Arlo or Ambrose?

In narrowing down my boys name list I am trying to decide between [name_u]Arlo[/name_u] and [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m]. I really like how masculine and classic [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] sounds but I am having a hard time pairing it with middle names and sibling names. I really love [name_u]Arlo[/name_u] because it is so cute and wearable but my family thinks it is more of a nickname. I get mixed emotions whenever I mention either of these names but I love them both so much. What do you all think?

1 Like

I like both of them! I understand why people think [name_u]Arlo[/name_u] is a nn. If you wanted, you could always pick another name and use [name_u]Arlo[/name_u] as a nn. [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] is very handsome. I understand you want it to work well with other siblings, but if it’s what you love the most, go for it!

There aren’t too many names that begin with Arl:

Arlen/Arlan/Arland/Arlin/Arlyn
[name_m]Arledge[/name_m]
[name_m]Arlington[/name_m]
[name_m]Arlis[/name_m]

2 Likes

I love [name_u]Arlo[/name_u] and am considering it for my son (who is on the way) although it is quickly rising in popularity and personally I prefer slightly less popular but nonetheless a lovely name

1 Like

Arlo is one of my all time favourites! I also like [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] though so you can’t really go wrong. Are you comfortable sharing sibling names? No worries if not but it might help with peoples decisions.

1 Like

I love [name_m]Arlington[/name_m], I hadn’t thought of using that before. Thanks!

3 Likes

I like [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] better! [name_u]Arlo[/name_u] seems like a pet name to me (probably because of The Good Dinosaur).

1 Like

I think [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] is so much more masculine and handsome. I like it a lot more than [name_u]Arlo[/name_u], which I do think is cute, but I agree with your family when they say it sounds more like a nickname. They’re both nice, but [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] is my favorite.

I vote for [name_u]Arlo[/name_u]. [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] does nothing for me.

2 Likes

Arlo!! Also, he doesn’t sound like a nickname to me at all.

Ambrose definitely. While I love [name_u]Arlo[/name_u] as well, [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] sounds more complete and versatile as he moves through life.

Arlo, definitely. The -o names are on-trend, and it’s a no fuss, no bad nickname choice. [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] is a little more frilly.

I adore [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m]! It just has a lovely warmth and gentleness to it while also feeling quite strong. I’ve always had trouble getting on board with [name_u]Arlo[/name_u], I’m not sure why. I generally love -o ending names!

Arlo—laid-back, back to nature vibes.

1 Like

[name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] for sure! It’s an underused gem and would definitely stand out amongst all the Arlos :wink:

I prefer [name_u]Arlo[/name_u]

1 Like

I love the suggestion of [name_m]Arlington[/name_m] “[name_u]Arlo[/name_u]”. But to me, [name_u]Arlo[/name_u] can stand on it’s own.

What about using both? One now and one for a future sibling? I think they go well together.

Arlo!

I really like [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m]. As you say, it feels much more classic and unexpected than [name_u]Arlo[/name_u], which has recently boomed in popularity where I live (UK). It’s got a really warm, solid, distinguished vibe.

I also really love the Welsh form: [name_m]Emrys[/name_m]. It strikes me as the perfect combination of classic, uncommon and cool.

4 Likes

Arlo is my favorite - gentle, distinct and fresh!
I always found [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] quite heavy.

1 Like

I love [name_u]Arlo[/name_u]. Funky, fresh and cool

1 Like