Clara vs. Kayla - or Flora?

I love [name_f]Clara[/name_f], [name_f]Kayla[/name_f] & [name_f]Flora[/name_f], however I need help picking which one I love the most. Here is a bit about each:
[name_f]Clara[/name_f] - my Dad used to tell my brother and I stories about two little girls named [name_f]Heidi[/name_f] and [name_f]Clara[/name_f]. They had a brother, but I can’t remember his name. Pronounced [name_f]Claire[/name_f]-uh not Clar-uh.
[name_f]Kayla[/name_f] - One of my BFF’s is [name_f]Michaela[/name_f] and I’ve always loved the “aela” sound. [name_f]Kayla[/name_f] is so sweet. Also, my Mom is [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] so this sort of honours her.
[name_f]Flora[/name_f] - No real reason why I love [name_f]Flora[/name_f], I just do. The only problem, is [name_f]Flora[/name_f] is a bacteria in the stomach (you know, “normal [name_f]Flora[/name_f] of the intestines”) so I’m not sure if it’s usable anymore.

Would love to hear your opinions on all of these names! Also open to comments about [name_f]Tessa[/name_f], [name_f]Viola[/name_f] and [name_f]Greta[/name_f]. I want to narrow down my names and have a #1 Girls name settled!

[name_f]Tessa[/name_f] - love how earthy it sounds (like [name_f]Theresa[/name_f]). Someone I greatly admire is named [name_f]Tess[/name_f] and from her, I love this name.
[name_f]Viola[/name_f] - Musical, so musical! [name_u]Love[/name_u] the long o.
[name_f]Greta[/name_f] - I like how it’s Great with the letters mixed around. [name_u]Love[/name_u] how unique and pretty it is.

Also open to any suggestions you guys have!

MN realistically would be [name_f]Jane[/name_f], but please note that I’m not TTC or pregnant.

Here is goes
[name_f]Clara[/name_f] - I’m not a big fan of [name_f]Clara[/name_f] and I really can’t explain why, but I I like some of your other names much more.
[name_f]Kayla[/name_f] seems much more ‘trendy’ than the other names you have picked out. To [name_f]Kayla[/name_f] lacks sophistication and seems more like a nickname than a given name.
I really like [name_f]Flora[/name_f], [name_f]Viola[/name_f], and [name_f]Greta[/name_f]. [name_f]Greta[/name_f] being my top choice among the options!

This is the order that I like the names from liking the most to liking the least:

[name_f]Viola[/name_f] - love this. I agree that it sounds musical, strong, feminine. It’s one of my top names I think.
[name_f]Clara[/name_f] - sounds very singsongy - I prefer just [name_f]Claire[/name_f] but [name_f]Clara[/name_f] is pretty.
[name_f]Flora[/name_f] - nice imagery but perhaps a bit trendy at the moment? Not sure it will have staying power.
[name_f]Tessa[/name_f] - I like it as a nickname but I don’t personally think it stands alone as a first name and I can’t picture an older [name_f]Tessa[/name_f]. As a nn for [name_f]Teresa[/name_f] it is pretty.
[name_f]Greta[/name_f] - sounds clunky to me. the “gre” sound just doesn’t sound nice to my ear.
[name_f]Kayla[/name_f] - I really dislike [name_f]Kayla[/name_f]. I find it a tacky name if that makes sense. I wouldn’t picture someone sophisticated with the name.

I love [name_f]Clara[/name_f]. I personally pronounce it Clar-rah but I think it might be different in the US (?). The story of [name_f]Heidi[/name_f] and [name_f]Clara[/name_f] you are recalling might be from the children’s book [name_f]Heidi[/name_f] by [name_f]Johanna[/name_f] Spyri. I love that book! There is a boy named [name_m]Peter[/name_m] who is their friend as well. A sweet reference for the name
As a question of personal taste, I’m not a fan of [name_f]Kayla[/name_f] sorry. It’s too trendy for me. I tend not to like K names much, either.
[name_f]Flora[/name_f] is beautiful in my opinion. If you’re worried about the ‘gut flora’ issue (which I don’t think of as a big problem), what about [name_f]Florence[/name_f]? nn [name_f]Flora[/name_f] or [name_f]Flossie[/name_f]? Or [name_f]Florrie[/name_f] or [name_u]Ren[/name_u]/[name_u]Wren[/name_u]? I know a four-year-old [name_f]Florence[/name_f] and I think it’s gorgeous.
[name_f]Tessa[/name_f] I absolutely adore. I think it’s beautiful and sweet and grounded and just about everything you could want in a name.
Ditto [name_f]Greta[/name_f]. I love this name! I know a couple of Gretas and it’s always struck me as a lovely name. My twin sister’s name is [name_f]Gretel[/name_f] which I also adore.
[name_f]Viola[/name_f] is lovely, but I worry slightly about the pronunciation difficulties. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you intend to pronounce it vy-oh-la or vee-oh-la?

My favourite names are probably [name_f]Tessa[/name_f], [name_f]Greta[/name_f] and [name_f]Florence[/name_f] :slight_smile:

Thanks so much for all your feedback everyone!

[name_u]Jem[/name_u] - I pronounce it vy-oh-la. Not a big fan of [name_f]Florence[/name_f]. For some reason I just adore 5 letter names! Haha. And you’re right, the boys name was [name_m]Peter[/name_m]! I don’t think we ever read the book, my Dad just made up stories about those characters. I’ll have to read the book someday.

So ( I meant to put in a poll, oops) this is the tally so far.

[name_f]Tessa[/name_f] - 1
[name_f]Greta[/name_f] - 2
[name_f]Flora[/name_f] - 2
[name_f]Viola[/name_f] - 2
[name_f]Kayla[/name_f]
[name_f]Clara[/name_f] - 1

I think I love [name_f]Clara[/name_f] & [name_f]Tessa[/name_f] the most haha but I’m still not 100% sure.

[name_f]Clara[/name_f] - Nice. It’s always felt a little too porcelain-doll delicate for my taste, but it’s undeniably pretty.
[name_f]Kayla[/name_f] - Not a fan. It already sounds very dated to my ears; and between the K and the Y looks very trendy. I prefer [name_f]Ayla[/name_f].
[name_f]Flora[/name_f] - I had no idea this was another word for stomach bacteria; is it common knowledge? I think most people just think of flowers when they hear this one. It’s pretty, pleasant, and perfectly wearable [name_f]IMO[/name_f].
[name_f]Tessa[/name_f] - Really like this one. I think it can perfectly suit both a girly girl and a tomboy, it’s a wonderfully sleek, strong and versatile name.
[name_f]Greta[/name_f] - Eh. I’ve never been a fan, I think it sounds harsh and a little frumpy. [name_m]Just[/name_m] generally NMS.
[name_f]Viola[/name_f] - My all-time favorite name ever. So naturally I think it’s pretty fantastic!

I like that your names feel cohesive enough to sound good as a set. I can totally picture sisters [name_f]Flora[/name_f], [name_f]Tessa[/name_f], and [name_f]Viola[/name_f].

I much prefer [name_f]Flora[/name_f] followed by [name_f]Clara[/name_f]. I’m not the least bit attracted to they kay- names. Perhaps if you love the name [name_f]Kayla[/name_f] so much, you could consider the spelling [name_f]Calla[/name_f] (I met a girl once who’s name was spelled like this and pronounced [name_f]Kayla[/name_f]), visually, it’s much more elegant and classic.

I only like two of your names… [name_f]Greta[/name_f] and [name_f]Kayla[/name_f]. I love [name_f]Greta[/name_f] because it’s beautiful, a little exotic, and not at all frilly. The [name_f]Greta[/name_f] [name_f]Garbo[/name_f] connection gives it a vintage-y feel to me. [name_f]Kayla[/name_f] IS dated (thanks to Patch and [name_f]Kayla[/name_f] of the 80’s soap opera Days of Our Lives) but I don’t think it will be forever. It will eventually come back into style and I don’t think it was popular enough to ever become unusable.

Oh… and if she has a career in medicine I think you will regret [name_f]Flora[/name_f]. :frowning:

@rainydaygarden - that’s what I’m worried about! I would be so unhappy if my name was [name_f]Flora[/name_f], like Bacteria, ew gross. But it’s such a pretty name. We’ll just have to hope my love for it dies out.

But [name_f]Flora[/name_f] is winning the poll… [name_f]Tessa[/name_f] & [name_f]Greta[/name_f] might actually be my two favourites. Haha so indecisive.

[name_f]Tessa[/name_f] - 2
[name_f]Greta[/name_f] - 3
[name_f]Flora[/name_f] - 4
[name_f]Viola[/name_f] - 3
[name_f]Kayla[/name_f] - 2
[name_f]Clara[/name_f] - 1

@lailanotlilah - But [name_f]Calla[/name_f] is pronounced [name_u]Cal[/name_u]-uh not [name_u]Kay[/name_u]-luh. I definitely want names that are spelled the way they are pronounced. I would love it if there was a name that you could guarantee there was only 1 spelling to it (and most of these names come sort of close), but there’s always more ways to spell name. I would hate having to say, “[name_m]Hi[/name_m], my name is [name_f]Kayla[/name_f], but spelled [name_f]Calla[/name_f].” I think [name_f]Kayla[/name_f] is sort of exempt from the trendy “make all Cs a K” and “y in the middle everywhere!” because [name_f]Kayla[/name_f] is the only way to spell the name - as far as I know. It’s not like [name_f]Caitlyn[/name_f] vs. [name_f]Kaitlyn[/name_f] (and the Ys there do not bother me) or [name_u]Courtney[/name_u] vs. [name_f]Kourtney[/name_f] (I actually know a 21 year old [name_f]Kourtney[/name_f] and I also know a 15 year old [name_u]Courtney[/name_u]. TBH, I sort of prefer it with a K. Maybe I am on board with the K trend).

[name_f]Clara[/name_f] is beautiful and classic, but also in fashion right now! So it’s a perfect name. You could try [name_f]Bayla[/name_f] instead of [name_f]Kayla[/name_f]. [name_f]Kayla[/name_f] was once trendy but had its day in the late 1980s and likely won’t come round again. I like [name_f]Tess[/name_f], but not [name_f]Tessa[/name_f], because I know two woman in their 20s with that name and one is snobby and the other snarky (sorry to any nice Tessas out there!).

1. [name_f]Clara[/name_f]
  2. [name_f]Greta[/name_f]
  3. [name_f]Viola[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] (I like these two names together!)
  4. [name_f]Tess[/name_f]

[name_f]Flora[/name_f] is so pretty and it would suit a pretty, down to earth person.

My personal favourites are [name_f]Flora[/name_f] & [name_f]Clara[/name_f] as noticeable in my signature. But I’m going to talk about them a little more:

[name_f]Clara[/name_f] - see this I only like as Clah-ra but either way, the name has a very elegant, classic and feminine vibe to it, I love it!

[name_f]Kayla[/name_f] - I personally am not a huge fan of [name_f]Kayla[/name_f] but I don’t mind it much either. Another suggestion might be to just use [name_f]Ayla[/name_f] since you love the sound so much.

[name_f]Flora[/name_f] - I also really love [name_f]Flora[/name_f]. She’s a bit more vintage than [name_f]Clara[/name_f] but otherwise has the same vibe. There are a few downsides/ negative points about [name_f]Flora[/name_f] (gut flora, and fauna, sleeping beauty) but they don’t bother me much. However once [name_f]Flora[/name_f] went on my short list, [name_f]Clara[/name_f] became a middle name since they’re too close in sound for me as sisters.

[name_f]Tessa[/name_f] - I like [name_f]Tessa[/name_f]. It sounds fresh and quirky.

[name_f]Viola[/name_f] - I only love the Vee-O-la pronunciation. She’s very pretty and feminine yet haunting and mysterious.

[name_f]Greta[/name_f] - this is one I find very harsh in English (and they say [name_m]German[/name_m] is a harsh language :)). I doesn’t really appeal to me.

I would pair: [name_f]Clara[/name_f] with [name_f]Viola[/name_f] and [name_f]Tessa[/name_f]. [name_f]Flora[/name_f] with [name_f]Viola[/name_f]. [name_f]Kayla[/name_f] with [name_f]Tessa[/name_f] & [name_f]Greta[/name_f] with [name_f]Flora[/name_f].

I think for you my pick would be [name_f]Tessa[/name_f]. It goes with most names on your list/goes with different styles, sounds fresh but still vintage, would honor a dear person and is very feminine yet not frilly, something the other names on your list share as well.

Those are pretty names altogether for 3 sister set! However:

[name_f]Clara[/name_f]: Pretty but many think of [name_f]Clara[/name_f] the clown or cow. Also seems to be trending upward in popularity.

[name_f]Kayla[/name_f] is pretty too unfortunately it is so overused that many of us are all burned out with it.

I like [name_f]Flora[/name_f] and do not think many would think about [name_f]Flora[/name_f] as intestinal bacteria. I think of [name_f]Flora[/name_f] and [name_f]Fauna[/name_f] (earthy names).

I also like the full name of [name_f]Tessa[/name_f] [name_u]Kaye[/name_u] (the [name_u]Kaye[/name_u] after your Mom)! Can also add the second middle as [name_f]Jane[/name_f]. This would work well with most of your names… or:

[name_f]Kayleen[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f]

[name_f]Clara[/name_f] [name_f]Janell[/name_f]

[name_f]Heidi[/name_f] [name_u]Clare[/name_u] [name_f]Jane[/name_f]

[name_f]Flora[/name_f] [name_f]Kayleen[/name_f]

[name_f]Kayelin[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f]

From most liking to least liking:
[name_f]Clara[/name_f] - It’s beautiful, it’s warm, pretty and classic.
[name_f]Greta[/name_f] - Old name, I love old-lady-names, [name_f]Edith[/name_f], [name_f]Sigrid[/name_f], [name_f]Esther[/name_f], [name_f]Greta[/name_f], I love it!
[name_f]Flora[/name_f] - I’m not thinking about the bacteria, I think it’s a very pretty flowername!
[name_f]Viola[/name_f] - Flowername, cute, not my favourite, but still cute, I’m thinking of someone very ambitious and serious.
[name_f]Kayla[/name_f] - Too trendy, outdated, not sophisticated.
[name_f]Tessa[/name_f] - No, I don’t like [name_f]Terese[/name_f] or [name_f]Teresa[/name_f] either, for me [name_f]Tessa[/name_f] is a nickname.

[name_f]Tessa[/name_f] - 4
[name_f]Greta[/name_f] - 5
[name_f]Flora[/name_f] - 6
[name_f]Viola[/name_f] - 4
[name_f]Kayla[/name_f] - 2
[name_f]Clara[/name_f] - 3

The tally is still going!!

@OpheliaFlora - Thanks so much for your in-depth analysis. I love your signature! [name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_u]Theo[/name_u] especially and [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]. I’ve always liked the “elia” sound, the [name_m]Cord[/name_m] is just a bit too harsh for me. And the name is too long for a first because it’s not 5 letters hahahaha. I used to pronounce [name_f]Viola[/name_f] like the instrument “Vee-oh-la” but after watching “She’s the [name_m]Man[/name_m]” I decided Vy-oh-la was better for a name. I do think [name_f]Tessa[/name_f] might be my favourite. She’s so earthy :smiley:
But the other names feel “clearer” if that makes sense. Sort of like ringing bells. [name_f]Clara[/name_f] feels so clear and bright while [name_f]Tessa[/name_f] is soft and earthy. [name_f]Viola[/name_f], [name_f]Flora[/name_f] & [name_f]Kayla[/name_f] also feel very bright to me while [name_f]Greta[/name_f] is more like [name_f]Tessa[/name_f], warm and gentle.

Thanks so much for everyone’s feedback! It’s so helpful!

Interesting. The names do feel different to me.

[name_f]Tessa[/name_f] feels very fresh, like spring and soft rain, the earth awakening. Like a splash of water.
->http://www.hdwallpapersinn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Mountains-Blue-Lake-Hd-480618.jpg

[name_f]Clara[/name_f] feels very warm and cosy. Like [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] Time. Everything glows and shimmers in a golden light.
->http://meetinx.de/files/2011/10/werthers-original-2011-04.jpg (not necessarily how I picture [name_f]Clara[/name_f] herself but the scenery, colours and lighting fit)

[name_f]Flora[/name_f] feels fresh again, but also warmer. While [name_f]Tessa[/name_f] feels like the winter turning into spring, cool mornings and mild days, [name_f]Flora[/name_f] is a warm day in may to me.
->http://www.pinterest.com/pin/423268064953401266/

[name_f]Greta[/name_f] is very warm again but also evokes images of old movies and black and white Hollywood glamour.
-> https://gallery.mailchimp.com/8ef97897c275d3d43446f2218/images/ad77718f-0c74-4abb-a2bc-2ae29e907973.jpg

[name_f]Viola[/name_f] is mysterious but also warm. Like an autumn forest covered in fog.
->http://www.pinterest.com/pin/423268064953407748/

[name_f]Kayla[/name_f] is very modern and reminds me of a big city. A girl in jeans and a tee on a playground surrounded by trees and skyscrapers.
->http://www.bobturf.org/jeannie/images/NYC2012Sights_Playground.jpg

The links are images that pop up when I think about the names. I don’t think that helps very much but maybe you enjoy them :slight_smile:

[name_f]Flora[/name_f] and [name_f]Viola[/name_f] are stunning names, the others are just… meh.

It’s just that [name_f]Kayla[/name_f] isn’t at all pretty to me and I tend to avoid “k” names because that’s a letter that originally does not exist in my Spanish alphabet, it became more popular under the influence of American culture. [name_f]Clara[/name_f] is just so, so common everywhere I go, it`s lovely but because of how many [name_f]Clara[/name_f]'s there are in this world, it just ended up sounding boring to me. I’m also not that fond of [name_f]Tess[/name_f] or [name_f]Tessa[/name_f], because I tend to think they lack the substance of [name_f]Teresa[/name_f]. [name_f]Greta[/name_f] is my least favorite of the “[name_f]Margaret[/name_f]” names… it sounds greasy and completely undelicate to me.

Overall, your list is a wonderful one and you have a great taste in names.

I love [name_f]Clara[/name_f] & [name_f]Tessa[/name_f] and really like [name_f]Viola[/name_f] & [name_f]Flora[/name_f] but - no offence in tended - I truly dislike the name [name_f]Kayla[/name_f]. I don’t mind [name_f]Greta[/name_f] (if pronounced greh-tuh)

Agreed. I like [name_f]Kayla[/name_f] and don’t find it to be trendy. I think if you meet some successful, sophisticated Kaylas, some of your (that’s a plural your) opinions about the name may change.

[name_f]Tessa[/name_f] - 5
[name_f]Greta[/name_f] - 6
[name_f]Flora[/name_f] - 7
[name_f]Viola[/name_f] - 5
[name_f]Kayla[/name_f] - 3
[name_f]Clara[/name_f] - 4

The names are all relatively even… [name_f]Flora[/name_f] is winning and [name_f]Kayla[/name_f] losing but not by much. Also, a lot of people seem to like but not love [name_f]Clara[/name_f] and [name_f]Viola[/name_f].

@OpheliaFlora

Wow! I see the names totally differently!
[name_f]Tessa[/name_f] - Not exactly this image, but I picture a warm forest with some flowers. Some dirt, large trees, a few flowers. Maybe a small pond. Pathway Through The Beechwood And Bluebells Stock Photo - Download Image Now - Backgrounds, Beauty In Nature, Beech Tree - iStock

[name_f]Greta[/name_f] - Much more [name_u]Christmas[/name_u]-y to me!Christmas Tree And Gifts On Background Of Burning Fireplace Stock Photo - Download Image Now - iStock

[name_f]Flora[/name_f] - A spring day. Late april. A small, intimate garden. A fountain with a bird in it.Arrival Of The Bees Stock Photo - Download Image Now - Beauty In Nature, Bee, Blossom - iStock

[name_f]Viola[/name_f] -This is [name_f]Viola[/name_f]. She’s getting ready to perform in the winter concert at her school. She’s the only second grader who got a solo and she is so proud. [name_f]Viola[/name_f] is late fall, this time of year actually. Not nature-y, much more musical. Maybe a train passing through the country side, but a bit more modern. Like an express train. Little Girl With Violin Stock Photo - Download Image Now - Adult, Art, Artist - iStock Appenzeller Bahnen Red Train In Beautiful Swiss Winter View Stock Photo - Download Image Now - iStock

[name_f]Kayla[/name_f] - A child jumping off the dock at an old cottage into a lake. It’s dawn. Not this girl, but you get the idea. Jump Stock Photo - Download Image Now - Ontario - Canada, Child, Jumping - iStock
Or maybe this People Buying Ice Cream Stock Photo - Download Image Now - Candy, Candy Store, City - iStock

[name_f]Clara[/name_f] - this is definitely [name_f]Clara[/name_f] (to me at least). Kanal Slovenia Stock Photo - Download Image Now - Bell Tower - Tower, Canal, Catholicism - iStock

Haha that was fun!