Do you find the name Dixie offensive?

Yeah, it’s offensive because it’s kind of the name that the South went by when it was full of slaves. [name]Dixie[/name] was almost a rally cry of the South during Civil War. It’s just not the kind of image I’d want associated with my daughter.

I don’t find this name offensive, although I do think it is a horrible name anyway. I feel it really lacks character and strength, and the phonetics are not pleasing to the ear.

Good luck!

My friend has a super sweet border collie named [name]Dixie[/name]. This info probably does not help your battle.

I don’t find it offensive at all but if I heard you discussing “[name]Dixie[/name]” I would assume you were referring to your small fluffy dog! I think it’s ok as a nickname but I wouldn’t want it to be my full name. [name]Hope[/name] that’s helpful.

While [name]Dixie[/name] is definitely not my favorite name, it’s as sugar-sweet, down-home, Southern girl as they come! I’m FROM [name]Dixie[/name], and this may be my Southern pride talking, but how on earth would someone consider that offensive? O.o

This. If you find the name [name]Dixie[/name] to be offensive, then you’re a pretty ignorant person.

I don’t find it offensive in the least (Ditto sleepysessha ^). People will immediately assume you’re Southern, but there’s nothing wrong with that : )

I actually know a [name]Dixie[/name] (in the [name]West[/name] US, nowhere near the South) and while it’s not my style, I find nothing offensive about it. I don’t think the “[name]Dix[/name]” will really cause many problems…I mean how many men are named/nicknamed [name]Dick[/name]? And as far as they know the jokes are only occasional for them. It seems to me like it’d be a stretch to make a joke about a [name]Dixie[/name]. My only issue is that it feels more like a nickname than a proper name.

I guess it kind of glorifies the ‘old south’ and that could be very offensive to some. I actually thought of [name]Dixie[/name] Cups first, but I am from the north! I didn’t make the “[name]Dix[/name]” connection somehow. Soundwise I somehow find [name]Dixie[/name] more elegant than [name]Trixie[/name].

I wouldn’t use it cause of the old south connection, though I like the sound and actually had a doll I called [name]Dixie[/name] when I was a little girl. I think [name]Dolly[/name] or [name]Delta[/name] might be a better bet. Or maybe something like [name]Etta[/name], [name]Betty[/name], [name]Dinah[/name], [name]Pixie[/name], [name]Maxi[/name], [name]Minnie[/name], [name]Winnie[/name], [name]Ginnie[/name], [name]Lettie[/name], [name]Patsy[/name], [name]Betsy[/name], ect?

I don’t find it offensive, but I can see teasing potential with that name. I can see someone saying to her, “Oh, my dog’s name is [name]Dixie[/name]” or something far worse. I think [name]Elodie[/name] [name]Anna[/name] is beautiful though :slight_smile:

I don’t find it offensive at all. Good grief, I guess some people can offended over anything. I have known several over 70’s women named [name]Dixie[/name]. I have also met a 3 yr old with the name and she was adorable.

I must not understand what you mean by the old South, because I certainly can’t see what would be offensive about it. Have you ever read [name]Eugenia[/name] [name]Price[/name] or toured historical [name]Savannah[/name]? If not, I highly recommend :slight_smile: The “old South” is beautiful and evocative, rich in history and tradition, its own unique culture and community. I’m apparently missing the point somewhere.

I’m from the South and the only Dixies I know are dogs. Oh wait… I actually know a guy named [name]Dixie[/name]. Anyway, I don’t care for the name but I don’t see how it could possibly be offensive. Because it’s Southern and people from the South used to own slaves? Well that rules out [name]Georgia[/name] and [name]Savannah[/name] and [name]Carolina[/name], too.

Oh. My. Gosh. Is the anti-[name]Dixie[/name] sentiment really a slavery thing? Because of course the entirety of colonial [name]America[/name] didn’t participate in slavery, it was just those darn Southern plantation owners :expressionless: Wow.

Well let’s back up for a second. [name]Via[/name] Wikipedia:

The song originated in the blackface minstrel shows of the 1850s and quickly grew famous across the United States. Its lyrics, written in a comic, exaggerated version of African American Vernacular English, tell the story of a freed black slave pining for the plantation of his birth.

It’s one thing to say you don’t find the connotations to be personally disturbing, but to outright say anyone who might find it unsettling or celebratory of sentiment they personally find offensive “ignorant” seems at least as ill-informed as the reverse, or arrogant at best.

I don’t see it as comparable to a name like [name]Georgia[/name]. [name]One[/name] is not necessarily degrading the South as a region or Southerners as a culture to say that [name]Dixie[/name] itself has a lot more baggage than other geographical or regional references that pertain to the South.

It’s not just a name like [name]Magnolia[/name] that suggests Southern? I don’t think it has to be coming from a place of anger or contempt to say that it could get a mix of reactions from different people, especially assuming that someone by that name might want to live in other parts of the country?

That’s aside from the general Skynyrd-ish flavour that’s turned off the OP, lol.

I do like a lot of other Southern-flavoured names. :slight_smile:

I have. It was so beautiful :slight_smile: [name]Love[/name] [name]Savannah[/name]. [name]Love[/name] [name]Georgia[/name] in general.

Look, I’m from the South (well, rural central [name]Virginia[/name] if that counts). I’m not personally offended by the ‘name’ [name]Dixie[/name]. However, the fact remains that [name]Dixie[/name] is a direct reference to slavery, which could very well be offensive to some. And to call someone ignorant for recognizing that? I’d say thats close-minded and self-centered.

[name]Magnolia[/name], [name]Georgia[/name], [name]Scarlett[/name], whatever. You can appreciate/love/use names reminiscent of the old south without throwing race and slavery in to the mix. It’s the same reason why even though I love [name]Jemima[/name] and [name]Dinah[/name], I’d never use them.

Or, yeah, I could just nod along with Stripedsocks up there. :slight_smile:

Hmm, I would think that, in [name]America[/name] anyway, [name]Jemima[/name] would be more widely offensive than [name]Dixie[/name]. Because [name]Jemima[/name] has a singular, strong cultural association and racial stereotype, whereas [name]Dixie[/name] has a wide variety of associations (as pointed out by many here), some being negative.

I actually find it a bit more stylish since [name]Caleb[/name] from Kings of [name]Leon[/name] used it for his baby girl recently. It definitely screams southern flair. I don’t find it offensive at all. But it definitely won’t impress everyone either.

I guess there is song called ‘dixie’ that can be perceived with racial connotations. I [name]LOVE[/name] southern names, my kids are named [name]Silas[/name], [name]Charlie[/name] [name]Joe[/name] and [name]Belle[/name]. I SO WANTED to name my fourth and final child [name]Dixie[/name] because it matches my other kids names, and it’s a bit unique. I do have to agree with everyone else that says [name]Dixie[/name] is more oft an animal name.