Asian Names

Hiya! I’m looking for names from THAILAND! If you are a Thai speaker or a native, I would greatly appreciate your help. I’m Thai, and my mom is from Thailand. Mom came to the states long time ago and has lost most of her native language. Lots of family history, language, culture, etc is lost as she is the last living family member. I’m looking for assistance in Thai names - male and female - and their meaning, with both Thai script (if possible) and [name_f]English[/name_f] spelling.

Also if you know anything about the name [name_f]Sunisa[/name_f], that’s appreciated as well (not in relevance to the wonderful Olympic gymnast, that’s just coincidence <3)

The following other ethnicities are also appreciated:
Vietnamese
Japanese
Chinese

Thank you so much. <3

1 Like

I do not have a history with that, but if you go to the advanced search option on nameberry, you can specify the origin, here is the search I did for Thai origin
https://nameberry.com/search/advanced/results?starts_with=&ends_with=&contains=&syllables=&origin_id=177&derivation=&submitted=true

2 Likes

I don’t speak Thai or have a lot of experience this but i do nanny for a lovely Thai lady and her three children!

I’ve always thought her name was lovely, even if she goes by a different one in english but her name is W1r1nt1ra :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

what i was about to say lol

Here is an excellent website for Thai names: Thai Names - Behind the Name (small selection) + Thai Submitted Names - Behind the Name (lots of names)

I am not a Thai speaker and used the Thai script provided by the websites.

Some female names:
Anong (อนงค์) meaning “beautiful woman”
Kanchana (กาญจนา) meaning “golden” (from Sanskrit)
Malai (มาลัย) meaning “garland of flowers”
Sukhon (สุคนธ์) meaning “fragrance” (from Pali)

Unisex:
Kulap (กุหลาบ) meaning “rose” (from Persian)

Male:
Anucha (อนุชา) meaning “younger brother”
Arthit (อาทิตย์) meaning “sun”
Arun (อรุณ) meaning “reddish brown” or “dawn”
Preecha (ปรีชา) meaning “intelligence, wisdom”
Sakchai (ศักดิ์) meaning “power, honor; victory”
Suriya (สุริยา) meaning “sun” (from Sanskrit)

2 Likes

I don’t know Thai but I know some Vietnamese and Chinese names.

Phượng (f) means Phoenix in Vietnamese
Thiên/Tiān (天) means sky or heaven in Vietnamese/Chinese respectively
Kǎi 凱 (unisex) means Victory in Chinese
Anh (unisex leaning female) means Hero (V)
Hồng (f) means pink or rose (V)
Hóng 紅 is red (C)
Ngọc (unisex leaning feminine) means Jewel/Gem (V)
Bǎo 寶 (unisex) means Treasure or precious
Bình (m) means Peace (V)
Lán 蘭 (f) means orchid (C)
Lóng 龍 (m) means Dragon (C)
Dà wèi 大衛 (David)

C=Chinese. V=Vietnamese

There were some Chinese names mentioned here as well especially in the last post

1 Like

Some more ideas:

[name_f]Arinya[/name_f] - [name_f]Beautiful[/name_f] knowledgeable woman
[name_f]Chantara[/name_f] - [name_f]Moon[/name_f] water
[name_f]Mali[/name_f] - [name_f]Jasmine[/name_f] flower
[name_f]Saranae[/name_f] - [name_f]Mint[/name_f], peppermint
[name_f]Sura[/name_f] - [name_u]Brave[/name_u]
[name_f]Suree[/name_f] - [name_u]Sun[/name_u]
[name_f]Tasanee[/name_f] - [name_f]Beautiful[/name_f] view

[name_u]Niran[/name_u] - [name_f]Eternal[/name_f]

I know of only one but wanted to share - my Thai roommate from uni is called Namtarn, and she goes by Tarn for short. I think her name is beautiful & the nickname really suits her as well. In Thai she spells it นํ้าตาล, and I think that can be translated to the Latin alphabet as either Namtan/Namthan or Namtarn, but she used the latter. I believe her name means sugar, but I’m not entirely sure!

If you haven’t come across it yet, Behind the name could be a good starting point too: Thai Submitted Names - Behind the Name

2 Likes

The only reason why I’m not using the nameberry database at this point in time is because I feel a large variety of them are just submitted by everyone. This post is in hopes that actual speakers and natives can contribute so I don’t end up naming my kids “small poop” or something, lol. :slight_smile: Thank you for your contribution though!

Hmm, only Nameberry editors can add names and I believe they do a deep research for all of them! Behind the Name still has my favourite database, though.

3 Likes

i totally know why you would ask for inside info! and the search i did didn’t even include that name you said!

Thank you for letting me know! I had no idea of the process but that’s reassuring to know!