Database entries you’d like to see amended

Under the name [name_u]Ara[/name_u] it says “Ara was one of the many vowel-heavy three-syllable names popular at the end of the nineteenth century”, but [name_u]Ara[/name_u] is only two syllables.

6 Likes

[name_m]Can[/name_m] Zélie’s entry be changed to include that it’s also a shortened form of Azélie as well as the name which St. [name_f]Zélie[/name_f] (born Marie-Azélie) went by? With her recent canonization, I think it’s picking up some steam among practicing Catholics!

8 Likes

The database entry for [name_f]Caja[/name_f] has no details (origin, meaning, comments etc.). According to the British [name_u]Baby[/name_u] Names website, it’s a modern Cornish vocabulary name meaning “daisy.”

4 Likes

[name_f]Caja[/name_f] is also the word “box” in Spanish, but pronounced “cah-hah”.

3 Likes

I think the database entry for [name_f]Thandie[/name_f] needs to be updated to remove the link to the actress formerly known as [name_f]Thandie[/name_f] [name_m]Newton[/name_m].

She recently announced she is reverting to the original Zimbabwean spelling of her first name, [name_f]Thandiwe[/name_f] (pronounced “tan-DEE-way”).

I would also be inclined to remove “diminutive of Thandiwe” and just say it’s a “Variation of Thandiwe” as you do for other spelling variations.

10 Likes

not sure if this is something to be amended or a name to be added but for bly, i was initially wondering why it wasn’t unisex (it’s only marked for a boy right now, but nellie bly is arguably the most notable association). and then i saw in the description of the name that it even says “for a boy or a girl” ? curious

6 Likes

Myrna’s description is rude: “Myrna [name_m]Loy[/name_m], Mrs. Thin [name_m]Man[/name_m], was lovely – but her name is not.” Considering it’s an international name (Irish), this feels especially inappropriate and close-minded.

8 Likes

Yeah, I like the name [name_f]Myrna[/name_f]! @crabsandquails

1 Like

I’d like to see the description for [name_m]Azrael[/name_m] changed…

“This is the name of [name_u]Angel[/name_u] of Death in Jewish and Muslim tradition, not a great start for an innocent child – or a great role model for a teenager.”

I don’t think the commentary is necessary. Noting the association/origin is fine, of course. Potential parents should know so they can do their own research. But the rest of the sentence seems like an opinion that wasn’t asked for, which isn’t included with other name descriptions.

And I’m pretty sure [name_m]Azriel[/name_m] is a variation of [name_m]Azrael[/name_m], not the other way around… But I could be wrong about that.

4 Likes

It can be changed to something like “it might be considered a [insert negative stuff] by those communities”

1 Like

While it’s still not a name those communities probably want to use, [name_m]Azrael[/name_m] is actually often painted as benevolent and merciful.

I think just saying - “This is the name of [name_u]Angel[/name_u] of Death in Jewish and Muslim tradition.” - is sufficient to warn those who are completely unaware, while not making people feel like they’re setting their kid up to be the unibomber or something (that’s literally what I picture I read the description).

4 Likes

As a former muslim, I can say the image of [name_m]Azrael[/name_m] people have in their heads is more like satan rather than an angel unfortunately. I can’t see anybody around me tolerating it. Especially on a non-Muslim child, since they believe [name_m]Azrael[/name_m] is terrifying and cruel to non-believers. (I don’t know what Jews believe about it, but on the Islamic side that’s it)

I agree that it should be more gentle but it might be useful to mention it’s not really usable.

3 Likes

I’d like to see Annette’s entry updated. I think this name is gorgeous and deserves a description beyond “it’s as passé as the Mouseketeers.”

6 Likes

The description for [name_f]Annistyn[/name_f] is kind of mean.

5 Likes

I think this needs to be changed:

• [name_u]Cass[/name_u] (m) Diminutive of [name_m]Casper[/name_m] etc; "keeper of the treasure"

• [name_u]Cass[/name_u] (f) Diminutive of [name_f]Cassandra[/name_f] or Cassia; "shining or excelling MAN"

Why does the male variation of the name have a meaning while the female variation refers to a man with a completely different meaning altogether?

2 Likes

I think the “Stick with Sascha” can be left off of the entry for [name_f]Nascha[/name_f].

15 Likes

Doesn’t make sense, they have completely different origins, if I were Native American why would I choose a Russian name? :joy:

11 Likes

The only thing I can come up with is the sound of the name and familiarity level. Otherwise, I thought the same thing you did on seeing it.

1 Like

Ugh!! I hope they can change that soon!

1 Like

The capitalization needs to be fixed in the description for Ruta.

The description for Selwyn is rude. It says “Selwyn’s not a wynner.”

Out of curiosity, what sources does Nameberries use for their descriptions?

2 Likes