Crushing on girls names again - your thoughts?

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] everyone,

I’ve been crushing on some girls names lately. I would like to have your thoughts on each name. Also, which of these names could work as a little sister to our first born, [name_m]Bastien[/name_m] [name_m]Alexander[/name_m]. TIA!

[name_f]Eve[/name_f]: I love that it’s short, sweet, and feminine at the same time. It’s classic, but not too popular. Soundwise, I think it goes well with [name_m]Bastien[/name_m].

[name_u]Cleo[/name_u]: short, stylish and unique! Feels chic, but still down to earth. Like [name_m]Bastien[/name_m], it’s not a common name, but it doesn’t feel unusual either (thanks to [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] and Chloe).

[name_f]Clara[/name_f]: classy, feminine, international. I love the Nutcracker reference. [name_m]Bastien[/name_m] was a character in one of Mozart’s opera, so the sibset would have names associated with classical music.

[name_f]Estelle[/name_f]: I love the meaning, plus it has this romantic feel. I could picture both [name_m]Bastien[/name_m] and [name_f]Estelle[/name_f] as the names of heroes from a fantasy legend.

5 Likes

[name_f]Eve[/name_f] is gorgeous. I love its elegance yet simplicity and warm, melodic sound. [name_f]Eve[/name_f] and [name_m]Bastien[/name_m] sound lovely together.

[name_u]Cleo[/name_u] is my favourite from your list. It’s short, sweet, and chic! I like it with [name_m]Bastien[/name_m].

[name_f]Clara[/name_f] is a wonderful classic, versatile and sweet. A wonderful sister option for [name_m]Bastien[/name_m].

[name_f]Estelle[/name_f] is elegant and light. I think she would make a brilliant sister name for [name_m]Bastien[/name_m] - probably my favourite sibling option on this list.

1 Like

[name_f]Eve[/name_f] is a name I’ve always admired, and I think it can suit many different personalities. Also very nice along with [name_m]Bastien[/name_m].

[name_u]Cleo[/name_u] is just okay for me. It’s a nice name, but doesn’t wow me.

[name_f]Clara[/name_f] is very sweet and I think the classical music tie-in is fantastic (we have a semi-unintentional music theme with our future-child picks, too)

[name_f]Estelle[/name_f] is beautiful and an underrated gem in my opinion. I wish I knew more of them!

I think [name_f]Clara[/name_f] is my favorite pick as a sister for [name_m]Bastien[/name_m], followed by [name_f]Estelle[/name_f] & [name_f]Eve[/name_f] in a tie.

1 Like

@planetnames and @handlion thank you both for your detailed feedback!

The only name I dislike on your list is [name_u]Cleo[/name_u]. The other three are all gorgeous, and go nicely with [name_m]Bastien[/name_m].

In order of preference:
[name_f]Eve[/name_f] - really love this. Simple yet striking.
[name_f]Estelle[/name_f]- romantic and underused
[name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_f]Estella[/name_f] too.
[name_f]Clara[/name_f] - very pretty. [name_m]Just[/name_m] more common., But always classic.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

What a delightful list!! All go wonderfully with your son’s lovely name.

Eve: Eve ia elegant and sophsiticated and packs a lot of punch for a little name

Cleo: one of my favourites! Bright, bubbly and fresh with a earthy, refined feel!

Clara: so clear and bright and lovely

Estelle: so elegant, pretty and stylish. I love the meaning too and can see that mystical vibe with Bastien

2 Likes

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] there.

[name_m]Bastien[/name_m] [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] is just :heart_eyes: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:.

Here are my thoughts on the crushes:

Eve-Eve is so lovely. It’s elegant & simple & a bit pixie-ish. It’s not very popular & goes well w/Bastien. If we’re looking for anything to knit-pick here, I’d say that ‘Evie/Evvie’ is so over done. They’re mostly Evelyns or Everlys, but a tad close for comfort if you’re really worried about realistic popularity.

Cleo-I go back & forth on this. Some days I like it, but it feels too short. I love the name [name_f]Clementine[/name_f], & feel like [name_f]Clementine[/name_f] nn [name_u]Cleo[/name_u] feels more complete.

Clara-I adore [name_f]Clara[/name_f]. It’s a tad more common, but I don’t care. It feels so lovable & classic.

Estelle-Ooh, yeah. This is romantic & classy. I slightly prefer [name_f]Estella[/name_f]. [name_m]Even[/name_m] more romantic!

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps. :slight_smile:

1 Like

With [name_m]Bastien[/name_m] I think my favourite is Estelle!! I love all these names ! They are so dreamy !

1 Like

I adore your son’s name!

[name_f]Clara[/name_f] is my top pick both generally and for a sibling to [name_m]Bastien[/name_m]. It’s sophisticated and international like [name_m]Bastien[/name_m] is and the two of them make such an elegant, seamless pairing.

[name_f]My[/name_f] second choice would be [name_f]Eve[/name_f], which has the same refined feel to it that both [name_m]Bastien[/name_m] and [name_f]Clara[/name_f] have.

In terms of the other two: [name_u]Cleo[/name_u] is nice and adds a bohemian element to the sibset that I like. I can’t say I like [name_f]Estelle[/name_f] though. It doesn’t feel fresh like [name_m]Bastien[/name_m] does - it almost feels a bit frumpy to me - but that’s just my personal take on it. [name_f]My[/name_f] image of it is probably a bit affected by [name_u]George[/name_u] Costanza’s mother in Seinfeld!

1 Like

@Camelia You haven’t made this easy with your gorgeous choices, have you?

[name_f]Eve[/name_f] - my favourite name which should be done deal as to my preference, however - While it does sound nice with [name_m]Bastien[/name_m], I can’t help but feel a slightly longer syllable count might work better? A gorgeous, gorgeous choice though, and yes I am definitely biased.

[name_u]Cleo[/name_u] - Another lovely choice which is also on my list. I love how spunky this is, and how unusual an -o ending is for girl’s names. So it manages to be both fresh and classic. I think it’s the one that contrasts most with [name_m]Bastien[/name_m] stylistically, which definitely doesn’t have to be a bad thing - [name_m]Bastien[/name_m] has very romantic, almost feminine energy, and [name_u]Cleo[/name_u] brings some punch as a counterpoint.

[name_f]Clara[/name_f] - another one of my favourites, also on my list. I think this is probably the one best suited to [name_m]Bastien[/name_m] stylistically. [name_m]Classic[/name_m], romantic, it ticks all the boxes. Together they make a very middle class sibset, whether or not you find this a good thing is up to you.

[name_f]Estelle[/name_f] - the only one that isn’t on my list. I’m not a huge fan, however - I love the starry meaning, and I think the names are extremely well-matched for romance. I agree with other pps that I prefer [name_f]Estella[/name_f], or [name_f]Stella[/name_f].

This is really hard, but i think I’m ultimately going to go with [name_u]Cleo[/name_u]. I love the counterpoint it provides to [name_m]Bastien[/name_m] whilst still complementing it, and it brings a sparky zest to the sibset without losing the classic / literary feel. Names of Ancient Greek origin are great for achieving that balance between fresh and classic. You really can’t go wrong though, I don’t envy you choosing between these - one of the best final lists I’ve seen on here, you have sublime taste. Best of luck.

1 Like

[name_f]Eve[/name_f] - I have loved [name_f]Eve[/name_f] for a long time which I think reflects the positives going for her and the appeal does not diminish. I agree with all that has been said already. [name_m]Just[/name_m] wonderfully stylish and I particularly like [name_f]Eve[/name_f] with long surname… there’s a lovely balance. (not sure if that’s you) :slightly_smiling_face: Most people like [name_f]Eve[/name_f] whereas [name_u]Cleo[/name_u], I find, is loved or not.
[name_u]Cleo[/name_u] - has been on my special list always, a very personal choice - I thought my daughter would have been [name_u]Cleo[/name_u] (father’s!) In my mind she’s a short version of [name_f]Cleopatra[/name_f] which adds to the appeal.
[name_f]Clara[/name_f] - I’m sorry I don’t like [name_f]Clara[/name_f] -I am not sure why.
[name_f]Estelle[/name_f] (and Estella) I like both. [name_f]Lovely[/name_f] sounds. While [name_f]Estelle[/name_f] has history and seems quite classic to me, I don’t think she’s overpowered by association so giving room for individuality as compared to e.g. Catherine/ [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f]
[name_m]Bastien[/name_m] is splendid. Best wishes.
Edited to add my choice of course would be [name_u]Cleo[/name_u], with [name_f]Estelle[/name_f] next.

2 Likes

You have a fabulous list!

[name_f]Eve[/name_f] ~ I love [name_f]Eve[/name_f]! She’s sweet understated classic that is timeless. I have [name_f]Eve[/name_f] [name_f]Leonora[/name_f] [name_f]Primrose[/name_f] on my list and it’s a name that makes me swoon. [name_m]Bastien[/name_m] & [name_f]Eve[/name_f] would be lovely.

[name_u]Cleo[/name_u] ~ it’s a short spunky name that feels fun & energetic. I think it works with [name_m]Bastien[/name_m] but not as well as your other choices

[name_f]Clara[/name_f] ~ I adore absolutely love [name_f]Clara[/name_f] (pronounced KLAA rah rather than [name_u]Clare[/name_u] uh) is such a wonderful name I really want to use this name if I’m ever blessed with another daughter. [name_m]Bastien[/name_m] & [name_f]Clara[/name_f] are beautiful with a lovely European flair

[name_f]Estelle[/name_f] ~ this name has really grown on me I think [name_f]Estelle[/name_f] is sophisticated and elegant working very well with [name_m]Bastien[/name_m].

[name_f]My[/name_f] favourite are [name_f]Clara[/name_f] & [name_f]Eve[/name_f] :two_hearts:

I know you haven’t asked for suggestions but had to put forward [name_f]Clemency[/name_f], [name_u]Alba[/name_u] & [name_f]Delphine[/name_f].

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helped

3 Likes

Eve’s my runaway favorite! So mysterious, elegant, and eternal, I absolutely adore it with the ever brave and handsome, [name_m]Bastien[/name_m] [name_m]Alexander[/name_m]!

[name_f]Clara[/name_f] I only like when it’s pronounced “Clare-uh.” I don’t like the “Klar-uh” pronunciation. Therefore, the ambiguity over pronunciation would dissuade me. Regardless, the Nutcracker association is so enchanting! :sparkles:Clara’s a twinkling vintage name, perfect for romantic ballads :rose:

[name_u]Cleo[/name_u] oozes European elegance and quirkiness, but it’s not beautiful to me. More chic and international!

[name_f]Estelle[/name_f] is kind of frumpy, but still maintains a soft starriness to it. On the whole, I prefer [name_f]Stella[/name_f].

All of those names go well with the cloud-sailing, heroic, fantastical, yet still very much human, [name_m]Bastien[/name_m] [name_m]Alexander[/name_m].

2 Likes

Huge thanks to everyone! I am so happy to see these four names get some love. Thanks also for the positive comments on Bastien Alexander! Most of you mentioned that all four names can all work with big brother Bastien (I am delighted). Many suggested Estella instead of Estelle. I like Estella too, but since I have a friend named Stella, I will stick to Estelle.

@handlion the classical music tie-in is definitely growing on me!

@TDFM I get what you mean about Estelle feeling frumpy. Most of the time, this name feels elegant and romantic to me, but sometimes, it just feels old. I have the same issue with Adele.

@Lula-Rose thank you for your very detailed answer :heart_eyes: It just made me love each name even more!

@tori101 Thank you for you suggestions! Delphine was on our list a couple of years ago, and it is still a middle name option. If I had two daughters today, I would probably name them Eve Delphine and Clara Juliette :heart:

It really is a tough choice, but we have time since this is just hypothetical for now. I can’t wait to see which name(s) will grow on us over the time. Reading your comments, I realize that Eve and Clara are my favorites for now. For my husband, it is Cleo and Eve.

3 Likes

HB [name_u]Cleo[/name_u] [name_f]Estelle[/name_f]?

2 Likes

I love all of these for you! I think my favorite with [name_m]Bastien[/name_m] is [name_f]Estelle[/name_f], they look wonderful together and have exactly the same vibe to me. I also love [name_f]Eve[/name_f] and [name_f]Clara[/name_f] with [name_m]Bastien[/name_m], I think [name_u]Cleo[/name_u] would be my least favorite of the three but I don’t dislike it by any stretch.
I think that [name_f]Clara[/name_f] [name_f]Estelle[/name_f] or [name_f]Clara[/name_f] [name_f]Eve[/name_f] would be a beautiful combo, [name_f]Estella[/name_f] [name_f]Clara[/name_f] would also be a phenomenal choice :slight_smile:

2 Likes

[name_u]Cleo[/name_u] [name_f]Estelle[/name_f] is so delightful!! [name_u]Bright[/name_u], cheerful and stylish!!

3 Likes

Thank you! Sorry, didn’t mean to tag you! I was using the phone version of this website, and need I say more…

1 Like

I just had to comment & say I love [name_f]Eve[/name_f] [name_f]Delphine[/name_f] & [name_f]Clara[/name_f] [name_f]Juliette[/name_f] so gorgeous :purple_heart:

2 Likes

@Little_Molly [name_u]Cleo[/name_u] [name_f]Estelle[/name_f] is going straight to my favorite combos :heart_eyes:

@SarahMeganC1 [name_f]Clara[/name_f] [name_f]Eve[/name_f] is stunning, I’m adding it to my list!

2 Likes