Do you find the name Dixie offensive?

As a northerner (born and raised in the northern midwest), I admit I have a few stereotypes in mind about the type of parents that would name their daughter [name]Dixie[/name], and they aren’t all positive.

Well that is EXACTLY why I asked the question (smismar). I too am from the north but don’t have a judgemental outlook like most northerners do. That’s why I figured it was worth the ask. I’d rather name my children happy welcoming names than stuffy stuck up names :slight_smile:

On the surface, [name]Dixie[/name] is cute, but I think it carries baggage that isn’t happy and welcoming.

Connections I made, from a non-Southern-but-not-quite-Northern-because-I-live-in-[name_u]California[/name_u] perspective:

[name_u]Winn[/name_u]-[name_f]Dixie[/name_f] was my first thought.
The Old South reference (which I don’t think is an issue, but if you think it’s an issue, then definitely don’t use it)
Teenagers are going to tease the heck out of that kid.
I don’t personally like the name, but it’s completely your call.
Sounds more like an animal’s name to me.

its offensive that we have to worry about [name_f]Dixie[/name_f] being offensive

its such a short name that id never shorten it or call someone [name_m]Dix[/name_m]

otherwise we’d have to get rid of the name [name_m]Dickson[/name_m] as well as the classic [name_m]Richard[/name_m] and [name_m]Dick[/name_m]

i think it has lots of charm

if you cant get past it try [name_f]Roxy[/name_f]

[b]
ID [name_u]READ[/name_u] THE WIKI [name_u]PAGE[/name_u]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dixie[/b]

it seems a lot of people are commenting and taking snippets of facts OUT OF CONTEXT

its not just a song, but refers to a region, currency, & the [name_u]Mason[/name_u]-[name_m]Dixon[/name_m] line

[name_m]Don[/name_m]´t find it offensive at all! It´s a gorgeous name in my opinion, love it to bits! I am a huge American [name_m]History[/name_m] fan, and do not find it offensive, just as I don´t find [name_u]North[/name_u] offensive, but I guess it all in what point of view it is seen.

I went to school with a girl named [name_f]Dixie[/name_f], and I don’t remember anyone being offending by the name (but I live in the South). And no one ever teased her with the nickname of “[name_m]Dix[/name_m].” I was friends with her, she was really sweet.

Thanks for that, basicsand. I was starting to think I was crazy. I have a sweet spot for [name_f]Dixie[/name_f], myself. I like it – and always have. And I am not partial toor indulgent of the American South. For example, I always liked the bumper sticker with an international NO stamped over the Confederate flag and the words. “You lost. Get over it.” Harsh, perhaps, but it’s time to move on from that history.

[name_f]Dixie[/name_f], on the other hand, I’ve always liked. I have no good reason for that. I adored my older brother, and a girl in his crowd was named [name_f]Dixie[/name_f]? Perhaps not good reason enough, but I find it a short, sweet, upbeat name. If you are looking for substance or tradition you might want to look elsewhere, but if you might name a child [name_f]Annie[/name_f] or [name_f]Sophie[/name_f], [name_f]Dixie[/name_f] could be a good fit for you.