Brett for a girl?

Sounds masculine to me, unless there is a logical way to get there from a feminine name. Perhaps, [name_f]Brynn[/name_f] [name_f]Antoinette[/name_f], nicknamed [name_u]Brett[/name_u]. OR…
[name_f]Brielle[/name_f] [name_f]Antoinette[/name_f]
[name_f]Brittan[/name_f] [name_f]Antoinette[/name_f]
[name_f]Brittany[/name_f] [name_f]Antoinette[/name_f]
[name_f]Bronwen[/name_f] [name_f]Antoinette[/name_f]
[name_f]Briony[/name_f] [name_f]Antoinette[/name_f]

1 Like

Definately dated. And too masculine

1 Like

I actually have only met girls named [name_u]Brett[/name_u] (two of them)! I also definitely associate it with the (female) character in The [name_u]Sun[/name_u] Also Rises. I personally love it for a girl!

1 Like

I generally don’t care for boy names on girls. I have heard of a girl named [name_u]Brett[/name_u] before, but I think of it as only a boy name.

1 Like

Yes, it works good on a girl. It is actually gender neutral even historically unlike names like Tyler or Connor on girls which are used and I heavily dislike this use because Tyler and Connor do personally seem too much for me but Brett?So, it works. Also, the first thing I think is Lady Brett Ashley of Hemingway’s book which was ambientated in the 1920’s Paris, UK and US. It would be a delightful choice for a girl to be honest and since I never heard a boy Brett (not used in my country) I say why not? If it still feels too masculine for you, Bretta?

Literary connections are so important for me at least so why not. I like Hemingway’s works, I don’t know you. To be honest I think there are worse gender bending names than a name that has been gender neutral since probably before the 17 century, with a literary namesake in the 1920s by one of the greatest writers out here and about an actual lady who has an interesting personality and traveled the Atlantic, it has even more connections (good ones) than some “girl” names like Everly. I would tell this story by Hemingway to your daughter one day if she ever asks, I am sure she will love it (hopefully).

1 Like