Ayla vs. Brielle

I am having a girl after 2 boys…and I really want a girly name. I [name]LOVE[/name] both [name]Ayla[/name] and [name]Brielle[/name], but can’t decide. Could you please give me your opinions on these names? I haven’t met anyone with either name and they both sound perfect with our sons and our last name. Thank you.

I love [name]Brielle[/name] as a nickname for [name]Gabrielle[/name]. On its own, I don’t like it as much, but I prefer it to [name]Ayla[/name]. I think [name]Ayla[/name] would cause a lot of spelling and pronunciation problems.

I much prefer [name]Ayla[/name]. [name]Brielle[/name] just seems incomplete to me. [name]Ayla[/name] just feels stronger, and I prefer the look of it.

I second a previous posters suggestion of [name]Gabrielle[/name] on the birth certificate, nn. [name]Brielle[/name]. I think this is beautiful, and definately fits your requirement of a girly name for your daughter.

To me, personally, while neither name are my style, I think [name]Ayla[/name] will better stand the test of time.

I feel like [name]Brielle[/name] is a fad name, and 20 years from now, will be dated like [name]Shirley[/name] and the like.

To me, personally, while neither name are my style, I think [name]Ayla[/name] will better stand the test of time.

I feel like [name]Brielle[/name] is a fad name, and 20 years from now, will be dated like [name]Shirley[/name] and the like.

I prefer [name]Ayla[/name]…no strong reasoning why, just do. [name]Don[/name]'t mind [name]Brielle[/name] at all though. Best wishes either way!

I prefer [name]Ayla[/name], but spelled [name]Isla[/name]. [name]Ayla[/name] seems trendy to me while [name]Isla[/name] looks/feels more classic and classy.

For [name]Brielle[/name], I would make that a nickname for another, longer name such as [name]Gabrielle[/name].

This.

I really REALLY like [name]Brielle[/name]. I love this name!

[name]Ayla[/name] just doesn’t do it for me.

I don’t care for either, honestly, so I cannot even pick! But is [name]Ayla[/name] pron same as [name]Isla[/name], as another poster suggested? If so, then [name]Isla[/name] FOR SURE. otherwise, [name]Brielle[/name]/[name]Bree[/name] is a very cute NN for [name]Gabrielle[/name] or [name]Gabriella[/name].

Are you pronouncing [name]Ayla[/name] “EYE-la” (like [name]Isla[/name]) or “EH-la”?

Between your two names, IF you are pronouncing [name]Ayla[/name] “EYE-la”, then I like [name]Ayla[/name] better. We named DD#2 Aila (prn “EYE-la”) because we liked the name [name]Isla[/name], but didn’t like the spelling or the meaning. Aila is actually the Finnish version of [name]Aileen[/name], which worked for us because we have Finnish heritage and we like the meaning.

If you go with [name]Brielle[/name], which is pretty as well, I agree that it would probably age better as a nn for a longer name like [name]Gabrielle[/name]. I can’t think of any other longer names you could use, but if you don’t like [name]Gabrielle[/name] and want some other longer name suggestions for the nn [name]Brielle[/name], you could post another message specifically asking if any other nameberries have other suggestions.

I love [name]Ayla[/name], esp. if pronounced A-La, but I like it way better than [name]Brielle[/name] no matter how it’s pronounced. I think it is a really lovely name.

I read [name]Ayla[/name] as [name]Kayla[/name] without the k sound…if you are going for a sound like [name]Isla[/name] (which for some reason I doubt) then spell I would it that way, but I’m not a fan of it. I don’t care for [name]Brielle[/name] alone…but like [name]Ayla[/name] [name]Gabrielle[/name] or [name]Isla[/name] [name]Gabrielle[/name] or even Aubrielle (which I love). :slight_smile:

I completely assumed the pronunciation was A-la (as rhyming with “hay” and “may”). I also prefer [name]Ayla[/name] to [name]Brielle[/name].

[name]Happy[/name] to read of a little Aila out there! That would be a heritage name for me too!

I was assuming [name]Ayla[/name] to be like [name]Layla[/name] or [name]Kayla[/name] without the first consonant. I believe it has an etymology of its own - a Hebrew name meaning gazelle. Check me on that, but it’s nice if true.

This exactly. [name]Both[/name] [name]Isla[/name] and [name]Gabrielle[/name] are beautiful names (they’d even make a great combo, [name]Isla[/name] [name]Gabrielle[/name]) and you can’t go wrong with either.

Assuming [name]Ayla[/name] = rhyming with [name]Kayla[/name], then I prefer [name]Brielle[/name]. I prefer [name]Isla[/name] over [name]Brielle[/name] though.

I love love [name]Brielle[/name]!

[name]Ayla[/name] is pretty, but I do agree that you might have pronouciation. I didn’t realize it was pronounced like “[name]Isla[/name]” until I read these posts.

My cousin named her little girl [name]Ayla[/name] and it’s absolutely perfect! She is now seven years old and is a bright, spunky, adventurous ‘girly-girl’! I absolutely love the name. She doesn’t have many pronounciation problems, probably because she pronounces it exactly as it is spelled (rhyming with [name]Kayla[/name]).

Our grandmother’s name was [name]Helen[/name], and somewhere my cousin found that [name]Ayla[/name] was a form of this name. I haven’t looked into it, but thought it was interesting. Anyhow, [name]Ayla[/name] definitely gets my vote!

Best wishes!