Ariel for a boy

I really like the name [name_u]Ariel[/name_u] for a boy but the spelling always reminds people of the Disney princess. I am considering any of the following spellings instead:
[ul]

[/ul]

Opinions and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :smiley:

[name_u]Ariel[/name_u] is a good name for boy. Most of the alternative spelling seem feminine or tacky.

I agree with @aceofspades. I don’t really like any of the other spellings at all and, if anything, they’re more feminine. Or maybe I just associate misspellings with awful “creative” girl’s names like Brookelynne, Addysynne, MiKynzie, etc. You should probably just stick with [name_u]Ariel[/name_u].

[name_u]Ariel[/name_u] is a handsome name for a boy but the other spellings do seem a lil’ tacky.

I’ve known a few male Ariels. They all spell it traditionally, [name_u]Ariel[/name_u]. The other ones do look tacky.

I would not recommend [name_u]Ariel[/name_u] for a boy, because of [name_u]Ariel[/name_u] Castro. [name_u]Arden[/name_u] might be a good alternative, if you are interested.

[name_u]Ariel[/name_u] works well for a boy, the other spellings do not. They read more feminine.

[name_u]Ariel[/name_u] is a perfectly lovely name for a boy. However, the people who might relate the name to the Disney princess will still relate it to the Disney princess, regardless of spelling. As such, it would be best to stick with the original spelling [name_u]Ariel[/name_u] - simple, straight-forward, easy to spell and sound out and absolutely gorgeous.

The only other spelling I sort of like is [name_u]Arial[/name_u].

Exactly this, maybe because this is a recent story but the name [name_u]Ariel[/name_u] for a boy holds a lot of negativity. I would look for something else.

[name_u]Ariel[/name_u] may immediately give the idea of the Disney princess, but on second thoughts, it does look quite masculine! It however sounds slightly feminine. I like the original spelling best. If given a choice between the other four, [name_f]Aeriel[/name_f] would be my pick. It’s a word name and shouldn’t stand out too much. A great alternative to [name_u]Ariel[/name_u] would be [name_m]Aries[/name_m] ;D

I knew a boy back in high school named [name_u]Ariel[/name_u] and honestly he had a hard time with it. So most of the time he just went with [name_u]Ari[/name_u].

I like [name_u]Ariel[/name_u] for a boy. I used to know a guy who wore it really well. The other spellings are tacky and if anything make the name look feminine. As long as you’re pronouncing it “ARE-ee” instead of “[name_f]AIR[/name_f]-ee” I think you’ll be fine. There are worse things than a Disney princess to be associated with.

Too tied to the mermaid

[name_u]Ariel[/name_u] sounds really feminine to me

In the “real world” I just don’t see it working for a boy… jmho… there are so oops many other great boy names too take the chance he will be teased…

[name_u]Ariel[/name_u] looks the best, boy or girl. The others look a little tacky and might cause pronunciation issues which wouldn’t otherwise be there.

I agree with @aceofspades. I know some (all boys, actually no girls) people named [name_u]Ariel[/name_u] and it’s fine! One goes by the nn [name_u]Ari[/name_u].

Uriel is a good alternative although many people don’t like how it starts with Uri- which doesn’t bother me but I really like Ariel and don’t worry it sounds fine for a boy and this is coming from a teenager

While it does remind me a little of the mermaid, [name_u]Ariel[/name_u] is good enough for a boy and the other spellings aren’t too good…