Catherine, Katherine, Katharine or Kathryn?

Which spelling do you prefer and why?

I personally prefer [name]Catherine[/name]. I feel it’s classic, distinguished and complete. The other spellings feel, well, just less so to me. It may be due to the surge in popularity of “K” names in the past few decades.

My husband prefers [name]Katherine[/name] because of the history of Russian royalty bearing the name [name]Katerina[/name] or [name]Ekaterina[/name]. We’re not Russian, so I’m not sure why this is important to him, but it is.

I just want to get an idea of what other people think of the spellings!

Thanks everyone!

My favorite is [name]Kathryn[/name]. Could be because it’s the name of a very close friend or because I like what I call “droopy” letters. I also feel that this spelling has more spunk and personality to it than the traditional [name]Katherine[/name]. That said my second choice would be [name]Catherine[/name] - I prefer the traditional French spelling to the English one.

I like [name]Catherine[/name] the best for similar reasons to what you’ve mentioned.

I also like [name]Catherine[/name] the best for the reasons you mentioned. I also just don’t really like K names for girls, but if you did want to use the K then either of the two without the y are fine - I really do not like [name]Kathryn[/name]. [name]Catherine[/name] is beautiful - why mess with it? It’s a gret name with lovely nicknames. :slight_smile:

I’m torn! I like [name]Katharine[/name] because this is the spelling [name]Katharine[/name] Hepburn used. Also because the K spelling transitions naturally to [name]Kate[/name], which is still my favorite nickname for the name. But I also like [name]Catherine[/name] because it feels softer and more old-fashioned in a pretty way to me, and because it’s the spelling used for the character in one of my favorite books, Wuthering Heights!

Those are all fully accepted spellings of the name. I had ancestors named [name]Katharine[/name] and [name]Catharine[/name]. If I had had several daughters, I would have used it as a middle name and would have chosen the spelling [name]CATHERINE[/name], which I slightly prefer. However, for someone who wants to use it as a first name with the nn [name]Kate[/name], I can see one of the K spellings as a better option. I would use the e (rather than a) in the middle only because I think it would result in fewer misspellings.

I like it spelled [name]Catherine[/name] because I think it looks elegant, refined, and maybe even a little bit medieval. I do prefer nn [name]Kate[/name] though I think it’s fine even if [name]Catherine[/name] proper is spelled with a C rather than a K ([name]Princess[/name] [name]Kate[/name], anyone?). Actress [name]Cate[/name] Blanchett manages to pull off the nn with a C (though admittedly maybe only because she’s [name]Cate[/name] Blanchett).

[name]Catherine[/name] would be a certain front-runner for a future daughter if we did not already have a son named [name]Caspian[/name] (too matchy for my taste).

My name is [name]Catherine[/name] and before I started learning about names, that was the only one I preferred because it seemed the most classic. However, depending on where you originate from, the “original” or “classic” spelling could be any number of spellings, including [name]Katherine[/name] and [name]Katharine[/name] (which I believe is the original Greek spelling). The only spellings I don’t like are those with “ryn” at the end because they seem like youneek versions (albeit created long ago) of the classic originals, although I admit maybe there is a culture that spells it that way that I am not aware of.

I have also known Catherines who went by [name]Cate[/name] (which I always wished I could pull off), [name]Cait[/name], and [name]Catie[/name].

my fav spelling is [name]Kathryn[/name] ((:

I love the [name]Catherine[/name] spelling. It makes me cringe, though, when people use [name]Kate[/name] (with the k) as a nn for [name]Catherine[/name]. If you want the nn [name]Kate[/name], please spell it [name]Katherine[/name] or one of the k versions.

[name]Catherine[/name] is my favorite spelling. I am just not a fan of “K” names. I see one and automatically become angry, probably because I’m used to “K” equaling [name]Konnor[/name], [name]Kamdyn[/name], Kammeryn, etc.

My name is [name]Kathrine[/name], nn [name]Kate[/name]. Notice that there is no e or a between the h and the r. People are always spelling my name wrong even after I spell it out for them. Personally I think would prefer to be [name]Katherine[/name]. If you love the name spelled with a C I would go for that. It is classic and strong.

I definitely prefer the [name]Catherine[/name] spelling and see no reason why you can’t spell [name]Kate[/name] as [name]Cate[/name] to use a a nickname. The C looks softer to me and less “made up”. With the amount of K substitutes for traditionally C-spelled names, I just can’t find many K names that look like they are supposed to be spelled with K’s. The only one I like is [name]Kaia[/name]!

I prefer the [name]Katherine[/name] spelling. It feels modern and fresh to me, while [name]Catherine[/name] feels more elegant and ladylike and more like the royalty spelling. [name]Katharine[/name] is too Ms Hepburn and [name]Kathryn[/name] looks trendy. Plus I’d use the nn [name]Kate[/name]/[name]Katie[/name] and so spelling the full name with a K as well makes more sense to me.

I like [name]Catherine[/name] and [name]Katharine[/name].

I dislike all the y spellings. For that matter, I don’t like the 2-syllable pronunciation I associate with [name]Kathryn[/name], I prefer the 2.5 of Cath-e-rine or Kath-a-rine.

I’m only so-so on [name]Katherine[/name], which feels like it was afraid to commit to anything interested and muddles along in the middle.

[name]Katharine[/name] - I like the historic use of this spelling, it’s one of the very old ones. I like Ms. Hepburn. And I like the nicknames [name]Kitty[/name] and [name]Kay[/name] - both of which feel less used to me than [name]Kate[/name]/[name]Katie[/name], which is okay too but just overworked. I’m not keen on K-for-kreative names, but there are a few classic and correct ones, let’s not throw the baby out with the bathwatyr. :wink:

[name]Catherine[/name] - I like this for the nickname [name]Cat[/name]. And I like the soft, gentle vintage feel of [name]Catherine[/name]. I do not like [name]Cate[/name].

For me, it has to be [name]Catherine[/name] or [name]Katherine[/name]. I think the [name]Katharine[/name] doesn’t flow well (just my opinion) and [name]Kathryn[/name] is a little too modernly spelt for my liking.

1 [name]Catherine[/name]
2 [name]Katherine[/name]
3 [name]Katharine[/name]
4 [name]Kathryn[/name]

Usually I love the C-options but I really don’t like [name]Catherine[/name]. [name]Katharine[/name] is my favorite, because I think it looks the prettiest, and [name]Kathryn[/name] after that.

My favorite is [name]Catherine[/name]. It looks the most elegant to me, I love that it’s the French spelling, and (from a visual standpoint) I prefer the smooth openness of the C to the prickliness of the K.

My second favorite is [name]Katharine[/name]. It’s the spelling that’s most true to the origins of the name, and Hepburn is a great association. My biggest problem with [name]Katharine[/name] is that it’s so close to the far more popular [name]Katherine[/name], I think people would carelessly get it wrong most of the time. I prefer to save this spelling for use as a middle name.

[name]Kathryn[/name] is streamlined and has a kind of mid-century spunkiness the other spellings lack, so I like it well enough. [name]Katherine[/name] is my least favorite of the four just because I find it the least interesting.

Historically, in English, the French [name]Catherine[/name] has always had the nn [name]Kate[/name] spelled with a K. My daughter has the Welsh name [name]Caitlin[/name], and my great-grandmother the Norwegian name [name]Katarine[/name], so I actually like the K and C versions: [name]Katharine[/name] (which is [name]German[/name] and Greek) and [name]Catherine[/name] (French-[name]Norman[/name]). I also love the Neapolitan nn Catari, which is the name used in my favourite song, [name]Cor[/name]'ngrato.