Are these weird literary names usable?

The title basically says it all; I’m a huge literary fan ([name_m]Hugo[/name_m], [name_u]Austen[/name_u], [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m], etc.!), but sometimes I find the characters’ surnames more intriguing/distinctive than their FNs (or they just have really crazy FNs!). I’ve been thinking I’d like to add some of these to my list (most likely as middle names), but I’m not sure if they’re just too crazy/unusual. [name_m]How[/name_m] would you feel about coming across some of these as a middle name?

[name_m]Aramis[/name_m] ([name_m]Hugo[/name_m]'s The Three Musketeers)
[name_m]Ferrars[/name_m] ([name_u]Austen[/name_u]'s Sense and Sensibility)
Pimpernel/Blakeney (Baroness Orczy’s The [name_f]Scarlet[/name_f] Pimpernel)
[name_m]Rochester[/name_m] ([name_f]Bronte[/name_f]'s [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_f]Eyre[/name_f])

I just don’t like [name_m]Edward[/name_m], [name_m]Percival[/name_m], or [name_m]Edward[/name_m] (again!) as much as [name_m]Ferrars[/name_m], Pimpernel, and [name_m]Rochester[/name_m], but I can’t seem to make these fit into combos, either, and I’m starting to wonder if they’re just too crazy. :confused:

I think [name_m]Aramis[/name_m] and Blakeney could be usable.
Pimpernel is absolutely not, in my opinion. I just can’t see it on a person, of any age, especially not a child

Are you think for a girl or a boy? [name_m]Aramis[/name_m] and Blakeney strike me as a little more feminine
[name_m]Aramis[/name_m] Ziphora/[name_f]Sephora[/name_f]
[name_m]Aramis[/name_m] [name_f]Marianne[/name_f]
[name_m]Aramis[/name_m] [name_f]Josephine[/name_f]
Blakeney [name_f]Rosanna[/name_f]
Blakeney [name_f]Ariana[/name_f]
Blakeney [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]

For boys
[name_m]Aramis[/name_m] [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m]
[name_m]Aramis[/name_m] [name_m]Zachary[/name_m]
[name_m]Aramis[/name_m] [name_m]Fabian[/name_m]
Blakeney [name_u]Emmett[/name_u]
Blakeney [name_m]Jasper[/name_m]
Blakeney [name_u]Cameron[/name_u]

Or you could pay tribute to your love of literature differently
[name_u]Austen[/name_u], [name_f]Bronte[/name_f], [name_m]Oscar[/name_m]/Wilde, [name_m]Homer[/name_m], [name_m]Lewis[/name_m], [name_f]Lolita[/name_f], [name_m]Doyle[/name_m], [name_u]Darcy[/name_u], [name_f]Scarlet[/name_f], [name_u]Dorian[/name_u]
All have an instantly discernable literary vibe, without sounding too ‘out there’

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps!

Cool another lover of the classics :cool:
[name_m]Aramis[/name_m] one of my favourite names / see
[name_m]Ferrars[/name_m] I like this one but I see it as a middle
Pimpernel not really a fan of this one sorry
Blakeney I really like this one
Orczy this one wasn’t meant on the list but it drew my eye love it might even make one of my list now
[name_m]Rochester[/name_m] I’ve just never liked this one

@nj713 - they would all be boys’ names, for sure. I respect the literature too much to take the name and give it to the wrong gender. I have a unisex name myself, and hate that aspect of my name, so I definitely wouldn’t do that to my children. And they’d be MNs, all of them. If I had used Pimpernel, it would have been something like [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] Pimpernel [name_u]Gray[/name_u]/[name_m]Samuel[/name_m] Pimpernel [name_u]Grey[/name_u]. I wouldn’t use a literary name if I didn’t like the character AND his/her name, so most of them are out. I already have [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] as a middle name to honor [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] Wilde, and [name_m]Jack[/name_m] for C. S. [name_m]Lewis[/name_m] (his nickname). I’ve tossed around [name_m]Fitzwilliam[/name_m] or [name_u]Darcy[/name_u] as a middle, but I haven’t found the right combo yet. Maybe [name_m]Leo[/name_m] [name_m]Fitzwilliam[/name_m], if I’m feeling brave. :slight_smile: In the case of the author, I would only use the author’s name if I genuinely liked the author–I am not a huge F. [name_m]Scott[/name_m] [name_m]Fitzgerald[/name_m] fan, for example, so I definitely wouldn’t use [name_m]Fitzgerald[/name_m] in his honor. I have other literary names I’m tossing around ([name_m]Peter[/name_m], [name_m]Edmund[/name_m], [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m], [name_m]Hugo[/name_m]–even Biblical like [name_m]Josiah[/name_m] and [name_m]Judah[/name_m] and [name_u]Noah[/name_u]), but I posted these specifically because they’re not generally used as names. I wasn’t sure what the reception would be, and if it was better to stick to just [name_m]Edward[/name_m] or [name_m]Percival[/name_m].

@darcywillow - Yeah, they’d all be middle names. :slight_smile: I was thinking maybe [name_m]Caspar[/name_m] [name_u]Gray[/name_u] [name_m]Ferrars[/name_m] or [name_u]Gray[/name_u] [name_m]Elijah[/name_m] [name_m]Ferrars[/name_m]? It intrigues me, but it’s not the most intuitive to say, and it is sort of weird. Yeah, Orczy reminds me too much of orgy for me to want to use it. :frowning: I love The [name_f]Scarlet[/name_f] Pimpernel, though, and would probably consider her surname if it didn’t sound so awful to my ears. :slight_smile:

Despite the cologne association, I love [name_m]Aramis[/name_m]. The rest don’t really appeal to me… especially Pimpernel. Any name with “pimp” in it I would strongly recommend against.

ha, yeah, I just really used to love [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] Pimpernel [name_u]Grey[/name_u] for some reason. I’ve heard the argument before, though, so I should probably ax it. I just [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] the character so much, and dislike [name_m]Percival[/name_m] and Blakeney nearly as much as I love his character. :confused: Maybe it’s time to let that one go.

[name_m]Aramis[/name_m] - I like it. I think it’s totally fine in the middle.
[name_m]Ferrars[/name_m] - Also fine. I would probably assume it was the mother’s maiden name or something if I saw this in a combo.
Pimpernel/Blakeney - Yeah, I’m gonna have to agree with previous posters about Pimpernel; it’s best left as a GP. Blakeney works but sounds a bit tryndee.
[name_m]Rochester[/name_m] - Pretty much ditto [name_m]Ferrars[/name_m], except that I would assume “[name_f]Bronte[/name_f] fans” rather than “maiden name.”

I think as a middle, your fine with just about anything.

[name_m]Aramis[/name_m]- love! yes, this makes a smashing middle. I once had a cow named [name_m]Aramis[/name_m] (and his brothers, [name_m]Porthos[/name_m] and Athos :)) D’Artagnan has always been on my GP list.
[name_m]Ferrars[/name_m]- I was thinking no until I skimmed through the comments and saw [name_m]Caspar[/name_m] [name_u]Gray[/name_u] [name_m]Ferrars[/name_m] and realized it could work as a middle.
Pimpernel/Blakeney- I know I said “just about anything” and this is an example of (imo) what not to do. I think Pimpernel should stay on the GP list. I don’t know any little boy who would be happy about his middle name Pimpernel getting out. Blakeney isn’t my style, but I think it works just fine.
[name_m]Rochester[/name_m]- yup yup, this one I can even see as a first. It’s a bit lofty, but I like it.

[name_u]LOVE[/name_u] [name_m]Caspar[/name_m] [name_u]Gray[/name_u] [name_m]Ferrars[/name_m] not really add the last name or have [name_m]Ferrars[/name_m] as a first middle have it flow it’s really handsome actually it’s just it’s hard 2 see as a FN… Hehe ya I suppose but orgy is one of my fave bands who doesn’t love blue [name_f]Monday[/name_f]/honestly I didn’t think of that ya I guess it is pretty close when said together :frowning:

@lumen never heard of the perfume but everything seems to be a perfume now a days

Personally I really like [name_m]Damian[/name_m] [name_m]Cassius[/name_m] [name_m]Ferrars[/name_m]

@redwoodfey I virtual pet dragon named [name_m]Porthos[/name_m] :slight_smile:

[name_m]Aramis[/name_m] I love and can see as a first or a middle.
[name_m]Rochester[/name_m] and Blakeney are useable as a middle for sure. I can theoretically see [name_m]Rochester[/name_m] as a first, but I live too close to [name_m]Rochester[/name_m], NY, to imagine anyone using it here in real life; it would feel like naming your kid Buffalo or Syracuse! :stuck_out_tongue:
[name_m]Ferrars[/name_m] is okay as a middle. Maybe it’s me, but I find names with repeated Rs difficult to pronounce, so that’s why I hesitate with this name, but really you rarely say your middle name, and for a second middle, it’s definitely fine.
Pimpernel is too close to pimp and pimple to really be useable, in my opinion.

Oooh, and I love [name_m]Caspar[/name_m] [name_u]Gray[/name_u] [name_m]Ferrars[/name_m]!

I think [name_m]Aramis[/name_m] Blakeney and [name_m]Rochester[/name_m] make the best middles, Pimpernel is just - no (pimp, pimple…there’s nothing but teasing in this one and I don’t think it makes for a very good name sound wise either all that aside.) [name_m]Ferrars[/name_m] doesn’t sound quite right. i think [name_m]Aramis[/name_m] has the most first name potential of them all.

We recently added [name_m]Aramis[/name_m] to our possibilities list, as a first. Meaning my husband didn’t immediately veto it…so yes, I think that one is definitely usable in the middle spot. Actually, they all are imo except Pimpernel which just sounds a bit too silly, and “pimp” like someone already mentioned and also like “pumpernickel”.

Hey [name_u]Ash[/name_u],
I’m a huge fan of literary names but I feel like some times one has to be careful not to fall into the “I’m smart and eclectic” name-nerd pit. I do it a lot! I think it’s because we see and hear all the other literary names sooooo many times that they just don’t feel fresh anymore. So in the case of the names you asked about…

[name_m]Aramis[/name_m] ([name_m]Hugo[/name_m]'s The Three Musketeers) - it does remind me first and foremost of the cologne my FIL uses. I do like it best from your questions though. I would definitely use it for a boy over a girl. Somehow the -mis ending feels masculine to me. [name_m]Aramis[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Aramis[/name_m] [name_m]Grant[/name_m], [name_m]Caleb[/name_m] [name_m]Aramis[/name_m], or [name_m]Caspar[/name_m] [name_m]Aramis[/name_m].

[name_m]Ferrars[/name_m] ([name_u]Austen[/name_u]'s Sense and Sensibility) - It feels a bit like [name_f]Ferrah[/name_f] or Ferrari. I guess it could work as a mn. Maybe [name_m]Caleb[/name_m] [name_m]Ferrars[/name_m]?

Pimpernel/Blakeney (Baroness Orczy’s The [name_f]Scarlet[/name_f] Pimpernel) - I know that pimpernels are a family of herbs but I really dislike it for a person. I could see it on a bunny or a ferret though. Blakeney could work but honestly it feels like you were trying to make [name_u]Blake[/name_u] or [name_u]Blakeley[/name_u] (more) unique.

[name_m]Rochester[/name_m] ([name_f]Bronte[/name_f]'s [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_f]Eyre[/name_f]) - I could totally see [name_m]Rochester[/name_m] working. I think it comes across as a little hoity-toighty but maybe that’s what you find appealing. I’d probably combo it with something more traditional/normal. [name_m]Rochester[/name_m] [name_m]Grant[/name_m] or [name_m]Rochester[/name_m] [name_u]Avery[/name_u].

I think all of them are usable except Pimpernel. [name_m]Rochester[/name_m] is especially nice [name_f]IMO[/name_f].

I think [name_m]Rochester[/name_m] is the most usable of those you’ve listed, especially with a shorter nickname such as [name_m]Rock[/name_m] or [name_m]Rocco[/name_m]. The disclaimer for my opinion is that I tend to be obsessed with shorter names and the “need” for nicknames, especially with masculine names.

I think that [name_m]Ferrars[/name_m] and Blakeney would make great firsts as well as middles, and [name_m]Aramis[/name_m] could work as the latter. And I love the books, but isn’t Pimpernel just a bit extreme as a name? Hehe, truly I do understand : ) [name_f]Scarlet[/name_f], [name_u]Percy[/name_u], [name_f]Marguerite[/name_f], [name_m]Armand[/name_m], [name_m]Andrew[/name_m], or [name_m]Antony[/name_m] could all work and are excellent names too. Or even [name_f]Emma[/name_f]. I’m not into [name_m]Rochester[/name_m] {it’s a little stuffy sounding to me} but it is useable.

Edit - I just recalled that in fact, Percy was his name, not Percival. Maybe you like it more?

I think they work as middle names fine because middle names are forgiving. Personally if I were a boy I wouldn’t mind these as my middle name, though I wouldn’t probably jump for joy either.

I had the same issue, I love certain characters but am not a fan of the first names, and the last names were too much for me! So I have the names [name_u]Austen[/name_u], [name_m]Lewis[/name_m], and [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] to honour character by [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_u]Austen[/name_u], C.S.[name_m]Lewis[/name_m] and [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] Wilde :slight_smile:

And to answer your question, I don’t mind Aramis but not a fan of the others.