Database entries you’d like to see amended

I think the description for Nashua could be changed a bit. Currently it says

I think we can ditch the last bit:

2 Likes

[name_m]Just[/name_m] wanted to pop in as I’ve seen some Maori names listed incorrectly, or names listed incorrectly as Maori.

• [name_f]Kirrily[/name_f] is not a Maori name - we don’t have the letter’s L or Y in our alphabet - Maori and Aboriginal people are very different!
  • [name_f]Aroha[/name_f] - Ah-RO-ha, not Ah-ROE-ha, many [name_f]English[/name_f] speakers pronounce it Ah-ROE-ha but this is incorrect.
  • [name_f]Ngaio[/name_f] - this is a tricky one - not pronounced NYE-oh, but might be close enough for [name_f]English[/name_f] speakers. ‘Ng’ is as in ‘siNGer’. Ng-i-oh, might be more accurate.
  • [name_f]Nyree[/name_f] - again, not a Maori name - [name_f]Ngaire[/name_f] is correct, it has a slightly different pronunciation though.
  • [name_f]Maata[/name_f] and [name_m]Maaka[/name_m] - are sometimes used as loan names but instead of a double ‘a’ we would use an accent, Māta - [name_f]Martha[/name_f], and Māka - Mark.
  • [name_u]Kai[/name_u] - not a name that we would use - [name_u]Kai[/name_u] means food, or to eat, good that this is acknowledged in the name description, but good to note that Maori may not find [name_u]Kai[/name_u] appropriate as a given name.

[name_f]Kia[/name_f] ora!

8 Likes

The description for [name_f]Ibby[/name_f] says this:

“Sounds a bit baby talk – itty bitty [name_f]Ibby[/name_f] – but [name_u]Issy[/name_u] isn’t much better.”

1 Like

Not an entry, but I wasn’t sure where to put this!

I found a broken article - Photography Names Are Picture-Perfect | Nameberry

I definitely could have been more clear.
The ‘o’ in Maori is always pronounced like the o sound in ‘Your’ or ‘Pour’, never like as in ‘Row’ or ‘Toe’.
Maybe ‘Ah-roh-ha’ would make more sense?
Not sure if Youtube links work on here but here’s a traditional song ‘Te Aroha’ so you can hear the pronounciation!

Arohanui (big love!)

1 Like

Was Biddy’s entry supposed to say “Scotland”?

1 Like

I didn’t even know Ritter was used as a given name, but upon checking it out I saw this:

Belittling kind of surname name, with rhymes like critter, fritter, bitter, litter, titter.

That’s just… Wow :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

From the page on [name_f]Kadida[/name_f]:
“Kadida is an Anglicized Muslim or African name used by [name_u]Quincy[/name_u] [name_m]Jones[/name_m] and [name_f]Peggy[/name_f] Lipton for their now-grown daughter.”

[name_u]Quincy[/name_u] and Peggy’s daughter is actually named Kidada, not [name_f]Kadida[/name_f].

3 Likes

Not a big issues but on the page for Clinton

You list Hillary Clinton and Former First Lady as two separate notable people.

These are both the same person:

4 Likes

I think the entry for Spirit could be worded a bit differently.

Spiritual names – Peace, Destiny – are becoming more popular, but this may be taking it too far.”

Maybe it could say something about being similar to Peace and Destiny instead?

3 Likes

The entrance for [name_m]Helios[/name_m] says its origin is Spanish meaning sun. But [name_m]Helios[/name_m] is Greek (meaning sun). And as far as I know the Spanish word for sun is sol.

6 Likes

Oops! The page for [name_m]Helios[/name_m] was actually empty in our database so I’m guessing it must have autofilled with info from a related name. I will correct that now…

4 Likes

The description for [name_f]Ayesha[/name_f] seems unnecessarily negative to me. In some communities, [name_f]Ayesha[/name_f] is the more common spelling.

2 Likes

Rois’ entry says it’s a diminutive of [name_f]Róis[/name_f].

3 Likes

Nasrin – and Nesrin and Nazrin – are popular baby names in modern Iran, Turkey, and Azerbaijan.

Nesrin is a very dated name here (:tr:) and not in the top 100 anymore. Not a popular baby name :slight_smile:

(source: behind the name)

And the other two aren’t used (checked the statistics, there are zero recorded) so the info might be misleading. Maybe omething like:

The Turkish variant, Nesrin, is a well-used name in its native land.

I don’t know their usage in Iran and Azerbaijan so no comment about those :grin:

2 Likes

The boy name [name_u]Asa[/name_u] runs together Hebrew and Japanese on the orgin portion and the meanings as well. It also does this in the first sentence.

Hiya! I just noticed that in the description for [name_u]Zion[/name_u] it says that [name_m]Dwayne[/name_m] [name_u]Wade[/name_u] chose it for his son, but now that she’s actually his daughter and her name is [name_f]Zaya[/name_f] that should probably be removed.

14 Likes

The description for Imelda seems unnecessarily negative to me, especially since the entry for Ferdinand doesn’t even mention Ferdinand Marcos. This name has more positive namesakes and associations which could perhaps be mentioned: Imelda - Wikipedia

3 Likes

The one line description for [name_f]Ellamae[/name_f] was somewhat shocking: “ Proof that one plus one sometimes equals zero.”

9 Likes

The boy page for Laurence needs to be corrected especially when compared to the girl page for Laurence.

For boys it says:

The name Laurence is a boy’s name. Spelling refines but doesn’t update original. Great option, though, for girls.

For girls it says:

The name Laurence is a girl’s name of Latin origin meaning “from Laurentum”. A feminine form in France, this boyish choice could make a fresh alternative to Lauren or Laura – or be an inventive way to honor Grandpa Larry."

I don’t really get why it’s trying to act like Laurence is a name that leans so heavily to girls. Lawrence & Laurence are still used significantly more for boys than girls. Not many babies are being named Laurence, but when you look at the numbers, it still leans heavily to boy. (At least in the US)

There was clearly a bias about these names imposed by whoever wrote these pages. It’s one thing if there actually needs to be a warning, but all the data shows that this is still a perfectly acceptable name for a boy.

Both charts are from Name Nerds.

11 Likes