C names for second son

I’ve posted before about C names for our second son but I can’t find the thread!

Here are the new names we are considering–I’m looking for honest and impartial feedback so feel free to let me know your opinion! Our first son’s name is [name]Rowan[/name].

Cavin (rhymes with [name]Gavin[/name], have, etc.)
Cierdan ([name]KEER[/name]-den)
[name]Cullen[/name]
Carrick (rhymes with [name]Eric[/name])
[name]Chaim[/name] ([name]KAI[/name]-um)
[name]Caradoc[/name]

One I really like is [name]Conrad[/name].
Other C names : [name]Cassius[/name], [name]Cash[/name], [name]Cullen[/name], [name]Clark[/name], [name]Carson[/name], [name]Conan[/name], [name]Connor[/name], [name]Clyde[/name]

Cavin (rhymes with [name]Gavin[/name], have, etc.): What about [name]Calvin[/name]? Cavin honestly looks like a typo of [name]Calvin[/name] to me.

Cierdan ([name]KEER[/name]-den): I think it’s cool, but it’s safe to assume pronunciation and spelling issues will arise.

[name]Cullen[/name]: I think this could work with [name]Rowan[/name], as could [name]Callum[/name].

Carrick (rhymes with [name]Eric[/name]): This one feels invented to me…

[name]Chaim[/name] ([name]KAI[/name]-um): [name]Chaim[/name] is a Hebrew word meaning life, and it’s pronounced with a CHUCHHH sound (like you’re clearing your throat), not a [name]Kai[/name] sound.

[name]Caradoc[/name]: Whoa. This one looks and sounds really invented to me. (I know it’s Welsh, though.) I see the name [name]Cara[/name], and the word “doc.” For some reason, probably the Car and the [name]Doc[/name], it reminds me of a cardiologist.

[name]Conrad[/name]
[name]Cashel[/name] (Irish, like [name]Rowan[/name])
[name]Cormac[/name] (ditto)
[name]Corcoran[/name] (instead of [name]Caradoc[/name])
[name]Callum[/name]
[name]Colin[/name]
[name]Cavanaugh[/name] (instead of Cavin)
[name]Clifton[/name]
[name]Clayton[/name]
[name]Charles[/name]

Good luck! :slight_smile:

Thanks for your input! I really do appreciate it!

I actually prefer to spell Cavin as [name]Cavan[/name], but my husband likes it with the “I.” My father-in-law’s name is [name]Calvin[/name], so that’s out.

[name]Do[/name] you think [name]Cullen[/name] is going to skyrocket because of the whole Twilight fad? I love it but I really don’t want to be a part of the next big thing.

Carrick was actually listed in our baby name book as Irish origin, meaning “rock.” I know the word at least exists because of the song “Carrickfergus.”

sigh I actually do know how the word “chaim” is pronounced but thought I might be able to Americanize it a bit as a name. I guess not so much! :slight_smile:

Thank you for your additional name suggestions too!

[name]Cailean[/name]
[name]Callister[/name]
[name]Callahan[/name]
[name]Cian[/name] - [name]Rowan[/name] and [name]Cian[/name] flows good
[name]Connor[/name]
[name]Collin[/name]
[name]Caius[/name]
[name]Calypso[/name] (KAHL/LEEP/SO)

[name]Hi[/name] there again…I don’t know about [name]Cullen[/name] becoming massively popular, but who knows what will happen with Twilight names? I wonder if [name]Esme[/name], [name]Rosalie[/name], and [name]Alice[/name] will become hot names, too. (I’m not a Twilight fan, but have heard about the characters.)

I do think fans of the book may say things like, “Oh! Like [name]Edward[/name] [name]Cullen[/name]?” when they hear the name, so if you think that will bother you, maybe it’s not the best choice. I do think [name]Cullen[/name] is seriously awesome, though!

I completely understand that Carrick is a real name, but it just has that invented feel to me, like someone trying to make a new version of [name]Eric[/name]. (But that’s just me.)

What about [name]Cavanaugh[/name], nn [name]Cavan[/name]? With [name]Cavan[/name] spelled this way, it doesn’t look like a [name]Calvin[/name] typo.

Some more:
[name]Camden[/name]
[name]Callahan[/name] (nn [name]Cal[/name])
[name]Clancy[/name] (which I’ve heard as a nickname for [name]Clarence[/name])
[name]Corbin[/name]
[name]Curtis[/name]

If you love [name]Cavan[/name]/Cavin, I think you should go for it! :slight_smile:

I’m sure more people will come along soon, and you’ll hopefully find the perfect name.

Good luck!

I love Cierden!!! That also brings to mind “[name]Kerr[/name]” which [name]Ive[/name] always thought was nice, or what about Ciernan? Another nice/unique (although I have noticed it on the rise…) is [name]Cassius[/name]… or what about [name]Cash[/name]? I really like the name [name]Cullen[/name], but it always reminds me of Twilight.
You ahve some beautiful names picked out!!!

Thanks again!
It’s so nice to get some outside-the-box perspective on names!

I will run all your name suggestions by my hubby-- he is incredibly picky about names (he likes Cierdan but not [name]Kiernan[/name], etc.) so that’s half of what has made this decision so tricky! [name]Don[/name]'t get me wrong, I love that he’s just as discerning as I am, it just makes it really hard for us to agree on boy’s names! ([name]Rowan[/name] was the ONLY boy’s name we could agree on by the time our son was born and it’s taken some serious searching to find any others since then!)

[name]How[/name] do you pronounce [name]Cian[/name]? I’m not too keen (ha ha) on the KEE-yon pronunciation but have sometimes heard it as KEE-en or [name]Keen[/name]? I doubt my hubby will go for it since his brother has a --rather annoying-- friend that pronounces it KEE-yon.

[name]Jill[/name], I haven’t read the Twighlight books or seen the movies at all but have been kind of turned off by the fact that most of the people I know that love it are high school girls. Hardly indicative of a classic work of fiction. My sister-in-law is a fan so I know it would probably come up. [name]Cullen[/name] is such a beautiful name though! Argh!

Anyway! Our current top three are Cavin/[name]Cavan[/name], [name]Cullen[/name] and Cierdan.

Cavin would actually be an homage to his grandpa, [name]Calvin[/name], and reportedly means “handsome.” (Although behindthename.com has a different opinion.)

[name]Cullen[/name] also means “handsome” and is a great name, as has already been established! :slight_smile:

Cierdan means “shipwright” and is actually a name from [name]Lord[/name] of the Rings so that gave it major kudos in our books and probably puts it at the top of the list for my hubby.

[name]Callum[/name] is another favorite of mine, but we plan on naming out first daughter [name]Calla[/name], so unless we change our minds, that’s not an option.

I never thought it would be this hard to find names for my children! :slight_smile: I guess as a child obsessing over names I didn’t take into account that I would have to accommodate another person’s preferences!

[name]Hi[/name] again! :slight_smile: Yeah, that darn Twilight had to come along and ruin some good names. I’m with you on that one!

I’m voting for [name]Calvin[/name] to honor Grandpa [name]Calvin[/name], or Cierdan. I think [name]Callum[/name] is awesome, and think it would be a shame not to use it because of a potentially future [name]Calla[/name] (love it!). What if your taste changes by then? Plus, you’ll then have a [name]Max[/name], a Cavin (or other C name), and a [name]Calla[/name], making [name]Max[/name] the oddball out with an M.

[name]Cian[/name]? I’d pronounce it Kee-in, but I’m guessing it’s supposed to be “[name]Keen[/name].”

For what it’s worth, Cierdan is really growing on me, especially with your [name]Rowan[/name]. :slight_smile:

[name]Jill[/name], you make very good points and I value your opinion!

Cierdan has been sneaking more and more into my heart too… I guess we can always settle on a few names we like (since it seems that will be possible this time!) and decide on delivery day. (We didn’t find out [name]Rowan[/name]'s gender beforehand and it was wonderful! We plan on doing the same for all our future children.)

Of course we’re not even pregnant yet but we’re planning on it relatively soon.

So anyway, thanks again! :slight_smile:

Thanks, [name]Dove[/name]. You’re so, so welcome! Thinking of C names is fun. :slight_smile: I don’t know if this matters, but Cierdan is continuing to grow on me. I think it’s really handsome! You know, I never realized how many cool C names there are!

Take care! :slight_smile:

[name]How[/name] about [name]Cyan[/name]. It soumnds good with [name]Rowan[/name], I think.

unicorngal-- how would you pronounce [name]Cyan[/name]?

I love [name]Rowan[/name]!!

[name]Connell[/name]
[name]Cade[/name]
[name]Caedmon[/name]
[name]Cullen[/name] (already on your list)
[name]Cormac[/name]
[name]Channing[/name]
[name]Curran[/name] / [name]Curren[/name]
[name]Clancy[/name]
[name]Callahan[/name]
[name]Cale[/name]
[name]Cagney[/name]
[name]Case[/name]
[name]Cyrus[/name]
[name]Calhoun[/name]
[name]Clive[/name]
[name]Corbin[/name]
[name]Cord[/name]

A couple random thoughts…

On [name]Baby[/name] Name [name]Wizard[/name], I found out that [name]Cullen[/name] is actually derived from a Gaelic name that means “holly”! I have been searching far and wide for a “C” nature name that both my DH and I can agree on! Now I’m really angry with Twilight. …grumble grumble grumble…

Okay, I’m done ranting about that.

My other thought: I’ve mentioned Cierdan to a couple people in the family and all of them have asked “For a boy?” despite the fact that they knew we were talking about our second son. Does it sound feminine to you?

My favorite from your list is Cierdan. Reminiscent of names like [name]Jordan[/name] or [name]Riordan[/name], but uniquely its own.

I’m afraid that the ‘c’ sound can sometimes be confused with a ‘g’ sound, so names like cavin(an)/gavin might be confusing. i think carrick is handsome, but i’m also afraid of it being confused with derek or him being made fun of for being close to ‘carrot.’

[name]Cullen[/name] has definitely been ruined by Twilight- so sad!

Also, maybe you might want to look at suggestions in this thread if you haven’t already.

I think that [name]Cullen[/name] is a great, strong name that goes well with [name]Rowan[/name]. I don’t think that the Twilight fad should bother you… and if it’s any consolation the character [name]Edward[/name] [name]Cullen[/name] is very handsome. I second the idea of honoring Grandpa [name]Calvin[/name]. [name]Calvin[/name] is such a masculine name - I would use it, but my husband doesn’t like it at all.

Best of luck to you!

I hadn’t given too much consideration to [name]Cavan[/name] being mistaken for [name]Gavin[/name] or Carrick being close to “carrot”, etc! So thank you!

I guess I’m not as much concerned about the Twilight association of [name]Cullen[/name] as I am concerned there will be a huge boom of little Cullens now that the books/movies are so popular. I do not want to be a part of the next “meganame” like [name]Aiden[/name]…

[name]Calvin[/name] is a nice name but my husband and I are not big fans, so we aren’t likely to choose to pass it on. [name]Even[/name] if we did like it, it might get a little confusing since Grandpa [name]Cal[/name] goes by both [name]Calvin[/name] and [name]Cal[/name]. I definitely don’t want a “[name]Little[/name] [name]Calvin[/name],” “[name]Baby[/name] [name]Cal[/name],” “[name]Calvin[/name] [name]Jr[/name].” etc.

Picking a C name actually gets three birds with one stone without showing a preference: Dad [name]Chris[/name], Grandpa [name]Cal[/name] and Great Grandpa [name]Carroll[/name]!
That way we can honor family with a well-established tradition and still get to choose a name that’s our style! Good deal all around!

Someone already mentioned this, but [name]Callum[/name] has some of the same sound as [name]Cullen[/name]. Has DH nixed that one yet?

I love [name]Calvin[/name], but I agree it might be tricky to have “little [name]Calvin[/name]” and “big [name]Calvin[/name].”