Minerva's French nickname

I’m not exactly sure if you want a [name_u]French[/name_u] nn or one that will just sound good in both languages

[name_f]Vera[/name_f]
[name_f]Mina[/name_f]
[name_f]Minnie[/name_f]
[name_f]May[/name_f]/[name_f]Mae[/name_f]
[name_f]Neva[/name_f]/[name_f]Neve[/name_f]
[name_f]Neri[/name_f]
[name_f]Eva[/name_f]

1 Like

I think [name_f]Mina[/name_f] would be perfect, it’s intuitive to [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] and it sounds great in [name_u]French[/name_u]. [name_f]Vera[/name_f] would be a close second for me though, it’s also lovely

2 Likes

Oooh perhaps [name_f]Minuet[/name_f]/Minuette??

1 Like

[name_f]Minnette[/name_f] would be cute!!

[name_f]Minerva[/name_f]…

[name_f]Minnie[/name_f]
Nevvie
[name_f]Evie[/name_f]
[name_f]Mina[/name_f]
[name_f]Minna[/name_f]
[name_f]Manon[/name_f]
[name_u]Mirren[/name_u]
[name_f]Mim[/name_f]
Mimsy
[name_f]Nim[/name_f]

1 Like

If you’ll be using [name_u]French[/name_u] half the time, I’m really not sure [name_f]Minerva[/name_f]/[name_f]Minerve[/name_f] works :cry:

[name_f]Mina[/name_f] is nice for short, as suggested above. Definitely not Minou or Minouche… Hmm… maybe [name_f]Ninon[/name_f]? :thinking:

As for nicknames, [name_f]Mina[/name_f] and [name_f]Mignonette[/name_f] could work? And I’ve come across [name_f]Mimi[/name_f] in [name_u]French[/name_u]-speaking communities before. [name_f]Mira[/name_f] could also maybe work?

Full names are a bit trickier;

[name_f]Pomeline[/name_f]
[name_f]Aurelia[/name_f]/[name_f]Aurelie[/name_f]
[name_f]Cosette[/name_f]
[name_f]Delphine[/name_f]
[name_f]Odette[/name_f]
[name_f]Emeraude[/name_f]
[name_f]Felicienne[/name_f]
[name_f]Eponine[/name_f]
Eupheme
[name_f]Alouette[/name_f]
[name_f]Albertine[/name_f]
[name_f]Apolline[/name_f]
[name_f]Capucine[/name_f]
[name_f]Clemence[/name_f]
[name_f]Eulalie[/name_f]
[name_f]Helaine[/name_f]
[name_f]Ismerie[/name_f]
[name_f]Hyacinthe[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucette[/name_f]
[name_f]Marjolaine[/name_f]
[name_f]Iolanthe[/name_f]
[name_f]Jonquille[/name_f]
[name_f]Leontine[/name_f]
[name_f]Josette[/name_f]
[name_f]Leopoldine[/name_f]
[name_f]Marceline[/name_f]
[name_f]Melisande[/name_f]
[name_f]Olivette[/name_f]
[name_f]Raphaelle[/name_f]
[name_f]Seraphine[/name_f]
[name_f]Severine[/name_f]
[name_f]Yolande[/name_f]
[name_f]Violette[/name_f]
[name_f]Viridienne[/name_f]
[name_f]Zenobie[/name_f]

I’d go with Ѐve. It’s a bit of a longshot, but it’s simple and pretty.

1 Like

I think it’s so cool how you speak [name_u]French[/name_u] and Japanese at home!

Miné (probably doesn’t work because of its meaning, but maybe?)
Inette
[name_f]Erva[/name_f]
Iné
[name_f]Minnie[/name_f]
[name_f]Mina[/name_f]

I do think [name_f]Nanette[/name_f] works though!

[name_f]Minnie[/name_f] and [name_f]Minette[/name_f] seem the most intuitive.
I could also see [name_f]Manon[/name_f] or [name_f]Yvette[/name_f] working nicely.

I would call her [name_f]Minnie[/name_f]. I would name my kid [name_f]Minnie[/name_f] if I wouldn’t get vetoed lol.

I love the suggestion of Ѐve! It is a bit… short and simple compared to your boy’s names, so if you’re not calling them by nicknames, it doesn’t seem to fit very well. I’d go with a different name if you see the same problem, which goes for really any nickname.

1 Like

[name_u]French[/name_u] or not, full name or nickname, as long as it sounds better in [name_u]French[/name_u]! Thanks for your suggestions.

This prospect is so disheartening. I thought, for instance, that I would hate H’s name in [name_u]French[/name_u] but it grew on me big time. Now I love it in [name_f]English[/name_f] AND in [name_u]French[/name_u] (in Japanese we call him Re1sh1, like the mushroom, different characters, via the two middle syllables). A we are calling both by his full name and An@st@s(e) in [name_u]French[/name_u]. H has a [name_u]French[/name_u] picture book with a minor character called that so when we told him what his brother would be called in [name_u]French[/name_u] he pulled out the book and turned to the page where he’s introduced and said in [name_u]French[/name_u], “Like this one, An@st@s.”

It would be so sad to me not to use such an amazing name that we love in [name_f]English[/name_f] solely because I don’t like it in [name_u]French[/name_u]. After all, we live in an [name_f]English[/name_f] speaking community and plan to, so her forward facing name to the rest of the community is of so much importance, but my personal taste and preferences are also a huge part.

Minou, yeah, I get and planned to steer clear. Minouche is not my favorite option ever, but I don’t see too much of a problem (more like [name_f]Kitty[/name_f] as a name than Puss in my book, but as a non-native speaker I can’t purport to truly understand the nuances and double-entendres). Tell me what you think.

To everyone, thanks for all the suggestions! The hivemind definitely works for getting more suggestions than I know what to do with. Of those mentioned here, I love [name_f]Minna[/name_f], [name_f]Mina[/name_f], [name_f]Nim[/name_f], and [name_f]Minnie[/name_f] (these are the nicknames I think just generally regardless of language and have included in previous posts about [name_f]Minerva[/name_f]).

[name_f]Minette[/name_f]/[name_f]Minnette[/name_f], [name_f]Manon[/name_f], [name_f]Ninon[/name_f], and [name_f]Yvette[/name_f] I have also thought of myself. [name_f]Minette[/name_f]/[name_f]Minnette[/name_f] is really the only one that sounds super intuitive, so the others have that drawback, but I agree they could work.

I hadn’t really thought of [name_f]Mimi[/name_f] or Mimsy. I love both options, though they might be a little too saccharine.

I actually really like the thought of Miné/Minée. That would be the pronunciation we would likely use in Japanese (みね), so it would seamlessly translate. I’ll think and ask friends whether it could be easily extracted (pun intended) from the meaning or whether it would seem strange.

And I should have thought of Ève! I’ve definitely considered it for Geneviève, which I have paired with [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] before. Part of this post is about seeing whether I feel I would need to use a combo like [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] Geneviève in order to cross languages well ([name_f]Minerva[/name_f] I love in [name_f]English[/name_f], don’t love in [name_u]French[/name_u]; [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] I don’t love in [name_f]English[/name_f], but love in [name_u]French[/name_u]). But it is nice to consider Ève might be used for just [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] and that I might be able to pair it with something less [name_u]French[/name_u] if I knew what I’d call her otherwise.

Additional ideas I’ve had are:
[name_f]Mauve[/name_f]
Merveille
[name_f]Mireille[/name_f]
Myrtille
Maurille
Myrette
[name_f]Ermine[/name_f]
[name_f]Viviane[/name_f]
Vianney
Vernadette
Mimose (another name I only like in [name_u]French[/name_u])
Minel
So if you happen to want to offer some thoughts on those, let me know!

@leafsgirl44, [name_u]Haley[/name_u], I like many from your list for full name substitutions. [name_f]My[/name_f] favs:

Great ideas, all. I wish I just LOVED one of them. I will be so sad if this is the dealbreaker for [name_f]Minerva[/name_f]. :pensive:

1 Like

[name_f]Mignonette[/name_f] from @leafsgirl44 made me think of [name_f]Mignon[/name_f]. [name_m]Reading[/name_m] the name page it looks like it’s not really [name_u]French[/name_u], but might sound OK? I also like [name_f]Mina[/name_f].

1 Like

[name_f]Mimi[/name_f] and [name_f]Mina[/name_f] came to mind first. I’m not a [name_u]French[/name_u] speaker so I’m not sure how nicknames are formed in [name_u]French[/name_u].

If [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] is unworkable in [name_u]French[/name_u], then perhaps [name_u]Marie[/name_u]-Ève/Mariève, [name_f]Hermine[/name_f] or [name_u]Marie[/name_u]-[name_f]Hermine[/name_f] could be used as a [name_u]French[/name_u] “equivalent”. I really like Mélisande too.

2 Likes

I like [name_f]Mina[/name_f], Miné/Minée, [name_f]Mimi[/name_f], and Ève and I think they work very well! [name_f]My[/name_f] suggestion was going to be [name_f]Minette[/name_f]. I love [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] Geneviève <3
I like [name_f]Mauve[/name_f], [name_f]Mirielle[/name_f], Myrette, and Minel of your new suggestions though I find the ones above more intuitive.

1 Like

In my experience, it’s used in a similar way, albeit not as commonly. I’m a fluent [name_u]French[/name_u] speaker but non-native, like you. However, we do have close [name_u]French[/name_u]-speaking relatives.

I do like [name_f]Mauve[/name_f] and Minel from your additional ideas, and think both could work. Minée is also quite sweet. Maybe also [name_f]Minka[/name_f]?

Being honest, the language barrier with this one would probably be a dealbreaker for me personally. BUT I can tell you really love this name and it sounds like you’re more than used to/accepting of using different variants and nicknames across different languages. Would this be The One, if it weren’t for the language block?

2 Likes

[name_f]Minka[/name_f] is so cute!

[name_f]Minka[/name_f] is so sweet! A fresh idea worthy of consideration, certainly.

I do believe she would be the frontrunner by a longshot were it not for this issue. It is nearly the only concern I have.

1 Like

Minou and [name_f]Minette[/name_f] are my favorites! I think [name_f]Nadette[/name_f] could also work.

I do still have a question. What makes it that you don’t like [name_f]Minerva[/name_f]/[name_f]Minerve[/name_f] in [name_u]French[/name_u]? The pronunciation is not so different is it? Only the [name_u]French[/name_u] r. But correct me if I’m wrong!

The sound is not nearly as pretty, yes. But that alone I could easily live with.

It is the proximity to the expression, ça m’énerve. That basically means “it’s getting on my nerves/it’s annoying the … out of me/that really bothers me/it makes me lose my temper.” I’m pretty sure that’s the reason [name_f]Minerve[/name_f] is basically entirely unheard/unused in [name_f]France[/name_f], and what tiny speck of use there is is only in the overseas departments. It is super unfortunate!

1 Like