Do you cringe when you hear people's pet's names?

[name]Do[/name] you feel bad when you hear someone say they’re going to name their dog ‘[name]Buddy[/name]’ (what about [name]Chase[/name] or [name]Wednesday[/name]?) or their white cat Snowball? (how about [name]Bianca[/name] or [name]Odette[/name]?)

[name]Even[/name] as a kid I took naming a pet as a SERIOUS decision! And I also tend to like people names for pets. Frogs named [name]Martha[/name] and [name]George[/name], cats named [name]Wesley[/name] and [name]Vincent[/name].

Anyone else get upset when you hear about your friend’s new black cat ‘[name]Midnight[/name]’?

I had a cat named, Snowball but I was only a few months old when we found her (on the side of the road) poor baby. But ALL our other animals mostly were given people names.
For example (If I can remember them all…I lived on a farm, btw)
[name]Molly[/name] - Dog* Parents still have
[name]Oliver[/name] - [name]Cat[/name]
[name]Izabelle[/name] ([name]Izzy[/name]) - [name]Cat[/name]* Parents still have
[name]Buddy[/name] - [name]Bird[/name]
Fez (yes, after That '70s show :)) - [name]Bird[/name]
[name]Ruby[/name] - Dog
[name]Ginger[/name] - Dog
Shredder (My brother loved Ninja Turtles) - Dog
Mao-Mao (Chinese for cat) - [name]Cat[/name]
[name]Jazmyn[/name] (I liked weird spelling as a kid; Now I don’t!) - [name]Bunny[/name] Rabbit

I Can’t think of anymore now. Haha. But as an adult now If/When I get a dog or cat I would name them something nice (Well maybe if I had a kid let them name it, that would be nice) :).

Mm. I have so many friends with dogs named [name]Roxie[/name] or [name]Roxy[/name] or some other variation. We almost named my dog [name]Roxie[/name], but her name is [name]Shelby[/name]. I’m glad, because it totally fits her. My old dog had a rather unheard of name - it was [name]Rommel[/name], after [name]Erwin[/name] [name]Rommel[/name]. He was some important person in WWII. Haha. He was amazing and the name fit him perfectly as well. But yes, I take pet naming seriously as well. I don’t want my dog to be one of many Buddys - the next dog we get is going to be named R.J. (we already decided that; it stands for [name]Rommel[/name] [name]Junior[/name]) but after that, I’ll probably be moved out and with my own dogs. Currently, I like the names [name]Teddy[/name] (after [name]Teddy[/name] Lupin, yes), [name]Reggie[/name] (kind of a guilty pleasure name for me), [name]Sully[/name] (from Monsters Inc.), and Skeeter for dogs. I don’t like cats as much, but if I ever got one it would be [name]Mitzie[/name] for a girl and [name]Milo[/name] for a boy (which is another guilty pleasure name for me.) A bird, I’ve already decided, would undoubtedly be Oiseau. It’s French for ‘bird’ and it’s pronounced wah-zo. I love it, haha. :slight_smile:

No, I’ve never done that. Maybe it’s because I’ve never really had pets, but I love it when people have pets with funny names. I have a friend with a dog named [name]Madonna[/name], and I think it’s hysterical

[name]Pet[/name] names are almost always acceptable, although sometimes a little bit literal or obvious. The only pet names I really can’t stand are when there are little chihuahuas or poodles named things like Snuggie-Poo and Sweetie-Pie and things like that.

@heytherepigeon I have a dog named [name]Roxy[/name] lol, [name]Shelby[/name] is a cute dog name though [name]Rommel[/name] is interesting but very strange (imo) seeing how he was a Nazi but I guess people can take more liberties with pet names.

I don’t cringe so much as do a tilt in confusion. Like: “Oh, you named your dog [name]Maggie[/name]? Wow. Now I have another [name]Maggie[/name] to add to the lengthy list of [name]Maggie[/name]'s I already know.” “Hello, [name]Lily[/name], you’re the fifth cat I’ve met in the past week with that name.” Of course, my pets are named [name]Shasta[/name], [name]Birdie[/name], [name]Carmel[/name], and [name]Jemima[/name] (though we’re still voting on her name), and I bet people cringe when they see that [name]Birdie[/name] is in fact a dog, not a bird.

But I think there’s a lot of liberties when naming a pet. I mean, it’s a dog/cat/hamster. They’re cute enough to pull off Snowball, Muffin Cheeks, or Sir [name]Charles[/name] the II, [name]Duke[/name] of the Fishbowl. My cats middle name is Pumpkin Cutie. Were she not adorable it wouldn’t work.

I would probably only cringe if I met one of those tiny purse dogs named “[name]Honey[/name]-Boo-Boo Schookums [name]Bear[/name].”

• [name]Athena[/name]

No, I don’t cringe. I love cutesy names for pets. It gives you the chance to use names you love, but wouldn’t use on a child. I find I can’t use some names on a child, because they remind me of people’s pets. I’ve known too many poodles named [name]Chloe[/name] for example. When I was a kid, we weren’t allowed to use people names on our pets, as my mother thought it would be offensive to some people.

I’m pretty accepting of just about any pet name. [name]One[/name] thing that DOES make me cringe is when people oppose a name for a person because “it’s a dog name” (or cat name or whatever). People use awesome “human” names on their pets, like [name]Roxie[/name] and [name]Lily[/name], and it seems like once people meet one of these pets they start forever after associating that name as an animal name. I think people often choose fun sounding, whimsical names that they might be afraid to use on a person – but they are still awesome names for some of us to use on people!
My husband vetoed [name]Rufus[/name] on the dog name logic btw, so I’m still a little bitter on this topic :slight_smile:

I’ve had pets with “pet” names and people names, but I tend to prefer people names. I think pets can give us a chance to use names we like but that we wouldn’t want to use for a child. Or names your husband likes but that you want to keep off-limits for a child, haha (Wilberforce, I’m looking at you). My dogs are [name]Winston[/name] and [name]Abby[/name]…[name]Winston[/name] for [name]Winston[/name] [name]Churchill[/name], one of my husband’s heroes, and [name]Abby[/name], just because I like the name. My husband has lots of heroes whose names he’d like to incorporate into a child’s name, so I’m glad to use some for pets that I’d be less likely to use for a person. I like the name [name]Abby[/name] but I’m not in love with [name]Abigail[/name], and I’m not one to use as a first name what is more commonly a nickname, so using it for the dog was a great choice for me.

I’m just annoyed that all my friends seem to name their pets with people names that I might want to use! I had my heart set on [name]Zoe[/name] for a girl, and now I keep coming across a million dogs and cats named that. Grr! My mom’s dog just had 9 puppies, and I told her, “please tell me what you’re naming them so I can tell you if it’s on my baby list and change your mind.” haha

We named our dog [name]Maggie[/name] and then discovered that there are 3 human Maggies living in our neighbourhood. The two older ones thought it was cute. The little girl [name]Maggie[/name] said: “OH NO, not ANOTHER [name]Maggie[/name]!!!” (There are at least two other doggie Maggies in our neighbourhood too!) So, while I understand the reasoning behind giving your pet a human name, I’ve also come to realize that it might be considerate to give them names that are very seldom used in real life -like naming them after characters in your favourite movie or book (if those characters don’t have popular human names). I think for our next pets, we might go through LOTR characters… I have no idea why we didn’t do that the first time around! In any case, please don’t use my brother’s (when he was little) method of naming pets by their most distinguishing feature -Striped Paw is useful in identifying which cat you’re talking about but is very difficult to call out the back door. (That one got vetoed btw).
:slight_smile:

My animals were either given their name, or they just aquired it… [name]One[/name] of my dogs had three name changes before it was ‘right’! Their names are: [name]Kyla[/name] [name]Marie[/name], [name]Alfred[/name] “[name]Alfie[/name]” Roo, [name]Kailee[/name] [name]Korbyn[/name], [name]Red[/name] Rover “RedDog”, and Tiggie Shoes “[name]Tig[/name] [name]Tig[/name]”. Their names all manage to fit them perfectly! :slight_smile:

I wouldn’t mind a name like Snowball if there was only one, but you know there’s a billion. I also don’t mind people names, it just has to ‘fit’.

Has it really come to this? Judging people for their pet names?

I’m with you, although I wouldn’t say I cringe. I prefer to stay away from popular names in general, like [name]Midnight[/name] or Snowball. I don’t necessarily feel a pet’s name should be acceptable for a person, but if it isn’t, it should be clever and unique (your dog’s never going for an interview after all). Like a pug named Spark Pug. I named a dog something my then boyfriend, now husband said I could never use for a baby (also a great use for a pet’s name). His name is [name]Linus[/name]. And I have a gecko named [name]Hannah[/name] [name]Montana[/name] Sparkle [name]Flower[/name] (what a 6 year old tried to name the dog, I usually just call him [name]Guy[/name]).

Lol. I love people that have fun pet names. I currently have two cats…[name]Aspen[/name] [name]Svetlana[/name] and [name]Jinx[/name] [name]Anastasia[/name]. [name]Aspen[/name] is solid gray and long haired…I named her [name]Aspen[/name] because it is a place name that I love but would not actually name a child. [name]Jinx[/name] is a tiger striped with short hair…I named her [name]Jinx[/name] because I got her on Friday the 13th. The name she came with was Tinkerbell but that did not suit her at all. Their middle names are a way for me to use names that I love but can’t use.

My BFF has cats named Monkie (a girl), Bubby and [name]Sullivan[/name] ([name]Sully[/name]) and dogs named [name]Kayla[/name] and [name]Finnegan[/name] ([name]Finn[/name]/Finny).

The only time I “cringe” is when people name their cats [name]Kitty[/name] or their dog Doggie. That just seems lazy to me.

The only name that made me cringe is my boyfriend’s cat, Snowflake. However his 3sisster named him and he has very little white on him. I liked the name his mom picked Tannenbaum, called [name]Tannen[/name]. His other cat is Elainie and his dog is Polamalu, called [name]Paulie[/name] with fish Reever and C.P.
I had a fish named [name]Tommy[/name] when I was young. My dogg came named with Flapjack but I shortened to [name]Jack[/name] and I have Einstein the rat who was almost [name]Napoleon[/name].
I think [name]Napoleon[/name] will be a cat later. My future dogs will be Nevermore ([name]Nev[/name]), Amontillado ([name]Monty[/name]) and Khan.

I only cringe at people calling their [name]Jack[/name] [name]Russell[/name]'s “[name]Jack[/name]” or giving their pets middle names. With the latter just because…they’re not people!

Otherwise anything goes really. I’ve got 2 cats named [name]Rocky[/name] and [name]Duke[/name] and a puppy named [name]Milly[/name]. Their names seemed to fit them.

I have talked about naming dogs [name]Fifi[/name], Tinkerbelle, or Sugarcube, but only Dobermans or Danes, then its funny. [name]Just[/name] like I don’t like “tough dog” names on big dogs but they’re amusing on Chihuahuas.

I would name a purse dog [name]Mace[/name]. [name]Just[/name] because it makes me laugh.

[name]Rommel[/name] as “some important guy in WWII” really? Yuck.