Astrid vs Astra, Florence vs Flora

Hello!

I made a similar post the other day about [name_u]Juniper[/name_u] vs [name_f]Juno[/name_f] and [name_f]Philippa[/name_f]/[name_f]Penelope[/name_f] vs [name_f]Pippa[/name_f]. I keep having a dilemma of really liking two similar names, and not being sure which one I prefer! We are TTC in the next few months, so these would be for a daughter.

This time it’s [name_f]Astra[/name_f] vs [name_f]Astrid[/name_f], and [name_f]Florence[/name_f] vs [name_f]Flora[/name_f].

[name_f]Astra[/name_f]/[name_f]Astrid[/name_f] –
I love the strength of both of these names. The starry feel of [name_f]Astra[/name_f] is perfect, but [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] feels both dreamy and grounded at the same time which is nice. [name_f]Astra[/name_f] seems a bit more unusual, [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] more recognizable, but neither are common. [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] has the misfortune of possible rude childhood teasing nicknames, but really all names can be twisted into teasing potential so I don’t want to base my whole decision on that. Thoughts?

[name_f]Florence[/name_f]/[name_f]Flora[/name_f] (vs [name_f]Fiona[/name_f] vs [name_f]Freya[/name_f]) –
Again, love both of these names. [name_f]Florence[/name_f] is a bit more buttoned up and I love the [name_f]Florence[/name_f] Nightengale association. It’s sweet and feminine yet strong and professional. [name_f]Flora[/name_f] is just so lovely and happy and carefree that I have to consider it as an option as well! However, [name_f]Flora[/name_f] does sometimes make me think about bacteria… But I think that’s an association I could get past. An additional problem with both of these names is that I have loved [name_f]Fiona[/name_f] for a long time, and am also very fond of the name [name_f]Freya[/name_f]. I know I could realistically only have one F name in my sibset, and I don’t know which is the best one!

As a summary of my style and preference, I want a strong, versatile, fresh female name that could fit any personality and any profession, but ideally with some element of spunkiness and fire. I really want to avoid names that are overdone or tired, as well as names that are overly pretentious and would make teachers/parents/other kids roll their eyes about how over-the-top or “unique” the names are.

[name_f]TIA[/name_f]! :slight_smile:

1 Like

[name_f]Astra[/name_f] vs [name_f]Astrid[/name_f]: I personally don’t care for either, but I do think I prefer [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] as it feels more familiar.

[name_f]Florence[/name_f] vs [name_f]Flora[/name_f]: [name_f]Flora[/name_f]! I think [name_f]Flora[/name_f] is bright and charming. [name_f]Florence[/name_f] feels a little stuffy to me. Though, personal taste aside, you can’t really go wrong with either of these. :slight_smile:

I like [name_f]Fiona[/name_f] and [name_f]Freya[/name_f] about equally, but I’d probably lean towards [name_f]Fiona[/name_f]. Overall, though, I’m between [name_f]Flora[/name_f] and [name_f]Fiona[/name_f]…

I’m not a fan of Astra/Astrid for the teasing potential you mentioned as well as lack of nicknames. But I prefer Astra because it feels less formal to me and I like that it feels a bit whimsical. What about putting one of these names in the middle names?

I love both Florence and Fiona. Florence is the clear winner over Flora to me. I like Florence because it is classic and feminine while still having a spunky feel (I don’t think it’s stuffy). The way I think about it is if a girl is a tomboy she may dislike having the name Flora but would likely not have a problem with Florence (just because Flora is so girly and sounds a lot like flower). This is something I didn’t really think about until recently because I’ve always liked feminine names but now I’m starting to realize there are some so feminine that might feel limiting. That could just me be though. I like Freya too but just worry it might feel a bit dated in a decade or too because it is trendy.
Overall my favorites in order are 1. Florence 2. Fiona. 3. Freya 4. Astra 5. Flora 6. Astrid

I just love the name [name_f]Astrid[/name_f], so this gets my vote over [name_f]Astra[/name_f]. I’m fairly sure there’s a car make called an [name_f]Astra[/name_f] here in Australia, a [name_m]Holden[/name_m] [name_f]Astra[/name_f] I think, so that’s all I can think of. In regard to teasing, I can’t imagine someone called [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] or [name_f]Astra[/name_f] actually being teased. Kids have such unusual names these days and are used to hearing the wildest of names so I don’t think [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] would garner a second thought.

In regards to your F names, I love [name_f]Florence[/name_f], [name_f]Flora[/name_f] and [name_f]Freya[/name_f], with [name_f]Freya[/name_f] being my favourite. My issue with actually using [name_f]Florence[/name_f] on a little girl is that it’s fairly long and I don’t love any of the nicknames, which is why I’d probably use [name_f]Flora[/name_f] over [name_f]Florence[/name_f] personally. But to me [name_f]Freya[/name_f] has that fire and spunkiness you’re talking about.

I didn’t see your other posts but I love the name [name_f]Juno[/name_f] and although I think [name_u]Juniper[/name_u] is gorgeous, [name_f]Juno[/name_f] on its own is hard to beat in my opinion. So much spunk!

[name_f]Astrid[/name_f] gets my vote. It feels ethereal and starry, full of kick while also feeling grounded and usable.

[name_f]Flora[/name_f] seems to suit your style and needs better - it’s cute, quirky, strong and pretty

Firstly good luck with TTC hopefully your journey goes smoothly and you end up with a healthy baby!

[name_f]Astra[/name_f] vs [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] - I’m not keen on either but I prefer [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] as with [name_f]Astra[/name_f] just makes me think of my sister’s car (Vauxhall [name_f]Astra[/name_f]) I want to suggest [name_f]Ingrid[/name_f] to you I think it has a similar vibe to [name_f]Astrid[/name_f]/[name_f]Astra[/name_f] but prettier love the potential [name_f]Indie[/name_f] nickname.

[name_f]Florence[/name_f] vs [name_f]Flora[/name_f] - my favourite is [name_f]Flora[/name_f] it wins hands down both names are pretty of course it’s just [name_f]Flora[/name_f] is spunky upbeat name. Super pretty! I also prefer [name_f]Flora[/name_f] to [name_f]Freya[/name_f] & [name_f]Fiona[/name_f]. [name_f]Flora[/name_f] is just lovely!

Suggestions:
[name_f]Ivy[/name_f]
[name_f]Imogen[/name_f]
[name_f]Elena[/name_f]
[name_f]Odette[/name_f]
[name_f]Harriet[/name_f]
[name_f]Felicity[/name_f]
[name_f]Eve[/name_f]

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helped

1 Like

[name_f]Astrid[/name_f] and [name_f]Florence[/name_f] are my favourites.

I think I prefer [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] to [name_f]Astra[/name_f], just for the fact that the Latin phrase ‘ad astra’ is all I can think of, so I see [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] as more name-y, if that makes sense. And yes, I wouldn’t really worry about teasing - with [name_f]Astrid[/name_f], kids might be familiar with the [name_m]How[/name_m] to Train Your Dragon character; also, as @tdfm said, it’ll hardly be the most unusual name kids will encounter.

[name_f]Flora[/name_f] vs. [name_f]Florence[/name_f] is an ongoing debate of mine, actually! Personally, I think I prefer the sound of [name_f]Florence[/name_f] and the streamlined look of [name_f]Flora[/name_f]. However, I don’t think you only need to use one F name at all - [name_f]Fiona[/name_f] and [name_f]Freya[/name_f] are both beautiful choices as well, and I could completely see a set of sisters named [name_f]Fiona[/name_f], [name_f]Freya[/name_f] and [name_f]Florence[/name_f]/[name_f]Flora[/name_f]. I do think that [name_f]Freya[/name_f] and [name_f]Flora[/name_f] sound somewhat similar (same number of syllables, both end in -a, shared ‘r’ sound) but I don’t see that issue so much with [name_f]Florence[/name_f] and [name_f]Freya[/name_f]. So, my vote here would probably go to [name_f]Florence[/name_f]!

[name_f]Astrid[/name_f] over [name_f]Astra[/name_f] for me as well. [name_f]Astra[/name_f] just doesn’t feel very name-y to me? It feels almost lacking or incomplete, whereas [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] sounds more full and complete and more pleasing to the ears.

For similar reasons, I prefer [name_f]Florence[/name_f] over [name_f]Flora[/name_f] as well, but I also think you could easily use [name_f]Flora[/name_f] as a nn for [name_f]Florence[/name_f]! [name_f]Flora[/name_f] would make a very cute nn and this way you’d get to use both!

As for [name_f]Freya[/name_f] and [name_f]Fiona[/name_f]…I’m not sure, they‘re both great names! I’d probably choose [name_f]Fiona[/name_f] or [name_f]Freya[/name_f] over [name_f]Florence[/name_f], with a preference to [name_f]Freya[/name_f].

I like [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] better than [name_f]Astra[/name_f], I always actually feel like [name_f]Astra[/name_f] is a mispronounced or incomplete [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] even though I know they’re two different and legitimate names. I quite like [name_f]Astrid[/name_f].

[name_f]Florence[/name_f] and [name_f]Flora[/name_f] are both NMS but I like [name_f]Florence[/name_f] better than [name_f]Flora[/name_f], it seems more dignified while [name_f]Flora[/name_f] just feels really airy and fluffy in a way I don’t care for. I definitely like [name_f]Fiona[/name_f] way better than either of those, though. (I like [name_f]Freya[/name_f] better too, but I [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] [name_f]Fiona[/name_f]).

Thanks all!! I think I prefer [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] and [name_f]Flora[/name_f]. [name_f]Florence[/name_f] is lovely, but it sounds odd with my last name, and I think the freshness of [name_f]Flora[/name_f] is just darling. I still don’t know between [name_f]Flora[/name_f] and [name_f]Fiona[/name_f] and [name_f]Freya[/name_f], but I have some time to mull it over :slight_smile:

I was a little surprised at how divisive these names seem, I wonder why so many people dislike [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] and think it sounds harsh. I find it quite lovely! But it’s good to keep those perceptions in mind!

1 Like

I love the name [name_f]Astrid[/name_f]! It’s one of my top crushes. For [name_f]Florence[/name_f] v [name_f]Flora[/name_f] I think you could easily do [name_f]Florence[/name_f] nn [name_f]Flora[/name_f]. I also think that you could get away with a [name_f]Florence[/name_f] and a [name_f]Fiona[/name_f] or [name_f]Freya[/name_f] where I think [name_f]Flora[/name_f] on it’s own is a little too close. If you just pick one I’d have to say I prefer bother [name_f]Fiona[/name_f] and [name_f]Freya[/name_f] to [name_f]Flora[/name_f].

1 Like

[name_u]Love[/name_u] this, thank you!! I also am completely in love with [name_f]Astrid[/name_f], happy to hear that you love it too! I think I agree, that [name_f]Flora[/name_f] can be a nickname for [name_f]Florence[/name_f] if need be, but I’m leaning towards [name_f]Fiona[/name_f] and/or [name_f]Freya[/name_f] over [name_f]Flora[/name_f]/[name_f]Florence[/name_f] anyway because they’re spunkier and less frilly.

1 Like

[name_f]Astrid[/name_f] vs [name_f]Astra[/name_f]: Definitely [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] I like the meaning plus [name_f]Astra[/name_f] reminds me of the car.

[name_f]Florence[/name_f] vs [name_f]Flora[/name_f] : tougher one, but [name_f]Florence[/name_f] just wins it, for both the more complete sound and nn possibilities, plus [name_f]Flora[/name_f] could always be a nn for [name_f]Florence[/name_f].

[name_f]Astra[/name_f] vs. [name_f]Astrid[/name_f]

[name_f]Astrid[/name_f] for me! I love that unconventional ending sound, it really makes it feel distinctive and gives it an extra “oomph” that more than makes up for the difference in popularity.

[name_f]Astra[/name_f] is nice too, but have you considered [name_f]Aster[/name_f]? Absolutely love that, and again it feels a little feistier and more distinctive than [name_f]Astra[/name_f] to me because it deviates from the A----a pattern that’s so prevalent in popular girls’ names right now.

[name_f]Florence[/name_f] vs. [name_f]Flora[/name_f]

[name_f]Flora[/name_f] :heart_eyes: This has been near the top of my own list for a long time. It’s not as obviously fiery and feisty as some of my (and your) other favourites, but it’s got a quiet, simple, feminine strength to it which I love. [name_f]Florence[/name_f] definitely feels more lacy, and more girly-vintage, to me.

Best of luck with TTC! :four_leaf_clover:

I prefer [name_f]Astra[/name_f] since it flows better, something about the combination between the sh sound after the A and final D makes [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] sound off. [name_m]Don[/name_m]’t cross it off your list just yet, like you said, all (almost all) names can be made into a negative nickname.

Not [name_f]Florence[/name_f], [name_f]Flora[/name_f], [name_f]Fiona[/name_f], nor [name_f]Freya[/name_f] sound pretentious, especially in the UK where [name_f]Florence[/name_f] and [name_f]Freya[/name_f] are gaining a following. I’ve loved [name_f]Flora[/name_f] for a long time along with its Spanish variant of [name_f]Flor[/name_f]. [name_f]Fiona[/name_f] doesn’t do it for me personally, plus you ought to get ready for Shrek references. [name_f]Freya[/name_f] is alright, but it isn’t appealing to me for whatever reason. I suggest [name_f]Florence[/name_f].

@Lulu82 – I don’t think we have that car in the US, at least I’ve never heard of it! But good to know.

@katinka – Yes that’s true, the A–a pattern ([name_f]Ava[/name_f], [name_u]Arya[/name_u], etc) is certainly surging right now, and [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] side-steps that nicely. [name_f]Aster[/name_f] to me sounds unappealingly masculine, but I wonder if that’s due to an accent thing, since I am in the US. If the “-er” sound was pronounced more lightly, as in a British accent, it would have quite a different feel I think. And I love your fondness for [name_f]Flora[/name_f]! You’re right, I do think quite feminine strength is often underestimated, but can be quite powerful and should be appreciated in its own right. Thanks so much re: TTC! Nervous but excited!

@GenEric – Huh, when I say [name_f]Astrid[/name_f], there’s no “sh” sound. [name_m]How[/name_m] do you pronounce it? To me, it’s Aah-strid, with the “Aah” first syllable as in the long a in cat, and the “strid” second syllable very clean and crisp. Re: [name_f]Fiona[/name_f], do you think Shrek is still that strong of a reference that it would affect a child born now? She’s a good character, but I’d think that most kids now aren’t huge fans of Shrek, and it’ll be a continually diminishing association over the next 5-10+ years. But maybe not?

2 Likes

I pronounce it like ash, trid (rhymes with rid). Shrek is pretty popular with people my age (late 90s, early to mid 00s), but I can’t see why it’d be more popular with kids this generation, so it probably isn’t a big concern, just something to note.

Those are my preference as well!

1 Like

It’s definitely not the first association I have but I was never a big Shrek fan. I think at this point it’s not going to be people’s first thought the way someone named “[name_f]Hermione[/name_f]” or “[name_f]Katniss[/name_f]” would be.