Database entries you’d like to see amended

As I know (could be wrong), the latter. Seems like someone adores both Aragorn and -Rose names :grin:

1 Like

The entry for [name_f]Rihanna[/name_f] mentions that it’s ranked 830, but the graph shows it hasn’t been on the charts since 2013. (It was last 830 in 2012, so I’m imagining that’s when this post was last updated!)

2 Likes

The perils of mentioning rank numbers in posts!

10 Likes

[name_u]Selby[/name_u] has different meanings between the girl (“manor village”) and boy (“from the willow farm”) entries even though the descriptions for both say it’s a British surname.

From what I can see online, the second meaning (“from the willow farm”) is correct?

6 Likes

[name_u]French[/name_u] words and names generally have their emphasis on the last syllable. So the pronunciation would be sah-lo-MEH.

1 Like

Not a huge issue, but [name_f]Tulsa[/name_f] is only listed as a female name and this pop culture reference isn’t listed, but it was my first introduction to the name - [name_f]Tulsa[/name_f] was the name of [name_m]Elvis[/name_m] Presley’s character in GI [name_m]Blues[/name_m] (1960), he was the male lead in the film :slight_smile:

6 Likes

[name_m]Belvedere[/name_m] has:

“What the spoiled child in a Victorian novel might be named.”

which i’m not sure is totally necessary.

2 Likes

I’m surprised that [name_m]Palace[/name_m] is in the database as a boys name only. I thought it would definitely be there as a girls given its similarity to [name_f]Pallas[/name_f], and also [name_f]Alice[/name_f]. As a word name, it should be unisex though!

3 Likes

[name_f]Yaretzi[/name_f] has an outdated popularity ranking mention in the description. What a gorgeous name :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

6 Likes

[name_u]Kai[/name_u] (m) is missing a meaning and its origin. It is (Germanic) brave with the spear.

1 Like

I know it’s important to Nameberry to keep the snarky voice, but there are some jokes that I don’t understand the reference for, and I believe I’m one of the target audiences for Nameberry (late twenties, American, was recently pregnant). For example, for [name_f]Cathleen[/name_f] the description reads: “Way more unusual, and distinctive, than the now-cliched K version.” When did [name_f]Kathleen[/name_f] become cliched? I don’t understand that reference, but would certainly like to, as a name nerd that detail sounds intriguing

2 Likes

This is not true at all, “snarky” is not the aim. What I said in my previous reply was that the site creators don’t want to get rid of all personal opinion (respectfully stated of course) as that’s part of what sets NB apart from other name sites, which are purely info/data based with no accompanying stylistic commentary.

The C/Kathleen comment I would imagine just refers to the fact that the K spelling has been so much more popular than the C spelling in the US, particularly mid century. I.e. Cathleen is perhaps feeling fresher in 2021 than Kathleen.

6 Likes

Okay, that makes sense. That is what I was referring to, maybe snarky isn’t the correct word for the intended tone, but I do remember that the opinions are part of it and I try to keep that in mind before bringing names to this thread.

For something like [name_m]Rodrigo[/name_m] where it says “rhythmically appealing international spin on the stiff original” is that a commentary on the origin of [name_m]Rodrigo[/name_m], that is comes from the name [name_m]Roderick[/name_m]? [name_u]Or[/name_u] does it mean that the [name_f]English[/name_f] version is the default/original?

1 Like

[name_m]Roderick[/name_m] is a Germanic name by origin, so yes — in this case the Romance language variants derive from it. Obviously not the case for all names which have both an [name_f]English[/name_f] form and other international forms.

1 Like

I’d like to see Lavender’s meaning updated— she not only refers to the color, but also means “to wash”!

“Lavender is a Latin name meaning “to wash”, though is more commonly known for being the name of a soothing herbal plant and being the name of a light purply hue” would be better and more informative, in my opinion.

1 Like

That’s not its exact meaning though, the flower’s name is just possibly derived from the Latin verb for to wash. It no longer has the wash meaning.

3 Likes

When I was researching the name [name_f]Frida[/name_f] I found [name_f]Frieda[/name_f] in the suggested names, and piecing the two name pages together showed a lot of really interesting information. I think it would be awesome to have the bit about [name_f]Frieda[/name_f] being the more common spelling in the previous century on the [name_f]Frida[/name_f] page (it does allude to that now, which is why I knew to read the other page, adding the [name_f]Frieda[/name_f] spelling and some dates might enhance it though)

2 Likes

Less so a database entry and not super important, but if the German top 100 on your page is taken from beliebte-vornamen.de (or any other site that bases its list on Knut’s) it may be helpful to put a disclaimer that it’s not an official statistic and that spelling variations are combined - just so it’s clear that Frieda & Frida are both used, as are Mathilda & Matilda, Sofie & Sophie and Lucas & Lukas.

5 Likes

idk if this is the right place to put this, but i was looking at [name_f]Fjolla[/name_f] and then wanted to search for albanian names, but i don’t think there’s an albanian option in origins? maybe i’m just confused but i don’t see one

2 Likes

You’re not mistaken. I’m not seeing an Albanian option in the Origins list either.

@katinka… can we add other origins to the list?

3 Likes