Brother for Simon???

We have lots of girls names we love: I can’t make the final decision between [name]Eleanor[/name] [name]Violet[/name], [name]Eloise[/name], and [name]Louisa[/name] [name]Helene[/name]. But I love them all so I feel confident about those! :slight_smile:

I am stressed about boys names. Our son is [name]Simon[/name] and we love the name. [name]Every[/name] boys name we come up with just sounds so flawed in some fundamental way when you stand it next to [name]Simon[/name]. I’ve been reading lists and lists of boys names and like very, VERY few of them! We like names that everyone will know, will be easily pronounceable, but are not super common. Here are the few we kind of like:

[name]Gordon[/name]- this is probably our favorite, but I’m not thrilled with both siblings having “-on” endings and I can’t stand the idea of him being called “[name]Gordy[/name]” or “[name]Gordo[/name]” by obnoxious teenagers.

[name]Theo[/name]- Like it, don’t [name]LOVE[/name] it, concerned with the [name]Alvin[/name] and the Chipmunks association between [name]Simon[/name] and [name]Theodore[/name].

[name]Elliot[/name]- Used to like it, feeling kind of blah about it now. Also, if we had a third kid and it was a girl then I would feel like I couldn’t use my favs [name]Eleanor[/name] or [name]Eloise[/name] because of all the "[name]El[/name]-"s.

We would like [name]James[/name] except it’s too popular for our taste and there are like 10 Jameses in my husband’s family and it just seems overdone. Hate “[name]Jim[/name].”

Names I like that my husband doesn’t: [name]Alden[/name] (but too close to [name]Aiden[/name]), [name]Nolan[/name]. I love the name [name]Soren[/name] but we are friends with a kid named [name]Soren[/name] and it goes poorly with [name]Simon[/name]. We like [name]Sebastian[/name] but there are a lot of little kids named [name]Sebastian[/name] in our town, and I don’t like “[name]Seb[/name].” Brother-in-law is named [name]Graham[/name] and we love the name but don’t want to repeat it. We like [name]Ira[/name] but think it’s too nerdy.

Help!!!

1 Like

WDYT of:

[name]Evan[/name]
[name]Nathanial[/name]
[name]Lucas[/name]
[name]Gabriel[/name]
[name]Benjamin[/name]
[name]Jude[/name]
[name]Noah[/name]

[name]Evan[/name] (and [name]Ethan[/name]) sound too close to my husband’s name, [name]Ian[/name]. We know like five small kids named [name]Nathan[/name]/[name]Nathaniel[/name]. [name]Lucas[/name] isn’t bad, but seems a little more popular than we’d like. [name]Gabriel[/name] is too biblical for me. [name]Benjamin[/name] is nice, but seems pretty popular. I don’t really like [name]Jude[/name] (maybe because my entire childhood I had to hear my dad complaining about how much he hates the song “Hey [name]Jude[/name]”…:slight_smile: ). I’m not a big fan of [name]Noah[/name], either. But good suggestions, though–I don’t hate any of them! (Which I’m starting to realize is a good start since apparently we are super picky).

Okay, lets see if I can help here! I love [name]Simon[/name], such a sturdy, common, yet still not overdone name that has such great namesakes ([name]Simon[/name] & Garfunkel being my favorite!)
In all honesty, I would avoid using [name]Gordon[/name]. I see where you are going with him, but i fear your qualm about him being called [name]Gordy[/name] or [name]Gordo[/name] is unavoidable. I for one went to highschool with a boy named [name]Gordon[/name], and the went by those nicknames everyday, whether he liked it or not (highschool can be so crewl, cant it?) You may instead like:
[name]Grey[/name]/[name]Gray[/name] (a nice way to honour [name]Graham[/name] while still holding his own name.)
[name]Gavin[/name]
[name]Geoffrey[/name]
[name]Gerritt[/name]
[name]Griffin[/name]/[name]Griffith[/name]
[name]Grant[/name]
[name]Grady[/name]
[name]Tobias[/name]
[name]Tate[/name]
[name]Thatcher[/name]
[name]Thomas[/name]
[name]Everett[/name]
[name]Noel[/name]
[name]North[/name]
[name]Bennett[/name]

Thats all i’ve got so far. Probably my favorites for you would be [name]Simon[/name] & [name]Gray[/name], [name]Simon[/name] & [name]Gavin[/name], [name]Simon[/name] & [name]Tobias[/name], [name]Simon[/name] & [name]Everett[/name], [name]Simon[/name] & [name]Thomas[/name].

Best of luck,
xo [name]Viv[/name]

[name]Love[/name] [name]Simon[/name]!

I also really like [name]Ira[/name]. Personally, I don’t find it to be too nerdy, for what it’s worth.

[name]How[/name] about …

[name]Arthur[/name]
[name]Milo[/name]
[name]Leo[/name]
[name]Emmett[/name]
[name]Gideon[/name]
[name]Alaric[/name]
[name]Oren[/name]
[name]Ivor[/name]
[name]Phineas[/name]
[name]Abram[/name]
[name]Ezra[/name]
[name]August[/name]
[name]Archer[/name]
Ames (A variant of [name]Amos[/name], like [name]James[/name] without the J.)
[name]Abel[/name]
[name]Dominic[/name]
[name]Rowan[/name]

I immediately thought of [name]Felix[/name]. It has the same feel (to me anyway) as [name]Simon[/name]. A few more choices

[name]Oliver[/name]
[name]Grey[/name]
[name]Archer[/name]
[name]Everett[/name]
[name]Milo[/name]

[name]Simon[/name] is a gorgeous name totally classy and charismatic so you need an equally eyestopping name for son No 2.

A few ideas

[name]Grant[/name] [name]Lachlan[/name]
[name]Craig[/name] [name]Anthony[/name]
[name]Charles[/name] [name]Andrew[/name]
[name]Declan[/name] [name]Isaac[/name]
[name]Tristan[/name] [name]Phillip[/name]
[name]Piers[/name] [name]Jamison[/name]
[name]Reid[/name] [name]Laurence[/name]
[name]Miles[/name] [name]Alexander[/name]
[name]Miles[/name] [name]Cormac[/name]
Warwick [name]Adam[/name]

rollo

I like [name]Oliver[/name] but husband vetoed it! [name]Miles[/name] is ok. Our last name is Cook, so one syllable names aren’t great. Starting to think this bambino better be a girl. :slight_smile:

Maybe your DH would accept [name]Oliver[/name] in the middle name spot?

eg [name]Jackson[/name] [name]Oliver[/name]

rollo

[name]Simon[/name] and…
[name]Jude[/name]
[name]Oliver[/name]
[name]Milo[/name]
[name]Leo[/name]
[name]Malcolm[/name]
[name]Julian[/name]
[name]Henry[/name]
[name]Desmond[/name]

[name]Bennett[/name]
[name]Edward[/name]
[name]Gregory[/name]
[name]Phillip[/name]
[name]Raphael[/name]
[name]Robert[/name]
[name]Walter[/name]

I’m loving [name]Walter[/name], but my cousin has a son named [name]Walter[/name] and it’s just a little too close for me to use again. It’s a shame, though, cause I really like it a lot!

My husband’s name is [name]Gordon[/name]! We’re pretty young so he was always the only [name]Gordon[/name] everyone knew and he really liked that about his name. No one ever calls him [name]Gordy[/name]! Some guys in high school called him [name]Gordo[/name] but mostly just locker room talk. I love his name and I think it would be such a good choice! So much classier then [name]Jordan[/name]!

[name]Grant[/name]
[name]Amos[/name]
[name]Malachi[/name]
[name]Neville[/name]
[name]Abel[/name]
[name]Asa[/name]
[name]Abram[/name]
Shekiah
[name]Benaiah[/name] (Biblical. Variation: [name]Benajah[/name] ([name]Ben[/name]-[name]Aja[/name])
[name]Samuel[/name]
[name]Bertram[/name]
[name]Walt[/name]
[name]Hubbard[/name]
[name]Wells[/name]
[name]Zeff[/name]
[name]Lambert[/name]
[name]Nigel[/name]
[name]Orland[/name]
[name]Ralston[/name]
[name]Trevor[/name]
[name]Ulrich[/name]
[name]Vincent[/name]
[name]Aldrich[/name]
[name]Aldridge[/name]

Too bad about [name]Walter[/name]!
[name]Wallace[/name], [name]Warren[/name], [name]Wesley[/name]?

[name]Andrew[/name] was the brother of [name]Simon[/name] [name]Peter[/name]

Yes classier than [name]Jordan[/name] but the only [name]Gordon[/name] that I ever knew NEVER liked his name and went by [name]Tom[/name] instead.

I think [name]Charles[/name] would fit and a few more I like are

[name]Jonathan[/name] Cook
[name]Hugh[/name] Cook
[name]Harrison[/name] Cook
[name]Joshua[/name] Cook
[name]Jacob[/name] Cook ([name]Jake[/name])
[name]Jasper[/name] Cook I think [name]Jasper[/name] has the same feel as [name]Simon[/name] and it is one of my favourites and makes a great combo with Cook

wdyt?

rollo

PS I nearly forgot - [name]Alister[/name] and [name]Simon[/name] would make great brothers too!

I love [name]Simon[/name]! What a great boys name, it’s actually on my list! I also love the name [name]Eloise[/name], especially with [name]Simon[/name]! SO cute! As for brother names, I agree with [name]Felix[/name]! It’s cute. I also like:

[name]Logan[/name]
[name]Hunter[/name]
[name]Trent[/name]
[name]Kevin[/name]
[name]Eric[/name]
[name]Garrison[/name]
Paedon
[name]Davis[/name]
[name]Tristan[/name]
[name]Vaughn[/name]
[name]River[/name]
[name]Seth[/name]
[name]Holden[/name]
[name]Daven[/name] ([name]Day[/name]-vin)

Thanks, everyone!

[name]Rollo[/name], thanks for checking back. I think [name]Jonathan[/name], [name]Joshua[/name], and [name]Jacob[/name] are much too common for our taste. We happen to know like 10 of each. [name]Jasper[/name] is awesome but is my cousin’s dog’s name and I just don’t think I could get over that association. [name]Hugh[/name] is off the table primarily because my hubs HATES [name]Hugh[/name] [name]Grant[/name]. :slight_smile: I’ve been toying with [name]Hugo[/name], which I think would be super cute! But I’m having trouble imagining an adult [name]Hugo[/name]. DH’s response: “That would take a lot of convincing.” I kind of love [name]Alistair[/name], but I don’t know if I’m brave enough to go that super British! Also, [name]Alistair[/name] Cooke is famous and I think that’s a little much. Not that I’d mind if my son became the host of Masterpiece Theater.

[name]Harrison[/name] nn [name]Harry[/name] is kind of cute! I’ll have to mull that one over.

I do kind of like [name]Felix[/name], and I get why people keep bringing it up. It’s a pretty great name. I do know a baby who was just born named [name]Felix[/name], and I feel like it’s “taken” now even though I don’t know the people very well. Is that silly? It would seem like I was snatching it! Also, my mom would be so obnoxious about [name]Felix[/name] the [name]Cat[/name].

I like [name]Logan[/name], but we have a bad association and don’t want to use it. I’m not a fan of [name]Hunter[/name], [name]Trent[/name], [name]Kevin[/name], [name]Eric[/name], [name]Garrison[/name] (South [name]Park[/name]!), Paedon, [name]Davis[/name], [name]Tristan[/name], [name]River[/name], [name]Holden[/name], or [name]Daven[/name]. I like [name]Seth[/name] but think it’s too choppy with last name Cook. [name]Vaughn[/name] is ok but I think too preppy.

I kind of like [name]Duncan[/name]. But I think the “-can Cook” is too alliterative and sounds like the sentence “[name]Dun[/name] can cook.” (Ahhh the joy of having a last name that is a verb.)

Thanks so much everyone, and keep the suggestions coming! :slight_smile:

[name]Hi[/name] I am back again to see if I can find something that may go on your list.

Something that is classic and popular but one that I love and even if you don’t want in the fn spot it makes a wonderful mn.
I am talking about [name]Alexander[/name].

Then there is
[name]Callum[/name]
[name]Clinton[/name]
[name]Everett[/name]
[name]Christian[/name] (I like the alliteration of [name]Christian[/name] Cook)

These probably fit into the too trendy/popular category
[name]Finley[/name]
[name]Asher[/name]
[name]Ashton[/name]
[name]Hudson[/name]
[name]Cameron[/name]

and here are a couple for the less popular
[name]Marshall[/name]
[name]Kendall[/name]
[name]Fletcher[/name]
[name]Damon[/name] (a bit matchy with [name]Simon[/name])

Dated
[name]Bryce[/name]
[name]Todd[/name]

Possibilities
[name]Bennett[/name]
[name]Calvin[/name] (its not for me)
[name]Fraser[/name]
[name]Roman[/name]

Classic
[name]Timothy[/name]
[name]Toby[/name]
[name]Nicholas[/name]

Very unusual
[name]Barnaby[/name]

and I suggested it before because it is a favourite of mine - [name]Lachlan[/name] and I think the suggestion of [name]Vaughn[/name] is awesome.

rollo