Minerva's French nickname

[name_f]My[/name_f] least favorite thing about the absolutely amazing name [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] is how it sounds in [name_u]French[/name_u]. [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] is a top contender if our last is to be a girl.

I speak [name_u]French[/name_u] and Japanese (only) at home with my kids (but we live in an [name_f]English[/name_f]-speaking environment and are native [name_f]English[/name_f] speakers), so having good nicknames for our kiddos across languages is important. I cannot imagine calling her [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] or [name_f]Minerve[/name_f] in [name_u]French[/name_u], which I would be using half the time.

I recently polled about using ā€œ[name_f]Nanette[/name_f]ā€ as a potential nickname for [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] and the consensus definitely appears to be that it doesnā€™t work [granted, I did not give the context Iā€™m giving now]. So, what are some nicknames/names that would? Hit me with your best names that sound awesome in [name_u]French[/name_u] and draw on [name_f]Minerva[/name_f]. I have a couple ideas Iā€™m on the fence about but Iā€™ll sit back and see if they come up for others.

TIA, Berries! :kiss:

Iā€™m not exactly sure if you want a [name_u]French[/name_u] nn or one that will just sound good in both languages

[name_f]Vera[/name_f]
[name_f]Mina[/name_f]
[name_f]Minnie[/name_f]
[name_f]May[/name_f]/[name_f]Mae[/name_f]
[name_f]Neva[/name_f]/[name_f]Neve[/name_f]
[name_f]Neri[/name_f]
[name_f]Eva[/name_f]

1 Like

I think [name_f]Mina[/name_f] would be perfect, itā€™s intuitive to [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] and it sounds great in [name_u]French[/name_u]. [name_f]Vera[/name_f] would be a close second for me though, itā€™s also lovely

2 Likes

Oooh perhaps [name_f]Minuet[/name_f]/Minuette??

1 Like

[name_f]Minnette[/name_f] would be cute!!

[name_f]Minerva[/name_f]ā€¦

[name_f]Minnie[/name_f]
Nevvie
[name_f]Evie[/name_f]
[name_f]Mina[/name_f]
[name_f]Minna[/name_f]
[name_f]Manon[/name_f]
[name_u]Mirren[/name_u]
[name_f]Mim[/name_f]
Mimsy
[name_f]Nim[/name_f]

1 Like

If youā€™ll be using [name_u]French[/name_u] half the time, Iā€™m really not sure [name_f]Minerva[/name_f]/[name_f]Minerve[/name_f] works :cry:

[name_f]Mina[/name_f] is nice for short, as suggested above. Definitely not Minou or Minoucheā€¦ Hmmā€¦ maybe [name_f]Ninon[/name_f]? :thinking:

As for nicknames, [name_f]Mina[/name_f] and [name_f]Mignonette[/name_f] could work? And Iā€™ve come across [name_f]Mimi[/name_f] in [name_u]French[/name_u]-speaking communities before. [name_f]Mira[/name_f] could also maybe work?

Full names are a bit trickier;

[name_f]Pomeline[/name_f]
[name_f]Aurelia[/name_f]/[name_f]Aurelie[/name_f]
[name_f]Cosette[/name_f]
[name_f]Delphine[/name_f]
[name_f]Odette[/name_f]
[name_f]Emeraude[/name_f]
[name_f]Felicienne[/name_f]
[name_f]Eponine[/name_f]
Eupheme
[name_f]Alouette[/name_f]
[name_f]Albertine[/name_f]
[name_f]Apolline[/name_f]
[name_f]Capucine[/name_f]
[name_f]Clemence[/name_f]
[name_f]Eulalie[/name_f]
[name_f]Helaine[/name_f]
[name_f]Ismerie[/name_f]
[name_f]Hyacinthe[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucette[/name_f]
[name_f]Marjolaine[/name_f]
[name_f]Iolanthe[/name_f]
[name_f]Jonquille[/name_f]
[name_f]Leontine[/name_f]
[name_f]Josette[/name_f]
[name_f]Leopoldine[/name_f]
[name_f]Marceline[/name_f]
[name_f]Melisande[/name_f]
[name_f]Olivette[/name_f]
[name_f]Raphaelle[/name_f]
[name_f]Seraphine[/name_f]
[name_f]Severine[/name_f]
[name_f]Yolande[/name_f]
[name_f]Violette[/name_f]
[name_f]Viridienne[/name_f]
[name_f]Zenobie[/name_f]

Iā€™d go with Š€ve. Itā€™s a bit of a longshot, but itā€™s simple and pretty.

1 Like

I think itā€™s so cool how you speak [name_u]French[/name_u] and Japanese at home!

MinĆ© (probably doesnā€™t work because of its meaning, but maybe?)
Inette
[name_f]Erva[/name_f]
InƩ
[name_f]Minnie[/name_f]
[name_f]Mina[/name_f]

I do think [name_f]Nanette[/name_f] works though!

[name_f]Minnie[/name_f] and [name_f]Minette[/name_f] seem the most intuitive.
I could also see [name_f]Manon[/name_f] or [name_f]Yvette[/name_f] working nicely.

I would call her [name_f]Minnie[/name_f]. I would name my kid [name_f]Minnie[/name_f] if I wouldnā€™t get vetoed lol.

I love the suggestion of Š€ve! It is a bitā€¦ short and simple compared to your boyā€™s names, so if youā€™re not calling them by nicknames, it doesnā€™t seem to fit very well. Iā€™d go with a different name if you see the same problem, which goes for really any nickname.

1 Like

[name_u]French[/name_u] or not, full name or nickname, as long as it sounds better in [name_u]French[/name_u]! Thanks for your suggestions.

This prospect is so disheartening. I thought, for instance, that I would hate Hā€™s name in [name_u]French[/name_u] but it grew on me big time. Now I love it in [name_f]English[/name_f] AND in [name_u]French[/name_u] (in Japanese we call him Re1sh1, like the mushroom, different characters, via the two middle syllables). A we are calling both by his full name and An@st@s(e) in [name_u]French[/name_u]. H has a [name_u]French[/name_u] picture book with a minor character called that so when we told him what his brother would be called in [name_u]French[/name_u] he pulled out the book and turned to the page where heā€™s introduced and said in [name_u]French[/name_u], ā€œLike this one, An@st@s.ā€

It would be so sad to me not to use such an amazing name that we love in [name_f]English[/name_f] solely because I donā€™t like it in [name_u]French[/name_u]. After all, we live in an [name_f]English[/name_f] speaking community and plan to, so her forward facing name to the rest of the community is of so much importance, but my personal taste and preferences are also a huge part.

Minou, yeah, I get and planned to steer clear. Minouche is not my favorite option ever, but I donā€™t see too much of a problem (more like [name_f]Kitty[/name_f] as a name than Puss in my book, but as a non-native speaker I canā€™t purport to truly understand the nuances and double-entendres). Tell me what you think.

To everyone, thanks for all the suggestions! The hivemind definitely works for getting more suggestions than I know what to do with. Of those mentioned here, I love [name_f]Minna[/name_f], [name_f]Mina[/name_f], [name_f]Nim[/name_f], and [name_f]Minnie[/name_f] (these are the nicknames I think just generally regardless of language and have included in previous posts about [name_f]Minerva[/name_f]).

[name_f]Minette[/name_f]/[name_f]Minnette[/name_f], [name_f]Manon[/name_f], [name_f]Ninon[/name_f], and [name_f]Yvette[/name_f] I have also thought of myself. [name_f]Minette[/name_f]/[name_f]Minnette[/name_f] is really the only one that sounds super intuitive, so the others have that drawback, but I agree they could work.

I hadnā€™t really thought of [name_f]Mimi[/name_f] or Mimsy. I love both options, though they might be a little too saccharine.

I actually really like the thought of MinĆ©/MinĆ©e. That would be the pronunciation we would likely use in Japanese (ćæ恭), so it would seamlessly translate. Iā€™ll think and ask friends whether it could be easily extracted (pun intended) from the meaning or whether it would seem strange.

And I should have thought of ƈve! Iā€™ve definitely considered it for GeneviĆØve, which I have paired with [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] before. Part of this post is about seeing whether I feel I would need to use a combo like [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] GeneviĆØve in order to cross languages well ([name_f]Minerva[/name_f] I love in [name_f]English[/name_f], donā€™t love in [name_u]French[/name_u]; [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] I donā€™t love in [name_f]English[/name_f], but love in [name_u]French[/name_u]). But it is nice to consider ƈve might be used for just [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] and that I might be able to pair it with something less [name_u]French[/name_u] if I knew what Iā€™d call her otherwise.

Additional ideas Iā€™ve had are:
[name_f]Mauve[/name_f]
Merveille
[name_f]Mireille[/name_f]
Myrtille
Maurille
Myrette
[name_f]Ermine[/name_f]
[name_f]Viviane[/name_f]
Vianney
Vernadette
Mimose (another name I only like in [name_u]French[/name_u])
Minel
So if you happen to want to offer some thoughts on those, let me know!

@leafsgirl44, [name_u]Haley[/name_u], I like many from your list for full name substitutions. [name_f]My[/name_f] favs:

Great ideas, all. I wish I just LOVED one of them. I will be so sad if this is the dealbreaker for [name_f]Minerva[/name_f]. :pensive:

1 Like

[name_f]Mignonette[/name_f] from @leafsgirl44 made me think of [name_f]Mignon[/name_f]. [name_m]Reading[/name_m] the name page it looks like itā€™s not really [name_u]French[/name_u], but might sound OK? I also like [name_f]Mina[/name_f].

1 Like

[name_f]Mimi[/name_f] and [name_f]Mina[/name_f] came to mind first. Iā€™m not a [name_u]French[/name_u] speaker so Iā€™m not sure how nicknames are formed in [name_u]French[/name_u].

If [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] is unworkable in [name_u]French[/name_u], then perhaps [name_u]Marie[/name_u]-ƈve/MariĆØve, [name_f]Hermine[/name_f] or [name_u]Marie[/name_u]-[name_f]Hermine[/name_f] could be used as a [name_u]French[/name_u] ā€œequivalentā€. I really like MĆ©lisande too.

2 Likes

I like [name_f]Mina[/name_f], MinĆ©/MinĆ©e, [name_f]Mimi[/name_f], and ƈve and I think they work very well! [name_f]My[/name_f] suggestion was going to be [name_f]Minette[/name_f]. I love [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] GeneviĆØve <3
I like [name_f]Mauve[/name_f], [name_f]Mirielle[/name_f], Myrette, and Minel of your new suggestions though I find the ones above more intuitive.

1 Like

In my experience, itā€™s used in a similar way, albeit not as commonly. Iā€™m a fluent [name_u]French[/name_u] speaker but non-native, like you. However, we do have close [name_u]French[/name_u]-speaking relatives.

I do like [name_f]Mauve[/name_f] and Minel from your additional ideas, and think both could work. MinƩe is also quite sweet. Maybe also [name_f]Minka[/name_f]?

Being honest, the language barrier with this one would probably be a dealbreaker for me personally. BUT I can tell you really love this name and it sounds like youā€™re more than used to/accepting of using different variants and nicknames across different languages. Would this be The One, if it werenā€™t for the language block?

2 Likes

[name_f]Minka[/name_f] is so cute!

[name_f]Minka[/name_f] is so sweet! A fresh idea worthy of consideration, certainly.

I do believe she would be the frontrunner by a longshot were it not for this issue. It is nearly the only concern I have.

1 Like

Minou and [name_f]Minette[/name_f] are my favorites! I think [name_f]Nadette[/name_f] could also work.

I do still have a question. What makes it that you donā€™t like [name_f]Minerva[/name_f]/[name_f]Minerve[/name_f] in [name_u]French[/name_u]? The pronunciation is not so different is it? Only the [name_u]French[/name_u] r. But correct me if Iā€™m wrong!