Birdie

This name? I love it but is it too cutesy?

Too cutesy for sure. What about [name_u]Lark[/name_u], [name_u]Wren[/name_u], or something similar?

1 Like

I like it! I think it could work as a full name, nickname names are particularly popular where I’m from (the UK) and nobody bats an eye at [name_u]Frankie[/name_u] or [name_u]Billie[/name_u] as full names. If a boy can be called [name_m]Buddy[/name_m] why can’t a girl be [name_f]Birdie[/name_f]?

If you did want a more formal name then I love [name_f]Bernadette[/name_f] nn [name_f]Birdie[/name_f], or you could go for a bird name e.g. [name_u]Wren[/name_u] and call her [name_f]Birdie[/name_f].

3 Likes

I think it works! Like @floatinthesky says, nickname names are by far popular enough here, that it’ll be fine. I can also see it quite easily on an adult, funnily enough!

1 Like

I like it! I do think it’s a little cutesy but not any more so than many other popular nickname-names.

I think there are lots of full name options, if you’d prefer it as a nickname- almost anything starting with B and having an R and/or D in it could give you [name_f]Birdie[/name_f]- [name_f]Bridget[/name_f], [name_f]Britta[/name_f], [name_f]Barbara[/name_f], [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f], or even [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f].

4 Likes

Love it, was one of our names but didn’t work with our surname. X

1 Like

Agree with Berdanette.

1 Like

I love it!

1 Like

Maybe [name_u]Robin[/name_u] or [name_f]Robyn[/name_f] and [name_f]Birdie[/name_f] for short… I love [name_f]Birdie[/name_f] but do think it shouldn’t be a full name… [name_m]Just[/name_m] my two cents!

2 Likes

I love that. And totally agree with your philosophies! I prefer [name_u]Robin[/name_u] to [name_f]Robyn[/name_f] to avoid misspellings.

1 Like

@ITheNameaholic Thank you! Yes, no offense meant, but I think the nickname as full name thing isn’t a good idea…

1 Like

Me as well. I don’t like nickname-y names.

1 Like

i actually love this name!! it’s adorable and vintage. I agree it would probably work best as a nickname but I don’t think I would be surprised at all to hear it as a first.

have you considered [name_f]Bridie[/name_f]?

1 Like

I love [name_f]Birdie[/name_f]!

I agree with @floatinthesky, I don’t think it needs a full name. To me, it feels even more “complete” than [name_u]Frankie[/name_u] or [name_u]Billie[/name_u], and is no more cutesy than some other nature-themed names that are more mainstream. I like it best on its own personally, but there are lots of options if you do decide to go with a more formal name.

1 Like

This one has really grown on me! I used to think it was too cutesy to stand alone, but after seeing it used IRL and in pop culture I think it’s a bold choice but usable. Although I’ll confess that if my name was [name_f]Birdie[/name_f], I’d prefer to have a “formal” name too, much as I like it.

1 Like

I love [name_f]Birdie[/name_f]! It’s not overly common and it’s sweet.

1 Like

Birdie is cute and quirky but I think it could mature

1 Like

I love it as a nickname for [name_f]Bernadette[/name_f]! Not so much as a standalone, sorry. If you don’t like [name_f]Bernadette[/name_f], maybe [name_f]Bridget[/name_f], [name_f]Brigid[/name_f], [name_f]Bernadine[/name_f] could be options? Or any bird name like [name_u]Robin[/name_u], [name_u]Kestrel[/name_u], [name_u]Wren[/name_u], [name_u]Sparrow[/name_u], or [name_u]Raven[/name_u] nn [name_f]Birdie[/name_f] as mentioned above.

1 Like

I love it as a nickname, and while I think it could stand alone, I think it would be even nicer as a nickname for something a little more formal.
I once met a little girl whose name was [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f], and she went by [name_f]Birdie[/name_f]. I suppose that’s a bit of a stretch as a nickname, but I thought it was just adorable!

2 Likes

It’s nice, though I can’t get over the fact that it’s bird+ie. Too cutesy for me, but I can see it working.

1 Like