Clementine - help!

So I’m hopelessly in love with the name [name]Clementine[/name], nick name [name]Emmy[/name]. I’ve got the combo’s [name]Clementine[/name] [name]Lily[/name] and [name]Clementine[/name] [name]Jane[/name] on my list that I’m trying to decide between… My biggest issue is that my partner is not loving [name]Clementine[/name] :frowning: He seems to think of it in the same way as naming your child “orange”. Does [name]Clementine[/name] make you berries all think of oranges? Is there any way you think I could bring up the possibility of someday using [name]Clementine[/name] on a child to make him think less of food? I wont even lie when I first heard the name I wasn’t a fan, but its really grown on me the more I hear it.

So theres my two questions :slight_smile: [name]Clementine[/name] [name]Lily[/name] vs [name]Clementine[/name] [name]Jane[/name]? And is [name]Clementine[/name] too orangey?

Thanks so much!

I prefer [name]Clementine[/name] [name]Jane[/name] because I feel like [name]Clementine[/name] [name]Lily[/name] is a bit too much nature altogether. I like the solid middle name that firmly in traditional naming territory.

[name]Clementine[/name] mostly reminds me of the movie “The [name]Eternal[/name] [name]Sunshine[/name] of the Spotless Mind” but also I like of it as the female version of [name]Clement[/name]. So in a way, it is a virtue name for [name]Clemency[/name]. Perhaps, a small fraction of my mind thinks of the clementine fruit, but I love them. I look forward to buying them every [name]Christmas[/name] so it’s not a problem for me.

I like the name [name]Clementine[/name]!

I think that for middle names, you should go back to the drawing board. [name]Clementine[/name] [name]Lily[/name] is a bit too much nature and [name]Clementine[/name] [name]Jane[/name] reminds me of Calamity [name]Jane[/name]. If I had to choose one of those middle names, I’d go with [name]Jane[/name] though!

I love the name [name]Clementine[/name]! I really don’t associate the name with the fruit any more, now that I’ve been aware of the name for a while. I was just like you were - I didn’t love the name at first, but once I considered it the name grew on me instantly. I love [name]Clementine[/name] [name]Jane[/name]. I agree with the above poster - [name]Clementine[/name] [name]Lily[/name] would be too much nature for me. I quite like the balance of [name]Clementine[/name] [name]Jane[/name], too.

[name]Clement[/name] and [name]Clementine[/name] are in my boyfriend’s family tree, and i would love to use [name]Clementine[/name]. I like your nn choice too, as my best friend is named [name]Emily[/name]. [name]Ah[/name] im in love with that :slight_smile:
agree that jane works better than the nature [name]Lilly[/name], but that it does sound a little like calamity jane. I like a one syllable, no nonsense middle with [name]Clementine[/name]. What about any of the other names on the thread about [name]Little[/name] [name]Black[/name] Dress names? ([name]Don[/name]'t have a link for it but you can do a search).
No idea how to get the man on the same page, but i know with mine, he responds to cute, unusual or quirky nicknames. (For example, he hated a name on my long list, [name]Willoughby[/name], until he thought it was like Wallaby, which he thought would be an adorable pet name for a little girl).

I think [name]Clementine[/name] is very cute. I don’t know why, but the name sounds either very southern to me or very british. I like [name]Clementine[/name] [name]Jane[/name] better though. [name]Clementine[/name] [name]Lily[/name] sounds a bit too precious.

Thanks so much!!

Thats a good point about it almost being a virtue name, being so close to [name]Clement[/name] and [name]Clemency[/name] :slight_smile: And I’ll have to watch that The [name]Eternal[/name] [name]Sunshine[/name] of The Spotless Mind then to get another association of the name! Hehe I do love eating clementines… so yummy <3 I agree Clementine Lily is very much naturey, but I almost like that I suppose. But I do love solid Jane <3

I guess Calamity Jane and Clementine Jane do sound similar… but not horribly so, I don’t think? Maybe… I like Jane a lot also because my partners grandmother is named Jade and its so close to her name that it could almost pass as honoring? I thought of Clementine Jade to honor her as well, but I don’t love Jade in general plus it doesn’t suit Clementine well :frowning:

It really does grow on you the more you consider it as a name, huh Dree? I was watching a movie called 17 Girls (kinda dumb video, but I was bored enough to watch a little bit) and hearing a girl called Clementine just really made it feel like an actual name!

anotherkate, I’m glad you like my nick name option! My friend came up with it for me, actually! Along with Tiny, Lem, or CJ (for Clementine Jane) though I’m not huge on CJ. So cute that the name has so much honoring potential for you!! My partners favorite name is Emily / Emma so I was hoping it might make him like it more. I never saw the Little Black Dress names thread :frowning: But I do agree Clementine needs a shorter middle name! Especially as our surnames three syllables :confused: Aw thats cute of your man though!! Yeah mine likes mainstream and even dated names (Avery, Nicole, Whitney, Aria, etc…) but I like classics or old fashioned, so we always clash :frowning: We are PERFECT on boys names and like the same ones, but never girls haha. I don’t wanna scare him off before I get pregnant, but the day we find out we’re having a girl I’ll be like “Yay we’re having a Clementine!” and he’ll be like oh man… :stuck_out_tongue:

I love [name]Clementine[/name] [name]Jane[/name], I wasn’t aware of [name]Clementine[/name] oranges until the past few years, I still solely associate the name with the old song that first brought the name to me. I love it!

Hehe, oh my darling, [name]Clementine[/name]? :slight_smile: I feel like thats a cute association as well! :slight_smile: I didn’t actually grow up on Clementines either. They are fairly new to me <3

[name]Clementine[/name] [name]Jane[/name] sounds WAAAY too close to Calamity [name]Jane[/name] for me to like it.

[name]Clementine[/name] [name]Jane[/name]=Calamity [name]Jane[/name]
[name]Clementine[/name] [name]Lily[/name]=lacks flow

Suggestions:
[name]Clementine[/name] [name]Liora[/name]
[name]Clementine[/name] [name]Mae[/name] nn. [name]Emmy[/name] [name]Mae[/name]
[name]Clementine[/name] [name]Paige[/name]
[name]Clementine[/name] [name]Sage[/name]
[name]Clementine[/name] [name]Tess[/name]

I think of [name]Clementine[/name] as the female equivalent of [name]Clement[/name] before I think of the fruit. It does remind me of the south too. [name]Don[/name]'t know why.

I’ve never associated it with the fruit. I think of the song first, and then the idea of mercy.

[name]How[/name] about instead of [name]Clementine[/name] [name]Jane[/name] using [name]Clementine[/name] [name]Joan[/name] or [name]Clementine[/name] [name]June[/name]?

I don’t associate [name]Clementine[/name] with the fruit…since I never had them growing up. [name]Clementine[/name] [name]Jane[/name] is a lovely combo!
If your husband doesn’t like this name how about [name]Clemence[/name] as an alternative.

I like [name]Clementine[/name] [name]Jane[/name] best because [name]Clementine[/name] [name]Lily[/name] sounds too wordy/naturey.
I really didn’t like [name]Clementine[/name] when I first saw it but it grew on me. [name]Clementine[/name] actually means “mercy” in French. I think if you read up on the history you might be able to sway your partners opinion.

I love [name]Clementine[/name]! But I guess I always prefer [name]Clemency[/name] nn [name]Clea[/name]/[name]Lea[/name] (as you can see it’s on my personal list). It is my favourite virtue name for all the time.
I do not think about orange at all, I don’t even 100% understand the connection.
[name]Clementine[/name] is so pretty, elegant and classic. From your list, I prefer [name]Clementine[/name] [name]Jane[/name]. with [name]Lily[/name] it is cuter, but kinda heavy with L sound.

irmgard+theodorian, thanks for the suggestions! [name]Mae[/name] is pretty, also has family ties for me. But I don’t love it. Thanks though!! <3

smooshaloo, Clementine June is absolutely beautiful!! I really love it! :slight_smile: I know my partners not a fan of June, but it has much personal meaning to me. Plus its gorgeous <3 Thanks!

isabellemarie, I think my partner would feel equally about Clemence as he would Clementine, but its a nice idea.

polka, I’ll have to read up on its meaning and all! I knew what Clemency meant and all, but I never before associated it to Clemency until this topic! I think thats such a nice meaning and all… got some researching to do now! :smiley:

c@29, I think this has to be my favorite virtue name as well! I like Patience as well, but Clementine tops it by a lot <3 Clea / Lea are both cute nick names! <3 I guess theres just the type of orange named Clementine (darn whoever did so! :wink: ). They’re fairly popular lately I feel like, probably why my partner thinks of them.

Thanks everybody for you input!! I really do appreciate it!!

Then it reminds me to my own name, Angelina, which is used for a fungus’ name. Sad…
But no one ever point out that connection (because who knows about it?) Angelina is always the angelic name, meaning messenger. The very same rule applies to Clementine. Clementine will always be the virtue name, not the orange. Tell this to your partner. :wink:

I had no idea [name]Angelina[/name] was used for a fungus name! :open_mouth: I’d never have guessed it, either! I think of [name]Angelina[/name] Ballerina :slight_smile: Hehe, I totally will tell that to him!! I mean, I think our families will think of Clementines only because we do enjoy eating them. But I don’t think everyone will <3 Hehe, thanks for that positive view though! I hope it works!! <3

I love [name]Clementine[/name] [name]Jane[/name], it’s so stylish.

[name]Don[/name]'t worry about the fruit thing; it was a name first!