Baby Bao Bucket's Name of the Week

Tbh I’m not crazy about [name_f]Octavia[/name_f] [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] or [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f] Menodora. I like all of the names individually (except Menodora, sorry), but the former combo falls flat compared to your others and I don’t think the sounds of the latter flow well together.

1 Like

I have to agree, honestly.

I like [name_f]Octavia[/name_f] and [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] both as names and for you – especially LOVING [name_f]Octavia[/name_f] with your boys’ names. But there’s just too much ‘v’ in the combo, imho. But that’s not necessarily a huge issue/dealbreaker, so it could definitely still work!

I’m not super fond of [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f], personally, but I see the appeal and like it for you. However, Menodora…the sound of it is not very appealing to me. I just think of the word ‘menopause’, and that bothers me. Sorry! :grimacing:

(I didn’t want to be the first to give negative feedback, obviously. Please, let me assure you that this is just my opinion, and if you choose one of these names, I am sure it will be the perfect choice!) :slight_smile:

1 Like

Breaking the mold a bit here:
I love Menodora, but I’m not the biggest fan of [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f]. I think it could definitely have a place and I don’t dislike it, but it just doesn’t sound substantial. [name_m]Don[/name_m]'t get me wrong, I appreciate Metamorphoses and want to love [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f]… it just doesn’t feel as solid or demonstrative.
Menodora [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f] would amaze, [name_f]Olympias[/name_f] [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f] [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] would be lovely. I just can’t quite get into H, A, and [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f].
Obviously, because of this comment, I am now going to find myself obsessed with [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f] in a week but those are my thoughts at this moment.
:crescent_moon:

3 Likes

I think [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f] is adorable and I love it, but I feel like a longer first name goes better with your son’s names. I don’t love Menodora, but it could grow on me. I prefer the name [name_f]Pandora[/name_f]. I like @lateaugust’s suggestion of [name_f]Olympias[/name_f] [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f] [name_f]Maeve[/name_f]!

1 Like

Haha, toilet Menonites is not too great…

Oh, no need to be hesitant or shy about feedback. As with [name_f]Chrysanthemum[/name_f]'s name saga, often hearing the negative feedback is helpful in either dissuading me OR letting me know that my love is stronger than the reasons not to love it.

[name_f]Thisbe[/name_f]'s sounds are so much stronger but I agree that the ideas and feelings behind [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f] are less solid and demonstrative.

Thank you all again for the feedback. If I have a singleton, I’m not sure after this past week that [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f] Menodora can make the cut but I do feel like she might be right on the off chance I have twins (not likely at all).

2 Likes

Week 12:
[name_f]Minerva[/name_f] [name_f]Marigold[/name_f]

[details=“[name_f]Minerva[/name_f]”]
[name_f]Minerva[/name_f] was one of the very first girl names my partner and I could whole-heartedly agree we both loved. I love her strength and power, the wisdom and the “of the mind/intellect” meaning. I love the imagery of grey-eyed [name_f]Athena[/name_f] and the amazingness of [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] McGonagall.

As HF’s name was always slated for a boy, we had always imagined [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] as an excellent sibling to H. We did have [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] Geneviève picked out as the backup “if we chicken out” name for our first daughter, so that kind of lost her favor with us because she has always since felt like a very “safe” option.

The biggest downside, however, is the sound of the name in [name_u]French[/name_u]:

It has always held me back, but I feel like calling her “[name_f]Mina[/name_f]” or “[name_f]Nim[/name_f]” would work well in [name_u]French[/name_u]. I recognize that I’m not sounding super chipper about the name on the whole, which does little to win you over to her cause, but [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] really will be the one that got away if we don’t use it. I do feel a slight tinge of regret at the thought of not using [name_f]Minerva[/name_f], despite the reservations we have. I also think that I spent enough of my early Nameberry years going on about loving [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] that many of you associate the name with me, and I love that. She does feel “me” to me. [name_f]My[/name_f] husband is also still thoroughly in love with her, and every time I get overwhelmed with names and think there is no hope of us coming up with the perfect name, he continually comes back to, “But what about [name_f]Minerva[/name_f]?”
[/details]

[details=“[name_f]Marigold[/name_f]”]

[name_f]Marigold[/name_f] would neatly honor both of my biological grandmothers, [name_f]Margot[/name_f] and [name_u]Marie[/name_u], but (I feel a bit badly saying this), those aren’t nearly as important honors to me as many others. Nevertheless, it is nice to be able to honor them with such a lovely name.

[/details]

[details=“[name_f]Minerva[/name_f] [name_f]Marigold[/name_f]”]
I love the alliteration. I feel that they are perfectly balanced together and this name has been on our list and a favorite for a very, very long time (which has both positives and negatives).

And while this isn’t one of my meaning-forward combos, and the name doesn’t necessarily sing out their meanings, I do love the vibe I get of the “sunny flower of the mind.” I get vibes of a warm and inviting but incredibly wise and courageous woman, and I love that.
[/details]

Alright… this is week 12. We are now half-way through my proposed 24 week experiment. Finally sharing [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] here also rounds out the shortlist of first names: [name_f]Petra[/name_f], [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f], [name_u]Tempest[/name_u], [name_f]Minerva[/name_f], [name_f]Octavia[/name_f], [name_f]Perpetua[/name_f], and [name_f]Olympias[/name_f]. I believe that shortlist still stands since I made it a couple months ago. I have made MAJOR progress since we started this weekly ritual. I thank you for your patience and continued feedback and support, which really do help me clarify things. I feel closer to a true shortlist of combos for our final girl than ever before.

The remaining 12 weeks I will continue sharing my combos, but you may find them a bit more repetitive by necessity as I truly narrow and hone. Please do continue to share your feedback as it oh so helpful to me, and this weekly meditation has done so much to help clarify my priorities and desires for the naming process with this little one.

:yellow_heart:
You all are the best!

4 Likes

Oh, I LOVE [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] [name_f]Marigold[/name_f]. The alliteration is fabulous, and I love the contrast between the names. <3

1 Like

Okay, time to play catch-up.

[name_f]Olympias[/name_f] [name_f]Petra[/name_f] [name_f]Maeve[/name_f]:

This one grew on me the more I looked at it. Initially, I would have preferred [name_f]Olympia[/name_f], but looking at it more and reading the reasoning, it looks better and better. It has a regal, bada** feel to it. This is also my favorite combo to include [name_f]Petra[/name_f]. [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] is also one of my favorite names and it ties the whole thing together.

[name_f]Octavia[/name_f] [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]:

I love both names. [name_f]Octavia[/name_f] is so strong and regal, while [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] (both pronunciations) has such a sweetness to it. I feel they balance each other out.

[name_f]Thisbe[/name_f] Menodora:

This is my least favorite of the bunch. I like both names, but the combo feels lacking. However, it does remind me of a character I had in high school named [name_f]Luna[/name_f] [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f], named so because it meant “moon lover” (I was fourteen, don’t judge me).

[name_f]Minerva[/name_f] [name_f]Marigold[/name_f]:

[name_f]My[/name_f] favorite since [name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f] [name_f]Marigold[/name_f]. It has the same energy and I absolutely love the mythology reference. Also, while my love for HP has waned over the years, Professor McGonagall was my childhood hero.

For me, as of now, my top three are [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] [name_f]Marigold[/name_f], [name_f]Olympias[/name_f] [name_f]Petra[/name_f] [name_f]Maeve[/name_f], and [name_f]Perpetua[/name_f] [name_u]Jule[/name_u].

1 Like

I really like [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] [name_f]Marigold[/name_f]. :blush: I think the nicknames [name_f]Mina[/name_f] and [name_f]Nim[/name_f] are adorable and perfect to fix the problem in [name_u]French[/name_u]. The alliteration is great and the fact that it has been a favorite for both of you for so long means you likely won’t regret using it.

I still really love [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f] Menodora and [name_f]Olympias[/name_f] [name_f]Petra[/name_f] [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] but [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] feels like a very “Metal [name_m]Ox[/name_m]” type name. Who wouldn’t want to be named after such a cool goddess?

Hmm…if [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f] and [name_u]Tempest[/name_u] are not the ones then I guess [name_f]Olympias[/name_f] and [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] are tied for me right now.

1 Like

Solid shortlist!

I hope this would be the case. I have so many options I love and naming the last baby is just so hard as there will always be unused names left on the table.

2 Likes

Very pretty, although I don’t pronounce it the way you say it.
Genevieve that is.

1 Like

I tend to prefer one middle combos, but the last three options have all felt somehow like “settling” for you. Pretty, but no spark.

Thisbe Menodora comes closest for me. I so love [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f] and really vibe with the moony, mystical imagery I get from her next to Menodora. This combo feels very YOU. I think the problem is that I am unconvinced by the sibet as a whole.

But, enough criticism. I mostly hopped on to say that [name_f]Perpetua[/name_f] has been on mind for the last couple of weeks and I am now wholly persuaded by her. I saw it used in “real life” as a character on a show and it was much more natural than I had thought it might be. [name_f]Perpetua[/name_f] [name_u]Jule[/name_u] is definitely my frontrunner, followed by the [name_f]Petra[/name_f] options. [name_f]Olympias[/name_f] [name_f]Petra[/name_f] is also so perfect, but I think [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] is a weak link. I’ll be so interested to see what you narrow it down to, because I feel my own opinions growing stronger each week! :joy:

1 Like

I love [name_f]Minerva[/name_f], it’s one of my favorite girl names and [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] is so sweet. I like [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] but I’m not crazy about it. I’m personally not a fan of alliteration, so I prefer [name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f] [name_f]Marigold[/name_f]. Also, I don’t think [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] sounds safe! It’s really pretty and unique :heart:

1 Like

A bit short and sweet today, I might add more later but I couldn’t just scroll past

First, I just noticed they made a name page for [name_f]Olympias[/name_f]!

Second, [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] is gorgeous! Feels like sunbeams and reading on a picnic blanket outside. I like that all the names are gently underworldly (and otherworldly). I’m still team [name_f]Olympias[/name_f], but [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] deserves to be a serious contender.

1 Like

Minerva [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] is lovely! The alliteration really sings

1 Like

I really like [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] [name_f]Marigold[/name_f]! The alliteration is nice, and [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] is one of the most perfect ‘Metal [name_m]Ox[/name_m]’ names I’ve heard. Sturdy and strong, with a mind made of steel, and I think that [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] helps to add a hint of sweetness and sunshine to this combo. All in all, a perfectly balanced contrast between the two!

I’d say my top three are probably [name_f]Olympias[/name_f] [name_f]Petra[/name_f] [name_f]Maeve[/name_f], [name_f]Petra[/name_f] [name_f]Apolline[/name_f] [name_f]Joy[/name_f], and [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] :slight_smile:

1 Like

I love [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] [name_f]Marigold[/name_f]. The goddess association is beyond cool but there’s also the incredibly brave [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] Mirabal. (And actually because of the similar rhythm, I might have assumed the name was after her. I’m not sure how well known she is.)

Mina is a lovely nickname.

And I definitely associate [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] with you – I remember seeing it in your signature when you were pregnant with H. (username change :grin:)

I want to say it’s less honor heavy than some of your others.

My favorite is still [name_f]Olympias[/name_f], but I’m tied between [name_f]Perpetua[/name_f] [name_u]Jule[/name_u] and [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] [name_f]Marigold[/name_f].

1 Like

Omg, to me, Minerva [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] is a 10/10.

I think [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] would be awesome with H. and A. names. All three of them long and classic (in a old latin/greek way I mean), and with a short, spunky nickname option. I really love [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] as a name, not only because growing up I admired [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] McGonagall, but also because I do love the meaning and the goddess association. Plus, somehow this name (to me) represents both intelligence/smartness and bravery and those are attributes I’d like for my own daughter.

I know a [name_f]Minerva[/name_f]. She was my uni classmate, and the name suits her pretty nicely. At first it might sounds a bit out-of-there but inmediately you get used to it. And, to me, [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] has the same slightly melancholic/romantic vibe as [name_f]Chrysanthemum[/name_f].

I cannot say a bad word about [name_f]Marigold[/name_f]. It’s a very special name to me as I associate it with my granny. I have [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] as middle name for [name_f]Jane[/name_f], [name_u]Antonia[/name_u] and [name_f]Alice[/name_f].

I do like the double M in this name.

So,by now, my top 3 would be:

• Minerva [name_f]Marigold[/name_f]
  • Petra [name_f]Apolline[/name_f] [name_f]Joy[/name_f]
  • Olympias [name_f]Petra[/name_f] [name_f]Maeve[/name_f]

And special mention to both [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f] and [name_f]Octavia[/name_f].

2 Likes

I planned to keep up with this thread but I didn’t really find the time to comment every week. However, I do read all of you descriptions of the names. It’s amazing to read how in dept your considerations are!

Right now [name_f]Olympias[/name_f] [name_f]Petra[/name_f] [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] is my favourite for you! [name_f]Olympias[/name_f] feel like a pefect fit with H and A and I love the moon cycle connection. I really like [name_f]Petra[/name_f] and I think the imagery of [name_f]Petra[/name_f] complements that of [name_f]Olympias[/name_f]. I enjoy [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] as a second middle here, although I’ve to admit that for me the real magic is in [name_f]Olympias[/name_f] [name_f]Petra[/name_f].

2 Likes

Minerva [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] feels like a different style for you, closer to your style from a few years ago. It makes me think of an overgrown [name_f]English[/name_f] garden. The rhythm is great, something I also enjoyed about [name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f] [name_f]Marigold[/name_f]. However, this combination is missing the crispness of the ‘t’ and comes out sounding more nasal than I would like. The meanings you have listed all feel equally nice, but there isn’t any one meaning that feels exceptional. I do adore how you have described the name as “sunny flower of the mind.” Given other options, I just can’t see this name near the top of your list.

I want say some things about [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] as ‘the one that got away.’ I believe this feeling is probably linked to the nostalgia this name carries for you. It being one of the first girl names you both felt strongly about, and it being the back up option for your first daughter. Those are long lasting, positive associations. It’s almost as if you’ve already written the narrative that if your chosen name doesn’t work out, it should’ve been [name_f]Minerva[/name_f]. It sounds like part of the motivation for [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] is protective, to avoid a negative outcome as opposed a pure pursuit of a positive outcome. I may be reading into too much, but there you go.

2 Likes