Baby Bao Bucket's Name of the Week

Thanks! I’m glad you like it, too!

1 Like

Wow, [name_f]Petra[/name_f] [name_f]Olympias[/name_f] [name_f]Liadan[/name_f] is such a stunning combo! It’s one of my favorites. [name_f]Petra[/name_f] and [name_f]Liadan[/name_f] are so pretty, and [name_f]Olympias[/name_f] has really grown on me recently :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Líadan is very beautiful! I hadn’t heard it before. I looked the story of [name_f]Liadain[/name_f] and Curithir up. This poetess fascinates me now! I also like that the pronouncation is relatively standard and I enjoy the sound of the Lía-part together with the dan-ending. This name is truly magical and intriguing.

I think the combination [name_f]Petra[/name_f] [name_f]Olympias[/name_f] Líadan is perfect! To me, it seems a strong, solid, firm name with also much friendlyness and flexibility in it. Therefore, your picture from The Runaway [name_f]Bunny[/name_f] fits very well in my opinion. Like you, I love the Ps and Ls in this combo. I also like the connections to the Pauls and Paulines (POL), to your mom (den) and to yourself: I think it’s very cool that all letters of your name are there, in the right order!

4 Likes

This combo has a beautiful flow. It wasn’t my favorite at first because of the repeated “ia” and the l and p/d just looked too similar to me. But the more I look at it the more I like it.
I think I prefer this combo to [name_f]Petra[/name_f] [name_f]Apolline[/name_f] [name_f]Joy[/name_f].

1 Like

I understand if you have to leave [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] behind! I love it and know two lovely adult Minervas who were the first Minervas other than themselves either had ever met.

1 Like

Loving the interlacing sounds in [name_f]Petra[/name_f] [name_f]Olympias[/name_f] [name_f]Liadan[/name_f] (my favorite way to achieve a nice “flow”)! And all those connections! This combo just stole a place among my top favorites for you.

Also, hope your nausea and fatigue fade soon!

2 Likes

Sorry to hear you’re feeling so rough :frowning: But on the plus side: I think this is a lovely combo!

[name_f]Petra[/name_f] is cool and sharp, and I think it makes an ingenious honour name for the [name_u]Roche[/name_u] side of the family. Not too convoluted at all.

[name_f]My[/name_f] only hesitation with it is that it’s shorter and more straightforward somehow than your boys’ names. It’s a real no-nonsense name to me, which I love about it, but I do wonder if it lacks some of the whimsy and extravagance of your boys’ names.

[name_f]Perpetua[/name_f] “[name_f]Petra[/name_f]” or even something like [name_f]Petronel[/name_f]/le/la “[name_f]Petra[/name_f]” would be a great way around this, but I’m really team [name_f]Olympias[/name_f] and I don’t know if that would feel like too much for one combo? I’m sure you could pull it off!

I really feel this too. [name_m]Reading[/name_m] your blurb on [name_f]Olympias[/name_f] last time, it really feels meant to be. I mentioned it before, but as well as all the significance, I love the subtle sound connections between this and your boys’ names. Honestly, I’m rooting for this in the first name slot but it would certainly make for an awesome middle too.

A very clever metal ox name, and one of my fave Irish names too. With Irish heritage to honour and a love of literature and legends, this feels like a great choice for you. I also like that it’s highly unusual, and a little bit mystical and magical, but also feels very grounded to round off a fairly long and elaborate combo.

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] you start to feel better very soon :green_heart:

5 Likes

I absolutely love Líadan! I’ve never heard it until now! I really like it’s flow with [name_f]Olympias[/name_f]!

My hang-up is still [name_f]Petra[/name_f]. It sounds fine in this combo, but I still find it lacking as a first. I still really like [name_f]Perpetua[/name_f] “[name_f]Petra[/name_f],” but [name_f]Perpetua[/name_f] as a first may make the combo overly long.

Also, sad to see that [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] might not make the cut.

A little iffy on the combo overall, but Líadan is definitely a winner for me!

1 Like

I’m very solidly in favor of [name_f]Petra[/name_f] as my first name of choice for a daughter of yours, and while I very much liked [name_f]Petra[/name_f] [name_f]Apolline[/name_f] [name_f]Joy[/name_f], [name_f]Petra[/name_f] [name_f]Olympias[/name_f] [name_f]Liadan[/name_f] is even better and also feels a bit more reflective of your general style. [name_f]Liadan[/name_f] is so beautiful, I’d never seen it before.

3 Likes

I’m relieved to hear your update. I’d noticed your absence and was wondering about you. Pleased to hear it’s the demands of family life and pregnancy and not something else. The squeaky babbling from A in the background gave me quite a laugh!

I’m thrilled to see this combination take an official place on your list. I don’t have many additional comments for Petra Olympias Líadan. I always enjoy entwining sounds when they are interspersed as they are here. I like the reversal of [name_f]Olympias[/name_f] for [name_f]Petra[/name_f] as it makes for a rather pleasing syllabic flow. More so, it leads you to the initials POL. This feels like the ideal way honour to the [name_m]Paul[/name_m] and Paulines in your family on balance with the other meanings and honours you want to prioritise. I love your idea of “polka dot” so I thought I’d go on a hunt for some more positive associations to POLK. I came across a lovely little song ‘Polka Dots and Moonbeams’ and the jazz singer [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Ann[/name_f] [name_m]Polk[/name_m].

I think this combination has a lot of hidden gems. From the letters of your first name to the nod to your mum. For the name of your final baby, I have to place this above [name_f]Petra[/name_f] [name_f]Apolline[/name_f] [name_f]Joy[/name_f] as much as I love it. The right [name_f]Olympias[/name_f] combination would be hard to beat.

4 Likes

Back again after another two weeks. I’m feeling like I may be beginning to feel better (this week has been much better than the previous three or four, but I’m still not out of the woods… it could just be a clearing.

Definitely a fascinating persona! Also glad you liked my Runaway [name_f]Bunny[/name_f] illustration. I was thinking “Is this completely out of left field that the combo reminds me of this page?” :grin:

Agreed!

Aww, Polka Dots and Moonbeams is adorable! And so many cool versions and interpretations by old greats and the lyrics are so sweet for an ode to a sweet daughter. I had never heard of [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Ann[/name_f] [name_m]Polk[/name_m], either.

I’m encouraged that I may be getting quite close to the winner. So many of you prefer [name_f]Petra[/name_f] [name_f]Olympias[/name_f] Líadan to [name_f]Petra[/name_f] [name_f]Apolline[/name_f] [name_f]Joy[/name_f] who was such a favorite.

Be back soon!

11 Likes

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] [name_f]Lilian[/name_f]! :wave: I came in here to say that the name [name_f]Perpetua[/name_f] has really grown on me. I love it now! [name_f]Perpetua[/name_f] nn [name_f]Petra[/name_f] is such a great idea. [name_f]Perpetua[/name_f] [name_u]Jule[/name_u] sounds so royal and beautiful. I also just now realized how perfect [name_f]Perpetua[/name_f] and Hor@t!o sound together :heart_eyes: This might be my favorite option now! But I still love [name_f]Minerva[/name_f], [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f] and [name_f]Petra[/name_f]. Edit: Oh, and Rosmerta!

1 Like

So… I’m stuck. I’ve still been very sick and exhausted, which is also demotivating. But also nothing new is coming from my naming brain. The tops that I haven’t yet discussed here all seem to be redundant in certain respects. I just posted about my boys’ list because I need something productive to work on without feeling like I’m spinning my wheels without moving. I’m going to wait and see when the girls’ spirit comes back. Hoping it does… otherwise I may be headed for trouble, but for now I have time.

7 Likes

Hi! I was bored and looking through old posts when I stumbled on this thread. I just read it from top to bottom in one sitting. I felt like I just had to say that every single name combination here is incredible! I was having a hard day and reading this thread really cheered me up. I know there hasn’t been a post here for a while but I just wanted to say that everything here is amazing!!!

6 Likes

Wow! That is an achievement to read it all in one sitting! I’m glad it cheered you up. Keep a look out for more posts here soon. I’m going to be back more frequently until I get this name cracked (or at least have a solid top 5 for when baby is born to choose from if I can’t narrow it down completely).

7 Likes

This is exactly how this post wound up working. Clarity over time. Reading and re-reading this thread has actually been incredibly illuminating. I find that even just coming back to it when I have doubts always gets me that little bit closer to some kernel of truth.

I believe we have finally settled with our true top girl frontrunner. Yay!! I will not be revealing what we have decided, but we did change some things recently from our previous frontrunner after realizing that Mr. Bucket wasn’t super invested in our previous option despite loving each name for us individually.

However, the questions still remains… to 2nd middle or not to 2nd middle?

I love the name we have on its own. However, we still wonder. I think my husband is leaning toward yes 2nd middle, while I’m slightly inclined to leave it as 1 middle at this moment, though I go back and forth.

Without knowing the full combo, what would you add?

• No 2nd middle. What you’ve chosen is bound to be meaningful enough as-is and I’d really prefer that all 3 kids have just one middle
  • Minerva - all-time favorite name
  • Jule - Honor for Genevieve “Jule”
  • Líadan - explicitly calling forward the Irish ancestry in a way that hasn’t happened
  • Lucia - for Lucian, the brother of my childhood best friend who died [I’d likely pronounce it Loo-sha in this context]
0 voters
1 Like

Such a difficult choice! [name_f]My[/name_f] inclination is to say It’s your last baby (and only girl, if it is a girl), so go ahead and be lavish! I have a friend who used 2 middles for her last baby and has no regrets. They chose an unusual, elaborate first that had become their favorite, and then mom and dad each picked a favorite middle that the other had vetoed as a first. Some of their kids have one middle, some have two, and it doesn’t seem to be an issue.
I voted for both [name_u]Jule[/name_u] and [name_f]Minerva[/name_f]. If the combo is long, shorter [name_u]Jule[/name_u] might fit better, and it’s such a meaningful honor. If you’ve already packed the combo with honors and/or it’s shorter, you might go with your favorite [name_f]Minerva[/name_f].

1 Like

I voted for [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] and [name_f]Liadan[/name_f] because I love them so much as well :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: but I can also see no 2nd middle name being used.

1 Like

I was really torn between [name_f]Minerva[/name_f], as it’s your all time favourite, and I’d hate to see it go unused, and [name_f]Lucia[/name_f], because the connection is really sweet! I think over all though, I would love to see you use [name_f]Minerva[/name_f]!

1 Like

[name_f]Thisbe[/name_f] and [name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f] are my other favorites. I’ve sort of grown out of [name_f]Perpetua[/name_f], unfortunately. So I’m rooting for [name_f]Minerva[/name_f]! I love the way it sounds with your kids names :heart_eyes:

1 Like