Baby Bao Bucket's Name of the Week

In the interest of not taking up the Girls’ name board and in keeping my thoughts more contained instead of strewn amongst a thousand topics (hey, work in progress, right), I’m going to try to keep this saga contained to this topic thread only. If you’re interested, please “watch,” bookmark, or “track” this topic and come back. If not… please never click it again. :grin:

[name_f]Every[/name_f] week, I’m going to post about one of my top girl combos for our number 3. I’ll go into detail about what I love about it. Why I’m considering it. What is wrong with it. Please give me as many thoughts about them as you have in your brain, compare the names with others in this topic (once we get going, I’m sure that’ll get easier). I’m sure I’ll wind up quoting myself here, so please excuse all the ego that goes into that. There are just many commonalities in theme as my top 24 names are basically a regurgitation of the same 20 names in different combination.

I’m hoping that the immersive element of sitting with a single combo for a more extended time will help me see more clearly which name rises to the top. @kachenka helped me come up with this idea for the thread. Thank you!

Berries, you are the best! I love that many of your obsessions run deep enough to indulge me and give me the feedback I crave that I’m sure will help illuminate and inform my own intuition in this endeavor to name my last little baby. By the time we are finished with my top 24, here’s to hoping I’m pregnant…

18 Likes

Week 1
[name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f] [name_f]Marigold[/name_f]

Rosmerta

[name_f]Goddess[/name_f] of abundance, “the Great Provider,” feels very fitting for a child coming in to complete a family. She was considered very powerful in her own right, associated with abundance derived from the land, which equate in turn financial prosperity (she is commonly associated with the butter churner and cornucopia). In the [name_m]Roman[/name_m] sense, she was called Rosmerta [name_f]Felicitas[/name_f], a nice subtle connection to H’s middle name.

Often when I look at goddess names, I’m left wondering how appropriative it is to consider them. I have no idea what my ancestors beyond a few generations would have believed. But [name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f] was a popular goddess in all of Gaul and parts of [name_m]Britain[/name_m], and to a lesser extent accepted by the Celts. So SOMEBODY in my family tree must’ve been praying to [name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f]… That right there encompasses all of my ancestry (I’m [name_f]English[/name_f], Scottish, Irish, [name_u]Saxon[/name_u] ([name_m]German[/name_m]), Swiss and [name_u]French[/name_u]), and 50% of my biological childrens’ (the other half being Chinese).

I’m well aware that many others don’t like the sound of [name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f], but I like the sounds. They are clunky cool to me. I think it really fits well with my boys’ names.

The biggest problem is that my husband isn’t a huge fan. He likes the name OK, but isn’t in love with it. I do want him to really love what we choose.

Marigold

Marigolds are beautiful. One of the flowers I can actually manage to grow reliably. They are sunny and cheerful.

I like the [name_m]Winston[/name_m] [name_m]Churchill[/name_m] connection (See The Crown [name_f]Season[/name_f] 1 for more information and a poignant representation).

No name can replicate the pure magic of [name_f]Chrysanthemum[/name_f] to me, but I like the idea that where H might have been [name_f]Chrysanthemum[/name_f], this babe might be [name_f]Marigold[/name_f], and that both flowers retain many similar qualities.

Lastly, I have no Mexican heritage whatsoever, but marigolds do REMIND me of the cempazuchitl of [name_f]Dia[/name_f] de los muertos. As @jonquils has pointed out before, H0rat1o sees [name_m]Hamlet[/name_m]'s ghost, An@$ta$io is about resurrection from death, so part of me does want some sort of underworldly death-defying connection with my third’s name, but that’s just a bonus and not a necessity.

The only problem I have with [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] is that at times it does pale in comparison to some of my bolder choices. But I do love it so and feel her strengths mostly outweigh the sometimes perception of weakness.

Rosmerta Marigold

RosmerTA [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] includes the TAM component I’m hoping for. Though it is very subtle, I think my MIL would be touched.

Together, this combo hearkens my matrilineal mitochondrial side. The furthest back I have gotten on my maternal line is my 5th great-grandmother, [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_m]Harvey[/name_m]. Here is my maternal line:

5thGG [name_f]Mary[/name_f]
4th GG [name_f]Mary[/name_f]
3rd GG [name_f]Rosanna[/name_f]
2nd GG [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] “[name_u]Jule[/name_u]”
GG [name_f]Helen[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f]
G [name_f]Margot[/name_f]

[name_f]Marigold[/name_f] for [name_f]Mary[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f] for [name_f]Rosanna[/name_f]
[name_f]Marigold[/name_f] for [name_f]Margot[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f] for [name_f]Helen[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f]

Yes, I have considered [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] to achieve the same end, but [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] never feels ME enough.

[name_f]Genevieve[/name_f], the ancestor I would probably most want to honor individually, is not included here, nor my mother. But otherwise, that’s my whole matrilineal heritage, and together they both feel very much full of honor for that side.

I am the only child of the only daughter of the only daughter of the only daughter of [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] (one of 8 daughters). So if I have a daughter, and she would be the only one… she is getting this lineage. If I don’t, then my female line is dead and you have to go pretty far up the tree to find the common threads for [name_f]Rosanna[/name_f] and [name_f]Mary[/name_f].

I like the flow of [name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f] [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] a lot. I like the flow of [name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f] K__g. But I do sometimes question the g in [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] with the K and g (even though the final g is so soft).

K love the way it looks written down. So solid.

That’s what I can think of now… I’ll come back later if I have more thoughts, but I’d love to hear yours either way!

19 Likes

I think [name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f] [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] is a wonderful name! Beyond everything you have written in terms of the significance to you and your family, I would imagine a child with this name to be strong, kind, intelligent and driven. I also think the name ages well and has many lovely nickname options.

I agree that [name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f] is “clunky cool” and love how the more dainty and girly [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] balances it out

4 Likes

The reasons why you like [name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f] are beautiful, and I love the way you’re thinking of honouring multiple generations of women in your family.

Also,

I’ve felt similar things and have definitely seen others express similar sentiments. When you dedicate a lot of time to researching and collecting names, it almost feels like you maybe should go for the ones that are rarer/bolder/unexpected. But then there’s names that just feel like the right name for your child, regardless of how it compares to other “more exciting” choices you have.

3 Likes

Rosmerta [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] feels so meaningful and lovely! It fits in with H and A’s name and just feels right

2 Likes

It’s so beautiful! I can’t even imagine how gorgeous your other options are!

1 Like

I’ve done it for you! Now I will have these thoughts for later. :kissing_heart:

:sparkling_heart:

4 Likes

Ashamed to say I had no idea [name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f] was a goddess. The name makes me think of [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] first. I love the goddess connection though!

I do actually like it. I love most [name_f]Rose[/name_f]- names and [name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f] feels familiar but obviously much more uncommon. I like the clunky old-fashioned sound.

When I first glanced at [name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f] [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] together I read it as rose gold. That’s an added bonus to me. The name feels warm and sweet but also makes me think of all things autumn.

6 Likes

I really do love [name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f] for you.

I think this is a smart idea, sit with a single name for awhile and marinate.

2 Likes

Oo, I adore [name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f] [name_f]Marigold[/name_f]! It is so floral and classic and just lovely sounding!

2 Likes

Thank you! I agree with the impression of these qualities and yes. It is a very flexible first name.

Absolutely! I do often feel like it has to be bold because who else is going to use all the awesome bold names?

I think this is likely the case for many, actually. I have so little familiarity with the goddesses apart from the main mythologies. Gaul doesn’t usually make the cut, I don’t think. It does make me wonder what the impression of the name would be. Obviously if you know your [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m], you know the name, but many people don’t know [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] (or at least well enough to know such a side character). So, bereft of the mythology and the [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m], what impression is left to form?

2 Likes

I think if I had never heard the name before it would sound old fashioned and perhaps slightly remind me of [name_f]Roberta[/name_f]. I like many old fashioned names though so I don’t consider that a bad thing at all.

1 Like

Also I have never noticed this before!! Totally novel insight, thank you! [name_f]Rose[/name_f] gold is sweet.

Here is [name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f], marinating. I’m ready for your names, too… very excited for your next endeavor.

2 Likes

But then it also reminds me of [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f] a lot. So if I had never seen it I might think of [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f] too.

1 Like

Rosemerta has always been my favorite for you! (As well as [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f])

1 Like

I love the sound, flow, and look of [name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f] [name_f]Marigold[/name_f]! The names balance each other perfectly and go well with your other children’s names.

2 Likes

I really love Rosemerta. I havent heard that name before ( but I dont like it with marigold) sorry are we allowed to be honest? I think because the two names really compete against each other and don’t seem to have the best flow. [name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f] makes me think of the church for some reason, I love the nickname [name_f]Rose[/name_f].

1 Like

[name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f] and [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f] would also make amazing sisters.

Absolutely. I want all types of feedback. I can see how they could “compete” against each other as they both have 3 syllables, 8 letters, and the myrrh/mare sounds brushing up against one another.

3 Likes

I think independently they are two beautiful names but I dont think they work together.
I actually think they could be adapted.
For instance, [name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f] [name_m]Gold[/name_m]. I think that sounds like a princess.
[name_f]Marigold[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f].
But we like what we like right?. They were just my initial impressions.

2 Likes

I sort of like this combination, but it’s definitely not my favorite name you’ve considered so far. Each name is lovely in its own right, and I like the family history connection, but I can’t get past the competing floral elements. The [name_f]Rose[/name_f] in [name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f] clashes against [name_f]Marigold[/name_f]. I loooove floral names (I have a floral name!) but I feel strongly that two flower names in one combination is cheesy.

Also, as warm and inviting as [name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f] [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] is, it doesn’t feel like you. I don’t see her sitting comfortably next to her brothers’ names, and I miss the spiky T sounds of your other combinations.

1 Like