Croatian nature names

Hello, lovely Berries!

My first post on NB was a post about Croatian names that deserve more love way back in April. Wow, how the time flies!

Ever since, I’ve been compiling a list of Croatian nature names, and I finally have a list of all I could find/think of.

Without further ado, here are the names:

Masculine

Neven - the word for marigold

Mak - the word for poppy

Anis - the word for the plant of anise

Jasmin - the word for the flower of jasmine

Narcis - the word for the flower narcissus (I believe it’s also called daffodil?)

Zvjezdan - comes form the word for star (zvijezda), another variant is Zvizdan

Javor - the word for maple tree

Jadran - Croatian version of Adrian

Cvjetko - comes from the word for flower (cvijet)

Orsat - Croatian variant of Orso, meaning “bear”

Val - the word for wave

Lav - the word for lion

Zoran - masculine version of Zora

Feminine

Dunja - the word for quince

Cvijeta and Cvita - come from the word for flower (cvijet)

Iva - the word for willow

Mirta - the word for the plant myrtle

Zora - the word for dawn, diminutive is Zorica

Sunčica and Sunčana - come from the word for sun (sunce)

Zvjezdana - comes form the word for star (zvijezda)

Snježana - comes from the word for snow (snijeg)

Iskra - the word for spark

Ljiljana - comes from the word for lily (ljiljan), a diminutive is Ljilja

Đurđica - the word for lily of the valley

Smiljana - comes from the word for catsfoot/everlasting (smilje)

Nevenka - feminine form of Neven, diminutive is Neva

Jasmina - feminine form of Jasmin

Ruža - word for rose, its diminutive is Ružica

Ivančica - the word for daisy

Danica - the word for morning star

Jela - the word for fir tree

Jelena - Croatian version of Yelena, could also come from the word for stag or deer (jelen)
I might come back to add a few more if I think of any, but this is more or less it. I hope you will enjoy this list!

20 Likes

[name_f]Beautiful[/name_f] names! I love [name_m]Neven[/name_m], Jadran, and [name_u]Val[/name_u] from the masculine names, and [name_f]Zora[/name_f], [name_f]Iskra[/name_f], Nevenka, and [name_f]Jasmina[/name_f] for the girls!

I’ve met boys called [name_u]Val[/name_u] and [name_f]Jasmin[/name_f] in the US, I never knew they were Croatian names before!

1 Like

Ooo beautiful names!! [name_f]My[/name_f] favorites are [name_f]Iva[/name_f], Neven/Nevenka, [name_f]Iskra[/name_f], Ruža (my grandmas name haha), [name_f]Zora[/name_f], & Lav. I saw that a lot of names listed are the same as Serbian names too, which is super cool that we share some names!!

1 Like

Wow, these are all so beautiful! Thank you for sharing!

1 Like

Oh my goodness I love these!! Thank you so much for sharing :yellow_heart:

[name_f]My[/name_f] favorites are [name_m]Neven[/name_m], Orsat, [name_u]Val[/name_u], [name_f]Dunja[/name_f], Cvita, [name_f]Iva[/name_f], Mirta, [name_f]Zora[/name_f], and [name_f]Iskra[/name_f]!

1 Like

@EagleEyes that’s so cool that you’ve met a [name_f]Jasmin[/name_f]! Personally I only know of one and he is a well-known singer here.

@lumianim yes, because of our history and culture we do share a lot of names! That’s so cool your grandma’s name is Ruža, my grandma is [name_f]Iva[/name_f]!

I’m glad you all are liking this list!

2 Likes

so in love with ljiljana & ljilja! i am a sucker for a lily name, and ljiljana is just so beautiful!
and mak! wowowow!
thank you so much for sharing these!

I’m so glad you like these! I do appreaciate Ljiljana but it is a bit dated here, but Mak is currently on the rise (it’s already quite popular in Slovenia)!

1 Like

What a cool list!!

I love [name_m]Neven[/name_m], Mak, [name_m]Javon[/name_m], Mirta, [name_f]Zora[/name_f], and Ruza!!

1 Like

[name_m]Zoran[/name_m], Ivančica, [name_f]Danica[/name_f], Jela and [name_f]Jelena[/name_f] have been added!

These names are so pretty! I love [name_m]Neven[/name_m], [name_m]Zoran[/name_m], [name_f]Iva[/name_f], and [name_f]Zora[/name_f] :two_hearts: