Cousins names influence?

Most of you know that my top two boys names are [name]Charles[/name] and [name]Everett[/name].

DH and I were talking yesterday and I have a new concern about [name]Everett[/name] and it makes me a little afraid I can’t use it!

My family is VERY close (we all live within a few miles and see eachother a LOT) and two of my cousins have sons named [name]Evan[/name] and [name]Garrett[/name].

Would it be weird if we named our son [name]Everett[/name]? Would it make it better if we called him Rett most of the time?

Aw jeeze, that sucks. I wish that I could say it’s not a big deal and to go for it, because I really, really love [name]Everett[/name]. It’s a shame that [name]Everett[/name] is pretty much a combination of the two boys names. [name]Just[/name] calling him Rett would help if it were just him and [name]Evan[/name], but [name]Garrett[/name] and Rett would be pretty confusing. Are they close in age? If they’re quite a bit older it wouldn’t be such a big deal, but if they’re close, I don’t think I would do it. I really do hate to say that, because I really love [name]Everett[/name]. I’m a stickler on this though ([name]Audrey[/name] is one of my favorite names, and it’s not even on my list because it’s my niece’s middle name), so maybe it’s not such a big deal to you.

[name]Garrett[/name] is almost 4 and [name]Evan[/name] is 1.

I am the youngest of all the cousins (13) and thus there are many kids around already… [name]Evan[/name], [name]Isaak[/name], [name]Garrett[/name], [name]Joey[/name], [name]James[/name] [name]Bowen[/name] ([name]Bo[/name]), [name]Tyler[/name], [name]Christopher[/name], [name]Elizabeth[/name], [name]Maya[/name], [name]Leah[/name], [name]Ashley[/name], [name]Marissa[/name], just to name a few of the younger ones.

Between [name]Rowan[/name] and [name]Everett[/name] I am beginning to think all my names are useless due to family names being too close! Argh!

[name]Charles[/name] is one of my very favorite names so I would choose that. I remember what your last name is, and I think [name]Charles[/name] and [name]Charlie[/name] go nicely with it. My very favorite name is [name]Peter[/name], and I remember that you like that name a lot, too. But it doesn’t go with your last name. So [name]Charles[/name] is a lovely choice considering that [name]Everett[/name] would be too similar to your nephews’ names. These are my fave names for boys: [name]Peter[/name], [name]Philip[/name], [name]Thomas[/name], [name]Charles[/name], [name]William[/name] and [name]Andrew[/name], but [name]Andrew[/name] is pretty overused. Still I really love it. Also [name]Nicholas[/name] is great with nns [name]Nico[/name], [name]Colin[/name], [name]Cole[/name], and [name]Nick[/name]. I also love [name]Alexander[/name], but it’s really overused.

Thanks [name]Susan[/name]. We do like similar names (good memory!!). I love [name]Peter[/name], [name]Phillip[/name], [name]Charles[/name] and [name]James[/name] but the only one of those I can use is [name]Charles[/name]! I also really like [name]Alexander[/name] nn [name]Alec[/name] but I want to save [name]Alexandra[/name] nn [name]Andie[/name] for a girl.

Well it looks like if this one is a boy he will likely be [name]Charles[/name]/[name]Charlie[/name] then! Unless the hormones take over and I come up with something new!

So much for Rett and [name]Remi[/name]… But I think [name]Charlie[/name] and [name]Andie[/name] make a great sib set, don’t you?

Okay, I am probably in the minority here, but I think it would be fine if you used [name]Everett[/name]. It is not like it is the same name as one of them. It just combines the two names. Personally, I do think the Rett nn helps as long as [name]Garrett[/name] does not go by the same nn. Plus, your child will have a different middle name. [name]Do[/name] they all have the same last name?

I think I would hesitate more if the children belong to one of your siblings. Not sure why as I know some cousins are close enough to be like sisters and brothers, but for me it is just something about letting my own sibling have the name they picked out without any sort of overlap.

That being said, I know two different families who have used the exact same name (first and middle) for cousins, second cousins etc. I think that is a bit odd as there are so many wonderful names out there. However, it was a family name thing.
In your case, though, it would be a different name.

To sum this up as I know I am rambling, I say go for [name]Everett[/name] if it is absolutely the favorite for you and your husband. If not, [name]Charles[/name] is an awesome name and you would not have any overlap there.

I just hate it for you that you have two names, [name]Rowan[/name] and [name]Everett[/name], that you even have to think twice about! The good news is that I have seen some of your other choices and they are great names as well.

I cannot wait to hear what you decide and whether or not you are having a girl, boy or twins! Congrats again!

Thanks [name]Kelly[/name]!

They all three have different last names… So yes that does help.

I think if I get serious about it and we are having a boy I might just get family reactions and go from there.

I do love [name]Everett[/name]! And though it goes back and forth with [name]Charles[/name] as my number one, I kind of like the idea of having two names to pick from once I have the baby.

I have some time… It just hit me last night and when I asked DH if that was weird, he said yes kind of… Ugh!

[name]Hi[/name] [name]Erin[/name],

I’m sorry your naming fun has taken a hit with the whole cousins thing, but like [name]Kelly[/name], this personally wouldn’t stop me from using [name]Everett[/name]. [name]Evan[/name] is close, but it’s not [name]Everett[/name], and [name]Garrett[/name], while close, isn’t [name]Everett[/name], either. It’s not as though they have a son named [name]Everett[/name], and you want to “steal” the name, you know?

That said, if it bothers you and your family, I’d go with [name]Charles[/name] [name]Everett[/name], and equally awesome name! :slight_smile:

([name]Don[/name]'t worry…everything will work out for the best.) :slight_smile:

Thanks [name]Jill[/name] :slight_smile:

I have reported the above post to Nameberry.

Lol. I seem to be under attack! And kind of out of no where as I haven’t even been posting much lately!

Thanks [name]Susan[/name]!

Ps: I do love though that I am actually a grown woman expecting a baby and some how a 16 year old is questioning my authority to post on this website? Hmmmm…

Wow. What did she do? Go find all your old posts (that have nothing to do with her) and pretend that somehow you are the idiot? I have a feeling she’s younger than 16, so sensitive.

What do you mean [name]Navi[/name]? I hope that was an (off-colour) joke about [name]Erin[/name]
purple? Have I missed something again?

What do you mean, [name]Navi[/name]? I am confused. Are you trying to joke here?

No, apparently, it was not some joke and other people are angry about it too.

TAKE NO NOTICE Erinpurple. I am glad [name]Susan[/name] reported this straight away. This forum is not a place to be horrible to people, we are meant to support each other after all.

I am very cross about this.

[name]Ailsa[/name]

To get back to the original post - both [name]Charles[/name] and [name]Everett[/name] are absolutely gorgeous, so either way your little boy will end up with a lovely name! I think you could still use [name]Everett[/name] despite your cousins, as it is not that they have already used [name]Everett[/name], and if you will be calling him [name]Rhett[/name] (which I think is very nice, by the way) then I don’t think it will be a problem at all. Good luck!

To navi : Erinpurple is obviously not illiterate, as she is posting on this website, which means that she can both read and write. (Also, illiteracy should not be used as an insult - it is a very real problem that people still manage to leave school illiterate in this day and age, and should be treated sensitively as it makes life very difficult for those people suffering from it.)
Neither is she, obviously, a fool, as she has impeccable taste in names and her posts are well-written, grammatically correct etc.
Erinpurple is also interested in names, which automatically means she has ‘business’ posting on this site. So there sticks tongue out childishly.

Lol, Twinkle.

awww thanks [name]Ailsa[/name]… its FINE :slight_smile:

:))))))))))))))) lol twink!!!

Yes, nameberry was is not just a website where expecting parents and namelovers come for advice, but it is also a loving community. If you feel the need to make an argument, please do so as an adult and maintain politeness. There is no need to insult anyone and call them names. The members of nameberry do not appreciate being insulted and I can assure you that [name]Pam[/name] and [name]Linda[/name] certainly do not appreciate anyone harassing anyone. So please keep all comments clean and polite.