Divine/dark feminine energy

I’m updating this list as you all provide suggestions, thank you!!

Recently, I came across a meme on FB that said, “Feminine energy is very dark. I’m not sure where the love and light came from. Divine Feminine is like ‘Respect me or be destroyed.’”

I shared it with my friends and one of them replied, “YOU. THAT’S YOU.” :joy: :joy: :joy: I’m still chuckling about it.

Anyway, I’m collecting names with this vibe! You all have come up with so many, I love it! And if anyone is reading this and wondering why a name is on this list, feel free to comment or DM me :blush:

If you can provide a brief reason why the name gives you this vibe, that would be super helpful!!

[name_m]Abaddon[/name_m]
[name_u]Aeron[/name_u]
[name_f]Amara[/name_f]
[name_f]Amarantha[/name_f]
[name_f]Amy[/name_f] / [name_f]Amii[/name_f]
[name_f]Anahita[/name_f]
[name_f]Andromache[/name_f]
[name_f]Andromeda[/name_f]
[name_f]Aphrodite[/name_f]
[name_u]Aries[/name_u]
[name_u]Artemis[/name_u]
[name_f]Arwen[/name_f]
[name_f]Atara[/name_f] / [name_f]Atarah[/name_f]
[name_f]Athena[/name_f]
[name_f]Audrey[/name_f] / [name_f]Audra[/name_f]
Azza
[name_f]Beatrix[/name_f]
[name_f]Belladonna[/name_f]
[name_f]Bellatrix[/name_f]
[name_f]Bernice[/name_f]
[name_u]Blair[/name_u]
[name_f]Branwen[/name_f]
[name_u]Briar[/name_u]
[name_f]Bronte[/name_f]
[name_f]Callisto[/name_f]
[name_u]Calypso[/name_u]
[name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f]
[name_f]Ceres[/name_f]
[name_f]Circe[/name_f]
[name_f]Cleo[/name_f] / [name_f]Cleopatra[/name_f]
[name_f]Clytemnestra[/name_f]
[name_f]Colette[/name_f]
[name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Cressida[/name_f]
[name_f]Dahlia[/name_f]
[name_u]Damaris[/name_u]
[name_f]Davina[/name_f] / [name_f]Divina[/name_f]
[name_u]Delaney[/name_u]
[name_f]Delilah[/name_f]
[name_f]Delyth[/name_f]
[name_f]Domitilla[/name_f]
[name_f]Drucilla[/name_f] / [name_f]Drusilla[/name_f]
[name_f]Edith[/name_f] / [name_f]Edit[/name_f]
[name_f]Elmira[/name_f] / [name_f]Mera[/name_f]
[name_u]Emlyn[/name_u]
[name_f]Esmerelda[/name_f]
[name_f]Estella[/name_f]
[name_f]Faustine[/name_f]
[name_f]Faye[/name_f] / [name_f]Fae[/name_f]
[name_f]Freya[/name_f] / [name_f]Freyja[/name_f]
[name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]
[name_f]Geraldine[/name_f]
[name_f]Greer[/name_f]
[name_f]Guinevere[/name_f]
[name_f]Gunhilda[/name_f]
[name_f]Gwendolyn[/name_f]
[name_f]Gypsy[/name_f]
Hectate
[name_f]Helen[/name_f]
[name_f]Hypatia[/name_f]
[name_u]Huntley[/name_u] / [name_u]Huntleigh[/name_u]
[name_f]Imelda[/name_f]
[name_f]Irina[/name_f]
[name_f]Isolde[/name_f]
[name_f]Jezebel[/name_f]
[name_f]Jinx[/name_f]
[name_f]Kali[/name_f]
[name_f]Lavinia[/name_f]
[name_f]Leila[/name_f]
[name_f]Lenore[/name_f]
[name_f]Ligeia[/name_f] / Lygeia
[name_f]Lilith[/name_f]
[name_u]Louise[/name_u] / [name_f]Louisa[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucretia[/name_f]
[name_f]Luna[/name_f]
[name_f]Maeve[/name_f]
[name_f]Magdalene[/name_f] / [name_f]Magdalena[/name_f]
[name_f]Marcella[/name_f]
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f]
[name_f]Maura[/name_f] / [name_f]Mara[/name_f]
[name_f]Meabh[/name_f]
[name_f]Medea[/name_f]
[name_f]Melantha[/name_f]
[name_f]Melinoe[/name_f]
[name_f]Messalina[/name_f]
[name_f]Minerva[/name_f]
[name_f]Morgana[/name_f]
[name_f]Morrigan[/name_f]
[name_f]Morven[/name_f]
[name_f]Morticia[/name_f]
[name_f]Morwenna[/name_f]
[name_f]Naamah[/name_f]
Nerezza
[name_f]Nicole[/name_f]
[name_f]Nimue[/name_f] / Nineve
[name_f]Nixie[/name_f]
[name_f]Nyx[/name_f]
[name_f]Odile[/name_f]
[name_u]Oleander[/name_u]
[name_f]Olympia[/name_f]
[name_f]Ophelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Ostara[/name_f]
[name_f]Pandora[/name_f]
[name_f]Persephone[/name_f]
[name_u]Phoenix[/name_u]
[name_f]Ramona[/name_f]
[name_u]Raven[/name_u]
[name_u]Rebel[/name_u]
[name_f]Rhiannon[/name_f]
[name_f]Rose[/name_f]
[name_f]Rowena[/name_f]
[name_f]Sabrina[/name_f]
[name_u]Salem[/name_u]
[name_f]Salome[/name_f]
[name_f]Seraphina[/name_f] / [name_f]Serafina[/name_f]
[name_f]Severina[/name_f]
[name_f]Shivani[/name_f]
Siren / [name_f]Sirena[/name_f]
[name_u]Sloane[/name_u]
[name_f]Thana[/name_f]
[name_f]Thora[/name_f]
[name_f]Tipper[/name_f]
[name_f]Tisiphone[/name_f]
[name_f]Valda[/name_f]
[name_f]Valencia[/name_f]
[name_f]Valerie[/name_f] / [name_f]Valeria[/name_f]
[name_f]Vashti[/name_f]
[name_u]Vesper[/name_u]
[name_f]Victoria[/name_f]
[name_u]Vivien[/name_u] / [name_f]Viviane[/name_f]
[name_f]Wednesday[/name_f]
[name_u]Willow[/name_u]
[name_f]Yvaine[/name_f]
Zamilla
[name_f]Zarya[/name_f]
[name_f]Zelda[/name_f]
[name_f]Zilla[/name_f]
[name_f]Zoraida[/name_f]
[name_f]Zuleika[/name_f]

15 Likes

Names that give this dark and powerful vibe:

[name_f]Morrigan[/name_f]: found this name while writing a story about death (kind of a teen fantasy thing); the meaning is phantom queen, and it just sounds kind dark and mysterious.

[name_f]Callisto[/name_f]: a beautiful and mysterious name related to astronomy; something about the bright beginning and dark ending (at least that’s how it seems to me) makes it powerful.

I [name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_u]Artemis[/name_u], [name_f]Athena[/name_f], [name_f]Esmerelda[/name_f], [name_f]Freyja[/name_f], [name_f]Pandora[/name_f], [name_f]Persephone[/name_f], and [name_f]Rowena[/name_f]. They are beautifully dark.

Edit: I forgot to add Bellatrix, which mostly gives me this vibe because of the HP association, but also just because of the cool and somewhat unexpected sounds.

2 Likes

[name_f]Dahlia[/name_f] - black dahlia
[name_f]Delilah[/name_f] - [name_m]Samson[/name_m] and [name_f]Delilah[/name_f]

1 Like

That’s perfect.

[name_f]Branwen[/name_f] - Any name that means raven or is connected to ravens makes me think of old wisdom, secrets and intelligence.
[name_u]Briar[/name_u] - Some might disagree because of the Disney take over, but a briar is actually nature protecting itself, being beautiful and enchanting but not available to any random person who wants to touch it.

4 Likes

That’s a good point! I hadn’t considered this one before!

1 Like

[name_f]Gwendolyn[/name_f]: It’s sort of witchy sounding and it’s not overly bright but it is decidedly feminine. I love [name_f]Gwendolyn[/name_f]!

[name_f]Irina[/name_f]: The Ir makes it more serious sounding than other feminine names and it has a sort of serious but feminine sound to it.

[name_u]Calypso[/name_u]: Well the mythological figure, and the name isn’t overly sweet. It sounds strong yet feminine.

From your list I love [name_f]Andromeda[/name_f], [name_u]Artemis[/name_u], [name_f]Athena[/name_f], [name_f]Freya[/name_f], [name_f]Maura[/name_f], [name_f]Rowena[/name_f]!!!, and [name_f]Seraphina[/name_f]!

1 Like

Love this idea!

Belladonna: Literally means “beautiful woman.” It’s a plant associated with witches, who themselves have been long-associated with women. It produces lovely flowers, but is also highly poisonous. Beautiful but dangerous.

Oleander: Like [name_f]Belladonna[/name_f], [name_u]Oleander[/name_u] is the name of both a beautiful flower and a deadly poison.

Rose: This one might seem a little weird after the first two, but hear me out. Roses are beloved for their beauty, but the phrase “every rose has its thorn” exists for a reason. I love that roses are sweet and beautiful, but dangerous if mishandled.

Maeve: The name of a fearsome queen in Irish mythology. It’s also associated with [name_f]Queen[/name_f] [name_f]Mab[/name_f], who in turn is associated with the Unseelie [name_m]Court[/name_m] in fairy folklore. The meaning of “she who intoxicates” is amazing as well.

Rhiannon: The name of a queen in Welsh mythology, who was intelligent, beautiful, and put up with a lot of crap. She may also have been a goddess.

1 Like

I had no idea about this association!! I love it!

I love the poisonous/thorny flower idea for this theme!! And I can’t believe I forgot about [name_f]Rhiannon[/name_f]! Absolutely belongs on this list :grin:

1 Like

I love your idea of compiling a list like this!

One that hasn’t been mentioned yet is [name_f]Lavinia[/name_f].

I wasn’t 100% sure why [name_f]Lavinia[/name_f] had these vibes to me (aside from being the “mean girl” in A [name_m]Little[/name_m] [name_f]Princess[/name_f], which I don’t think would qualify this name for the divine/dark feminine energy classification on its own). But it just sounded like it belongs. Looking a little further, I read this post about [name_f]Lavinia[/name_f] on Appellation [name_m]Mountain[/name_m]. [name_f]Lavinia[/name_f] was apparently a name carried by several dark yet powerful figures in history and also in literature.

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing. How interesting!

I want to add [name_f]Salome[/name_f]! The [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] [name_u]Wilde[/name_u] play especially personifies her as divine/dark energy for me. (“The long black nights, when the moon hides her face, when the stars are afraid, are not so black. The silence that dwells in the forest is not so black. There is nothing in the world so black as thy hair.” / “She is like a woman rising from a tomb. She is like a dead woman. You would fancy she was looking for dead things. / ” Neither the floods nor the great waters can quench my passion. I was a princess, and thou didst scorn me. I was a virgin, and thou didst take my virginity from me. I was chaste, and thou didst fill my veins with fire . . .” - okay sorry, got too excited about adding in quotes from it! I just adore the play.)

2 Likes

Hecate and Circe! (goddess of witchcraft and magic, and a sorceress who turned odysseus’ crew into pigs)

1 Like

That’s perfect, thank you!

1 Like

Morwenna!

@almostactually - The meaning of [name_f]Morwenna[/name_f] is lovely! What gives this name a “dark” feminine vibe for you?

I’m not too familiar with the name [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f], except how similar it is to Evangelical Christianity. Is there a “dark” feminine vibe for you?

1 Like

Something about the sound: beautiful, mysterious, and strong. I believe I read it on a dark character at some point?

1 Like

@almostactually [name_m]Ah[/name_m] yes, I think I found the character, definitely fits!

1 Like

A name that I forgot to mention: [name_f]Nimue[/name_f]. [name_f]Lady[/name_f] of the [name_u]Lake[/name_u], powerful sorceress, sealed away [name_m]Merlin[/name_m].

1 Like

Delyth, [name_f]Delilah[/name_f], [name_f]Amara[/name_f], [name_f]Amarantha[/name_f]