Brett for a girl?

Thoughts? [name_m]Can[/name_m] it work on a girl? Is it too dated? I do have a reason for wanting to use it, but would like to hear a fresh opinion (most people I know irl have the same positive association :sweat_smile:)
Thanks!

2 Likes

Yes, I think it works! [name_m]Hemingway[/name_m] used it for a woman in The [name_u]Sun[/name_u] Also Rises, but it’s never really caught on. I think it’s a little dated FOR A BOY, but kind of new and fresh for a girl.

2 Likes

I think it’s strictly masculine. I get naming a daughter [name_u]Brady[/name_u] or [name_u]James[/name_u] because they have a little bit of an edge… [name_u]Brett[/name_u] just feels like an 90s boy named [name_u]Brett[/name_u].

Some unisex and feminine ways to use it could be—

[name_u]Britt[/name_u]
Bretta
[name_f]Brenda[/name_f]
[name_f]Brenna[/name_f]
Britagne
[name_f]Brittany[/name_f]
[name_f]Betty[/name_f]
[name_f]Ettie[/name_f]
[name_f]Etta[/name_f]
[name_f]Betta[/name_f]

ETA: I do agree with the previous poster, though, in many ways.

3 Likes

i wouldn’t use it, because i wouldn’t want to be a girl named Brett who is mistaken for an older man because of her name

6 Likes

It could work. [name_u]Ryan[/name_u] is being used for girls, and [name_u]Charlie[/name_u], and [name_u]Elliott[/name_u]. So why not any other name?

Since it is so strongly associated with boys, would you consider [name_f]Brynn[/name_f]? I went to camp with a girl named [name_f]Bren[/name_f]. [name_u]Or[/name_u] you could name her something girly and call her [name_u]Brett[/name_u].

[name_f]Brigette[/name_f]
[name_f]Briet[/name_f]

Nameberry lists [name_f]Brette[/name_f] (with the E) as a girl’s name.

[name_u]Or[/name_u], you could combine first and middle names with the right sounds to get [name_u]Brett[/name_u]:

[name_u]Britain[/name_u] [name_u]Elliott[/name_u]
[name_f]Briony[/name_f] [name_f]Henrietta[/name_f]
[name_f]Beryl[/name_f] [name_f]Margaret[/name_f]
[name_u]Brighton[/name_u] [name_f]Etta[/name_f]

2 Likes

I love Bretta and [name_f]Betty[/name_f]! Thanks for your reply :smiley:

1 Like

Totally understand this. Thanks for your reply!

1 Like

It really doesn’t appeal to me. I can sort of see it as a play on [name_u]Britt[/name_u] like [name_f]Brittany[/name_f]. But even that feels dated lol

1 Like

This is so helpful! I love all of your suggestions :smiley: thanks for your reply!

1 Like

Thanks for your reply! So glad you think it works! And I didn’t know about the character association, I’ll look into that :smiley:

1 Like

I just can’t see it on a girl, sorry! It has a very harsh, boyish sound to me - yes, boy names on girls are becoming more common, but I personally feel like Brett has a distinctly masculine sound. You’ve gotten a lot of great suggestions for similar-sounding names, but I’ll just add Briar and Rita!

1 Like

Thanks for your reply! I love [name_u]Briar[/name_u] and [name_f]Rita[/name_f]!

1 Like

It instantly reminded me of [name_u]Brett[/name_u] Somers who was on the Match Game in the 70s, but maybe that reference is too dated for most people. She was always my favorite on the show though and she was a feisty lady, which is what I envision for a girl [name_u]Brett[/name_u].

1 Like

I think it works. The only [name_u]Brett[/name_u] I know is a 50y/o man, so I don’t love it, but I think it could work! Best as a nickname for [name_u]Barrett[/name_u] or [name_f]Bernadette[/name_f] to me.

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] sister went to school with a girl named [name_u]Brett[/name_u] - it works imo, just isn’t a usual choice!

1 Like

I agree that it can work, but it’s difficult for me to picture personally. It’s such an evocative name – 90s frat boy is the image that springs to mind – that I find it hard to override the association.

[name_f]Brynn[/name_f] feels like a nice alternative which shares many of the sounds?

3 Likes

[name_u]Brett[/name_u] is a little too masculine for me I prefer [name_u]Beck[/name_u] x

1 Like

I think it’s a fairly neutral name I just don’t particularly like it for any gender.

1 Like

I don’t even like [name_u]Brett[/name_u] for a boy. I find it dated and harsh. It doesn’t appeal to me for a girl at all.

1 Like

Never thought of [name_f]Bernadette[/name_f]! I love it!

2 Likes