Aslan!

Aslan’a Turkish name meaning “[name_m]Lion[/name_m]”.
Of course it’s a name very much tied to [name_f]Narnia[/name_f] but then people use Tolkien’s names, too, right?
The As part might bother some people but since names likes astrid exist as well, this doesn’t bother me very much.
Anyway, very much a guilty pleasure name (if anything it’s a middle name choice) but still, how do you like Aslan?

I don’t care for it. If anything, it works better in a girl.

When I looked at it I thought it said [name_f]Asian[/name_f].

I know nothing about the books at all so I wouldn’t know how to pronounce it either.

I like it. The C.S. [name_m]Lewis[/name_m] association is incredibly strong, though. It’s the first thing I thought of.

As far as I know it’s the Turkish word for lion, I don’t think they actually use it as a name.

Arslan is the Turkish word for lion. There are a few Turkish rulers who’ve worn arslan as a title of sorts, the most notable being this guy: Alp Arslan - Wikipedia.

Aslan is used as both a given name and a surname. [name_m]Just[/name_m] peruse this list: Aslan (disambiguation) - Wikipedia

i like Aslan, but i’m not crazy about it - the ‘sl’ sound like in [name_u]Sloane[/name_u] doesn’t really appeal to me. overall, it’s a nice name. C:

Wikipedia and several men named Aslan beg to differ Aslan (disambiguation) - Wikipedia

When I translate it, it always shows up as Aslan. [name_m]Even[/name_m] when you go on and try to get [name_m]Lion[/name_m] [name_f]Tamer[/name_f], it’s still Aslan something.
Maybe you can use both or in some part one or the other is used. It’s a word in a few other langages as well, so maybe it’s arslan there?

I don’t see anything girly about Aslan, maybe it sounds a bit unisex but right now all those trendy boys’ names end in -n (it’s actually not that far from Nolan), while few “real” girls’ names do.

It’s AHS-lan. I’m not sure how many people actually know Narnia but even for those that don’t it wouldn’t be a problem, because should I put the name anywhere, it’s the middle spot :slight_smile:

The tie is awfully strong but when you name children Arwen or Thorin, the first thing people think about is probably LOTR/Hobbit and if you love the series and characters and stand behind your choice, the occasional “like LOTR” won’t bother you much, either (or so I think).

That’s fine, we can’t all be crazy about everything. Sloane isn’t my favourite either but then it’s As-lan.

Thanks to those who answered my question :slight_smile:

I have mixed feelings about this one. If it really is the Turkish word for lion and can be verified as such, or indeed if Arslan is, either or both would be a pretty cool option. But Aslan by itself, without the Turkish connection, I’m kind of iffy on.

I know that sounds hypocritical if you scan my signature, but if you do go with Aslan, he’s going to always be connected to [name_f]Narnia[/name_f] in the States and [name_f]England[/name_f]. That’s not a problem at all if you have a story to tell him that he can later tell his friends - as in, “Yeah, my parents are massive fans of C.S. [name_m]Lewis[/name_m] and they didn’t want to go with something as drab as [name_m]Peter[/name_m] or [name_m]Edmund[/name_m].” That makes sense. But it’s not a name I’d choose just for the heck of it, without a good reason.

For what it’s worth, although it is unique, I much prefer [name_m]Caspian[/name_m].

That seems logical. Sort of a color/colour or favorite/favourite type thing.

I wouldn’t be able to use it personally. It is a nice enough name and I’m not denying the meaning is very cool, but isn’t Aslan meant to represent god in the [name_f]Narnia[/name_f] novels? The entire works are just a parable for Christianity. I wouldn’t be able to use Aslan without thinking about how the kid is technically named after god.

Wiki says Aslan (Turkish) stems from Arslan (Old Turkic from Proto-Turkic) but the Turkish noun is Aslan meaning “[name_m]Lion[/name_m]” which is used as both a firstname and more commonly a surname (maybe a bit like [name_m]Jackson[/name_m]).
Old Turkic seems to be something like "Old High [name_m]German[/name_m]"while Turkish would be “[name_m]German[/name_m]” in this example.

Not a fan at all.

I really like it. It has a nice sound, cool meaning, and I actually like that it’s connected to [name_f]Narnia[/name_f].

I’m a very huge fan of [name_f]Narnia[/name_f], so personally I think it’s awesome! I wouldn’t be worried about the -As beginning, since the pronounciation is more like AHS-lan. I say go for it :slight_smile:

Thank You, you seem one of the few who do :slight_smile: I really love the [name_f]Narnia[/name_f] connection, too (otherwise I wouldn’t consider it) as the character is a very strong and admirable one.

I’m one of those people, and please don’t hate me for that, who says that once the book is written and puplished, it’s up to the reader to interpret it.
Of course now I get that Aslan was written as a character that was supposed to show what “[name_m]Christ[/name_m] would do if he had come to a world like [name_f]Narnia[/name_f]” (something [name_m]Lewis[/name_m] said) but back when I was a child, I simple admired his character and gentleness, his strenght and how wonderful he seemed, which is what I would name a kid after, no matter where the author got these traits from (I hope this is somehow understandable) :slight_smile:

I really like the name Aslan. [name_f]Narnia[/name_f] is definitely not a bad connection to have, but a really really positive one. I would love to meet an Aslan one day, wouldn’t think it was strange at all. Though, I do have both [name_f]Arwen[/name_f] and [name_m]Thorin[/name_m] on my lists, so perhaps my opinion doesn’t really count.

I just asked my mum - who is just a normal (yet judgemental) person and doesn’t like talking about names - how she would feel about meeting an Aslan, and she said it is fine. She wouldn’t bat an eyelid over it being so different. I don’t think that it’s too out there or odd to be used in real life - particularly if my mother said it was fine.

I don’t have any issue with it being used other than I don’t really like the name. If you like it and love the series (I love the series!), then I say go for it.