Beautiful or embarassing?

I love history, and names with uplifting meanings. I also love names that children can grow into as an adult. However, I tend to be a wee bit over-analytical, and I don’t want to name my child something that will embarass them.

I am seriously considering naming my daughter [name]Gwyneth[/name] [name]Della[/name]. The nn for [name]Gwyneth[/name] would be [name]Winnie[/name] (after a great aunt on my father’s side who was a nurse at [name]Pearl[/name] [name]Harbor[/name] when it was attacked). [name]Della[/name] is also a family name - a great aunt on my mother’s side who came to Kansas in a covered wagon (I grew up in Kansas). I love how strong these women were, but history aside, do people like these names and do they sound good together? I’m also up for suggestions.

I think its a darling name!

[name]Love[/name] [name]Gwyneth[/name] [name]Della[/name]! But I do tend to love unusual names. Think about where you live - if you live in a cool suburb or a cool city, [name]Gwyneth[/name] will fit in just fine. There will probably be only one [name]Gwyneth[/name] though, and that will be your daughter. But if you live in a suburb or small city where all the little girls have names from the top twenty, beware. On the other hand, if you live in a state like [name]Utah[/name], any unusual names seem to go over just fine.
My husband used to hang out with a bunch of Mormon kids when he was young. The girls had names like [name]Cleone[/name], Ranelle, and [name]Muriel[/name].

I like [name]Gwyneth[/name] [name]Della[/name], I love the fact that it is so unusual, and I adore the nn [name]Winnie[/name]!
The stories behind the names are wonderful, too - I think any child would be delighted to be named after those women.

I think it’s beautiful, too!

If you’re not set on the combo, some other possiblities for honoring [name]Winnie[/name] and [name]Della[/name]:

[name]Winifred[/name]
[name]Delphine[/name]
[name]Delia[/name]
[name]Delilah[/name]
[name]Adelaide[/name]
[name]Adelia[/name]
[name]Adele[/name]
[name]Cordelia[/name] (contains [name]Del[/name])
[name]Gwendolyn[/name]

Best wishes to you! :slight_smile:

I [name]LOVE[/name] the name, beautiful. And, I am with you on all the meaning behind it, but I do think the nickname [name]Winnie[/name] might be embarrassing only because kids are so cruel.

I like the name, but I might go with [name]Gwen[/name] for a nn rather than [name]Winnie[/name], for the aforementioned kid cruelty reason.

I like [name]Gwyneth[/name] [name]Delia[/name]. I don’t like the nickname [name]Winnie[/name] though. It sounds really nerdy to me. Not in a hip way.

I love the nn [name]Winnie[/name], and I must be missing something… what is there to make fun of?

I think it’s a gorgeous name with great meaning and substance!
I must say I also don’t get what’s supposed to be tease-able about [name]Winnie[/name]?

[name]Winnie[/name] the Pooh

Depends on where you live. Where I live, nobody would call your daughter [name]Winnie[/name]-the-Pooh. But in places I used to live, they would call her that. I used to live twenty minutes away from where I live now. It is like a different planet over there.

I still don’t get the problem… doesn’t everyone love [name]Winnie[/name]-the-Pooh? I mean, that tease would be like calling a kid named [name]Dora[/name] [name]Dora[/name]-the-[name]Explorer[/name]… who cares?

i [name]LOVE[/name] the name [name]Della[/name]. It is a great underused name very much in line with what is current (ella, bella, stella, etc.) Plus the Gift of the [name]Magi[/name], a great story, has a [name]Della[/name] and [name]James[/name].

Its a very cute name. I accually kinda like it.I dont fully like the nn winnie for [name]Gweneth[/name]. It works.

[name]Gwyneth[/name] [name]Delphine[/name]
or
[name]Gwyneth[/name] [name]Delphina[/name]…depending on your last name.

Gwynnie as a nn?

Sometimes “winnie” refers to…well, someone’s gotta say it…flatulence. Therefore cause for a potential teasing.

I like [name]Gwyneth[/name] [name]Della[/name]; I don’t think the name would be be an issue with [name]Gwyneth[/name] Paltrow being a household name. Personally I don’t see a need for a full-on nn (other than an affectionate pet-name) with it only being two syllables.

I think that [name]Gwyneth[/name] [name]Della[/name] is so pretty. I also love the nn [name]Winnie[/name]. It is all around adorable!

Really? I have never, ever heard that before! What part of the world is that? Or is it universal and I just live under a rock?

[quote=“lyndsayjenness”]

Really? I have never, ever heard that before! What part of the world is that? Or is it universal and I just live under a rock?[/quote]

I was really confused about the teasing potential, too. I still call my 15 year old sister “Pooh” or “Pooh bear” sometimes. She doesn’t have an issue with it. And actually that has NOTHING what so ever to do with her actual name :slight_smile:

As far as “tooting” being called a “winnie”…I think I live under the same rock as [name]Lyndsay[/name]. I’ve never ever heard that one before…