Do you find the name Dixie offensive?

I’ve read in other forums (yahoo questions) that some people find [name]Dixie[/name] to be an offensive name for a child. I love the name but don’t want to name my baby something that would potentially offend someone. And with the obvious Freudian elephant in the room of ‘[name]Dix[/name]’ I’m worried this name can’t win for losing. What do you guys say?

I would say it’s an unwise choice. It doesnt offend me, personally, but I can certainly see how it would. Thats not to mention all the stereotypes that people might have about someone named [name]Dixie[/name] and the [name]DIX[/name] right up front. I’d just avoid all that trouble and choose something else.

[name]Beatrix[/name] ‘[name]Trixie[/name]’?

I don’t find it offensive personally, but I can see why others might. It’s also just not much of a name (it’s quite nickname-y). I would second the suggestion of [name]Beatrix[/name] nn [name]Trixie[/name]. Similar sound, but with a more substantial full name, plus it has none of the problems associated with [name]Dixie[/name].

Racial issues, disposable cup issues, “dix,” and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yT2Hiw-Z_A this sort of image.

Pass.

[name]Trixie[/name] is troubled for me because of a “trick” being a prostitute.

I really know [name]Dolly[/name] has image issues too (despite my fangirl-ism for Miss [name]Parton[/name]) but I’d go [name]Dolly[/name] before [name]Dixie[/name] in a minute.

Yeah, [name]Trixie[/name] isnt my favorite either, but at least it’d be a nickname?

[name]One[/name] reason I love [name]Dahlia[/name] is for the nickname ‘[name]Dolly[/name]’. :slight_smile:

I’m not big on [name]Trixie[/name] either because I associate it with more of a pet name. Thanks for helping with the decision NOT to name my baby this name. I’ve been trying to come up with SOME reason to use it, but you are all right. It’s not a fitting name for a little girl, unless its a pet :p. I don’t mind [name]Dolly[/name] at all especially because its so girly, but I think I’m sticking with [name]Elodie[/name] [name]Anna[/name] and not [name]Elodie[/name] [name]Dixie[/name].

[name]Dixie[/name] isn’t offensive to me, especially as a middle name. With [name]Elodie[/name], I prefer [name]Anna[/name] though because of the similar -ie endings with [name]Elodie[/name] and [name]Dixie[/name].

[name]Elodie[/name] [name]Anna[/name] is very sweet and classy and girly. [name]Love[/name].

That’s really weird cause I was thinking of this name last night as there was a little girl on the TV with the name. I don’t find it offensive, though I’m not American, I just came to the conclusion that it was interesting as it was unusual, but I still didn’t like it.

The only offensive thing about [name]Dixie[/name] is that it’s a dumb name. Ditto to [name]Trixie[/name].

This. They just sound incredibly ditsy.

I love country music but somehow this song slipped by me unknowingly. THANK YOU! For introducing this song to me. After reading the lyrics to this song, I realize its not a good look at all! Lol.

Thanks! [name]Elodie[/name] [name]Anna[/name] is the name I’ve had along but there was something about [name]Dixie[/name].

it’s not offensive to me, but I don’t like it at all. [name]How[/name] about [name]Daisy[/name] instead?

Why don’t you Google the name [name]Dixie[/name] since you were also on Yahoo? It’s just a nickname meaning Southern. I’ll link the Wikipedia to help with the names origin and meaning. You know it’s been used by the band the [name]Dixie[/name] Chicks, the name of university, as well as the actress [name]Dixie[/name] [name]Carter[/name]. On this website, it’s one of [name]Pam[/name] and [name]Linda[/name]'s Sweet Spot names that’s also a perfect balance between fitting-in and standing-out.

[name]Elodie[/name] [name]Anne[/name] sounds much better than [name]Elodie[/name] [name]Dixie[/name] anyway. It’s really lovely!

Yea I researched and asked family and friends but most friends and family say what I wanna hear kinda thing :slight_smile: thanks for the links!

I wouldn’t find the name [name]Dixie[/name] offensive (and honestly, I can’t even figure why it would be), but like many pp I just don’t find it very attractive. I definitely prefer [name]Elodie[/name] [name]Anna[/name] and I think it’s very cute :slight_smile:

Forgive my ignorance, but how is it offensive? Personally, it isn’t my style, but I don’t see how it could be offensive. Sorry if I’m just dumb haha.

I’m thinking the whole Southern pride being seen as white pride thing? I think where I’m from there’d be a lot of assumptions about the kind of parents that name their kid [name]Dixie[/name] - but I’m not Southern. It would be seen at best as hillbilly and probably would get a lot of people on the defensive about race stuff. Would be a bit strange on a kid no matter what race they were, too.

Or that is what I was thinking, in terms of offensive, anyway.