Database entries you’d like to see amended

Marzia

Marzia is the Italian variation of [name_f]Marcia[/name_f]

Feminine form of Marcius (Latin)

means “Devoted to the god of war, [name_u]Mars[/name_u]”

1 Like

Same with [name_f]Lakeisha[/name_f], [name_f]Ladasha[/name_f], [name_f]Shaniqua[/name_f], [name_f]Iridessa[/name_f], [name_f]Katniss[/name_f], [name_f]Shanice[/name_f], [name_f]Taniyah[/name_f], [name_f]Aniyah[/name_f], [name_f]Janiyah[/name_f], [name_f]Alida[/name_f], [name_f]Arlenis[/name_f], [name_m]Dak[/name_m], and [name_f]Clea[/name_f].

[name_f]Amiyah[/name_f], [name_f]Cleta[/name_f], [name_f]Matoaka[/name_f], and [name_f]Leucosia[/name_f] has a similar problem to [name_f]Winry[/name_f].

Winry also says in its description that ‘it’s a girls name of origin’ (however the origin is listed by the name at least on this one.)

Since the update, the page for [name_m]Dix[/name_m] gives no indication of the teasing potential, so someone who does not speak [name_f]English[/name_f] as their first language could choose this name without realising the slang meaning.

3 Likes

I think [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] deserves a disclaimer regarding it’s extreme datedness in [name_u]French[/name_u] circles. I’ve been championing the name (among many others) on the boards for years and thinking it was the most forward-thinking, chic name, only to learn from a [name_u]French[/name_u]-Canadian relative that it’s the [name_u]French[/name_u] equivalent of [name_f]Karen[/name_f].

It was the #1 name in [name_m]Quebec[/name_m] between 1955-1964 and now does not chart at all, meaning it’s very dated in a way that ties it to one era.

Someone from [name_m]Quebec[/name_m] told me “it’s the [name_u]French[/name_u] equivalent of [name_f]Karen[/name_f], and I wouldn’t do that to a little girl”
Another Quebecian said “everyone here has an Aunt [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f]”
Another [name_u]French[/name_u] person told me [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] is a “50-60 year old lower-middle class secretary who chain smokes and shouts at children on the street”
Another said, “it makes me think of bad 80s haircuts”

For a name that is so chic and trendy on Nameberry, I reckon this catch should be out in the open. Not every little [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] born these days will run in [name_u]French[/name_u] circles, but a little disclaimer like “though it may be dated in [name_u]French[/name_u] circles, [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] feels fresh and shimmering in the US etc etc…” wouldn’t hurt because I literally had no idea for years.

I made a thread about it here where some [name_u]French[/name_u]-speaking users share their views, either for or against, if you wanted to mine for info.

4 Likes

Elif’s pronunciation is eh-lif, with short e and i :slight_smile: Not ay-leef

1 Like

Alora’s database entry is a little biased. Definitely not the worst, but could use some revising.

1 Like

Could the names Saxo and Clelie be added? [name_u]Saxon[/name_u] and [name_f]Clelia[/name_f] are here, so I think these should be as well :slightly_smiling_face:

Damien says it’s [name_u]French[/name_u] and Russian?

Anatole’s description got cut off at the end lol “if you’re looking for a truly…”

1 Like

This is kind of pedantic but I was on [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f]’s page just now, and I kind of feel the description of [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] [name_f]Lilly[/name_f] is a bit objectifying.

It says the name is enjoying a major comeback thanks to “the hot star of TV Megahit, Lost, [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] [name_f]Lilly[/name_f]”

While [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] is gorgeous, I feel kind of like “hot” is a gross way to describe her. She’s also very intelligent, she’s an author, speaks multiple languages, a dedicated philanthropist, a mother, etc. Maybe a more respectful word than “hot” might be a good idea here?

“thanks to the beautiful star of TV Megahit, Lost, [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] [name_f]Lilly[/name_f]” would be nicer

6 Likes

I think “hot” in this instance was probably meant more in a popular/rising star kind of way, but I totally see what you mean and I’ll amend it today.

1 Like

The name [name_f]Sundance[/name_f] says that it means “obedience” in Korean, this is probably because the entry for the name [name_f]Sun[/name_f] says it means “obedience” in Korean. You might want to change them to [name_f]English[/name_f] word names, since I was looking around and I can’t find any reference to the Korean name Seon/Sun meaning specifically “obedience”.

You might want to update the entry for [name_f]Hilaria[/name_f], because hilariously (geddit?) it turns out that [name_u]Hillary[/name_u] “[name_f]Hilaria[/name_f]” [name_u]Baldwin[/name_u] was born in [name_m]Boston[/name_m] and has faked being Spanish for years.

I copied this from the description of [name_f]Xochitl[/name_f]. The term “Native American” is too general. It is from the Nahuatl language, or the Aztec people. The pronunciation is way off, but I’m not good at describing pronunciations. A native Nahuatl speaker would be able to pronounce it correctly, but in Spanish, people would say “[name_m]Zo[/name_m]-cheel”. Also, no reason to add a tortilla chip brand in there.

{The name [name_f]Xochitl[/name_f] is a girl’s name of Native American origin meaning “flower”.

Xochitl is a Nahuatl – or Aztec – floral name used in southern Mexico and pronounced so-chat-l. Internet entrepreneur Xochi [name_u]Birch[/name_u] is probably the best-known bearer in the US – except for the [name_f]Xochitl[/name_f] brand tortilla chips. Definitely among the most exotic flower names and a fascinating if somewhat difficult choice.}

1 Like

[name_f]Rianne[/name_f] is referred to as a Contemporary American variation of [name_f]Rhiannon[/name_f]. That might well be true, but Rianne is also a name that is relatively common in the Netherlands and has been in use since the 1960s. Under verklaring the source linked states that it is either a derivative/short form of [name_m]Adrian[/name_m], or a combination of the names [name_f]Ria[/name_f]/Rie and [name_f]Anna[/name_f]/Anne. So essentially it’s [name_f]Marianne[/name_f] but short.

I see that the page for [name_f]Svenja[/name_f] is currently empty!

I found some things that could be added to it.

In Old [name_m]German[/name_m], svan means swan. This is also the meaning given to the name [name_f]Svenja[/name_f].

The pronunciation of this name is [name_m]Sven[/name_m]-ya

1 Like

Could the meaning and origin of [name_f]Runa[/name_f] be added? It’s a Japanese name meaning “mighty strength” or “secret love”.

Chasity is no longer in the top 1000, contrary to what the description of the name says.

I love that Nameberry’s database includes Finnish names! Just wanted to make some suggestions based on things I’ve spotted:

[name_f]Vesa[/name_f]

Summary

Nameberry lists Vesa as a girl name, but it is actually a Finnish masculine name:
Vesa - Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Vesa m - Nordic Names

It was popular in the 90s, so I actually went to school with quite a few guys called Vesa!

[name_m]Vaino[/name_m] / Väinö

Summary

I think it would be worth noting in the entry that the dots above A and O in Väinö are very important. :grimacing: Väinö is a Finnish boy name. (It’s not actually a variation of Wayne, but rather short for Väinämöinen, the hero of the Finnish national epic Kalevala. Both names come from the Finnish word väinä which means backwater, as in the stagnant part of a river.)

Vaino without the dots over A and O, on the other hand, is a Finnish word meaning persecution, oppression, or stalking and not used as a name for obvious reasons.

[name_f]Ayn[/name_f]

Summary

Ayn was actually made up by Ayn Rand herself - it’s not a Finnish variation of Ann. (Ayn would actually be an impossibility in Finnish because it goes against the fundamental phonetics of Finnish & Finnish vowel harmony rules).

From Encyclopedia Britannica:

Ayn Rand is the pen name of Alissa Zinovievna Rosenbaum. She adopted it when she moved to the United States in 1926. The first name, which rhymes with “pine,” was inspired by the name of a Finnish writer (whom she declined to identify), and the surname she described as an abbreviation of Rosenbaum.

[name_f]Ailana[/name_f]

Summary

I’d never heard of Ailana before and tried to look into it but I don’t think Ailana is a name used in Finland. It doesn’t really follow the format of Finnish names, and looking at the social security statistics, between 1899-2019 it was given to 0 Finnish children. (I think it’s possible this is a mix up with Alina/Aliina, which is a Finnish name? Finnish for “light bearer”, which is given as the meaning of Ailana, is Valonkantaja, so it doesn’t seem like this name could have been derived from Finnish. Some online sources seem to list Ailana as a Hawaiian name, but I’ve not seen anything very reliable!)

[name_f]Annalie[/name_f]

Summary

I think this might have been mistaken for Anneli, which is a Finnish variation of names like Anneliese, etc. Annalie, again, goes against Finnish spelling/pronunciation rules but I think it’s used in Sweden and Denmark! Maybe listing this as of Scandinavian or Nordic origin would capture the origins better.

[name_m]Kalani[/name_m]

Summary

As the Nameberry entry says, kalani does mean my fish in Finnish, but this is not used as a name. It would be as strange to name a Finnish child Kalani as it would be to name an English child My Fish. :slightly_smiling_face: So this is solely a name of Hawaiian origin!

7 Likes