]Even[/name] just Saf is ok. Sufjohn? Is that a name? Maybe look into that. [name]Joseph[/name] could be Seffi or Sef in my book.

[name]Love[/name] [name]Archer[/name] [name]Grey[/name]!

I had actually thought [name]Saffron[/name] was a more male name, but maybe I’m just trying to convince myself! xD
And thank you, that’s very kind.

While I find your naming style all over the place and am not entirely sure if it’s hypothetical or not, I’ll go ahead and answer.

Personally, I don’t know why [name]Grace[/name] couldn’t be used as a middle name for a boy as 1) It’s a virtue/word name and therefore technically genderless, 2) Sounds very similar to plenty of other boys names, 3) has been used historically on boys as well as other virtue names and 4) It’s a middle name and he won’t likely be telling everyone what it is and if he doesn’t like it, he could just say “I don’t have one.”

All that being said, [name]Archer[/name] [name]Grace[/name] sounds very nice. [name]Archer[/name] [name]Grey[/name]/[name]Gray[/name] is pretty cool too. I think [name]Winter[/name] [name]Blue[/name] is nice too. Sort of “weird” middle name with a nice word name (like [name]Archer[/name]) with varied of use (Like [name]Harriet[/name]).

For names Saff could work for, [name]Saffron[/name], being a word, would work on a boy, but I think it’s too much with [name]Harriet[/name] and [name]Winter[/name]. [name]Sapphire[/name] is too feminine for as a first name for a boy.

[name]How[/name] about:

Asafo
Msafiri
[name]Safa[/name]
Safford
Safi
Safwan

Oh! I cant believe [name]Joseph[/name] never came up. A much more usuable name. And [name]Seff[/name] could be cute (almost like a lisp though xD)

[name]Sapphire[/name] seems like a girls name to me, and [name]Saffron[/name] too. To get to that sound:

[name]Yusuf[/name]
Saph
Sephiroth

Sorry but there is no getting away from the feminine on [name]Sapphire[/name], [name]Saffron[/name] or [name]Grace[/name]. [name]Archer[/name] [name]Gray[/name] is a great name.

I think it is most often simpler to go with what you like and not complicate things. With a daughter [name]Winter[/name] [name]Blue[/name], I think a son named simply Saff [name]Archer[/name] works and also sounds right with a poss sis [name]Harriet[/name] [name]Saige[/name].

I think [name]Winter[/name] [name]Blue[/name] is a very beautiful name! It’s not my style, but I do believe it is in the tradition of the current name trends.
To be honest, [name]Saffron[/name] and [name]Saphire[/name] sound totally feminine. I would not saddle a boy with either of those names. [name]Archer[/name] [name]Grey[/name] however, does sound masculine and very handsome at that.

I agree with [name]Blade[/name]!!!

What makes [name]Saffron[/name] feminine? It’s so silly how people attach gender to words because there is usually no rhyme or reason beyond “It sounds feminine” or “I know a girl with that name”.

I see no gender in [name]Saffron[/name]. Since it is so rare most people don’t attach a gender to it, let alone even think of it as a name. Your [name]Saffron[/name] will be the first they meet, so they will consider it a masculine name.
And according to [name]Baby[/name] Name Guesser:

[b]It’s a boy!

Based on popular usage, it is 1.009 times more common for [name]Saffron[/name] to be a boy’s name.

The popularity of [name]Saffron[/name] is: 3.413
(where 0 = extremely rare, 6 = super popular)[/b]

Sorry but I’d assume all your son’s were girls or that I had misheard their names. For a Saff nn how about [name]Joseph[/name]?

[name]Sapphire[/name] is [name]WAY[/name] to girly, so is [name]Grace[/name]. [name]Saffron[/name] is alright, maybe [name]Archer[/name] [name]Saffron[/name]?

I thought the suggestion of safford was pretty cool!!! [name]LOVE[/name] winter blue. So sad my married name is white… I would love the chance to use gray, greenley, or bleu… But my attraction to color names must have led me to marry a man with one LOL